WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Switching from 496 HO to carb motor???

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
So I am currently running a 496 HO in my 2006 27 daytona. I have a chance to pick up a 550 HP motor, aluminum heads, with headers for a REALLY good price. But......it’s a carburetor motor. Any thoughts on advantages, disadvantages on swapping to a carb motor? I only run at havasu so tuning isn’t an issue. Thoughts?

renodaytona

Reaction score
Are you sellIng the 496? Will that balance out the cost of buying the carb motor? What carb is on that motor now? A bit of work on your fuel system but other that it’s pretty straight forward swap.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
So I am currently running a 496 HO in my 2006 27 daytona. I have a chance to pick up a 550 HP motor, aluminum heads, with headers for a REALLY good price. But......it’s a carburetor motor. Any thoughts on advantages, disadvantages on swapping to a carb motor? I only run at havasu so tuning isn’t an issue. Thoughts?

Boats with carb motors dont bring in the same value as anything fuel injected. 550 HP doesnt seem like enough of an increase to justify the RR. I would hold out or start talking about a rebuild on the 496, change internals and see what kind of reliable HP someone can give you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My 2cents, about what it's worth. A carb motor is going to be less forgiving of things. Timing and fuel curves for given parameters are fixed with a carbed motor. Meaning fuel quality, ambient air temps and your throttle usage come into play a lot more. Where as a bad tank of fuel may not "feel right" in the 496, stuff can get ugly if you aren't paying attention with a carb. I think it really depends on your style of boating and such.

The other thing, what all des the other motor come with? Carb, ignition and accessories? Those are added costs as well.

Could also setup the carb motor with EFI...may be a vendor or two here that can help you out ;)

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Waste
Of
Time
And
Money

550 isn’t going to push that boat fast enough to warrant the headache. If you do put more HP to it, the drive and steering will need redone too! Enjoy the trouble free boating the HOs provide and have fun. When you’re ready to go faster, but one that is setup for your wants.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Carbs in havasu, if that’s where your going to use it, suck

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
The motor is complete but I just wanted to get some opinions on here on swapping. I haven’t committed to anything, still doing research. I definitely am looking into a rebuild to make the 496 reliable and add some power. Does anyone have any info or experience with the Hardcore 1 guy who was advertising 496 long blocks on here?

parker guy

Reaction score
The motor is complete but I just wanted to get some opinions on here on swapping. I haven’t committed to anything, still doing research. I definitely am looking into a rebuild to make the 496 reliable and add some power. Does anyone have any info or experience with the Hardcore 1 guy who was advertising 496 long blocks on here?
Boostpower offers a mice package for the 496....

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Ok how about another question then....does anybody have FIRSTHAND experience with a shop who has rebuilt a 496? Between a couple of my buddies and you guys I think I know the answer the carb motor question. I would say it’s a no.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

Another thought as someone mentioned, sometimes its cheaper to sell the boat and buy something that has the power you want!

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Waste
Of
Time
And
Money

550 isn’t going to push that boat fast enough to warrant the headache. If you do put more HP to it, the drive and steering will need redone too! Enjoy the trouble free boating the HOs provide and have fun. When you’re ready to go faster, but one that is setup for your wants.
My 496 has NOT been trouble free!!! Lol

Singleton

Reaction score

do yourself and your wallet a favor.
call Alexi @BoostPower and have him work his 496 magic

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Another thought as someone mentioned, sometimes its cheaper to sell the boat and buy something that has the power you want!

I agree with you 100 percent and me and the wife go back and forth all the time about what we should do. The main problem I have is A boat I would want is a shitload of money. We enjoy the boat we have, just want more power. The only way I would buy another boat is if the gel, etc was exactly what I wanted, which is pretty impossible to find. I can’t see spending more money on a used boat and having it being a compromise like the boat I have now is. Which puts me in the position to keep the boat I have or buy a brand new boat.....and that’s not happening!!!

