WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Swag Off Road Portaband saw table - Anyone have one?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I bought a Harbor Freight portable Bauer band saw this weekend on sale for $99.

Does anyone have the Swag Off Road table for one of these? It looks pretty cool, and I was wondering if there are any issues to be aware of with them? Seems like a good compact solution for light duty fab work.

I’m looking at the full table, not the one you put in a vise.

C658B358-7831-4C96-A9A3-9AB3E59C1CF1.jpeg
9977F1C7-D97C-4B4C-B7D0-F97B686E9EEA.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't have one, but have used a friend's. The tabletop deal ends up getting clamped in place anyway, or else you chase it around. I've only used it for cutting small boxing or gusset plates, 3/16 and 1/4 stuff. I kind of laughed at first, but seems to do most stuff fine. The depth is a limiting factor, but not for most applications.

DLC

Reaction score
I have 3 porta bands
electric
m18
m12

no stand, if I need to cut something I hold the saw and clamp material in vise to cut. The depth is usually the limiting factor

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have 3 porta bands
electric
m18
m12

no stand, if I need to cut something I hold the saw and clamp material in vise to cut. The depth is usually the limiting factor

That seems like a lot of work. I am usually holding a beer with one hand while using powered saws anyway, so I was hoping I could use this instead of having my kid hold my beer.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
I almost bought one today too. Been wanting.... holding out for a deal on the Milwaukee M18 deep saw first.

I’ve been cheep AF waiting to buy my f350. Penny pinching...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don't have one, but have used a friend's. The tabletop deal ends up getting clamped in place anyway, or else you chase it around. I've only used it for cutting small boxing or gusset plates, 3/16 and 1/4 stuff. I kind of laughed at first, but seems to do most stuff fine. The depth is a limiting factor, but not for most applications.

That is what I would use it for. Small fab work, Thinner material, etc.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I have the Swag stand for my Milwaukee band saw. I love it and use the shit out of it. It has its limitations on what it’ll fit but other than that, it’s rad.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Any tips on keeping a blade in a portaband for more than 3 seconds? I’ve got a Makita portaband, brand new blade, and if I look at the fucker wrong it pops off. Have wanted one of these mounts, but could never justify it based on how much I hate using the portaband. The only thing I like about it is it makes less mess and dust versus a zip/cut off wheel on a grinder.

Icky

Reaction score
Any tips on keeping a blade in a portaband for more than 3 seconds? I’ve got a Makita portaband, brand new blade, and if I look at the fucker wrong it pops off. Have wanted one of these mounts, but could never justify it based on how much I hate using the portaband. The only thing I like about it is it makes less mess and dust versus a zip/cut off wheel on a grinder.
Whens the last time you replaced the tires on it? Are the guide wheels/bearings tight on the blade? On one of the older Milwaukees I used for work it was so worn out that I left the quick release for the blade in the middle as the blade was tighter in that position.

Usually when you start cutting tight curves it warps the blade. A brand new one in your hand will pinch together and stay a flat oval shape, a warpt blade will twist like a figure 8 and pop off frequently

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Nice set up
Putting on list to get for our Response truck, would make fabbing some of our counter charge tools even quicker
Thanks for sharing.
Not being in the business of counter charges...how thick of plate do you fab up? Would a self contained plasma cutter be faster? The drawbacks there would be cleanup for fitting bevels or weld fitment...dunno how much engineering and fab is needed, as opposed to "down and dirty" giterdone.

Icky

Reaction score
Not being in the business of counter charges...how thick of plate do you fab up? Would a self contained plasma cutter be faster? The drawbacks there would be cleanup for fitting bevels or weld fitment...dunno how much engineering and fab is needed, as opposed to "down and dirty" giterdone.
I was curious about the same thing, how much fab is involved, could some of it be prefabricated or laser cut pieces

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Very down and dirty
Wood/ PVC mostly
Basically building platforms to deliver High Explosives to Vehicle borne IED’s and large suspicious packages witn platforms that we have to make on site due to size not being able to be carried in response truck

We seldom use metal as it contributes to frag in the detonation.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
You guys realize they make a band saw right? The table for my bandsaw holds dust and my beers perfectly well.
Wow, really? I was today years old when I learned of this! 😂

joking aside, when all I had was a 2 car garage, space was everything (money too). Now I have a 2000sqft shop and will most likely get one if I find one for the right price. A combo horizontal and vertical would be ideal. Also, my cousin is an account manager for Milwaukee Tool, so I get some good deals on tools, which made this really affordable.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I was curious about the same thing, how much fab is involved, could some of it be prefabricated or laser cut pieces
It’s the size of the platform to deliver the charge. It just doesn’t fit in our response truck
I can’t show pics but these are common to most Squads and we all pretty much do the same thing.
These platforms are made on maybe 10% of our calls , and we usually have three guys on scene so it takes a matter of minutes to construct.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Very down and dirty
Wood/ PVC mostly
Basically building platforms to deliver High Explosives to Vehicle borne IED’s and large suspicious packages witn platforms that we have to make on site due to size not being able to be carried in response truck

