Reaction score
Anyone have tips & tricks?
TPC?
Dragging the sled out there next week. Hope it's not hot. :rolleyes:

TIA!

Reactions: TPC

j-bone

Reaction score
Broken Arrow is a must see. Not a long ride, but fun. Some fun rock crawling obstacles. There are go arounds on the difficult ones if that's not your thing. We also rode to a trail head and hiked to devils bridge, also worth seeing. We did three days of off-roading there last fall. I prefer Moab, but Sedona was nice. Definitely take the SXS.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Going to be a little warm.
3DEE3F40-3BA9-4AC3-8D97-FC6BAC30D65E.png

2Driver

Reaction score
IMO Sedona offers very very little for off roading. Tourist routes have hikers or Jeep tours crammed on them. It’s a circus

Personally I’d never bother trailering a SXS to Sedona. I’d take hiking shoes, and or a Mt Bike, you’d have better time. Lots of other stuff to do there. Don’t miss dinning at Mariposa

If you are willing to drive 45-hour out of Sedona then you have some decent country

Last edited:

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
IMO Sedona offers very very little for off roading. Tourist routes have hikers or Jeep tours crammed on them. It’s a circus

Personally I’d never bother trailering a SXS to Sedona. I’d take hiking shoes, and or a Mt Bike, you’d have better time. Lots of other stuff to do there. Don’t miss dinning at Mariposa

If you are willing to drive 45-hour out of Sedona then you have some decent country
Willing to drive. Recommendations?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
We stayed at a friend's house in Cottonwood and rode the streets through Jerome and up to Sedona and Oak Creek canyon.
We tried a couple off road trails but we were by ourselves and didn't go far.
We saw so much just riding the roads.
I'll have to look it up but there's a fire road between Cottonwood and Sedona.
We rode out to Sycamore trail and hiked for a bit.
Even saw a school bus with a marijuana flag lol. The lady was really nice but it was like stepping back in time with her dancing and loving everyone.
20150917_144350_zpsekfs8qgc.jpg

20150919_10454821_zpsxq45zdlu.jpg
20150918_100001_zpsrkyjhygb.jpg

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
It's actually not all that bad. If you take Schnebly Hill Rd, north out of Sedona you have a huge forest access. Once on top, you can cross I-17 and take FS roads all the way to Happy Jack, go have lunch at Mormon Lake Lodge. You can also get down to Stoneman Lake Rd. I have a home in Munds Park and we go down Schnebly Hill into Sedona for dinner frequently.

Just get a FS map. I use an APP called GAIA GPS. You needn't worry about making wrong turns onto roads in a forest you don't know. You can tap a button and record your track.

2Driver

Reaction score
It all depends on what type of experience you are looking for. Anything in or just out of Sedona is pretty much contained and full of tourist hiking or renting sxs or Jeep tours. Like Nanga said head out bound. The road out of cottonwood ends at a 63” or less wide gate and is permit trips only for larger vehicles ( already sold out for 2019.

Out there you keep running into the red rock and sycamore wilderness areas. Good thing is that the views and country are all superb.

Just look at FS roads on google earth, BUT be sure to turn on “wilderness boundaries” so you know where the road is gated and runs into wilderness. Going over by Nanga it’s a little more open or some areas up by Prescott

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
As far as your point about not being too hot. Sedona is typically 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix. If you go up to the area I am talking about its 20-25, even 30 degrees cooler.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Funny this thread pops up while Alice and I are planing trip there late Sept/Oct
Like mentioned above, nothing much in the way of trails to run. Friends that have tried it say forget the SXS.

When we went to Colorado, Rainbow Falls last year we had to find the Ranger office that sells off highway vehicle permits, not all of them do and it was a hassle and the trails were limited. Pulling permits to ride is out for us from now on.

We're checking out Loy Butte Rd.
https://www.campendium.com/loy-butte-road

7200183096_c6083dbfb2_b.jpg

Rim Road:
stelprdb5305670.jpg

Their is a RV park with direct trail access we're told. We have to search further and find the name. May be NPS.

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
I found this download into Google earth really helpful for navigating the Wilderness boundaries as that is where you get shut out despite it looking like an open FS road in earth.. Choose your state and it will show the boundaries in earth.

Navigate to the "Earth" tab then choose the state. It should populate Google earth with the boundaries. https://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/geography

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Williams, Flagstaff, Happy Jack or even Verde Valley all have better trails for a SXS and won’t be crowded with “Sedona Tourists”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Williams is cool, bad ass.
Nice to roll into the old town with the SXS and park and hit the saloons and slop chutes.
Nice trails up to the rim as well.
Trick is to hit the dry camp spots before noon, they fill up fast every day. Grab the first one that your rig fits. Otherwise they fill up behind you while you search for something better.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Williams is cool, bad ass.
Nice to roll into the old town with the SXS and park and hit the saloons and slop chutes.
Nice trails up to the rim as well.
Trick is to hit the dry camp spots before noon, they fill up fast every day. Grab the first one that your rig fits. Otherwise they fill up behind you while you search for something better.

Like this camp? Lol that was our group last Labor Day, will be up there again this year.
IMG_0219.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Williams is our favorite. You used to go up any day of the week and find a spot.
Fortunately we go up during the week now
We were up there a couple weeks ago
Still snow over by Flagstaff.
We saw so many elk and deer it was amazing
20190502_1333431.jpg
36712060031_1ba6865ec5_k.jpg
image00000011.jpg
williams.jpg

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I'm not sure about off roading but there are certain sections designated as red rock area and closed to camping and other areas that require fees.
Spoke to a couple locals in Williams and there are trails that are closed and it doesn't always have a sign telling you so
Rangers wrote over 7000 citations and the judge told them to stop lol
I can't find a trail map that shows closed trails.
We stay on most of the fire roads anyway
Maybe someone else has better info
red-rock-big-map.png