WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Surround Sound System

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
We recently removed the carpet in our den and installed flooring, but the flooring installer said that all the wiring I have for my existing system that I ran between the base molding and the tack strip won't work with the flooring. My system is over 20 years old with a 10 year old Yamaha AV receiver and I'm thinking of upgrading to a wireless system and came across this system from Klipsch.

I don't need a reference sound system, just something that sounds clear and since it's wireless I'll only need power for amps in the speakers which isn't a problem. I'm sure there are better systems, but for what I need this looks fine.

What are your thoughts?

Taboma

Reaction score
We recently removed the carpet in our den and installed flooring, but the flooring installer said that all the wiring I have for my existing system that I ran between the base molding and the tack strip won't work with the flooring. My system is over 20 years old with a 10 year old Yamaha AV receiver and I'm thinking of upgrading to a wireless system and came across this system from Klipsch.

I don't need a reference sound system, just something that sounds clear and since it's wireless I'll only need power for amps in the speakers which isn't a problem. I'm sure there are better systems, but for what I need this looks fine.

What are your thoughts?

If you can support only the rear surrounds being wireless, I'm inclined to believe you're going to get far more bang from the 1200 5.1 system with the 12" sub.
I don't think you can expect much, despite the creative marketing, from 3" woofers 🥴

RCDave

Reaction score
What Taboma said.

The new Yamaha AVR receivers are solid in this respect. They accommodate wireless surround and subwoofer speakers. Makes wiring up the front and center channels easier.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I didn't even pick up on the 3" woofers, I thought there was a separate subwoofer, but looking again I see that there isn't one. Their 1200 5.1 system is out of stock.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The sonos surround setups sound pretty damn good. They offer a wireless sub that thumps also. Not cheap though when you piece it all together!

azsunfun

Reaction score
you couldn't just add moldiing on top of fooring for the wiring, nevermind i got the need new system mindset.;)

c_land

Reaction score
The sonos surround setups sound pretty damn good. They offer a wireless sub that thumps also. Not cheap though when you piece it all together!
Sonos is seriously badass. You need very few of the speakers to have an awesome sounding system

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
you couldn't just add moldiing on top of fooring for the wiring, nevermind i got the need new system mindset.;)
I'd rather not get a new system, but I need to get wiring across a path of travel in an open area and I'm on a concrete slab foundation and I have a sliding door behind the sofa I need to go over and around. Wireless it what makes sense for my situation.

C-2

Reaction score
If you have time you can find great deals on OfferUp, especially when the person misspells the item and nobody else is looking at it, lol.

Later this evening I'm picking up two subs for $100 that retailed for $600 new. There's usually a lot of home theater and subwoofer stuff on OfferUp.

Patience is key though.

Good luck!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sonos is seriously badass. You need very few of the speakers to have an awesome sounding system
I've been rigging my house up with a combination of Sonos and traditional amps / speakers. Running a few of the Sonos "Five" bookshelf speakers (the big boys) in the 2 main rooms, then a few of the sonos "one" smaller speakers in kitchen and upstairs. For the outside, I have an old integra 3-zone amp using a Sonos port as a source. It all shows up on the sonos app for control. Eventually i'll use elan as a control software and that will let me control the integra receiver and and independently adjust the 3 zones like sonos, and it will also run the sonos.

Reactions: C-2

C-2

Reaction score
I've been rigging my house up with a combination of Sonos and traditional amps / speakers. Running a few of the Sonos "Five" bookshelf speakers (the big boys) in the 2 main rooms, then a few of the sonos "one" smaller speakers in kitchen and upstairs. For the outside, I have an old integra 3-zone amp using a Sonos port as a source. It all shows up on the sonos app for control. Eventually i'll use elan as a control software and that will let me control the integra receiver and and independently adjust the 3 zones like sonos, and it will also run the sonos.

Those look like awesome speakers, I'm guessing they sound great.

