WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Swing tongue kit hinge question

Your ad here

Reaction score
I got a swing tongue kit from Shadow Trailers. It's the weld on for a 3x4 neck but questioning the hinge. The housing is well built. The hinge is a cast piece and I'm just not to sure about its strength. First I'm questioning welding cast to CR steel and then if it's going to crack with the motion and bucking of the trailer plus there is a lot of play when the pins are in. What's the track record on these cast hinges?
20210427_174034.jpg
20210427_174054.jpg
20210427_174101.jpg

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I'm on 20 years same set up on an Extreme.. (had Extreme add it to existing trailer when I purchased it) not any signs of compromise

And I do check it frequently

Yes there is a little play in it

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I believe it’s the same set up on all the swing aways, and there are a ton out there safely rolling down the road.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
One thing I did for CR steel is you can get a torch warm it up to about 500* I'm no metalergist but I've heard through a couple sources to do this so I did.

Heres a link to my thread just installed mine:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I put the same setup on my trailer last year. I had the same thought, that there is a lot of play and is it strong enough? My boat and trailer together are ~7000lbs and I’ve towed it a couple thousand miles already with no issues at all. I think it’s a lot stronger than you think.
01B224C8-22EB-4DAD-92B0-18F0516A3D9C.jpeg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Assuming it's the same one on my Extreme trailer... no issues, once its in and tightened down I don't think you will see slop. Mine is very tight with no play when the pin is in. Boat is heavy as well.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
My guess the cast piece is cast steel as opposed to cast iron. Welding cast steel to mild steel is not a problem
You are correct.

Assuming it's the same one on my Extreme trailer... no issues, once its in and tightened down I don't think you will see slop. Mine is very tight with no play when the pin is in. Boat is heavy as well.
Yeah and I believe the nut on the bolt that hinges is a prevailing torque nut. Meaning it's got that weird oblong shape making it hard to loosen once it's been tightened.

@Your ad here when I welded mine up I also welded inside the frame for piece of mind.

Cal509

Reaction score
In 2006 I had Extreme add the Pivot Adapter (swing-away) to my Extreme trailer.
I was not happy with what I received, sloppy fit with way too much up and down and side-to-side movement.
The adapter was a casting, so I asked Extreme what the material was for the casting and I was informed that it was a precipitation hardening alloy, 17-4 or 17-7.
I don't recall which one, but that is a huge red flag to have a high strength PH alloy and welding it to a mild steel frame - likely without any pre- or post-welding processing (including NDT).

I had them remove the Pivot Adapter and they replaced it with a Revolution style unit, and they happily welded it in place and it has not been a problem.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
In 2006 I had Extreme add the Pivot Adapter (swing-away) to my Extreme trailer.
I was not happy with what I received, sloppy fit with way too much up and down and side-to-side movement.
The adapter was a casting, so I asked Extreme what the material was for the casting and I was informed that it was a precipitation hardening alloy, 17-4 or 17-7.
I don't recall which one, but that is a huge red flag to have a high strength PH alloy and welding it to a mild steel frame - likely without any pre- or post-welding processing (including NDT).

I had them remove the Pivot Adapter and they replaced it with a Revolution style unit, and they happily welded it in place and it has not been a problem.

Getting an extreme trailer in a bit, is Revolution the brand name? I would like to know more about this if it is better. Make sure I ask for it.

Cal509

Reaction score
I really don't know today. 15 years ago, it was a different model.
Extreme is now owned by Lippert Components who also own Zieman and a host of other companies.
What I would suggest is that you get whatever part matches - (1) material to material and (2) form to form.
That is, mild steel to mild steel and wrought product to wrought product.
A casting is not a wrought product and will have different material properties and depending on the foundry and the design requirements could be an excellent component, or it could be loaded with internal defects such as porosity and voids. If the casting has no non-destructive test requirements imposed, then caveat emptor. Beware of what you are getting, as the level of quality would likely be pure guesswork.

The best thing to do is ask questions until you are 100% satisfied with the answers you receive.

Cal509

Reaction score
I actually found email from 2006 and cast stainless steel is mentioned. I do know I spoke with Extreme and they noted the alloy which would most likely be 17-4, since 17-7 is not available as a cast form (sheet, plate, strip, tube forms - per AMS specs).

Your ad here

Reaction score
So I did weld the cast piece to the trailer. Not my first choice but I just need to get this trailer up to par, if that's the phrase and it's really just making a 2 mile round trip from the house to launch ramp. I'm spending too much time on it... 5 weekends back and forth with tires and modifying the fenders to fit because 205/55D14 tires are expensive and only 1 make so 205/65R14 were installed at half the price but a 1-1/2" taller. Weekend 3 on the tongue now. First weekemd was cut and weld. BTW the portable Dewalt band saw is bad ass. Weekend 2 I was sick so I drove out to installed the brake line and brought the tongue home to paint. Weekend 3 is modifying the tongue for a trailer dolly thingy and painting. Weekend 4 is drive back out to weld the chain hooks to trailer, paint trailer at hinge, then finish. I'm dreading the bunks.
Only picture I have shows it tacked but its fully welded now.
20210501_175446.jpg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
So I did weld the cast piece to the trailer. Not my first choice but I just need to get this trailer up to par, if that's the phrase and it's really just making a 2 mile round trip from the house to launch ramp. I'm spending too much time on it... 5 weekends back and forth with tires and modifying the fenders to fit because 205/55D14 tires are expensive and only 1 make so 205/65R14 were installed at half the price but a 1-1/2" taller. Weekend 3 on the tongue now. First weekemd was cut and weld. BTW the portable Dewalt band saw is bad ass.
Looks great I think you'll be happy!

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I had a commander with one of those trailer setups. Apparently commanders are fetching $45k these days.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I had a commander with one of those trailer setups. Apparently commanders are fetching $45k these days.
I had one to but I think the hinge setup was reverse to this one. Plates on the trailer and pin sleeves on the tongue. I saw that Commander ad as well, crazy.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Got the tongue painted. $17 HVLP pistol from Amazon worked well. I went with gray because I dont even want to attempt matching 30 year old faded paint and wanted a neutral color that is just different enough to look decent rather than a blue that looks like an attempted patch.
20210515_082313.jpg

Reactions: DLC

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Thanks for the information on this kit. I'd like to get this done to my 38 year old trailer.

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Got the tongue painted. $17 HVLP pistol from Amazon worked well. I went with gray because I dont even want to attempt matching 30 year old faded paint and wanted a neutral color that is just different enough to look decent rather than a blue that looks like an attempted patch.
View attachment 1002659
Bass boat glitter red would have been cool. You need anymore used tensor 35s? I have three.