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I love em all. Actually building a big power carb deal for a guy now[emoji1303]

Sent from my Efi Beacon!
Do you guys ever answer your phone??? Lol. I need some options and prices on what to do with my 496 boat anchor.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My 496 has NOT been trouble free!!! Lol

There is nothing wrong with a properly set up carbed motor. And for all those out there, the 496 is not a trouble free engine as has a nasty reputation for fuel quality issues. Not excluding shooting rods through the oil pan. In fact a carbureted engine is much more forgiving fuel wise. If a 496 is having issues, most wont notice and will continue to run it until it blows up. If a carbed motor isn't running right, you will know it and get it fixed.

I'm not saying do the swap, or dont do the swap just because its carbureted.But what I am saying is just because it's a carbed doesn't make it bad or run more terribly. The only correct thing I see is that it will hurt resale value these days.

I personally would stay away from aluminum headed marine engines unless they're setup for closed cooling though.

On that note, a set of water jacketed headers and an ecm tune on a 496 with a fully refreshed fuel system could probably buy you 50ish hp at a fraction of the cost and headache

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know the power adders for a 496, but what about a tune and a huffer? How much more juice do you want, and how much is the budget? My budget has always been in the lower juice limits 🤫

4Waters

Reaction score
I love tuning a carb, reading the plugs, adjusting the timing etc..... I did that for years on my racecar at the track and I'll do it again if I get another racecar but when it comes to my boat and street car I just want it to fire up and go, that's why they are injected.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I don't know the power adders for a 496, but what about a tune and a huffer? How much more juice do you want, and how much is the budget? My budget has always been in the lower juice limits 🤫
Lol advertising my budget on this forum is just asking to get harassed like a red headed stepchild!!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Lol advertising my budget on this forum is just asking to get harassed like a red headed stepchild!!!
Totally understand 😂
It's a matter of a saying we've all heard since youth, "Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?"
There is always a sliding scale with anything fast. To gain a couple more HP is pretty easy, it's the last few that get expensive. I don't know how much you can gain from computer work and such, which would be relatively easy. If your current motor is currently giving you issues though, better to do what you want to gain now, than repair something you still aren't happy with. Spend more once, better than spending a lot twice.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I agree with you 100 percent and me and the wife go back and forth all the time about what we should do. The main problem I have is A boat I would want is a shitload of money. We enjoy the boat we have, just want more power. The only way I would buy another boat is if the gel, etc was exactly what I wanted, which is pretty impossible to find. I can’t see spending more money on a used boat and having it being a compromise like the boat I have now is. Which puts me in the position to keep the boat I have or buy a brand new boat.....and that’s not happening!!!

Im with you on that all the way!

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
Totally understand 😂
It's a matter of a saying we've all heard since youth, "Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?"
There is always a sliding scale with anything fast. To gain a couple more HP is pretty easy, it's the last few that get expensive. I don't know how much you can gain from computer work and such, which would be relatively easy. If your current motor is currently giving you issues though, better to do what you want to gain now, than repair something you still aren't happy with. Spend more once, better than spending a lot twice.
Agreed. I’m calling BP tomorrow, got the right number from a PM.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
What drive and steering setup do you currently have?
Bravo 1x and no hydraulic steering so I know that would need to be upgraded also with anything over 500 hp. The steering would be more of a priority than the drive as long as I baby it out of the hole.

Boat 405

Reaction score

I swapped out my 496 for a carbed 540 making 780 hp 3 years ago on my 25 daytona. Made the boat a completely different boat. I love it. It had an 1150 dominator Holley on it. Ran it that way for two seasons. Had an offer from a friend to buy the 540 from me. I sold it and had enough parts from years of collecting parts to build up a 582. I built the 582 and put on a Holley EFI port injection system. Had it tuned in the dyno, then in the boat. Spent the better part of a year trying to get it to run correctly. Finally took off the EFI and went to a single 1150 carb dominator and have been running for about 20 hours since without any problems. Runs great, runs up to 110. I’ll get back into the EFI some day when I have more time. My 16 month old keeps me busy. Maneuvering around the docks is tricky because it doesn’t like to idle but that is due to a large cam and to get 860 hp from a motor without a blower or turbos you’ll need as much cam as you can get away with. At 550 hp you won’t have that problem. A stock form 496 HO weighs in at 1100 pounds full trim.
A typical iron block with aluminum heads BBC in full trim will weigh about 700 lbs without headers. So the weight savings is huge. I also am running a locked out distributor at 34 degrees advance all the time. The MSD digital 7 box has a start retard and has adjustable timing curves you can program into the box to make up for the locked out distributor. A fuel system from a 496 to a carbed bbc is easy. The 496 did not use a return to tanks fuel system so really all you need is a fuel pump fuel filter and a fuel regulator before your carb coming from your tank selector valve.

