WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Swimmers Itch

Ladsm

Reaction score
This last weekend we found a nice little secluded cove on Lake Mohave but it was a little too secluded and everybody in the water started itching. We found another cove right on the lake and stayed there. By the second day everybody had red bumps and itching. I have had this before at Havasu. The only way to calm my legs down was to use a pool chlorine tablet and use it like a loofa pad on my legs and then followed up with Calamine lotion.

From now on I am keeping a chlorine tablet in the boat in a ziplock baggy and if anybody starts getting the itch we are doing chlorine scrub downs in some fresher water. As the water gets hotter it might be a good thing for people to watch out for and be prepared.

swim itch.jpg

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
We call them sea lice. Warm water is where you normally run into this problem. When diving in the Caribbean, it’s a constant battle. Wash thoroughly as soon as ya get out of the water, we would use Dawn, then use Benadryl cream is ya start to get the reactions.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
My husband and son got it at Mohave over Memorial Day. We were in a cove across and about a mile north of Cottonwood.

HB2LHC

Reaction score
My daughter and I get it also in Havasu. We use this before we go in the water. We don't get them as bad as that pic above though.

1623778578117.png

FreeBird236

Reaction score
This last weekend we found a nice little secluded cove on Lake Mohave but it was a little too secluded and everybody in the water started itching. We found another cove right on the lake and stayed there. By the second day everybody had red bumps and itching. I have had this before at Havasu. The only way to calm my legs down was to use a pool chlorine tablet and use it like a loofa pad on my legs and then followed up with Calamine lotion.

From now on I am keeping a chlorine tablet in the boat in a ziplock baggy and if anybody starts getting the itch we are doing chlorine scrub downs in some fresher water. As the water gets hotter it might be a good thing for people to watch out for and be prepared.

View attachment 1013905
I'd be a little careful with using 70% chlorine on my skin, especially on the young ones.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I'd be a little careful with using 70% chlorine on my skin, especially on the young ones.
I agree but if you can wash it off right away I will take that chance myself. I have had to stand in the pool everyday using the chlorine tab to stop the itching and then a recoat of Calamine. Today seems to be better off so far. Im gonna look into that swimmers itch guard.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I was just flamed on the FB RDP page for expressing my dislike for "south" lake mohave.......lol
That being said, i've never gotten this from warm havasu water.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I was just flamed on the FB RDP page for expressing my dislike for "south" lake mohave.......lol
That being said, i've never gotten this from warm havasu water.

The cove we got it at was up above Princess Launch ramp, We went south to get cleaner flowing water.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The cove we got it at was up above Princess Launch ramp, We went south to get cleaner flowing water.

I know they frequently shut down telephone cove due to nasty water that's not safe to swim in, but that is further down past Katherines