Audio stuff is crazy, it makes boating look cheap. Last night I was watching a guy showing the proper way to set a turntable up...and ONE speaker cable he was using cost $18K. What! Lol, I'm fretting over a few hundy to build my own RCA jacks. Doh! I mean interconnect cables.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Something you may or may not have thought about is what the acoustics are going to sound like now without carpet. Hope you don't get a lot of sound bouncing around without something like carpet, drapes, etc to absorb some of it.

dave29

Reaction score
+1 om Sonos. Put a system in about 5 months ago. Amazing!!

Taboma

Reaction score
Those look like awesome speakers, I'm guessing they sound great.

Audio stuff is crazy, it makes boating look cheap. Last night I was watching a guy showing the proper way to set a turntable up...and ONE speaker cable he was using cost $18K. What! Lol, I'm fretting over a few hundy to build my own RCA jacks. Doh! I mean interconnect cables.

Who the hell even has hearing that can discern those micro-acoustical variations and differences ? This sounds like another version of a "Dick Measuring" contest.

Fortunately I haven't possessed that keen of hearing since I was a child. After that, a multitude of real life of playing in rock bands, Army warfare, construction, drag racing, loud back engines, all contributed to my current " What, What, speak up, I see your lips moving, What's that you're mouthing ? "

At any rate, keeps my acoustical reproduction costs well within reach. 😂 Oh, and thank God for closed caption on my TV 👍

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Something you may or may not have thought about is what the acoustics are going to sound like now without carpet. Hope you don't get a lot of sound bouncing around without something like carpet, drapes, etc to absorb some of it.
Very true. Just removed our carpet and went LVT very hollow and echoey. better now that we put a rug down. You can hear the difference in every room just talking.

FYI: https://www.klipsch.com/ they are having an up to 50% sale in July if you are still considering them.

Jay Dub

Reaction score

What are your thoughts?
you also can notch the wall and or the backside of the molding to run the wires. I have done this a few times.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

We just had Soundbank install this in our house in Havasu. Big soundbar under the tv, Sub, Amp, 2 in ceiling speakers (not sonos) and tie the garage/backyard (all Polk stuff) to another control setup. I haven't gotten to hear it, so ill report back on that at the end of the month when we get there...but it looks bitchin in pics.

Baja 252

Reaction score
I reciently took out my surround system, went with a soundbar, sub and wireless back speakers (Samsung) Junk stuff, but I don't miss the surround system.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
you also can notch the wall and or the backside of the molding to run the wires. I have done this a few times.
You missed the post where I said that I have to cross a pathway in an open area and I've got a sliding glass door behind the sofa where there's no provision to get the wires across.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I'd rather not get a new system, but I need to get wiring across a path of travel in an open area and I'm on a concrete slab foundation and I have a sliding door behind the sofa I need to go over and around. Wireless it what makes sense for my situation.

No attic?

Ricks raft

Reaction score
If you don't want to upgrade or change anything. There are wireless speaker transmitter and receivers to use with your existing equipment

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I have the Sonos arc/ sub and two of the small speakers I think it sounds better than any of my old surround sound systems. and it took about 5 minutes to hook up

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Who the hell even has hearing that can discern those micro-acoustical variations and differences ? This sounds like another version of a "Dick Measuring" contest.

Some would make the same argument comparing a Bayliner to a DCB[emoji90][emoji4]

Edit:
Typo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
Some would make the same argument comparing a Baylomer to a DCB[emoji90][emoji4]

So I've been rebuilding my Onkyo system I bought new when I was 19 in 1985. I've been piecing it together nicely, finding awesome used equipment.

I scored a Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable, new in an unopened box for $350. It retails for $700-$800 new.

I went on a stereophile board, introduced myself and asked for input on the best cartridge/stylus.

Crickets. I got two responses and those were guys feeling sorry for me, lol.

I think my mistake was posting up my low-level system components (fungus level compared to $18K cables and $30K speakers)

So yes...I immediately thought I asked about a Bayliner on OffshoreOnly.

Serious snobbery.

Fuck those guys, lol :p

Taboma

Reaction score
Some would make the same argument comparing a Baylomer to a DCB[emoji90][emoji4]

I agree, but even if that's uttered in the context of Fun and being Practical, your accusations, no matter how rational, are dismissed as simply being jealous. 🥴

Taboma

Reaction score
Is Bose still a thing?