We seldom use metal as it contributes to frag in the detonation.
It’s the size of the platform to deliver the charge. It just doesn’t fit in our response truck
I can’t show pics but these are common to most Squads and we all pretty much do the same thing.
These platforms are made on maybe 10% of our calls , and we usually have three guys on scene so it takes a matter of minutes to construct.
OK, I was thinking more along the lines of a directed charge more than placing the charge at a specific hieght or angle. You need custom "tinker-toy" lengths to assemble with fittings and such...no worrys about the pvc glue or leaks. Up to 1 1/2 I've had good luck with the cutters, but being geared up could be a bitch. For speed, a wood blade in a cordless sawzall is fast, but may not be up to safety rules...holding material in one hand, saw in other. You guys probably have rules and guidelines most never even think about.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
OK, I was thinking more along the lines of a directed charge more than placing the charge at a specific hieght or angle. You need custom "tinker-toy" lengths to assemble with fittings and such...no worrys about the pvc glue or leaks. Up to 1 1/2 I've had good luck with the cutters, but being geared up could be a bitch. For speed, a wood blade in a cordless sawzall is fast, but may not be up to safety rules...holding material in one hand, saw in other. You guys probably have rules and guidelines most never even think about.

His only rule is to defuse the situation.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
We burned up sawzall’s going after stuff they were never intended for . Lol.
But for making the stuff for counter charging, mostly 2-3” wood and 1-2” PVC.
every bit of speed to make it counts for sure.

We get calls where the suspicious item is in some sort of container that is a bitch to get into.
If the area is evacuated , and we can X-ray it, and find nothing “Category 1” meaning time sensitive , then it gets fun trying to get to the item.

LAFD is usually called out and they have some cool expensive toys I borrow.
The standard mail box on a sidewalk is a bitch to make side entry to.
We never enter any container the way it was designed to be. Those boxes are no fun entering with non power tools, but it can be done .

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i have this porta band table and the hyrdraulic bender add on dealy for the JD2 bender, would buy both again.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
BauerBandsaw1.jpeg
BauerBandsaw2.jpeg
BauerBandsaw3.jpeg

I made my own. I did disassemble the entire saw, and put the die casting in the mill and machined it flat and drilled & tapped it for 2 flathead socket capscrews.

I also machined the butt for a base, which I put u-bolts and attach it to my hoist in the garage, to save valuable bench space. I cut the 2" stainless steel mandrel bend to make my fuel tank filler tubes after moving the tanks down and back.

So far, so good. I really would have preferred a Milwaukee portable, but for the few times I use it, this suffices.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
View attachment 947655 View attachment 947656 View attachment 947657

I made my own. I did disassemble the entire saw, and put the die casting in the mill and machined it flat and drilled & tapped it for 2 flathead socket capscrews.

I also machined the butt for a base, which I put u-bolts and attach it to my hoist in the garage, to save valuable bench space. I cut the 2" stainless steel mandrel bend to make my fuel tank filler tubes after moving the tanks down and back.

So far, so good. I really would have preferred a Milwaukee portable, but for the few times I use it, this suffices.

Nice work!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
View attachment 947655 View attachment 947656 View attachment 947657

I forgot to mention, I stocked up with Milwaukee blades to give it a fighting chance. The adjustable speed is nice. I do trigger lock with a ziptie set at just the right tension so I can knock it off if it gets jammed... :)

merc_400r

Reaction score
I have one and love it. Its mounted to my work bench and is my first go to if I need to cut something that will fit in the 5" throat. If it doesn't then I gotta usually clear off another machine to make the cut.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
My wife bought me one last year for christmas.

Might be my favorite garage tool. Works awesome for most things.

Coupled it with the bauer saw and a foot pedal.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
My wife bought me one last year for christmas.

Might be my favorite garage tool. Works awesome for most things.

Coupled it with the bauer saw and a foot pedal.
i forgot to mention the foot pedal. that thing is key.

Dana757

Reaction score
Everything Swag makes is pretty nice. I want a set of their dimple dies that fit EMT knock outs.

FlatNv

Reaction score
Yep. Swag has some good stuff. Band saw table and there adapter for making jd tube bender hydraulic 👍
IMG_20180420_152415666.jpg

Nordie

Reaction score
Wow, really? I was today years old when I learned of this! 😂

joking aside, when all I had was a 2 car garage, space was everything (money too). Now I have a 2000sqft shop and will most likely get one if I find one for the right price. A combo horizontal and vertical would be ideal. Also, my cousin is an account manager for Milwaukee Tool, so I get some good deals on tools, which made this really affordable.

I have like the $130 porter cable bandsaw, it really doesn't take up a lot of room. I actually put it on a harbor freight chinesium cart, so I just roll it out of the way in my garage if I'm doing stuff.

I've been wanting to get a cordless makita portaband, but I'm a cheapass and haven't really needed one anyhow.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Everything Swag makes is pretty nice. I want a set of their dimple dies that fit EMT knock outs.
Those are really nice. The whole set is a bit pricey, but the few use are super handy. The other thing I've found is using pattern makers for coping/notching tubing...like Centurialinc or the like. They have pins around the circumference of the tube, and make doing a rollcage union of 3 tubes at different angles easier. There are people out there that can do it...I am not one of them.

Ol Man

Reaction score
I have the original Swag table for my Milwaukee. I mounted it to my welding table and use it a lot to cut anything......metal, wood, plastic.....

I seldom used the Milwaukee portaband until I mounted it to the Swag table.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I got my table in the mail today. Great quality piece, I am excited to put it together and try it out.