WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales Of A Mercenary Mechanic

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
In no hurry! I don’t even know where I’d put it at this point.. plus I gotta save up some money for paint interior and new biminis..
Maybe we should look into a folding windshield & bimini...how big a basement storage does the pusher have 🤔
Maybe dry sump it, and hang it on the back?

Be a sweet ride around the KOA!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe we should look into a folding windshield & bimini...how big a basement storage does the pusher have 🤔
Maybe dry sump it, and hang it on the back?

Be a sweet ride around the KOA!

i was originally thinking fun real estate vehicle.. now I’m thinking bar hopper on main st.. or possible Mexico resort vehicle if we get that place down there

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Busy week for a holiday week. About 10 years ago water got into the trans of my neighbor's ton and a half chevy. It froze. So, I got to do a transmission with pto, carb and fuel pump...and also bleed the giant drum brakes. Probably be seeing more of this one. He wants me to fit the metal and reassemble some stuff. View attachment 830800
Old 6 runs like a sewing machine;)
I found one of these out behind a old house but can’t find out who the owner is ?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I've gone so far as county plot maps, tax records and such...just like seeing who owns a property. If the house has movement, leave letters on the gate. If it's empty, it takes time.
I was going to go to power company next time home 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@monkeywrench Any update to this thread?
Actually, yes. The past couple months I have been really living up to the title "mercenary". Some of the local shops are busy, real busy. So, me being a mechanical whore, I've been busy. I have been almost fulltime at other places. Not really what I want, but I figure I'm able to put some money away. Call me paranoid, but I'm a bit worried that some of the work will dry up. Right now, up here at least, a lot of stimulus money is going into car repair and equipment maintenance.

Here's some pics of one of the nicer things I worked on lately...trans locked up in gear. Was missing what they call an interock pin. It keeps you from shift into 2 gears. Then, it needed rear brakes, and the guy said ok...and brought over a big box...with a disc kit!
2021-03-07 08.00.18.jpg
2021-03-07 07.58.27.jpg

Had to make this little F'r, none on the west coast...
2021-03-07 07.56.53.jpg

It's tool steel, and goes in the middle of this
2021-03-07 07.57.37.jpg

Which requires doing this...
2021-03-07 07.56.05.jpg

For the most part though, my days have been working on really boring and mundane stuff...and being a parental shuttle service...things like tracking down voltage draws in normal family cars. This is a remote starter deal, with bad internals. The voltage "leak" causes a rise in temp. Not too hard to find when ambiet temps are in the 40s.
2021-03-07 08.11.15.jpg

This is an insulation blowing contraption. Runs probably 12 hours a day, and never maintained. When it breaks, it needs to be fixed yesterday. This is one of those that I think will be parked soon...money making options will start to lessen in the not so distant future.
2021-03-07 08.11.59.jpg

It got some chains and sprockets replaced, along with some pillow blocks.

The Monkey Mover has done pissed me off. The choke mechanism I replaced still binds quite a bit, and the air intake hose is a weird size. I think I am going to reconfigure the choke setup, so it is smoother. Haven't quite figured out how yet...

There's more stuff, but that's what I have on my phone for now!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Well this might get you back on track... I wonder how much money I would end up with in this thing... remove the rear door handles ...weld the rear doors shut ...drop the back of the roof down so it is level with the body... bag it... The bed does need some re-designing ...a tailgate that it’s aesthetically pleasing with Buick stamped in it... 401 nail head...w/ single C series AFB...AC... 12v and total rewire..:rack and pinion PS...Front discs...whatever the trick automatic overdrive is in this day and age... Ford 9 inch...8” wide15 inch wheels recesed some with dog dish Buick hubcaps and beauty rings...
...Stock looking dash... tasteful interior...
... oh yeah and then there’s the camper shell...Should be able to fit right in with the Nomadland people👍...
85FDE6FC-A375-4C33-AB7D-AC8ED8986A15.jpeg
ACABF81D-0AF5-45AE-9662-E76E719F32FC.jpeg
301831A9-D4D0-4AD8-BDED-3A88E52D33F9.jpeg