Certainly in the OEM automotive sector, I really enjoy my over the ear noise cancelling headphones, and I've been very pleased with my soundbar.
Funny, in the early 70's I was selling Bose 401 and 901 speakers, and still to this day Bose remains dancing to the beat of a different drummer.
One thing I have found, the Bose components I've purchased are all still working, so acoustics aside, I appreciate the quality.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Replacing my Yamaha 10 year old amp and the Bose speakers. Tearing out the flooring and the massive amount of wiring that was needed for the old system. I went wireless with the Samsung soundbar, subwoofer and rear speakers. Much cleaner install and a very quick hookup and paring. Soundbar and sub are HW-Q700A/ZA and the rears are
9500S Rear Speaker Kit - Wireless Dolby Atmos/DTS: X (SWA-9500S, 2021 Model)

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bose bookshelf speakers in my office that are over 20 years old. I worked at pac sun in high school and they were hanging from chains 12 feet off the floor. When they closed our store manager said if I could get em down I could have em. Had to stack a couple of racks to do it lol. They still sound great and the cones are still in great shape.

pronstar

Reaction score
Similar to Apple, Bose sells and markets lifestyle products to non-audiophiles (witch is probably 90%+ of the population).

They have a warm, pleasing sound, but not necessarily accurate sound.

One can say the exact same about Martin Logan, which is a company that’s actually revered by audiophiles.

They’re big in OEM automotive, as mentioned.

They’re one of our largest competitors…our North American CBU recently wrestled the Cadillac business from them, no small feat because Caddy/Bose was the oldest such partnership up to that point. But Caddy wanted an exclusive audio brand for their $100k flagship Escalade, not mass market.

What they got is simply insane. 36 speakers, 3 amps with 28 discrete channels…it rivals the finest home setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
This x 2

I have had numerous surround systems in multiple houses. The Sonos awesome, it sounds fantastic and is super compact compared to traditional component systems

Taboma

Reaction score
Similar to Apple, Bose sells and markets lifestyle products to non-audiophiles (with is probably 90%+ of the population).

They have a warm, pleasing sound, but not necessarily accurate sound.

One can say the exact same about Martin Logan, which is a company that’s actually revered by audiophiles.

They’re big in OEM automotive, as mentioned.

They’re one of our largest competitors…our North American CBU recently wrestled the Cadillac business from them, no small feat because Caddy/Bose was the oldest such partnership up to that point. But Caddy wanted an exclusive audio brand for their $100k flagship Escalade, not mass market.

What they got is simply insane. 36 speakers, 3 amps with 28 discrete channels…it rivals the finest home setups.

Exclusive Audio Brand -- AKG Noted --- Brought to you from that little company on the prairie --- Samsung 🥴

pronstar

Reaction score
Exclusive Audio Brand -- AKG Noted --- Brought to you from that little company on the prairie --- Samsung [emoji3061]

Have you seen another privately owned AKG studio system?
The answer is no, seems exclusive to me [emoji106]

Samsung bought us a few years ago.
So Mark Levinson, Arcam and Revel are also under the Samsung umbrella.

Just like a Ferrari is just a Fiat.
Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti are just VW’s.
And Aston Martin is just some carmaker owned by a Kuwaiti hedge fund [emoji854]

Taboma

Reaction score
Have you seen another privately owned AKG studio system?
The answer is no, seems exclusive to me [emoji106]

Samsung bought us a few years ago.
So Mark Levinson, Arcam and Revel are also under the Samsung umbrella.

Just like a Ferrari is just a Fiat.
Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti are just VW’s.
And Aston Martin is just some carmaker owned by a Kuwaiti hedge fund [emoji854]

Never heard of AKG, but then I'm no audiophile, as mentioned, I'm more of a "Closed Caption" guy these days. 😁
Only half deaf in one ear and can't hear shit outta the other one. 😂

My initial thought was "HARMON", as they seem to have with one brand or another ruled the OEM automotive market. Including of course B&O systems Ford's shilling these days.
What I hadn't kept up on, was Samsung purchasing Harmon, although I admit to rarely bothering to check anymore.
So AKG could engineer and build amazing audio systems, the very best nobody has ever heard of, and I wouldn't have a clue.

What I find rather comical, regardless of who's system, it's all those big power amps, all those speakers and they're all designed to blue tooth stream highly compressed, re-compressed, compressed music streaming from smart phones. The vast majority don't even have CD players any more.
So yes, the fact they can make any of that source crap sound good, is amazing. 👍
OH ! And do it over the cacophony of wonderful sound effects brought to you by low profile tires on potholed roads.

I'm actually going to stop by a Caddy place just so I can listen to this system I've never heard about --- Cool 👍👍👍

pronstar

Reaction score
What I find rather comical, regardless of who's system, it's all those big power amps, all those speakers and they're all designed to blue tooth stream highly compressed, re-compressed, compressed music streaming from smart phones. The vast majority don't even have CD players any more.
So yes, the fact they can make any of that source crap sound good, is amazing. [emoji106]
OH ! And do it over the cacophony of wonderful sound effects brought to you by low profile tires on potholed roads.

Bluetooth tech has also progressed…it’s very close to lossless quality. And we build-in tech thats makes up for lost bits. Double-blind testing reveals few people can tell the difference [emoji106]

Taboma

Reaction score
Bluetooth tech has also progressed…it’s very close to lossless quality. And we build-in tech thats makes up for lost bits. Double-blind testing reveals few people can tell the difference [emoji106]

Great info, I've always been hesitant to use BT for that reason. This BT tech still depends on quality in to get quality out I'm guessing. Isn't the major wink link still the DA to AD process to transfer digital media to your storage device ?

pronstar

Reaction score
Great info, I've always been hesitant to use BT for that reason. This BT tech still depends on quality in to get quality out I'm guessing. Isn't the major wink link still the DA to AD process to transfer digital media to your storage device ?

It depends.

I’ve got an Arcam SA30 integrated streaming amp incoming that has the same DAC as our Mark Levinson products.

So I’ll be able to stream lossless data, and listen to it uncompressed.

But generally it’s handled in your phone or whatnot.

Also depends on the source. Some streaming sources like Tidal are uncompressed.

Good info here in lossless streaming:

But I’ll also be listening to vinyl…again, it has a warm, familiar sound but isn’t truly accurate.

Most of the audiophile products we sell attempt to be acoustically transparent, with the goal of playing music exactly as the artist intended [emoji106]

C-2

Reaction score
so what cartridge did they recommend?

No solid answer, as you probably know, it's kind of asking what the best prop is.

I'm putting a system together to beat mix/blend on, so the cartridge and stylus need to withstand some back cueing of records. Shure stopped producing their infamous M-44-7 cartridge, but I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going with. It's a solid cartridge and can withstand mild abuse. Ideally I would also like a Ortofon Bronze, or black just for listening to vinyl, they are pretty solid too. The PLX-1000 is a great turntable, you can DJ on it, but it's also on the radar/cusp of audiophile standards.

If you wanna have some fun, go to an audiophile or vinyl board and start talking about how great wireless, streaming, or even CD's sound, lol woot woot

And ChiliPalmer - there are quite a few decently (small) sized acoustic treatments/wall panels you can buy if your system ends up sounding like you're in a cave.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
The new Yamahas support wireless rears and the front wired. If you go with the larger 7.2 system you can get multi zone and surround sound. Add on extra rooms and or patio with wireless speakers.

Or keep your current setup and just get 2 wireless amps. The rockfish working damn good. They'll work with any reciever and speakers.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
So I've been rebuilding my Onkyo system I bought new when I was 19 in 1985. I've been piecing it together nicely, finding awesome used equipment.

I scored a Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable, new in an unopened box for $350. It retails for $700-$800 new.

I went on a stereophile board, introduced myself and asked for input on the best cartridge/stylus.

Crickets. I got two responses and those were guys feeling sorry for me, lol.

I think my mistake was posting up my low-level system components (fungus level compared to $18K cables and $30K speakers)

So yes...I immediately thought I asked about a Bayliner on OffshoreOnly.

Serious snobbery.

Fuck those guys, lol :p

Forum truths: Other than gun forum know-it-alls, there’s nothing like forum cable discussions