WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SXS Tires BFG vs Katani

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Soooooo went to Cal City last week and sure as shit, I popped two tires and bent two rims of the brand new rims and tires I bought the week before. Yes they were stock XRS rims and tires but were still brand new. Actually got from an inmate here. Luckily I was able to pay someone $100 to go to my house and drive my other set of 4 XRS rims and tires out to me in Cal City. I had the extra set because I bought them from another inmate on here but @LargeOrangeFont pointed out the new set that another inmate was selling. So that's how I ended up with two sets. LOL

Good thing or else I would have only been riding for one day. Yes it happened on day one. Luckily I was with a good group who helped me change the tire. Here are a few pictures. The hill we went up was pretty rocky and I could have taken it slower.

But that brings me to my next issue. What kind of new tire to get next? I know Tensors are good. But I also like the BFG mud terrain and also the Katani Mongrel. The BFG are 8 ply and the Katani are 10 ply. Both similar in price. Any one have these and how do they perform?

Also on rims, I would like to keep the stock rims for now then maybe upgrade later? But I'm wondering is there any benefit to 15 inch than 14 inch? Thinking Method or Raceline?

So what does the RDP brain trust say?

Cal city 2.jpg
Cal City.jpg

Katani Tire Mongrel.png

BFGoodrich_Mud_Terrain_KM3_UTV_Tire.JPG

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Boy this is escalating quickly. :)

There are a TON of tires on the market now. The BFGs are really good but are also on the more expensive side. The newer Kanatis are good too. There are a lot of good options and also a lot of good options that are on the less expensive side.

15"s will be heavier overall. If you want to stay with 30"-32" tires my recommendation would be stay on 14" wheels because they are a little lighter. You have a little less tire choice with 32"s on 14 inch wheels so know that going in, but still there are plenty of options out there.

Big Horns are OK at everything but not very durable. A set of desert style tires for medium to hard pack will make the car perform better. They will suck in sand though, so just be aware of that.

Some others to look at-

System 3 RT320
ITP Ultracross R spec
Maxxis Liberty
I have heard the CST Apache is really good too. This tire just won the UTV WC in Havasu - no flats the entire race.
Tensor Regulators are not bad, but there are better, lighter options these days that are just as durable.

I am sure others will chime in with what they like. Again.. TONS of options right now.

Last edited:

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Both great strong tires. Most like the look of the Bfg over the Kanati.

My buddy claims his tensor 35’s on method 15” 409’s are lighter than my 33 Kanati terra masters on 15”s
At $2500 for his set they better be
I’m happy with my Kanati’s although not the mongrels.
I got mine for $205 each fwiw
System 3’s are getting good reviews

PlanB

Reaction score
15’s will give more clearance between the rim and the brake calipers. Guys that run 14’s in rocky areas say the calipers and inside of the rims get beat to shit.

Look for sales from Method. I was able to basically get a free wheel and tire (33” Tensor) from them during a three day sale they had.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
15’s will give more clearance between the rim and the brake calipers. Guys that run 14’s in rocky areas say the calipers and inside of the rims get beat to shit.

Look for sales from Method. I was able to basically get a free wheel and tire (33” Tensor) from them during a three day sale they had.

Agreed, This is the advantage to a 15" wheel.

I don't know what the base Can Ams X3s have in terms of brakes compared to the top line models?

My 1000 RZR has smaller brakes than the Turbo, so no real rock interference issues running 14s. In a RZR Turbo car, I'd step up to 15" wheels because the brakes are bigger.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Boy this is escalating quickly. :)

There are a TON of tires on the market now. The BFGs are really good but are also on the more expensive side. The newer Kanatis are good too. There are a lot of good options and also a lot of good options that are on the less expensive side.

15"s will be heavier overall. If you want to stay with 30"-32" tires my recommendation would be stay on 14" wheels because they are a little lighter. You have a little less tire choice with 32"s on 14 inch wheels so know that going in, but still there are plenty of options out there.