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...Well this might get you back on track... I wonder how much money I would end up with in this thing... remove the rear door handles ...weld the rear doors shut ...drop the back of the roof down so it is level with the body... bag it... The bed does need some re-designing ...a tailgate that it’s aesthetically pleasing with Buick stamped in it... 401 nail head...w/ single C series AFB...AC... 12v and total rewire..:rack and pinion PS...Front discs...whatever the trick automatic overdrive is in this day and age... Ford 9 inch...8” wide15 inch wheels recesed some with dog dish Buick hubcaps and beauty rings...
...Stock looking dash... tasteful interior...
... oh yeah and then there’s the camper shell...Should be able to fit right in with the Nomadland people👍...
View attachment 979818 View attachment 979819 View attachment 979820
Being the type that draws a lot, I'd draw it as it sits, then trace out the parts to keep, and draw new line for what you'd want the profile to be. With the "new" body lines, compare the curves and such with trunks, hoods and roofs off other cars in the wrecking yards. I think I would bring the bed rail more parallel the fenders, and a radius tailgate like a Nomad.

That said, body mods and paint can bring a rich man to his knees. The reason why my stuff usually gets left alone, or spray bombed.

Here's something I'm probably picking up. Boat tail Riviera. It's nosed, decked and shaved, sitting on bags. It ran 2 years ago. Going to have to build me a low rider!
2021-03-07 19.07.22.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Actually, yes. The past couple months I have been really living up to the title "mercenary". Some of the local shops are busy, real busy. So, me being a mechanical whore, I've been busy. I have been almost fulltime at other places. Not really what I want, but I figure I'm able to put some money away. Call me paranoid, but I'm a bit worried that some of the work will dry up. Right now, up here at least, a lot of stimulus money is going into car repair and equipment maintenance.

Here's some pics of one of the nicer things I worked on lately...trans locked up in gear. Was missing what they call an interock pin. It keeps you from shift into 2 gears. Then, it needed rear brakes, and the guy said ok...and brought over a big box...with a disc kit! View attachment 979638 View attachment 979639
Had to make this little F'r, none on the west coast... View attachment 979640
It's tool steel, and goes in the middle of this View attachment 979641
Which requires doing this... View attachment 979642

For the most part though, my days have been working on really boring and mundane stuff...and being a parental shuttle service...things like tracking down voltage draws in normal family cars. This is a remote starter deal, with bad internals. The voltage "leak" causes a rise in temp. Not too hard to find when ambiet temps are in the 40s. View attachment 979658
This is an insulation blowing contraption. Runs probably 12 hours a day, and never maintained. When it breaks, it needs to be fixed yesterday. This is one of those that I think will be parked soon...money making options will start to lessen in the not so distant future. View attachment 979659

The Monkey Mover has done pissed me off. The choke mechanism I replaced still binds quite a bit, and the air intake hose is a weird size. I think I am going to reconfigure the choke setup, so it is smoother. Haven't quite figured out how yet...

Wanna do a 5MR1 transmission next?? I'm pretty sure I just killed my Rangers tranny today. Its making lots of rattly noises and no longer likes going into gear, at least when you tell it to. And then it was occasionally lurching forward with the stick in neutral! Haha

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wanna do a 5MR1 transmission next?? I'm pretty sure I just killed my Rangers tranny today. Its making lots of rattly noises and no longer likes going into gear, at least when you tell it to. And then it was occasionally lurching forward with the stick in neutral! Haha
I stick to T5's and the top loader family...the stuff I've broken the most ;) Dabbled in C4's and 6's with some regularity as well!
Luckily, you have the old ford as a run around🤔

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Dude that riviera is bitchen. being that I prowl the quad cities in customer homes hooking up power where did you find that?

Two is there anything you are absolutely needing/wanting. I can talk to customers or keepan eye out for you.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I stick to T5's and the top loader family...the stuff I've broken the most ;) Dabbled in C4's and 6's with some regularity as well!

I wish. I didn't get to finish the wiring today as I was occupied with the Ranger. I tried bleeding the slave and replacing the shift bushings before throwing in the towel but I kinda knew in the back of my mind what was up. I was just throwing a hail mary. I just had the damn thing off for a clutch too is the real kick in the pants.

I found a reman company out of MN that's sells them for $600 with a $250 core. Im thinking about eating the core just to fiddle with it and potentially have a spare. It feels like I might have just lost a bearing on one of the main shafts🤷

Back to driving the 2story tall Excursion for the time being😁

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dude that riviera is bitchen. being that I prowl the quad cities in customer homes hooking up power where did you find that?

