WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tag Axles!

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Talk to me about Tag axles!! pro's / Cons etc

My previous RV was a Fleetwood discovery, single rear axle, freightliner chassis. Previous to that I had a 34' gasser class A ford chassis. Going from the gasser to the pusher was a HUGE improvement in drivability and towing. I have heard going with a tag is another HUGE improvement in handling / towing... is this true?

I know some cons are increase in expenses on tires, and a little less storage.... looking for more feedback. Next rig will hopefully be a tag axle, 450 cummins side radiator or better, anywhere from a 2008-2017 range.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Just bought our first tag and drove it home from Atlanta a few days ago. It’s definitely noticeable, and I’ve heard even more so when towing. Storage loss, well there is a shit ton with a full basement which we won’t use all of anyway.

Always wanted one just for the cool factor alone :)

655F01F3-288E-4F38-966F-C9512755248C.jpeg

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Just bought our first tag and drove it home from Atlanta a few days ago. It’s definitely noticeable, and I’ve heard even more so when towing. Storage loss, well there is a shit ton with a full basement which we won’t use all of anyway.

Always wanted one just for the cool factor alone :)

View attachment 1017045

cool factor for sure!! nice rig! did you notice any decrease in cutting sharp turns / driveways etc? I know some have passive steering where one of the rear axles turns with the fronts, and some are just fixed axles etc.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
tag is the only way.... Not fighting wind, simi's don't make you swerve when you pass or they pass. Drive's straight as an arrow.

I drive my parents rig time to time, this one was a trip i did back from Louisiana for them and they flew back.....

You can dump the air out of the back bags to help with turns in tight places, they auto deflate as well for reverse. Once over a certain speed the bags auto refil.
The newer upper priced rigs have passive steering, this one does not. 45'overall

16DFC44F-F0AA-4DAB-AA7C-A0E4DF7942A5.jpeg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
cool factor for sure!! nice rig! did you notice any decrease in cutting sharp turns / driveways etc? I know some have passive steering where one of the rear axles turns with the fronts, and some are just fixed axles etc.
Didnt notice anything, I did dump the bags when making the tight turn into the garage, and it dumps automatically when in reverse. No matter how large or tag or not it still moves around in big winds, I ordered Safe T Plus for it and changing the front shocks to Koni's, makes a huge difference and the safe t plus really helps if you have a front blow out.

fmo24

Reaction score
Something else to think about is Newmar makes or made 40ft with tag axle if length is an issue. American coach has a 42 as well. Most others are 44-45

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Something else to think about is Newmar makes or made 40ft with tag axle if length is an issue. American coach has a 42 as well. Most others are 44-45
Ours is a 42 which doesnt make a difference for Glamis, but I have already run into some issues with it being too long for some RV parks. Since ours was new they have now gone to all 45's.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

yeah I'd like to be around 40-42' don't really need more than that.

I wonder if some parks will actually measure you... I know bolsa chica here in huntington beach says 40' max... but would they really be able to spot out a 42 footer?

fmo24

Reaction score
That’s always in the back of my mind. We are in a 40 now and have had to put it in some pretty tight spots. If we go 45 I may just lie and say 40 and deal with it lol. We stay at thousand trails parks so some older parks are tight

fmo24

Reaction score

I wonder if some parks will actually measure you... I know bolsa chica here in huntington beach says 40' max... but would they really be able to spot out a 42 footer?
I can’t imagine most places questioning you. The big issue would be depth of site. Ours is 40 but measures 42 tip to tail

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Ours is a Entegra Anthem, 450 hp, side radiator, checks all your boxes. It says its a 42, have not measured it yet and it fits easily in our 50 foot garage.

The big issue with us is the Spartan chassis, I had one on a Fleetwood Revolution years back, and after that I wont go back to a Freightliner, ride quality is night and day, and no straight axle up front, IFS instead.

One I would look for is a Fleetwood Revolution 42, its on a Spartan Chassis and built side by side with the American Tradtion really higher end line. Lots of them out there but we could not find a 42k which is a rear bath but it has a workstation. The Entegra we got has a full on desk. Also search nationwide, prices are closer to normal on the east coast, inflated yes, but not ridiculous like the west coast. Ours came from Atlanta, dealer provided $500 towards travel there and it took me three days to get home. Diesel across the country is in the high $2.00 range maybe a little over $3 worst case. I got it back for about $900 in fuel.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
FYI, my 2003 Foretravel U320 is a 38' with a tag axle. Pretty sure it's the shortest unit they built with a tag. Rides great, tows great. Just towed a 22' enclosed trailer back from Oregon last weekend...didn't even know it was there. 450hp Cummins, Allison 4000 with retarder, side radiator

fmo24

Reaction score
FYI, my 2003 Foretravel U320 is a 38' with a tag axle. Pretty sure it's the shortest unit they built with a tag. Rides great, tows great. Just towed a 22' enclosed trailer back from Oregon last weekend...didn't even know it was there. 450hp Cummins, Allison 4000 with retarder, side radiator
Was not aware that anyone one made a tag in 38. Opens a lot of options for peeps in Calif wanting to tow an enclosed trailer. The Allison 4000 is awesome. Most upgrades to motor are limited by the trans.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Ours is a Entegra Anthem, 450 hp, side radiator, checks all your boxes. It says its a 42, have not measured it yet and it fits easily in our 50 foot garage.

