WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales Of A Mercenary Mechanic

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's funny. :)

This was the late 70's for me. I had that Mustang through high school, and a for a few years after. I caught the end of the cruising scene...

High School was awesome. The parking lot was full of cars that would be worth a small fortune today! All killer 60's cars that kids dads had helped em build. Man I wish I had pics. Good times.
That's what is funny. The cars of your days in high school, were just cars...but by todays lens, really cool stuff. Even for me, I think about the 65 or 66 Mustangs I...tastefully butchered, and kick myself. Then I see the pricetags on Fox bodies, or even 240Z's:eek: we scraped out those 6's for small blocks...just a cheap hot rod...but the wheels kept turning;)

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That's what is funny. The cars of your days in high school, were just cars...but by todays lens, really cool stuff. Even for me, I think about the 65 or 66 Mustangs I...tastefully butchered, and kick myself. Then I see the pricetags on Fox bodies, or even 240Z's:eek: we scraped out those 6's for small blocks...just a cheap hot rod...but the wheels kept turning;)

My first car! No money on earth could get me to part with it. It's in considerable better shape these days than it was in hs
20180622_205543-1.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My first car! No money on earth could get me to part with it. It's in considerable better shape these days than it was in hs View attachment 834025
I've toyed with the idea of getting a shell and title, and going to town. Between the available powerplants, technology and just the stuff I have learned in the 25 years of screwing with stuff, it could be a whole new ballgame.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Shes on her 3rd engine. Nothing too crazy, a little over 400 ponies at the crank on an N/A Windsor 5.0

Heres what's left of the numbers matching engine. It's a desk ornament now
20180119_161923.jpg

Edit: please do not put an LS in it or any chevy/mopar for that matter! I'm going to build a Windsor Corvette just for those fuckholes

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Shes on her 3rd engine. Nothing too crazy, a little over 400 ponies at the crank on an N/A Windsor 5.0

Heres what's left of the numbers matching engine. It's a desk ornament now View attachment 834029

Edit: please do not put an LS in it or any chevy/mopar for that matter! I'm going to build a Windsor Corvette just for those fuckholes
Shh, don't tell anyone...
Really been thinking AWD and Coyote...basically build a skate. I always tried to stiffen up the uniblob "chassis" anyway. After seeing the "Hoonicorn", I realized I wasn't the only sick f#&k:p

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score

One weekend in 1978 my Mopar mentor and I drove from Riverside to Santa Fe Springs Pick A Part. That was the closest one back then. We scored disc brakes, a Dana 60, and a factory aluminum 3x2 intake with carbs, lines and even the air cleaner. Another time I bought a complete running 69 Road Runner from a guy who wanted to sell it to Pick A Part but didn't have paperwork. They would have given him only $150 for it. So I did instead. Drove that mo fo home. He was moving and had to leave/sell it.
Muscle cars were so disposable in the mid 70's.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Some days require mechanical knowledge. Some days require just getting dirty. Then there are stupid projects that require...arts and crafts time. New voltage regulator on the firewall is kind if like a diamond on a goats ass. Shiny, but doesn't belong there. View attachment 839762 Blue cover has to go, and so does that chinesium gold. View attachment 839764 Mild acid mixture for chinesium removal...and tap out the holes for the old screws. View attachment 839765 Good as old, but better. It's more "rustoration" than restoration at times. Starting the wiring, so needed to get this ready

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, a few weeks ago did the body swap on a van chassis. Well, that left a pretty nice van chassis naked. The guy I do work for bought the thing...it was supposed to be a donor for his 62 GMC. Well, low and behold, a pretty nice plumber truck popped up for sale...missing drivetrain. So, a lightbulb flickered like neon dollar signs.
2020-02-04 21.13.00.jpg

His son shot some paint on it, I pulled it, and got the frame bobbed and ready on the other newer chassis. Tomorrow will suck, but it should look good.

Really weird...haven't done a bed swap in a long time. Two service beds so far this year.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, for the people that didn't understand why I had to bob (shorten) the frame, here it is. The factory cab and chassis is about 20 inches too long, and gets notched in the back for the step bumper to sit on. So, the rearmost crossmember has to be relocated, and then the frame gets cut.
2020-02-06 23.39.48.jpg

I'm sure the guys that do this stuff all the time can mate the box easily. Not my cup of tea. In the above pic, the floorjack is under the pumpkin. Moving the handle left to right swings the back end an inch or so. The front was a bit more difficult...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Damit' ...forgot to submit the pics...its late:rolleyes:
2020-02-06 23.40.21.jpg

This is my work around for the front. Getting this much weight within a 1/16th of an inch will make you cuss. At the end of the day Wednesday, it looked done. Today I welded the bumper mounts and worked on the interior stuff. I think the owner's son is doing the electrical.
2020-02-06 23.41.18.jpg

Hopefully getting back to 88 year old junk this weekend...normal stuff;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don’t know how much these guys are paying you.. but it’s not enough!

crazy talented
Thank you. I'm a cheap whore...My hourly is the same, if I'm at my place, or at another using their gear. For them, it's both good and bad. I am the same price, be it sweeping or welding. A sliding scale does come into play if I need to pack gear and head out to a ranch or fire road somewhere.