Two is there anything you are absolutely needing/wanting. I can talk to customers or keepan eye out for you.
The Rivi was in the lot behind mine. The owner passed away 6 months ago. He was more of a hermit than me, Nam vet, and, it would seem, a Hell's Angel from times past. His daughter was out a couple weeks ago, so I introduced myself. We keep an eye on the neighboring properties, so a new person at an empty pad got checked on quick. She appreciated that. I asked about the Rivi, and worked out a deal.

As for stuff I look for...I really don't actively look much. Stuff comes my way at random, and sometimes I have enough coins in my pocket to get it. 30s and 40s Fords are my thing, but it's because those are what I know real well.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Nice I will see what I can spy with my little eye.

I'm not a huge riviera fan but damn that one is cool. I keep thinking about training day when I see that picture for some reason.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Since were off into it aint stock no more cars ...here’s one that belongs to my friend Jack Weimer the upholstery guy from full custom garage... riviera boat tail grafted to a Studebaker ...
...also had quite a few more thoughts on the Buick pick up but too late to get into it now...

E056D2CA-95DC-4468-98DE-0376BD21900A.jpeg
0406255C-6251-4B35-85DF-E13EFB1A8B9E.jpeg
513078A7-2168-40E1-ACC7-99DF87898FEA.jpeg

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

Here's some pics of one of the nicer things I worked on lately...trans locked up in gear. Was missing what they call an interock pin. It keeps you from shift into 2 gears. Then, it needed rear brakes, and the guy said ok...and brought over a big box...with a disc kit! View attachment 979638 View attachment 979639
Had to make this little F'r, none on the west coast... View attachment 979640
It's tool steel, and goes in the middle of this View attachment 979641
Which requires doing this... View attachment 979642

For the most part though, my days have been working on really boring and mundane stuff...and being a parental shuttle service...things like tracking down voltage draws in normal family cars. This is a remote starter deal, with bad internals. The voltage "leak" causes a rise in temp. Not too hard to find when ambiet temps are in the 40s. View attachment 979658
This is an insulation blowing contraption. Runs probably 12 hours a day, and never maintained. When it breaks, it needs to be fixed yesterday. This is one of those that I think will be parked soon...money making options will start to lessen in the not so distant future. View attachment 979659

Thanks for the update. One of the more interesting threads I read.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
When I owned my 5.0GT, we used to tow the boat with it, and spared no horsepower whilst towing. That resulted in ripping the trailing link from where it was welded to the frame on the right side. See image below.

It also meant that I went through transmissions (T5) often enough that I bought a Roush racing trans as a replacement for the first one that failed (@~30k mi., the factory original) and then rebuilt that one with Roush parts and kept them in rotation. The succession of failures were snapped gear teeth to bearing failures and -obviously- synchros - though the synchros were from speed shifting in general, not from towing in particular.

quads.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When I owned my 5.0GT, we used to tow the boat with it, and spared no horsepower whilst towing. That resulted in ripping the trailing link from where it was welded to the frame on the right side. See image below.

It also meant that I went through transmissions (T5) often enough that I bought a Roush racing trans as a replacement for the first one that failed (@~30k mi., the factory original) and then rebuilt that one with Roush parts and kept them in rotation. The succession of failures were snapped gear teeth to bearing failures and -obviously- synchros - though the synchros were from speed shifting in general, not from towing in particular.

View attachment 979910
In the pic, I think those are the "quad shocks". I always pulled them off for slightly wider tires. The upper link bars were a weak point though. Never thought about the added stresses from towing though. After lots of experimentation, I got my 5.0 to launch pretty good. Wasn't long after I heard a clicking sound. Soon after, the car want to kind of twist on acceleration. Laying under the car, saw the upper link mount on the passenger side had near completely torn out of the floor. Hammered it back into place, welded it and made a plate to back the repair. This was in the 90s, and if there were cool aftermarket fixes, I couldn't afford them anyway.

With the T5's, my problem was 2nd and 3rd gears. Usually the synchos were good, but I'd loose a tooth, and it would find itself a new home. Pretty good trans, and light to throw on the workbench.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Our experience is exactly the same. I did not see the upper link in the suspension image I could find on the web, so I just used what I could find. The first time I swapped out the T5, it took a whole day. By the third or fourth time, I had it down to about an hour...had all the tools I needed, knew exactly what to remove and how to get at it.

