WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Swapping a 87 mustang 5.0 into a 74 Bronco

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
What better place is there than a boating site to ask this question:D

So here I am facing a possible enging swap. The price is right... engine/trans for engine/trans... but of course I'm always real cautious when it sounds too good to be true. Anybody have any insight into an 87 mustang EFI 5.0L engine swap? Story sounds plausible, I'm just a little leary as I can see this turning into a big freaking can o worms. lol

I don't care about smog, going into a 74 and I don't need to to smog it in cali.

Just curious about what all I'll need. I'm assuming the engine mount location didn't change on those blocks. And the AOD with the newer 5.0L should almost slide into place of the standard C-4 that's in it now. I'm reading it might be a little longer which isn't too big a deal.

Any insight? Are those 87 Mustang 5.0L's any good?

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Oil pan will need to be changed out. Not a huge project, but you will need to alter the drive shaft length, plumb in an electric fuel pump, and run return lines to the tank for the FI, along with wiring up the new harness into the Bronco.

Here is a good place to read about what people have done. Lots of info out there, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of where you are heading after a few nights of reading.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251829

Try to get the complete donor vehicle if you can vs buying junkyard stuff. Lots of little pieces that add up.

Reactions: t&y

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Oil pan will need to be changed out. Not a huge project, but you will need to alter the drive shaft length, plumb in an electric fuel pump, and run return lines to the tank for the FI, along with wiring up the new harness into the Bronco.

Here is a good place to read about what people have done. Lots of info out there, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of where you are heading after a few nights of reading.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251829

Try to get the complete donor vehicle if you can vs buying junkyard stuff. Lots of little pieces that add up.

87 may still be carbureted.....

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
You didn't say much about what was in the bronco, but I assume by the gist of your post, it has or had a 302/C4, yes?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
87 may still be carbureted.....

Nope. Sequential EFI started in 86. The 302 roller cam engine would be an ideal swap. But, I'd ditch the factory EFI and go with something else. Tons of options here.

The AOD will fit if you lift the body a bit, or cut the floor pan out. I have a customer that is running one in his 74.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Nope. Sequential EFI started in 86. The 302 roller cam engine would be an ideal swap. But, I'd ditch the factory EFI and go with something else. Tons of options here.

The AOD will fit if you lift the body a bit, or cut the floor pan out. I have a customer that is running one in his 74.

OK I knew it was close. A buddys mustang must have been an 85 then. Damn it sucks being old.

Yea I agree with RM, if you are looking for simple, put a carb manifold on that ol girl. :)

How about surgical clearance?

Brian

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
You didn't say much about what was in the bronco, but I assume by the gist of your post, it has or had a 302/C4, yes?
74 Bronco with stock 302, 2 barrel carb mated to a C-4 Auto trade for a 87 mustang 5.0l EFI with AOD trans. Guy is basically trying to cut his losses and sell his bronco project. Friend of a friend led me to the deal so who knows...

I swapped in the C4 from the original stock manual 3 speed so I'm not gun shy at doing the work. I've just not read up on the mustang engines enough to know if it's as good a deal as it sounds, or if I'll be into it for a few more thousand that I didn't anticipate spending on an engine swap at the moment. lol.

Fuel tank is already on the list of replacements and I've been holding off while deciding to go with the intank fuel pump or external. If I go with the swap that decision is easy.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Tight but do able...

20150928_130811.jpg
20151007_193617.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Was this the red one you had in the shop RM?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Lol.. speak of the devil. You were on the short list of PM's if I went with the deal... but since you are hear. Allegedly the engine is good. Assuming it is, I'd still like it opened and freshened up. Any idea what kind of money I'm looking at for a simple job with no major part replacements on that engine?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Lol.. speak of the devil. You were on the short list of PM's if I went with the deal... but since you are hear. Allegedly the engine is good. Assuming it is, I'd still like it opened and freshened up. Any idea what kind of money I'm looking at for a simple job with no major part replacements on that engine?

