WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Suspension Air bags?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Looking at getting a set of helper bags for my super duty.

Are Firestone bags the one to get? Can I adapt a viair air system to control the bags?
want to level the truck a bit before our trip to Texas in the trailer.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Firestone is a popular brand. But I used Air Lift on my 2500. Great customer service and a clean install. I got an onboard compressor with wireless control so no need to bring any wiring into the cab.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've run both at one point or another. Look into who's kit/options work best for you. Some have better setups for air chucks and such, which are helpful for airing up flat spares, or after duning or crawling. My own stuff was KISS philosophy. All I wanted was to compensate for heavy trailers...and my heavy trailers had big compressors. I've run schraders in the bumper, to auto-leveling in my 550...no matter what you choose, you'll be happy you did it.

Cdog

Reaction score
Firestone is a popular brand. But I used Air Lift on my 2500. Great customer service and a clean install. I got an onboard compressor with wireless control so no need to bring any wiring into the cab.

Does the wireless controller show tank pressure & bag pressure? I’m in process of planning my 21 f350 bag set up and want to utilize the wireless system but plan on running a 3 gallon tank/bags/horns/air tools

Done-it-again

Reaction score

did you install it yourself?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Does the wireless controller show tank pressure & bag pressure? I’m in process of planning my 21 f350 bag set up and want to utilize the wireless system but plan on running a 3 gallon tank/bags/horns/air tools

Kind want to do the same. That’s why I thought of viair.

240Hallett

Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with the Air Lift set up on a few 1500s with the on board compressor. It keeps a minimum pressure(5-10 lbs I think) in the bags so they don’t get damaged when you don’t really need them. I have stock suspension other than 2 inch lowering shackles to level it out.

59C2AE69-69C7-4E5B-9061-365CB21EA6CB.jpeg

It takes 40 to 50 pounds pulling this.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I’ve run Firestone’s on two trucks , no issues
Just think about if you do some hard wheeling off road about making the bolt on shackles more secure.
Buddy broke bolts going too fast up Olds, lol.

Cdog

Reaction score
Kind want to do the same. That’s why I thought of viair.

So I think you’ll have to piece together a system. 3 gallon tank from Amazon, viar pumps, Firestone bags, Firestone makes a HD wireless controller that I believe will report tank pressure & bag pressure. Next I need to see if the controller tank psi reads up to 200psi.
I ran 200psi on my duramax set up.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Daystar makes a lower cradle seen in this video

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So I think you’ll have to piece together a system. 3 gallon tank from Amazon, viar pumps, Firestone bags, Firestone makes a HD wireless controller that I believe will report tank pressure & bag pressure. Next I need to see if the tank psi reads up to 200psi.
I ran 200psi on my duramax set up.
Thx. I don’t need to run air tools so I think I can go smaller. But if I’m putting bags on I just don’t want to be stuck running bag compressor only and want the option to have external air. Just most bag systems run from compressor to bags and not a tank a first.

Cdog

Reaction score
Thx. I don’t need to run air tools so I think I can go smaller. But if I’m putting bags on I just don’t want to be stuck running bag compressor only and want the option to have external air. Just most bag systems run from compressor to bags and not a tank a first.

If u tow it’s very helpful to have the tank for tires on the trailer. G rated tire pump up quicker with 200 psi. Tested mine at the rest stop on top of the Indio grade after a blow out on my genesis Toyhauler.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
have you considered just adding a leaf spring?

or maybe tried a new prop?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Ha ! One of the best options I’ve ever had on a truck , is the factory air suspension on my Ram 1500 . I can control it up or down and it auto- levels with a load on back .

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I have bags on my 17 Ford and even loads that I don't need to air them up have 10 pounds in there is a significant improvement in the ride.

I might agree, however he didn't mention anything about wanting to improve the ride. I only caught the need to level the truck.

a new prop would do both!