Just like you, I had the piece rewelded and added a stouter plate to back it up.

I loved that car...a GT droptop, black, I bought new from Hauter Ford in Montrose...it was stolen from the parking lot at the Arcadia "Claim Jumper" restaurant on my 37th birthday.

It was a rainy night in February, so after dinner I went out to the parking lot to fetch the car. All that was in the parking spot was a small pile of window glass. I grabbed the piece that had the 'buckle up for safety' sticker on it and went back in to let my family know the car was gone. They didn't believe me since I am _that_kind_ of practical joker, but after sending my son to verify my story, while I miserably phoned the police to begin a theft report, he came back and let everyone know. Sucky birthday, that. That piece of glass is somewhere in my boxes of car memory stuff kept - along with the original keys I was left holding that night.
In my much younger days, I knew the people that did that kind of thing. Mustangs and Chevy pickups (Belltech and Boyd types). That was a lifetime ago.

I never had anything that was a nice car. Fast, yes, but never a creamp puff. The closest I had was a 92 LX coupe. This was in 96 and 97. It was a 4cyl 5spd. Looked the part, but was an econo box. Loved that car. White with black cloth. Gave it to my girlfriend, now wife. It made many runs to Fresno state and back on weekends. Me driving, then her down to West Covina. I used it as my commuter car, had several V8 cars at the time. It was nice to have something with power everything, and 20+mpg, that at least looked like the fun cars.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
well, my purchase came after years of working myself through college, then landing a consulting gig with JPL, so I felt I deserved it. My parents did not like me doing that, though. They would've rather me buy a house. but I was rolling then. one fond moment from 34 years ago was me in my new boat at Blythe with 7 women on one of the sandbars listening to the stereo and enjoying chilled beverage in the hot sun. Well worth not owning a house (in that few years of my life) for owning that memory.
Parents are an interesting thing. I was a grease monkey and construction dork. Never completed college, and that was a let down to my parents. When I was 20ish, I bought my first house. I really think that and my wedding were the two times my parents were most proud of me. I think in their eyes it showed I was able to accomplish something "adult". Pops liked the cars I built, but Mom hated them. In the grand scheme of things, I think they were a little shocked I didn't go to jail, and became a father and a husband. I guess I set the bar a little low.

What did you do for JPL? My daughter is looking into aerospace engineering. She's scary smart, does math that I can't even figure out what they're asking. Currently 17 and a senior...taking physics for fun.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@Christopher Lucero , that's very cool! My grandfather worked in aerospace, from WWII until 1972. Aerojet, Rocketdyne, Northrop and the like. Started as a machinist, and eventually was running plants. One of the men I met through old cars, retired from JPL. He rebuilt carbs and ignitions, brilliant man. His claim to real fame was have worked on the moon rover...even in space, still a car guy. Having grown up in SoCal, I met lots of people that had been in the flight business. They may not have been involved at the time, but that was where they built the groundwork for their future.

I was pretty good in school. Excellent test scores, but had issues doing homework. If I understood it, what was the point in doing more of it? If I didn't understand it, why do it wrong? That logic doesn't fly well in high school. My father wanted me to do anything but what he did...roofing. Well, I think he was pleased by what I did doing that job. Oh, it sucked, and it hurt, but it got me here. He didn't live long enough to see me pay off my current home or the river pad, but I think he's smiling.

We all take different paths to different ends. I want the best fo my kids. Like most parents though, I don't know exactly what that will be. There are concepts evolving for computers and propulsion, land, air and water, that are yesterday's science fiction. I hope my kids can learn and understand these things. In time, my tool boxes will just be artifacts of "the old world".

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
@Christopher Lucero , that's very cool! My grandfather worked in aerospace, from WWII until 1972. Aerojet, Rocketdyne, Northrop and the like. Started as a machinist, and eventually was running plants. One of the men I met through old cars, retired from JPL. He rebuilt carbs and ignitions, brilliant man. His claim to real fame was have worked on the moon rover...even in space, still a car guy. Having grown up in SoCal, I met lots of people that had been in the flight business. They may not have been involved at the time, but that was where they built the groundwork for their future.

I was pretty good in school. Excellent test scores, but had issues doing homework. If I understood it, what was the point in doing more of it? If I didn't understand it, why do it wrong? That logic doesn't fly well in high school. My father wanted me to do anything but what he did...roofing. Well, I think he was pleased by what I did doing that job. Oh, it sucked, and it hurt, but it got me here. He didn't live long enough to see me pay off my current home or the river pad, but I think he's smiling.