This is a tough one. Nothing is ever simple!

The engine I just posted started out as a stock 302, but ended up being a 331 with aluminum heads. Damm thing runs bad azz. The customer has become a good friend. I can get you a test drive if you want.

Roller cams and lifters can get expensive, if any parts are worn/bad there, and you probably won't want to keep the stock cam. I would budget around 3k. You'll be safe for a mild build if you set that aside. On a 30 year old engine, you'd be safe to plan for the worst. If it turns out to be less, then you are golden, and can consider a 331. ;)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am building one right now that has the (late model) serpentine belt system in it. It has a bit more room up front. You can come take a look if you want. It's going to get FAST EFI as well.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I am building one right now that has the (late model) serpentine belt system in it. It has a bit more room up front. You can come take a look if you want. It's going to get FAST EFI as well.
I might do that. Not too sure I want to get into pulling everything I have at the moment to start a swap. I'm actually liking the idea of changing the intake and going with a TBI over the whole can of worms with driving hours to pick up something I know nothing about. Wife is about to try and sell my shit as it is... I think she read the thread with Hammers wife trying to get rid of his boat:D

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
If you keep the factory EFI a good (but expensive) recommendation is go with the Painless Wiring Harness.
I installed my 92 302 in my 77 Bronco in 1997 and recently overhauled it using a Ford long block. Now my
engine has a 2 year warranty with Ford.

With fuel injection you must have an in-tank pump. I installed the (forget who makes it) 30 gallon metal tank
that came with skid plate and drain plug. And cut an access plate in the rear floor for fuel pump service without
dropping the tank.

Truck has always run awesome. C4 with kit and special low gears. Atlas transfer case. 4:56 gears with Detroit
Lockers front and rear. 31 spline rear axles. Wild Horses lift. Since it is irrelevant I won't talk about the 89 Jeep
YJ I built for my wife back then with a (then brand new) 96 Ford truck 5.8 EFI engine, NV4500 tranny, Atlas transfer
case, 5:38 Detroit Locker Dana 44's front and rear.

I've forgotten all the stuff I've done on these trucks.

But the EFI 302 has been great. Combination of shit gas and neglect did it in. Use all new stuff in your fuel system.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I might do that. Not too sure I want to get into pulling everything I have at the moment to start a swap. I'm actually liking the idea of changing the intake and going with a TBI over the whole can of worms with driving hours to pick up something I know nothing about. Wife is about to try and sell my shit as it is... I think she read the thread with Hammers wife trying to get rid of his boat:D

The main advantages of going with a roller cam 302 is that...

Roller cam...lots of nice grinds
One piece rear main...lot less leaks
You can turn it into a 331...So much more power with a stroker
Better heads...the 289 exhaust ports are as small as you'll ever see.

But if your not looking for big power just rebuild the 289, port the heads, change the cam, and put EFI on it. The options are just about endless...

Let your pocket book be your guide. Set a budget and see what fits into it. A well planed out build/budget is always the best option for doing a project like this.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The ford EFI system is actually really good. Simple and robust. I would not do anything but make sure I got everything, then plug it all in and see where you turn up.

You can make motor rebuild decisions after you get it working. Or change direction and put the FAST TBI system , that is really excellent, on your current engine and go that way to make more power.

Making a budget or anticipating costs is pretty tough without a good weeks worth of research to see what it will really take to accomplish your goal, and seeing what exactly you are getting in the package/project you are looking at. Your friend might have 90% of it there and just needs a few more pieces, or he might have 30% of it due to poor planning or just plain ignorance of the scope of the conversion.

nordictom

Reaction score
just my 2 cents worth, I put a '91 302 (331) EFI into our '85 Bronco (factory EFI) used all of the oem parts & computer. There used to be a guy in Apple Valley( Windsor Fox Perf) I don't if he is still around, But he made the wiring harness' match up. Never had a problem. If you use the OEM computer, find one out of the old CHIP mustangs, that's what I did. They can handle up to 600 hp. Definitely go the roller system.