Big Horns are OK at everything but not very durable. A set of desert style tires for medium to hard pack will make the car perform better. They will suck in sand though, so just be aware of that.

Some others to look at-

System 3 RT320
ITP Ultracross R spec
Maxxis Liberty
I have heard the CST Apache is really good too. This tire just won the UTV WC in Havasu - no flats the entire race.
Tensor Regulators are not bad, but there are better, lighter options these days that are just as durable.

I am sure others will chime in with what they like. Again.. TONS of options right now.

Thanks, I'm thinking of sticking with 30". Some friends have 32" but they rub on the inside. Unless I get offset rims, but I hear that can mess with your steering down the line.

A guy in Cal City was selling the Katani's for $820 OTD installed. They were 30x10x14. I almost pulled the trigger but my wife was close by. LOL

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

That's actually the only reason I am considering 15" rims. There is almost zero room between my brakes and rims.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I have had good luck with my EFX Motohammers, through a source in Phoenix they are $200/tire OTD for 32's. Sliced a sidewall on my last trip to quartszite (super rocky) because I was a moron and forgot to check my pressure before we left and they were sitting at about 6PSI. On that same trip, a set of Tensor's with 14PSI sliced a sidewall too.

If you are looking at rims, the most important thing to consider is not going wider (can never remember if that means more or less offset) shoot for a 5/1 ish offset to not add scrub radius. Do some searching on youtube shock therapy did a video explaining it and how it can ruin front end geometry. Pretty interesting.

PlanB

Reaction score
Agreed, This is the advantage to a 15" wheel.

I don't know what the base Can Ams X3s have in terms of brakes compared to the top line models?

My 1000 RZR has smaller brakes than the Turbo, so no real rock interference issues running 14s. In a RZR Turbo car, I'd step up to 15" wheels because the brakes are bigger.

I am not sure if there is a difference, but I think the OP has a 64” car. I did not think about the tire clearance issue. Might have to stay with a 14” with a smaller tire.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Both great strong tires. Most like the look of the Bfg over the Kanati.

My buddy claims his tensor 35’s on method 15” 409’s are lighter than my 33 Kanati terra masters on 15”s
At $2500 for his set they better be
I’m happy with my Kanati’s although not the mongrels.
I got mine for $205 each fwiw
System 3’s are getting good reviews

I'm not too picky on the look, but the BFG do look nice. I like the Katani because they are 10 ply. I also like the price of the Terra masters. I can get 4 for around $650.00. Not installed of course.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
That's actually the only reason I am considering 15" rims. There is almost zero room between my brakes and rims.

What options are out there for a 15 x 30 tire?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'm not too picky on the look, but the MFG do look nice. I like the Katani because they are 10 ply. I also like the price of the Terra masters. I can get 4 for around $650.00. Not installed of course.

I'd be careful looking solely at ply count, sure it will be more durable but it will also be heavier and a harsher ride through chatter than an 8 ply tire. Not saying one is better than other either way, but their are pro's and cons.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I have had good luck with my EFX Motohammers, through a source in Phoenix they are $200/tire OTD for 32's. Sliced a sidewall on my last trip to quartszite (super rocky) because I was a moron and forgot to check my pressure before we left and they were sitting at about 6PSI. On that same trip, a set of Tensor's with 14PSI sliced a sidewall too.

If you are looking at rims, the most important thing to consider is not going wider (can never remember if that means more or less offset) shoot for a 5/1 ish offset to not add scrub radius. Do some searching on youtube shock therapy did a video explaining it and how it can ruin front end geometry. Pretty interesting.

I saw and heard about really offset wheels can mess up your steering. Happened to my neighbor who was in the picture helping me change my tire. LOL

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I just put on Mongrels and wow wht a difference from the stock tires....immediately a softer ride. felt like i changed my suspension....also less noisy on the road! I would gladly buy the mongrels again!

