WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Swim step refinishing - gel, paint or Seadek?

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I have a ‘99 Carrera 205 jet bote that I’m giving a mini-facelift to (re-powder coating the hardware, new gauges, adding electric hatch) and I want to freshen up the swim steps. I’m not looking for top shelf Billy-badass steps because well, it’s a 20 year day cruiser. :cool:

Question is, what’s the most economical way to go? I like the idea of Seadek but I’m not sure how it will lay on the step since it’s not perfectly flat....it’s slightly raised and textured in the middle and then recessed in the center. Would new gel coat be a better option or simply paint? I’d like to have the Carrera highlighted, whether it be painted or on a Seadek application.

D0CAB5D2-57DA-458B-B05A-F0B64C83F385.jpeg
78DCBFE6-95EC-4327-9809-D20D10942D23.jpeg

CobraDave

Reaction score
I think sea dek would work fine but might not go along with the style of the boat. Some billet ones to match your other hardware would be best IMO. I had a buddy paint his and they look good for a
Season. He would just repaint once a year. They honestly don’t look that bad to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wzuber

Reaction score
Re-gelling would likely be your best most economical and durable way to go about it.
Sea deck is an adhesive backed product (like tape in essence) and so it would require a smooth flat surface to adhere to. So for S.D. you would have to grind, sand and coat flat/smooth then apply the S.D. I think the S.D. would certainly have significant grip advantage if you use the s.steps a lot. Will you be putting S.D. in the cock pit as well? It kinda seems to me if sea deck is only on the s. step it may look kinda out of place as there would not be any continuity of the material in the rest of the boat but that's just from my pov. You may very well view it differently.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Re-gelling would likely be your best most economical and durable way to go about it.
Sea deck is an adhesive backed product (like tape in essence) and so it would require a smooth flat surface to adhere to. So for S.D. you would have to grind, sand and coat flat/smooth then apply the S.D. I think the S.D. would certainly have significant grip advantage if you use the s.steps a lot. Will you be putting S.D. in the cock pit as well? It kinda seems to me if sea deck is only on the s. step it may look kinda out of place as there would not be any continuity of the material in the rest of the boat but that's just from my pov. You may very well view it differently.
Definitely not putting Seadek anywhere else, so I see your point of it being out of place just on the steps. And I don’t want to get into grinding/sanding them.

I thought about billet steps, but I’d rather not drill new holes into the transom for the brackets.

Maybe gel is the best. Any recommendations in so-cal?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Have some alum milled and sized to fit your boat

wzuber

Reaction score
I thought about billet steps, but I’d rather not drill new holes into the transom for the brackets.
If you would really prefer this option you could call Bob at Marine Industries West in Anaheim and inquire with him if he can drill new brackets to match your existing bolt pattern. He took over the Dana Marine mfg. products as he worked there when the owner passed. In the event your existing is a Dana prod. they may match up already? It's worth a call.

Bob @ MIW
714/630-3905

For the re-gel option it's a pretty basic process for that of scuff sanding for good adhesion, clean and spray new gel to match existing faded shade of white. The color matching will be the most challenging aspect in your scenario. As far as recommendation for re-gel You could call Islander over in Montclair if their still there. Their's always Pat's fiberglass and gel in Upland but he's kinda spendy but it will look really good. Maybe call Barron Boats in Azusa

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Should you choose the billet option I would be very interested in buying your old swim steps.

wzuber

Reaction score
Joel @ Genesis boats out in Hemet does nice work I hear but it's a bit of a a ride.
Joel-951/992-8685

wzuber

Reaction score
There's a guy in Elsinor that has a shop who get's recommended pretty often but I can't remember his name at the moment. Hit up @Gelcoater
, he knows the dude well

I remembered it...Blas 951/941-0043

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I have billet and Seadek sure would be a lot easier on the knees,:D may not look the best though. If Seadek has an adhesive like 3-M, I'd bet it would mold and stick to your fiberglass steps with just a little roughing of the surface.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I’m a simpleton this way.
I’d touch up any dings, buff it up and run it as is.

yard dog

Reaction score
I have billet and Seadek sure would be a lot easier on the knees,:D may not look the best though. If Seadek has an adhesive like 3-M, I'd bet it would mold and stick to your fiberglass steps with just a little roughing of the surface.
I put some Seadek on my swim steps just like yours that on are my Advantage with no problems just cleaned with acetone and all was good . I put on Seadeck the because they were so slippery when wet also hard on the knees .

Last edited:

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I’m a simpleton this way.
I’d touch up any dings, buff it up and run it as is.
I’m now leaning towards that way. Might be more hassle then what it’s worth going other routes. If anything, i’d have the Carrera painted in the middle of the step just to add some color.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I put some Seadek on my swim steps just like yours that on are my Advantage with no problems just cleaned with acetone and all was good . I put on Seadeck the because they were so slippery when wet also hard on the knees .

Please post some pics of your Advantage. I just sanded the texture off my '96 and re gel coated them top and bottom.
I'm thinking Sea deck on trailer steps, fenders, and swim platform.
I agree the theme won't be the same on the carpeted inside of the boat, but I'm thinking function comfort and slip safety.

yard dog

Reaction score
Please post some pics of your Advantage. I just sanded the texture off my '96 and re gel coated them top and bottom.
I agree the theme won't be the same on the carpeted inside of the boat, but I'm thinking function comfort and slip safety.[/QUOT
I agree the theme won't be the same on the carpeted inside of the boat, but I'm thinking function comfort and slip safety.
I will post some pics of the swim step, as of now the boat is off the trailer at Adrenaline Trailers and the trailer getting a make over .

530RL

Reaction score
What did those set you back? Looks great!

I don't remember exactly where I got the teak platforms but I found them used and cheap and thought hmmmm. I'm old and have CRS but I think I found them at a swap meet in Chula Vista when we used to have a house in Coronado every summer?

The brackets were made by Gerald at Finish Line Racing in Phoenix. They were like 20 bucks each before chroming. We just bent them at an angle to make the platform flush in the water relative to the transom and then put a brace on them. I think the chroming was more expensive.

I think you could make the teak steps to whatever shape you want super cheap. They are simple as you can get. I had to take them completely apart to re-finish them and make them nice. They are super simple. Here is a picture of the bottom before I refinished them.

IMG_0579.JPG

You might be able to use your existing brackets and just make a couple teak platforms?

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Is there a seadek dealer installer in havasu?

Last edited: