WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Surreal. One year ago today...

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
I got Palytoxin in my eye melting my cornea. Today, I have a dude here stripping the tank bare & adding new rock. I will start over with only SPS (hard stony type) corals. No more crazy, toxic shit. I have to say my anxiety level is up there. This must be what it feels like to be on meth.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Legally blind in my left eye. The transplant took but got a wicked cataract. Has to get replaced again. I go back in 2 weeks for a consult on the next surgery. I’ll be getting an artificial cornea this time. If all goes well, vision will be restored.
Wow , I’m so sorry to hear that , you’ve been through Hell and back !

Reactions: BTR

Keymyster

Reaction score
I remember also about your eye. Well I hope everything comes out great for you. Have good vision again.

buck35

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky when bubble algae overtook my reef setup. I hope it all works out for you , but I really miss my setup.. :(:mad:

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Well about 98% of the soft corals and zoas are out. About 1/3 of the live rock too. Tank got real cloudy and slimy so we stopped to let it settle down. Finishing it up on Saturday. Looking forward to having new things to grow that won’t kill you.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I have followed your injury throughout the last year. Doesn’t seem like that long ago. I could imagine you are dealing with tremendous anxiety and relief all at the same time.
It’s amazing what they can do with eyes now. Good luck on the artificial transplant. I hope it goes well.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I remember that and still think it’s a crazy story. Never heard of that before it happened to you..

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
My left eye was a bum steer from the day I was born. Never known anything else. It is what it is.
Some pics of the tank when completed are due.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
This was it before and after. Not an inch of open real estate. They were killing each other with the chemical warfare that got me. The bottom right green guys in particular.
B2D28A8C-61CB-4B8C-B649-79F82946A6A0.jpeg
B8A7E906-717B-4B7A-A152-313963AF7E20.jpeg

mbrown2

Reaction score
That's crazy....wish you well on the next surgery. Link to the original thread? Who would have know salt water coral reefs could be so deadly....I looked up that Palytoxin as I never heard of it before.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
That's crazy....wish you well on the next surgery. Link to the original thread? Who would have know salt water coral reefs could be so deadly....I looked up that Palytoxin as I never heard of it before.

I knew. I got a bit careless and removed something from the water and it squirted me on the eye brow. I quickly wiped it away but had slime on my fingers from moving things and that is what got in. Though I was OK because I flushed the eye well but woke up at midnight with it feeling like it was on fire. Went to ER for more flushing and got prescribed steroid drops. 4 day’s later, eye turned white and I went to my eye doc. They checked pressure, none. Then looked at it for 10 seconds and said go to Loma Linda immediately. That night transplant to cover the hole that had been burned through causing my inner eye fluid to leak out. They saved the eye and I can see out of it but it’s like looking through a glass of milk.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I knew. I got a bit careless and removed something from the water and it squirted me on the eye brow. I quickly wiped it away but had slime on my fingers from moving things and that is what got in. Though I was OK because I flushed the eye well but woke up at midnight with it feeling like it was on fire. Went to ER for more flushing and got prescribed steroid drops. 4 day’s later, eye turned white and I went to my eye doc. They checked pressure, none. Then looked at it for 10 seconds and said go to Loma Linda immediately. That night transplant to cover the hole that had been burned through causing my inner eye fluid to leak out. They saved the eye and I can see out of it but it’s like looking through a glass of milk.

I've wondered how you've been doing a few times...

Hope you get it restored!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Hope nothing but the best for you. You’ve been totally up front and open about this. Perhaps some have read and understood. I hope so. Salt Water Aquariums, beautiful - but there are some major cautions.