My overhead is low, and I make my own hours. I'm not stacking away big money, but not getting skinny either.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, atomic marshmallow box van is out of my hair for now:) Tonight, hit the 32 again. Wiring front to dash is done, and tail to dash. Going to be playing twister next week to do all the under dash terminations. I re-plumbed the brakelines. The old ones were done well...but in copper, with a compression "T" up front:eek: All for traditional, but want it safe(r). Front end is done for now, will need final adjustment on brakes. Tomorrow I think the rear brakes are on the list. Tapered axles and wedge mated hubs...fun:rolleyes:
2020-02-08 00.03.35.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Axles kicked my ass! Broke a puller, boogered up some threads on the axle...all kinds of fun. Early Ford axles, pre-48 car, are tapered with a key. They get stuck good. Cleaned up and straightened backing plate and hardware, new shoes and wheel cylinders...and made sure the keyways weren't damaged. Going back together, bleed brakes tomorrow.
2020-02-09 01.26.17.jpg
2020-02-09 01.26.49.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Well, not everything is a steaming pile... View attachment 829755 View attachment 829756
...well, not in appearance. Guy gets car, doesn't idle for crap. Takes it to a shop here in town. They sell him on a new carb. The motor is a "383"...ok, maybe. Either way, they bolt on a new 750 double pumper! They got it to idle...better? It comes to me. I pull the air cleaner and chuckle. The mixture screws are burried, closed tight. Bowels have never been off, jets are jets I guess. So, I tell the guy that I may be able to jet it down, but the carb is just a bit much for the motor and altitude. He proceeds to tell me the carb is new and fine for this motor, it must be a vacuum leak is what the other shop said.

I politely told him he'd better have the other shop find the "vacuum leak"...he did not respond well to the explanation of how mixture screws work. I wasn't going to get into cfm and fuel requirements... One hour diag.. have a nice day:rolleyes:

Rallysport Z's are super rare. Sad to see one so hacked up....:(

The moment when you are talking to him is when you need to shut them down and straight up own their ass....if they know what the problem is why the fuck are they here?

I am never polite to idiots and blowhards. I run them over roughshod, so I can see what I have to work with. You either trust me, or get the fuck out of my shop.

I schedule out weeks in advance, I have no time for dipshits.

Last edited:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Instead of beating on the axle, Have you tried the air chisel?
Dig the old school shoe holders.
I've never worked on that era vehicles other than driving them.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Instead of beating on the axle, Have you tried the air chisel?
Dig the old school shoe holders.
I've never worked on that era vehicles other than driving them.
What ended up doing it...after various other ways...was a single jack (4lb short sledge), against the nut backed out on the axle...while opposite side jacked up to hold tire in place. I try not to do it that way, can really mess up the axle and threads. These were stuck good though.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There were supposed to be updates and cool pictures. I got the 32 pickup dialed in and running pretty decent. Carb and ignition timing set good, radiator leaks taken care of and such... Really, just need to bleed the brakes and drive it. If that's all good, slap the hood back on it and ship it.
Best laid plans...
Shut it off last night, and heard my dogs barking...fighting. I tried to break them up. I got pretty beat up. Down to one good hand, and a lot of bandages. Also some new expenses. Was hoping to take it back this weekend...we'll see now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well hell...between me and the pups, med bills are going to suck. There are guys here where money is no issue. There are those that will act like money is no issue...Well, money is an issue. Wife says not to worry. F' that. If I were wealthy I'd be sporting a baller boat, not a jet :p

So, here's the update pic. Going to try and get the hood on before I take my girl to class, and go to the doc for my wound check. At least that way if I spring a leak it will get patched by pros;)
2020-02-18 10.34.55.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
2020-02-18 10.35.51.jpg

Hood went back on with limited profanity. No way in hell I could have done it with a "pretty" car. The paint is optional on this one, so a scuff won't matter. Dr appointment went good...healing well, don't use my left hand. Well, I won't use it much. Started making some floorboards this afternoon. Finish them, bleed brakes, drive, adjust brakes and load up. Somewhere in there call owner, give him a minor coronary, and arrange delivery and....
PAYMENT :p
Gotta be tough working with one hand and in pain..
...no rest for the wicked;)
When I lost my finger, it was a Friday. Was back working Monday. Sitting doing nothing gives you too much time to think about it. Alternative focus...or maybe denial. Same hand/arm has been through the ringer. Nerve damage from a wreck, wedding band took the finger and now dog chew toy. Life's a lot of things, but mine isn't boring!

lenmann

Reaction score
Damn dude, you're a stud. Endeavor to persevere...

I love this thread cause you're doing great work on cool stuff, hang in there and give yourself time to heal up right.

I got no guidance on the pup deal, but I really worry about kids around that stuff.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Stupid and stubborn maybe, not a stud. This thread is just an ongoing deal of weird stuff most people either have never worked on, or not worked on in a long time. As long as I can finish this ride this week, I'll take next week and be a bum. I just know there is a payday real close, and I could use one pretty soon.
The pup and kid deal is what it is. I never worried about it before with my dogs and kids. Life is a fluid situation though.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Lots of wood in cars back in the day. Check out any GM car pre 1937.
Those are evil! Did a 36 Chev coupe for a guy, replaced all wood with steel. Squaring it up was tough, but it won't sag again...