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I am not sure if there is a difference, but I think the OP has a 64” car. I did not think about the tire clearance issue. Might have to stay with a 14” with a smaller tire.

Yup 64" car

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
What options are out there for a 15 x 30 tire?

Quite a bit actually. But for a 30 inch tire is it worth going to a 15 inch rim? Other than for clearance from the brakes and rims.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I just put on Mongrels and wow wht a difference from the stock tires....immediately a softer ride. felt like i changed my suspension....also less noisy on the road! I would gladly buy the mongrels again!

Update: I read your last post.

Really? What size rim and tire are your running?

riverroyal

Reaction score
15" methods. 32" AMS M1 evils
600 miles. No issues. They even work great at 70mph on asphalt
20200416_185044.jpg
20200111_133423.jpg

Roaddawg

Reaction score
I put close to 200 miles on my rzr in Cal City last week. I run the og Tensor regulators and have been pretty happy with them. I run the 30's on a 14" rim

riverroyal

Reaction score
Im super happy with them. 10 psi. No side wall roll. Hook up is crazy good. Side slide is predicable. Price was good, I got them at Coyne in El Centro and had Big O in havasu due the mounting AND balancing

PlanB

Reaction score
Quite a bit actually. But for a 30 inch tire is it worth going to a 15 inch rim? Other than for clearance from the brakes and rims.

If the brakes are the same as on the 72" car I would do it just for the brakes.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I saw and heard about really offset wheels can mess up your steering. Happened to my neighbor who was in the picture helping me change my tire. LOL
Yes, stick with 5/2 offset or even better 6/1. Any rim with a flat face will be good.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Correct he has the base 64" car. If he is not going to increase the power personally I'd stay in the 30" range.

But I believe you can flash the 120 HP base car up to the 170 HP power level? In which case I'd say re do the clutching on the car and run 32"s

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Correct he has the base 64" car. If he is not going to increase the power personally I'd stay in the 30" range.

But I believe you can flash the 120 HP base car up to the 170 HP power level? In which case I'd say re do the clutching on the car and run 32"s

Me with my 125hp NA on 32s with stock clutching and stock ecu

18a5c624814d1fee69692841d2f92e89ad-21-homer-bushes-lede.rhorizontal.w1200.jpg

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

Correct. I can go from 120 to 172 by adding an intercooler, charge tube, blow off valve and the tune. But the tune for the 2021 model isn't out yet, at least that what the guys at Moto Expo told me. Cost would be about $1300-$1400. They said the fuel pump, injectors, clutch everything else is the same on the 120 models and the 172 models.

37 boat

Reaction score
I have a little over 3000 miles on my Can am and my Tensor Regulators are pretty worn out. I could probably squeeze more out of them but I just ordered BFG's last night at https://www.proutvparts.com/. I got the 32/10/15's for 199.00 a piece, free shipping and no sales tax. BFG/Michelin also has a promo going on right now for a rebate depending on the amount purchased.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have 2300 miles on my car with pro armor tires. No flats or cuts or punctures and I drive hard. They work really well in havasu. 30” tires.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a little over 3000 miles on my Can am and my Tensor Regulators are pretty worn out. I could probably squeeze more out of them but I just ordered BFG's last night at https://www.proutvparts.com/. I got the 32/10/15's for 199.00 a piece, free shipping and no sales tax. BFG/Michelin also has a promo going on right now for a rebate depending on the amount purchased.

That’s a good price.

PlanB

Reaction score
Method is giving 15% off of wheels through though 4th.

DLC

Reaction score
BFG makes great tires and BFG is REALLY proud of their tires, look at the Price!

system 3 tires are fairly new so prices are low.....

I would look at the tire weights and price and let that guide you and get a good spare! And a plug kit and a pump!

These inflators work great
7165B5D1-D1CC-4062-8963-49CDA48A62E7.jpeg
BD73C482-8725-4E70-9708-2CD46C8929C2.png