WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Suzuki Sidekick suspension upgrade?

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting a small lift maybe 3 inches or so and I've got a lot of options. I've basically got my two options narrowed down.

1) Low cost spacer lift for the springs for about $130 and I do the install

2) High cost ( not really because everything is cheap on this thing ) full suspension setup for $1000+ labor on a professional install

I want a vehicle I can use as a backup so I'm keeping it street legal but I want it built for the desert. I've used it to tow my 21ft boat down to Elsinore and cart around a little utility trailer as well.

Am I throwing money away trying to make it some what of a runner that will keep me from getting left behind? Or can they actually be built to be able to handle terrain at a decent speed?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Even built-up, these are more rock-crawlers than desert runners.

I’m sure you can up the speed a bit (compared to stock) with a crawler suspension, but I’d keep my expectations in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tankman

Reaction score
The best ride improvement (in the dirt) you can do to that thing is drop the tire pressure to 10-15 lbs. Maybe even a good set of shocks. I like Bilstien 5100's. Most of the available lift kits are for appearance and will most likely stiffen the ride. Just my .02

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Even built-up, these are more rock-crawlers than desert runners.

I’m sure you can up the speed a bit (compared to stock) with a crawler suspension, but I’d keep my expectations in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am put in check every time I switch into 4x4 lol

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
The best ride improvement (in the dirt) you can do to that thing is drop the tire pressure to 10-15 lbs. Maybe even a good set of shocks. I like Bilstien 5100's. Most of the available lift kits are for appearance and will most likely stiffen the ride. Just my .02
I'll try the tire pressure adjustment next time I take it out. I have trails I can access behind the house and have been teaching my 14yr old how to drive a stick. He wants to go everyday of course.

I've got new shocks but just some OEM replacements. It needed something quick. Slapped in an intake system and a stage 3 clutch and flywheel. Considering a small turbo but only if the suspension can handle me pushing it.

EBT531

Reaction score
Stay away from spacer lifts. Just more pressure on things and causes issues in the long run (at least on tundras it does) A proper suspension system is always going to perform/ride better

evantwheeler

Reaction score
You are better off getting rid of it and finding a Tyota mini-truck or 4 runner with pre-runner suspension. Or buying a stock one and building yourself - camburg makes a kit to long travel the front. Maybe an old Ford Ranger could be picked up cheap and do some suspension upgrades. I don't think you are going "fast" in the desert for under $10-12k nomatter which direction you go. If you're in AZ, best bet is to buy a SxS. If in CA, sorry.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
petroworks or trail tough.com not ever going to be side by side contender. ex head of production at calmini started bonin my exwife. been through all that. I know em all. mike 599-696-9247

J-Bonz

Reaction score
There’s also Rockyroadoutfitters.com
Went with their lift kit on my Sammy