We all take different paths to different ends. I want the best fo my kids. Like most parents though, I don't know exactly what that will be. There are concepts evolving for computers and propulsion, land, air and water, that are yesterday's science fiction. I hope my kids can learn and understand these things. In time, my tool boxes will just be artifacts of "the old world".

I think you are mistaken sir, your tools will always be more than a keepsake, even 100 years from now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think you are mistaken sir, your tools will always be more than a keepsake, even 100 years from now.
I hope so. People interested in using them may be in shorter supply though. I have some tools that are 100 years old, and still get used. Heck, my anvil is almost 130, and gets used at least once a week. A machine can't create, not yet at least. There will still be a need for human hands and minds for some time. That, and repairs aren't always the same failures, so repairs aren't always the same. Human hands and minds can deal with adverse conditions, and can be creative off the cuff.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I hope so. People interested in using them may be in shorter supply though. I have some tools that are 100 years old, and still get used. Heck, my anvil is almost 130, and gets used at least once a week. A machine can't create, not yet at least. There will still be a need for human hands and minds for some time. That, and repairs aren't always the same failures, so repairs aren't always the same. Human hands and minds can deal with adverse conditions, and can be creative off the cuff.

There will never be an AI that can imagine or conceptualize what a Riviera would look like mated to a Studebaker.... ;)

Our talents need to be passed on, we are going to forge the foundation of the 3rd generation from now, your grandchildren's kids.

I fear that Idiocracy will consume us, and they will have to survive on their own, with only our teachings...

And our tools.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
There will never be an AI that can imagine or conceptualize what a Riviera would look like mated to a Studebaker
Algorithms could be trained to do such a thing, but they - in the end - depend upon the 'feelings' of people to teach them which matings are attractive and which ones are repugnant. Only talented human insight can accurately do this before the fact, which I believe is your point. OTOH, to each, his own.

Taboma

Reaction score
Algorithms could be trained to do such a thing, but they - in the end - depend upon the 'feelings' of people to teach them which matings are attractive and which ones are repugnant. Only talented human insight can accurately do this before the fact, which I believe is your point. OTOH, to each, his own.

I see repugnant things all the time and in every case, there's a person who disagrees with me. The important thing to remember is, RDP is a positive place, negative comments are highly discouraged.
Being old, I've come to realize, almost nothing with the exception of adult incontinence products are marketed to appeal to me. 😂

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I see repugnant things all the time and in every case, there's a person who disagrees with me. The important thing to remember is, RDP is a positive place, negative comments are highly discouraged.
Being old, I've come to realize, almost nothing with the exception of adult incontinence products are marketed to appeal to me. 😂
In kind of an interesting way, you'd be exceptionally difficult to market towards. Electricians tend to be very "binary", or "black and white"...the nature of the business, the right way, and the way that hurts or starts fires...but...you were/are a musician, showing a more artistic and creative side.

Not exactly the broad net cast by the marketing groups 😁

Taboma

Reaction score
In kind of an interesting way, you'd be exceptionally difficult to market towards. Electricians tend to be very "binary", or "black and white"...the nature of the business, the right way, and the way that hurts or starts fires...but...you were/are a musician, showing a more artistic and creative side.

Not exactly the broad net cast by the marketing groups 😁

Picking up on the binary and conflicting musician, very perceptive of you sir. 👍
Even distribution of mom, the artist, musician and dad the complete B&W inspector. Not many studying classical music are doing so after returning home from HS football practice.
In some ways, used to be very easy to market to, or not, depends which side I was shopping for. But today, doesn't matter, if I like something, I'd swear there's some prick following me, calling marketing and advising them to yank that product asap. From socks to coffee creamer, if I buy something I like, I better haul ass back and buy several.

A few years ago, went shopping for a new car for my wife, and this really sharp salesman who'd been paying attention, turns me to me and sez " Oh man, I just remembered we got a car in last night I bet you'd like, want to see it ? " Next Came "Want to drive it ? " ---- One cast and I was on, ended up driving it home with my wife following me wondering WTF had just happened. 😂 Oh, it was for her birthday too. :oops:😁

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, this is very abnormal stuff for me. Some people work with wood. Some here on this site are gifted and talented...and some of us kind of muddle through.

