WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

T-400 excessive rotation in Neutral

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
What would cause a T400 with manual reverse shift kit to have so much rotation in neutral that a screw driver placed in u-joint would break?
No park, I wish it did so i could warm it up at the dock.

BamBam

Reaction score
Wow!!! That had to scare the crap out of you, thinking it would hold and then it broke. I would guess there is some bleed through in the valve body. Is the shifter on the trans case definitely set in neutral without a bind from the shifter or cable? Also remember that without a torque converter the input shaft is turning at engine RPM all the time. I left Park in mine for this reason and to make prop removal and install easier. Can you put Park back? If I fire my boat up in neutral it will creep forward in the water. I like the ability to fire it on the trailer in Park as well knowing I'm not going to cook my strut bearings.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
My 2 speed will propel me along at 3 mph. I forward I do 7

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I will try it again tomorrow, and make sure it is in neutral.
With no park, would the park position be any different than neutral?
I was going to put park in this tranny ,but I didn't do it.
I bought it used, so so anything could be the problem.

BamBam

Reaction score
I will try it again tomorrow, and make sure it is in neutral.
With no park, would the park position be any different than neutral?
I was going to put park in this tranny ,but I didn't do it.
I bought it used, so so anything could be the problem.

I guess it depends how park was removed. If it was locked out internally then the last position of the shift lever would be reverse not park. How many "clicks" or "detents" do you have when you move the shift lever on the trans? If there are 6 detents (assuming it's still a 3 speed) P-R-N-1-2-3 and there is no park then I would assume detent #1 and #3 are both neutral.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
6, p-r-n-1-2-3 ,
I'll have to try it again tomorrow and make sure it is in park or Neutral.
Would park and neutral be the same , now that park has been removed?
i think i might remove the t400 and put a park in it.
If I cant warm it up at the dock, not good, It will rip the cleats off the dock, LOL

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
Check your linkage adjustment. I just put park back in my neighbors 400, not a big deal other than pulling trans out.

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
A lot of guys don’t like park cause if u put it in park while it’s running it’s going to skip the teeth on the drum and possibly do damage to the locking latch!!! Also u don’t want to put it in park by accident while at speed???

Marine automatics will drag in neutral the problem is there’s no converter like stated earlier!! The input shaft is always turning!!
A way to try and help that is when building the trans most shops run a smooth clutch fiber like red alto thinking there putting a HD material to carry the load, they are problem is when in neutral there are no clutch packs applied but the smooth surface of the steels and fibers with trans fluid in the mix they stay stuck together a way to try and fix that is to run what trans guys call waffle cut fibers. Which has cross cut grooves on the fibers and will allow them to break free from the steels!!

Now ur still gonna get some drag that’s jus life!! But it’s not as bad

I always warm up my boat on the trailer, backed in the water jus enough to pick up water and do all my prechecks on the trailer.

Or u could run a velvet drive??

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks billybob,
Would park and neutral be the same , now that park has been removed?
If this T400 doesn't pan out I might just go with Velvet Dr

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Yes park and neu both have no clutch packs applied only difference is I guess ur lock is missing from park mode

Some transmissions in park or neu will have 1 clutch pack applied.

400 doesn’t!!!!

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I must of had it in gear to bend that screw driver, I forgot it had a reverse pattern.
I took it out to the lake today, it idled fine at the dock.
i did think it was going to Rip the Cleats off the boat. LOL

BamBam

Reaction score
I'm glad you figured it out and didn't have to rebuild the unit.
What is your interpretation of a "reverse pattern"? Park and Neutral are in the same shifter position in a standard or reverse pattern.
The only change is from P-R-N-3-2-1 (standard) to P-R-N-1-2-3 (reverse) so that when you shift to third you hit the stop and cannot accidentally shift into neutral. It also makes docking easier as you can go from 1st to reverse really quickly. If your shifting as completely reversed at the driver seat, you need to flip either the shift arm on the trans or the shift arm at the driver seat.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Bam, the shifting is completely reversed at the driver seat, So I will have to flip the shift arm and it is P-R-N-1-2-3
Thanks, i'm in the middle of putting all the Upholstery and ordering carpet to finish this project.
This Campbell has a 69-70 Pontiac GTO Lemans Wood Grain Shifter Knob/Button PMD GM Woodgrain Automatic shifter
Thanks for the input
pullout.jpg
doghouse.jpg

Last edited:

BamBam

Reaction score
If you're going to use that shifter I think you will need to flip the whole shifter at the driver seat. I say that because the actual shift mechanism out of the GTO will have detents for Park as well as the other gears moving through the selection. You want reverse to be a pull backwards and you want third gear to be furthest forward. I'm not sure you will be able to make that happen, but hey give it a shot and see what happens.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I flipped the shift arm and it works great, it stops from 1st to neutral till I press the center button, then I can go into reverse.
It all works like i want it to.
thanks for the info