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I don’t have a tank on mine. It’s an on-demand air compressor that will maintain the pressure you have set. When the truck is in motion (beginning of the day drive for example) it will wake the system up and increase or decrease the pressure from the last setting. This usually happens within a block or two from the house.

That would be my only gripe about the system I have is that there’s no gauge that shows real time pressure. It would be easy enough to hook one up to the air line and install that in the cab, but I wanted to avoid any cab penetrations.

They have an app and a wireless remote to control the system. The remote only shows the pressure set points...very basic. The app will show the current pressure when it’s increasing or decreasing, but generally speaking it does not show current pressures. It’s only when you make a pressure change that you can see what the current pressure in the bag is.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
did you install it yourself?
Yes I did the install myself. All it takes is very basic tools and the setup I have is a no drill system. They have a few different kit options too for compressors, gauges etc.

I have the wireless compressor bolted to the frame, air bags and a wire harness they provide that hooks right up to the battery. No cab penetration. Pretty clean and simple in my opinion.

It comes with a wireless remote and an app option as well if to control it. You could easily install a gauge in the truck to see real time bag pressure. That’s the only thing lacking in the system I have, But it’s set up to maintain whatever pressure setpoint you want. When the truck starts moving it will wake the system up and increase or decrease pressure to the last setpoint.

I just installed another Airlift system on my son’s Colorado. Pretty cool little set up for the cost.

Icky

Reaction score
Yes I did the install myself. All it takes is very basic tools and the setup I have is a no drill system. They have a few different kit options too for compressors, gauges etc.

I have the wireless compressor bolted to the frame, air bags and a wire harness they provide that hooks right up to the battery. No cab penetration. Pretty clean and simple in my opinion.

It comes with a wireless remote and an app option as well if to control it. You could easily install a gauge in the truck to see real time bag pressure. That’s the only thing lacking in the system I have, But it’s set up to maintain whatever pressure setpoint you want. When the truck starts moving it will wake the system up and increase or decrease pressure to the last setpoint.

I just installed another Airlift system on my son’s Colorado. Pretty cool little set up for the cost.
Does it have a pressure switch? I was looking at it, but want run a 3-5 gallon tank for filling tires and wasn't sure it would work that way.

575cat

Reaction score
keep it simple basic air bags 20.00 walmart cigarette lighter comp in the rear under floor storage ( Ram ) shrader valve T plumbed from bags to that cavity done , keep 5 lbs empty then adj to suit .

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’ve run Firestone’s on two trucks , no issues
Just think about if you do some hard wheeling off road about making the bolt on shackles more secure.
Buddy broke bolts going too fast up Olds, lol.

I’m going to be adding the day star cradle to my Ram. The bags severely limits articulation.

What bl said here...

If you have plans to off road your truck, DO NOT put air bags on it!

I have bags on my 17 Ford and even loads that I don't need to air them up have 10 pounds in there is a significant improvement in the ride.

If this is true, something is wrong with your shocks.

JD D05

Reaction score
What bl said here...

If you have plans to off road your truck, DO NOT put air bags on it!

If this is true, something is wrong with your shocks.

My King 2.5 res that were valved to the truck are just fine.

Apex svt

Reaction score
I like air lift for their customer service. I warranted a pair of 13 year old bags, and I wasn’t even the original owner of the kit/truck. Lifetime warranty.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My King 2.5 res that were valved to the truck are just fine.

One should always run at least 10psi at all times. One should notice zero difference in ride with only 10psi.

I sure can't tell Any difference in mine, but I'm only running cheap azz Bilstein shocks. They are less than a year old though...

If 10psi makes a Significant difference, your definitely have a problem that should be investigated. Could be something other than the shocks? Definitely worth look.

JD D05

Reaction score
One should always run at least 10psi at all times. One should notice zero difference in ride with only 10psi.

I sure can't tell Any difference in mine, but I'm only running cheap azz Bilstein shocks. They are less than a year old though...

If 10psi makes a Significant difference, your definitely have a problem that should be investigated. Could be something other than the shocks? Definitely worth look.