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
The door jambs and the door frames in the ('59) Pete are wood (oak?) As well as the floor boards.

Dan'l

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The door jambs and the door frames in the ('59) Pete are wood (oak?) As well as the floor boards.

Dan'l
I've heard oak, ash and poplar on old Fords. By the time I see it, usually termite dirt. The wood kits I've seen were oak mostly. I'm no carpenter, I usually fit stuff with help of a flapper wheel and a belt sander.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Was fighting some stupid issues, so it's ready to drive in morning. One handed sucks. Slows a lot of little stuff down. Old ox blood and white seats are back in, where they were since the 50's...so the interior is done too!
2020-02-19 23.24.02.jpg

2020-02-19 23.23.13.jpg

I'm going to hose off now, change some bandages and go to bed. Hopefully tomorrow's pics will be in the yard. Be interesting to see what she looks like in the sun.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ass kicker...did the once over checking nuts, bolts and cotter pins. Drove her around the property, do another once over this afternoon and put some road miles...2 or 3...windshield sucks. Need to loosen up two brakes, and plug a vacuum leak...pretty good.
2020-02-20 10.56.43.jpg

2020-02-20 10.58.00.jpg

Nordie

Reaction score
I love this thread, it's just grass roots.

I do have a serious question however. You speak of lopping off your ring finger because you were wearing your ring. How did it happen? I'm in a pretty rough construction trade where I tell my guys that they probably shouldn't be wearing their rings.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I love this thread, it's just grass roots.

I do have a serious question however. You speak of lopping off your ring finger because you were wearing your ring. How did it happen? I'm in a pretty rough construction trade where I tell my guys that they probably shouldn't be wearing their rings.
Well...first off, I've never been much for wearing gloves. That may have helped. I had just hopped the gates on a big stake bed truck, toes on the lip, hands on the gate, facing in. I pushed off, and kicked out, like I'd done a million times. This time, my ring caught the metal vertical, and cocked on my finger, catching the knuckle. Hit the ground, pinched off my nub and went, "oh shit..."
Ring, with finger, was still on the truck. Should have seen the look on the face of the guy I asked to go and get it🤢

buck35

Reaction score
Back in the eighties I got a bit of molten metal down my glove and while swiping it off my hand a ring got caught and peeled my finger open . never wore one again . Been with the same gal and married for quite a while and she gets it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
One of the worst ring related injuries I saw was a car battery deal. 12v of hotdog cooking. My buddy was pulling his battery cable on a 56 F100. Did positive side first. Wrench hit ring, ring hit floorboard. Gold's a great conductor...he grabbed his ring with the other hand and yanked. I think the term was de-gloving? 🤮

At least mine healed up quick. He ended up with pretty good use, but a few surgeries and almost a year. My ring stays on a stainless chain around my neck now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, finally rolled out of my gate at 8:15 Friday night. Turned out, wheel cylinder itself was sucking air.
Rolled into the Glendora area about 2am local time...that's 3am for me. Spent the day with the owner and car people. He was happy with how it turned out, and the fact the motor runs like a swiss watch. At first he was kind of taken aback by the time into the thing, with no motor or transmission swaps. After seeing the 5 pages of what was done to keep it "old" he was good with it. He must have been...I got paid, and he sent me back with another car.
2020-02-24 07.57.27.jpg

...a damn late model :p
Makes you a bit nervous when the guy says, "Be careful with my baby"...and you know how many cars he has. This one should be relatively easy. Just some motor work. She blew a head gasket, and the studs are stuck. That, and corrosion keeping the head from coming off. I'll get more pics when she's in the garage.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Told my wife before we got married I won't wear a ring. I don't wear jewelry. ( Except a gold 2 blade prop I had made back in the day ). Explained why, she's good with it. She said the women will be hitting on me .
I told if I wanted to get hit on I WOULD wear a wedding ring. She said you're probably right.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, here she is out of the trailer. 1940 Deluxe Coupe...Opera Coupe, to be precise. Original paint, though worn, but no faux-tina. Real deal. She blew a headgasket, and the studs are oxidized into the heads. The owner's son couldn't get the studs out, nor remove the head. This was taken just as I unloaded her...shop still looked like a bomb went off. Cleaned up now.
2020-02-25 23.31.16.jpg

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Cool thread indeed. Looking forward to the pix and stories on the 1940 Deluxe Opera Coupe.

Wedding ring stories. When I was 16, I worked at this restaurant called Garcia's of Scottsdale in Bellevue WA. A Guy was working a fryer dropped his band into the fryer and with quick precision reached in to try and retrieve it. Nothing like 400 deg oil to make a sudden change of heart. LOL.
Back to the cool stuff. :cool: 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Nothing quite like popping off the head, and seeing .145 over pistons. Have to love old flatties...off the shelf big bore kits back in the day.
2020-02-25 23.32.04.jpg