The big issue with us is the Spartan chassis, I had one on a Fleetwood Revolution years back, and after that I wont go back to a Freightliner, ride quality is night and day, and no straight axle up front, IFS instead.

One I would look for is a Fleetwood Revolution 42, its on a Spartan Chassis and built side by side with the American Tradtion really higher end line. Lots of them out there but we could not find a 42k which is a rear bath but it has a workstation. The Entegra we got has a full on desk. Also search nationwide, prices are closer to normal on the east coast, inflated yes, but not ridiculous like the west coast. Ours came from Atlanta, dealer provided $500 towards travel there and it took me three days to get home. Diesel across the country is in the high $2.00 range maybe a little over $3 worst case. I got it back for about $900 in fuel.

what year model is that coach? 10k or 15k hitch?

I am keeping an eye out for some older revolutions , 08 or 09’s, even non tag. If the right deal pops up with the right colors I’d go for it.

my discovery was on a freightliner chassis. Wasn’t the smoothest but wasn’t bad either. Much nice than the gasser. I guess I’ve never rode in any other pushers to know the difference.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Tag axle gets you more load capacity, especially tow rating. I ended up with a new 40 ft Dutch Star as the shortest DP I liked that could tow 15k.
7000 miles on it so far this year. Heading out on a 10,000 mile trip next week, starting out with towing stacker with tunnel hull to the lower Keys.
Drives and tows great but wish it had more power. Its on a Spartan K2-450. Spartan and Freightliner don't offer the 605 on less than a 45ft chassis.
BTW, I looked at the 500hp 41ft Mountian Aire but it can only tow 7500. Seems the heavier engine on the shorter chassis uses up too much available capacity.

squeezer

Reaction score

I’m a serious buyer if you are looking for an upgrade...

(Never should have sold our 36’ U320)

STV_Keith

Reaction score
I’m a serious buyer if you are looking for an upgrade...
(Never should have sold our 36’ U320)
Thanks, but just picked this up a few months ago. Just about got it where I want it and hope to get at least a year or three out of it, depending on how much we like it. So far it's great! Good luck on the hunt. Get on the foreforums.com and the FB groups if you're looking, as well as watch Motorhomes of Texas for used units.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Tag axle gets you more load capacity, especially tow rating. I ended up with a new 40 ft Dutch Star as the shortest DP I liked that could tow 15k.
7000 miles on it so far this year. Heading out on a 10,000 mile trip next week, starting out with towing stacker with tunnel hull to the lower Keys.
Drives and tows great but wish it had more power. Its on a Spartan K2-450. Spartan and Freightliner don't offer the 605 on less than a 45ft chassis.
BTW, I looked at the 500hp 41ft Mountian Aire but it can only tow 7500. Seems the heavier engine on the shorter chassis uses up too much available capacity.
Thanks for the feedback. I never knew the mountain aire towing cap was only 7500. That’s weird!

Im eyeballing a couple older newmar Essex’s and like em, they come with the 500.... but I’m trying to avoid going 45’. Would like to be around 40-42

Last edited:

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
My Dad has a 38ft tag axle Monaco Dynasty that is really nice to drive. To me the tags are worth it

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We were nervous about it when we got our coach. It steered us away from many potential purchases. But now that we have it, Jeff seems very pleased with it. He says that it handles the wind better and is pretty easy to drive (as easy as GIANT vehicles can be, I guess). We have a 2008 Revolution LE 42K. The dual bath is another feature we didn't know we needed until we got it. The reason we purchased it was for the desk and the towing capacity.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We were nervous about it when we got our coach. It steered us away from many potential purchases. But now that we have it, Jeff seems very pleased with it. He says that it handles the wind better and is pretty easy to drive (as easy as GIANT vehicles can be, I guess). We have a 2008 Revolution LE 42K. The dual bath is another feature we didn't know we needed until we got it. The reason we purchased it was for the desk and the towing capacity.
I looked for a long time for a 42k, great rig and I’ll only have a Spartan chassis after our 40e. I wanted something with a desk, rear bath, Spartan chassis and tag. The Entegra anthem checked all this boxes for us, I have a complete office set up in it, desk, full size Mac, printer scanner etc. Revolutions are great coaches.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

At Bolsa Chica they would know if your over 40’ as you would be sticking out into the street, lol. The sites there are right @ 40’ long. No wiggle room 👀

EmpirE231

Reaction score
At Bolsa Chica they would know if your over 40’ as you would be sticking out into the street, lol. The sites there are right @ 40’ long. No wiggle room 👀

my 39’ and change rig fit in there, with the wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee parked in front of it several times with no issues. Just gotta let the rear overhang tuck over the small curb they have. I just wonder if they see an extra axle back there, if they bust out the tape measure lol.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
At Bolsa Chica they would know if your over 40’ as you would be sticking out into the street, lol. The sites there are right @ 40’ long. No wiggle room [emoji102]
I was there about a month ago and a dude with a 42 ft 5th wheel was in there but he was right at the line

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
They are little eccentric these days, but BlueBird made a 38 pusher with a tag axle. No slide outs or other modern must haves, but built like a tank.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I was there about a month ago and a dude with a 42 ft 5th wheel was in there but he was right at the line

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah the length kinda varies by how much you can hang over in the back based on where yore axles are located. My 40’ Raptor was right on the line when we camped there.