I know everything is good. I also run the bags empty when not towing always have. The significant difference I notice is towing my snowmobile trailer when the rear end hits a bad pot hole or bridge transition it takes the hard jolt out. With my boat which weighs a lot more it isn't as noticeable.

JD D05

Reaction score
God I'm an idiot. I just realized after 4 yrs I have Airlift.

20201129_155147.jpg

20201129_155201.jpg

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have the Firestone kit. I used the wrong language on the ride improvement earlier they don't do anything for my ride besides the hard jolt type hits with my trailers.

I guess I was wrong about the 10psi. The correct number is actually 5psi.

When I worked at Custom Truck, I told Louie my truck rode better with air in the air bags, than it did when I ran em empty (10psi).

He laughed and said "that's cause your shocks are shot!"

He was right. When I added the new Bilstine's, the truck now rides like it should. I only add air when the load requires it. Truck rides best with the bags at minimum pressure.

Just passing along what I've learned!

JD D05

Reaction score

I guess I was wrong about the 10psi. The correct number is actually 5psi.

When I worked at Custom Truck, I told Louie my truck rode better with air in the air bags, than it did when I ran em empty (10psi).

He laughed and said "that's cause your shocks are shot!"

He was right. When I added the new Bilstine's, the truck now rides like it should. I only add air when the load requires it. Truck rides best with the bags at minimum pressure.

Just passing along what I've learned!

Maybe our opinions of what is a better ride is different lol. For me unloaded no air is the best I have done that on 5 different trucks. I do have and have always had traction bars and I have heard that can have an effect on the ride. But I have never noticed.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Maybe our opinions of what is a better ride is different lol. For me unloaded no air is the best I have done that on 5 different trucks. I do have and have always had traction bars and I have heard that can have an effect on the ride. But I have never noticed.

I have trac bars on mine too, but Ive never driven the truck without em.

It's definitely difficult to define a Good ride on a one ton truck! LoL

I'll just say mine is Less jaring with the bags empty?

People just need to mainly remember, as others have said, you loose a whole lot of wheel travel when you install air bags for towing.

JD D05

Reaction score
I have trac bars on mine too, but Ive never driven the truck without em.

It's definitely difficult to define a Good ride on a one ton truck! LoL

I'll just say mine is Less jaring with the bags empty?

People just need to mainly remember, as others have said, you loose a whole lot of wheel travel when you install air bags for towing.

Not sure what truck you have but we have different setups to start. My truck will ride worse with no trailer and any air in the bags. That bumper pull sharp hard hit they help but that doesn't happen much.

Question though what type of usage needs that wheel travel? Mine see dirt when I use the other launch ramp lol.

spectras only

Reaction score
I've been running Pacbrake on my 2014 Lariat for 5 yrs. No issues. I don't have the onboard air but only using the bags occasionally when towing. Only need to maintain 10 psi in the bags when not towing

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Not sure what truck you have but we have different setups to start. My truck will ride worse with no trailer and any air in the bags. That bumper pull sharp hard hit they help but that doesn't happen much.

Question though what type of usage needs that wheel travel? Mine see dirt when I use the other launch ramp lol.

Well after looking at the pics you posted...

I'm calling BS on all of your posts. No way that truck has Even been driven. On or off the road!!!

😂 😁

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Does it have a pressure switch? I was looking at it, but want run a 3-5 gallon tank for filling tires and wasn't sure it would work that way.
No pressure switch that I’m aware of. Maybe there’s something internally, but there is nothing that I had to add.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

They can be setup that way.

I had a 4 channel wireless setup. One channel each for left and right rear bags, plus a tank. The wireless manifolds made it all super easy to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a shop in the IE or anywhere in socal that would do a good job?

edit....Found shop have appt next Thursday. Damn places are busy!!!!!

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Now I'm looking at air bags for my F350

I don't need train horns (I'd be in jail if I had one) or air tools so I can forgo the tank. The compressor and wireless controller sounds cool. Any more info on the best bag setup? This is new to me