I wouldn’t hesitate to make the change. 125 more hp and I’m sure close to that or more on torque plus the 400 lbs weight savings. Yeah it’s worth it.

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I swapped out my 496 for a carbed 540 making 780 hp 3 years ago on my 25 daytona. Made the boat a completely different boat. I love it. It had an 1150 dominator Holley on it. Ran it that way for two seasons. Had an offer from a friend to buy the 540 from me. I sold it and had enough parts from years of collecting parts to build up a 582. I built the 582 and put on a Holley EFI port injection system. Had it tuned in the dyno, then in the boat. Spent the better part of a year trying to get it to run correctly. Finally took off the EFI and went to a single 1150 carb dominator and have been running for about 20 hours since without any problems. Runs great, runs up to 110. I’ll get back into the EFI some day when I have more time. My 16 month old keeps me busy. Maneuvering around the docks is tricky because it doesn’t like to idle but that is due to a large cam and to get 860 hp from a motor without a blower or turbos you’ll need as much cam as you can get away with. At 550 hp you won’t have that problem. A stock form 496 HO weighs in at 1100 pounds full trim.
A typical iron block with aluminum heads BBC in full trim will weigh about 700 lbs without headers. So the weight savings is huge. I also am running a locked out distributor at 34 degrees advance all the time. The MSD digital 7 box has a start retard and has adjustable timing curves you can program into the box to make up for the locked out distributor. A fuel system from a 496 to a carbed bbc is easy. The 496 did not use a return to tanks fuel system so really all you need is a fuel pump fuel filter and a fuel regulator before your carb coming from your tank selector valve.

I wouldn’t hesitate to make the change. 125 more hp and I’m sure close to that or more on torque plus the 400 lbs weight savings. Yeah it’s worth it.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I have a lot to think about.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I have a Blueprint Marine 632, that is brand new, in a crate, complete carb to pan, with dyno sheet. I’d like to sell it. $10k

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Waste
Of
Time
And
Money

Dont you have a 632ci carb motor that would work great and drop right in he could buy?

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I have a Blueprint Marine 632, that is brand new, in a crate, complete carb to pan, with dyno sheet. I’d like to sell it. $10k

Haha.. you posted as I was typing..

If I had the $ that fukr would be in my boat!

700hp in my jet boat would be GREAT!

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
And just for the record, I have a carb motor in my boat and with some tuning it doesnt skip a beat.

The only issue I have had is the choke sticking. Removed all the choke shit, including shaft and plate, and havent had an issue. Just have to hit the throttle a couple times before i turn the key. It has a Demon carb

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I just want the leftovers some of ya'll have under your work benches! 632's, 540's...all I have is a few carbs and some injector stuff. I need to up my go-fast game.

jet496

Reaction score
I'm sure you thought of this, but what about a ProCharger ? I thought about doing it to mine, which had a forged crank (built in 2001 or 2002 when they first came out with them), but was satisfied with it since it was nice & reliable as it was.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I had to fix a deal that someone had pulled an EFI engine out and replaced it with a carb engine.

It was a complete disaster.

A ton of money was spent to get all the different fuel supply issues resolved.

PM me for details if you'd like. I'd highly recommend NOT to do this swap.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I had to fix a deal that someone had pulled an EFI engine out and replaced it with a carb engine.

It was a complete disaster.

A ton of money was spent to get all the different fuel supply issues resolved.

PM me for details if you'd like. I'd highly recommend NOT to do this swap.
I’m so curious. Do tell what happened. It should be as simple as a Fuel pump, Fuel filter and a regulator to feed the carb down stream from the fuel tank selector valve? How could that be so hard?

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
I’m so curious. Do tell what happened. It should be as simple as a Fuel pump, Fuel filter and a regulator to feed the carb down stream from the fuel tank selector valve? How could that be so hard?
I was wondering the same thing, pretty much a fuel line from the tank selector valve to the fuel pump to the carb right?