The Monkey Mover needs a table. I was going to do a simple, white cutting board, shaped to be more suitable instead of a rectangle. Well, they are pure white...the vehicle is not.

It looked like shit.

Metal anything would not work, as you'd be able to fry an egg in short order. So, I embarked on an adventure.

The best candidate I had available out here in the sticks was African Mahagony. 11.5" wide only though. Sooo...
2021-03-19 22.15.59.jpg
2021-03-19 22.15.27.jpg
2021-03-19 22.14.35.jpg

Doweled, glued and clamped. One piece ripped to make the two outers for grain contrast.
2021-03-19 22.16.50.jpg

This will end up being the piece underneath, screwed and glued to the top, with the table mount. This was also my stain and lacquer guinea pig.
2021-03-19 22.13.58.jpg

This is the final shape. It allows people to get into the bench seats without stabbing their gut. This is sanded and stained.
2021-03-19 22.13.18.jpg

Unknown number of coats of lacquer...may or may not have worn a respirator...
2021-03-19 22.12.39.jpg

...first sand and buff. Never done this on wood before, or on a piece clamped to a table.
2021-03-19 22.10.35.jpg

Second cut and buff. Not perfect, but should shine up real good now. I thought the mahagony gives it kind of the tropical island feel. The hardware is stainless, and ads to a more "nautical" theme.

I thought about carving tiki faces in it...but then a beer bottle wouldn't sit level. Would look cool, but not functional...hopefully this flies well!

RichL

Reaction score
Ok, this is very abnormal stuff for me. Some people work with wood. Some here on this site are gifted and talented...and some of us kind of muddle through.

The Monkey Mover needs a table. I was going to do a simple, white cutting board, shaped to be more suitable instead of a rectangle. Well, they are pure white...the vehicle is not.

It looked like shit.

Metal anything would not work, as you'd be able to fry an egg in short order. So, I embarked on an adventure.

The best candidate I had available out here in the sticks was African Mahagony. 11.5" wide only though. Sooo... View attachment 983931 View attachment 983932 View attachment 983933
Doweled, glued and clamped. One piece ripped to make the two outers for grain contrast.
View attachment 983934
This will end up being the piece underneath, screwed and glued to the top, with the table mount. This was also my stain and lacquer guinea pig.
View attachment 983935
This is the final shape. It allows people to get into the bench seats without stabbing their gut. This is sanded and stained.
View attachment 983936
View attachment 983937
...first sand and buff. Never done this on wood before, or on a piece clamped to a table.
View attachment 983939
Second cut and buff. Not perfect, but should shine up real good now. I thought the mahagony gives it kind of the tropical island feel. The hardware is stainless, and ads to a more "nautical" theme.

I thought about carving tiki faces in it...but then a beer bottle wouldn't sit level. Would look cool, but not functional...hopefully this flies well!
I'm impressed. Two thumbs up Sir.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

It looked like shit.

The best candidate I had available out here in the sticks was African Mahagony. 11.5" wide only though. Sooo... View attachment 983931 View attachment 983932 View attachment 983933
View attachment 983934
View attachment 983935
View attachment 983936
View attachment 983937
View attachment 983939

mare you going to put drop through cup holders in that? Looks ridiculously nice!! 😍 I guess I can put those flip up cup holders on the verticals under the bench if ya elect not to put holes in that wood.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
mare you going to put drop through cup holders in that? Looks ridiculously nice!! 😍 I guess I can put those flip up cup holders on the verticals under the bench if ya elect not to put holes in that wood.
I thought about drop ins, but thought they may look goofy due to the size of the table. Not to mention, you'd lose valuable sammich space on the top 😁
Glad you approve of the table though! She ain't done yet, but getting there.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Tinkered a little more. The original floor was kind of carpeted and plywood. The plywood didn't appear to have ever been sealed, and was attached with screws in 4 points, as well as the table mount...
2021-03-23 22.48.55.jpg

The center piece will be mounted via the table, the outers will "float". There is sheet metal underneath. It had a ton of sand, and had held moisture over the years. I put in 4 .75" vent/drain holes in that metal, to give water a chance to drain out, and some air to circulate. Also part of the idea of the outers floating.
2021-03-23 22.49.23.jpg
2021-03-23 22.50.41.jpg

