WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SXS for work

UltraLucky

Reaction score
We are picking up more and more projects at remote sites like military bases in the desert and seems like a good excuse to pick up a SxS. Only real side x side option I am seeing out there that has a usable bed or is practical to work out of is the ranger crew, any other options? Hoping what ever I pick up can be upgraded suspension wise for some decent off roading. How capable is the Ranger Crew once modded?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Rhino 700 or 450 we have a 450 bought new in 06 we use the shit out of it here on the ranch

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
How much space do you need? The new Textron Wildcat XX has a pretty decent sized bed

hallett21

Reaction score
Are you on narrow roads that you require a SXS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We are picking up more and more projects at remote sites like military bases in the desert and seems like a good excuse to pick up a SxS. Only real side x side option I am seeing out there that has a usable bed or is practical to work out of is the ranger crew, any other options? Hoping what ever I pick up can be upgraded suspension wise for some decent off roading. How capable is the Ranger Crew once modded?

B3717825-7C92-4FB9-84BC-756C8AA0823A.jpeg
40EBBF5E-67F8-4235-B8D2-A960DF97B605.jpeg

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Are you on narrow roads that you require a SXS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mostly old non maintained fire roads, sandy washes dry lake beds that usually have some decent soggy spots.

Taboma

Reaction score
We owned a 700 Ranger, was perfect for working around the ranch and hauling rock etc. It was also fun for rather lazy trail rides and it would climb like a mountain goat.
But due to the high center of gravity, stock suspension and smallish tires, at 40 it felt fast enough on a smooth dirt road, I never wanted to push our luck.
One thing we did like, the ease of entry and exit, you could stop, jump out back in, easy. Also very easy to check your tire placement if in the rocks.
Tilt bed was handy as well.
We now own a Wildcat XX, yeah you could toss some shit in the bed, but compared to the Ranger, it's not nearly as well suited for job site use.
Now depending on who's driving it --- like you as for instance --- maybe check out a Polaris General, that's the best combo for work and play I've sat in.
I know Kawasaki, Textron, Can Am, Yamaha, Honda --- they've all got more utility types, but a Ranger like Dave's would haul more people and stuff.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
@RiverDave what all have you done to your ranger? What motor? EPS? Im starting to look at them and love the look of your Ranger, mine will be more for hunting but ya never know.

rickym20

Reaction score
The company I work for finally gave in and bought a couple RZR ranger crew models for some of the bigger projects we have . They have been great for all around utility vehicles.
The guys did put one on its side by the rash marks I see on one but of course no one will take the blame. I am sure it was a good story one day I will get out of someone when we are drinking beers together. Sometimes some things are better left untold....
We pull towable welders around, supplies, employees into areas our 2 wheel drive trucks would have issues . So far they have been basic maintenance and been good.

Any model/ brand you choose be careful with gas in the back. This was a rental on a Jobsite in San Diego from another sub contractor. Fuel was leaking out of a faulty gas can.
6C0F8B31-22ED-490A-B16D-604F6852471B.jpeg

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Honda Pioneer 1000.
Good bed space, good tow rating, solid machine.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Viking and it's great except for a limited aftermarket following. Hard to beat the Ranger for an all-around answer. For a pure construction angle I would give a hard look at a Kubota diesel.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Viking and it's great except for a limited aftermarket following. Hard to beat the Ranger for an all-around answer. For a pure construction angle I would give a hard look at a Kubota diesel.

I own an RTV900, and based on the described use, I would look at other options. They ride very rough and top out around 25-30 mph or so. They are built to be workhorses but not very mobile.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I just put this one up for sale yesterday. 17, Low hours and miles, loaded, and very clean less the last pic. Can Am Defender Max. PM me if your interested.
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2322.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave what all have you done to your ranger? What motor? EPS? Im starting to look at them and love the look of your Ranger, mine will be more for hunting but ya never know.

My friend Eric built it. There's so much shit in this car it would be a long long list. It started with just adding a simple roof rack and kind of snowballed into a display vehicle.

It has the Super ATV lift kit, then he modified the shock towers to accept King Shocks (with Clickers / adjustable). He had the kings custom valved and sprung for the weight. I upgraded the Super ATV original axles to the Rhino 2.0's not that long ago. Limit Straps by Speed Strap. Custom front bumper / skid plate. The roof rack has 360 degrees of lighting with a 50 inch radius on the front, two 36 light bars on the sides, two 12 inch in the back, one amber that is on when the front light bars are on (chase light).
The roof rack is real deal and you can stand on it etc. It ties into two swinging gates in the back that hold the spare tires. The gates open so you can load the bed etc.. Then it ties into the rear bumper which holds a small aluminum floor jack that can be removed to change tires. The floor jack actually doubles as a rear skid plate and the whole thing is pretty trick.
It has PCI Radios with Car to car and 5 head sets. It has a full kicker stereo with 3 amps on a custom sheet metal rack, two 10's, 2 6.5's and two 8 inch tower speakers in the back (it's loud for a SXS) the dash has a Kicker KMC10. It has one Full River group 31 battery to power all that. The dash is all custom made sheet metal that was formed and houses all the switches, radio / car to car / headset controls etc and was powdercoated to match. Lowrance (touch screen) up on top of the dash in front of the driver.
It has the 25% gear reduction kit in the tranny (don't let that fool you, it's actually faster on the top end now then it was with the original gearing) to help with acceleration etc. 6 MSA 14 inch wheels and Kanati Mongrels (new style & they are new). SWB particle seperator. The real cool stuff is in all the fabrication though, the guy that built it is extremely talented.

RD