WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tailstock for Victor 1640 Engine Lathe

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I recently acquired a used Victor 1640 Engine Lathe and a Used Mill. I feel very blessed in how I obtained them both. They appear to be in very good shape. The Lathe came with a quick change 6 position rotating turret. I can't seem to find what type of adapter I need for the turret tooling. I have been told it may be easier to try and find a used factory tailstock and replace the rotating turret.
Any ideas of where to look?
Mill and Lathe.jpg
Turret.jpg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Call someone that imports/sells victor lathes and see if they can order a tailstock. Get some good way measurements and way deck to spindle center.

That turret is somewhat useless for general purpose use.

In the absolute worst case scenario you can use the way baseplate from that turret and adapt a shorter tailstock to it. This will require some pretty involved measuring and machining, but it's not impossible if you are the type to take on a project like that.

Are the turret bores concentric with the headstock?

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Call someone that imports/sells victor lathes and see if they can order a tailstock. Get some good way measurements and way deck to spindle center.

That turret is somewhat useless for general purpose use.

In the absolute worst case scenario you can use the way baseplate from that turret and adapt a shorter tailstock to it. This will require some pretty involved measuring and machining, but it's not impossible if you are the type to take on a project like that.

Are the turret bores concentric with the headstock?
Yes the turret bores are concentric with the headstock. Problem I am having is finding some adapters to fit the turret as the bores are 1.000 inch Straight bores with Wedge bolts to hold the tool. If i could find a 1.0" Straight O.D. tool adapter to Morse taper or Jacobs taper or something more common then I could use the Drill Chuck that I already have with a J2 Spindle and an adjustable boring bar that I have. It would be useable if I could just find some adapters. I know just enough about this shit to me dangerous. LOL
I was hoping that RD or some of the other machining brain trust here would chime in with some ideas. I'm in Phoenix and amazed at the lack of tooling supply houses that are here.
Someone has some experience with this thing but I can't find anything on the internet at all about the turret.
Unique Model 400 Bed Turret tailstock assy.jpg
Unique Model 400 Bed Turret tailstock.jpg

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score

arch stanton

Reaction score
Try Todd at North County tool and abrasives he has lots of used stuff for sale 760 743 2004
he is in San Marcos CA

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Try Todd at North County tool and abrasives he has lots of used stuff for sale 760 743 2004
he is in San Marcos CA
Thanks for the tip. I will call him tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dana757

Reaction score
I think you have a decimal point off. 0.996 maybe? Import machines are usually metric. I have one that takes 1” and another that takes 25mm.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I think you have a decimal point off. 0.996 maybe? Import machines are usually metric. I have one that takes 1” and another that takes 25mm.
Yup. Lol
You were right. I fixed my post. And my calipers were off by .004 too. :D
The bores are 1.000 inch.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Huuuge thanks to Toolman.
He is a wealth of knowledge and very helpful.
Thanks Daryl.