The top pic is of the wood stained, and sealed with 6 coats of urethane. It should be harder, and able to deal better with pebbles and sand. Not as shiny as lacquer, but better for foot traffic. The bottom pic is a closeup of the boards. About a 3/32" gap between boards and seat metal. The theory is water, or spilt beer, will run off and into the newly drained metal. This way there won't be much, if any, pooling. If a floor mat is used, it could still be affixed under the table, or made to snap around the table base.
2021-03-23 22.51.18.jpg
2021-03-23 22.51.54.jpg

For the time being, I took the table leg/post and cleaned it up. It was speckled rust on the chrome. I scrubbed in down to the nickel, and laqcuered it. The table bases were wire wheeled to remove oxidation.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The rear "bumper" on the Monkey Mover doubles as a step/footrest for the rearmost seat. By it's design, and purpose of the vehicle, it's probably going to take a beating (buddies running to catch up and jumping on it, bouncing for the hell of it, etc...)

So, instead of buying some high end hard wood, or risking synthetic coming apart in the heat, I went with some "modifications".

After sanding the old board down, I also scraped it a bit to remove some adhesive and splinters.
2021-03-31 23.49.09.jpg

I copied the logo from the front. No high tech stuff, free handed with a pencil on card stock, then used a razor to cut out a stencil.
2021-03-31 23.48.09.jpg

I then used an 1/8" ball mill bit in a Dremel, to outline the letters, and carve out the "toes". I sanded down the paint and any new splinters. When it was smooth and clean again, I used some dark...really black...stain I had left from an old Ford wood floor. Not quite paint, but close.
2021-03-31 23.47.36.jpg

It's stained, and I'll put a few coats of urethane on it tomorrow. I couldn't leave it left out, needed a little pimp treatment. Not overdone, but functional with some style.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
I then used an 1/8" ball mill bit in a Dremel, to outline the letters, and carve out the "toes". I sanded down the paint and any new splinters. When it was smooth and clean again, I used some dark...really black...stain I had left from an old Ford wood floor. Not quite paint, but close.
View attachment 988089
It's stained, and I'll put a few coats of urethane on it tomorrow. I couldn't leave it left out, needed a little pimp treatment. Not overdone, but functional with some style.
maybe fill with your fav color acrylic enamel (nail polish?)and then polish flush to keep your emboss from filling with detritus?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
maybe fill with your fav color acrylic enamel (nail polish?)and then polish flush to keep your emboss from filling with detritus?
Probably going to flood the lines with clear, kind of for that reason. The problem with colors, this thing doesn't have many. The brightest color is the body color, which is off-white. Everything else is an earth tone, and I think may look odd against the wood.

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Probably going to flood the lines with clear, kind of for that reason. The problem with colors, this thing doesn't have many. The brightest color is the body color, which is off-white. Everything else is an earth tone, and I think may look odd against the wood.
or ...Inlay? darker stain (or lighter) ....just throwing ideas out there to eat up your valuable leisure time.:)

Jay Dub

Reaction score

It looked like shit.

View attachment 983934
View attachment 983935
View attachment 983936
View attachment 983937
View attachment 983939

Great work for someone who says that have not worked with wood much

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Cool. A car, like a woman, should reveal itself. Subtle little nuances, not slapped in the face.
Looks like it’s been there for years.👏
There are different kinds of cars, and different kinds of women.

I know of at least one inmate with a brightly colored pasta rocket. To me, an extremely sexy car, but also slaps you across the face. Kind of like the woman in the coctail dress, quietly sitting in the corner. You know she's out of your league, but you still may risk it.

At the same establishment, you may also have a business woman. Sharply dressed, with a very "matter of fact" demeanor. Always worth investigating to see what's under the hood.

Then, the waitress. She's usually the one that's a "dual purpose". She has to look decent, and act the part, but usually more function over form. Kind of the equivalent to an suv. Some are better than others in looks and in function. The problem is, there job involves acting the part.

Cars and women also have this in common: Paint and bodywork. Paint can cover a lot of sins, and good bodywork is expensive!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Great work for someone who says that have not worked with wood much
The only wood work I've done has been with a skillsaw on a roof, building speaker boxes or occasionally modifying old body wood in cars. Put simply, stuff that gets covered up. We didn't have shop in high school...but I watched Bob Villa and New Yankee Workshop on PBS! I knew how stuff was supposed to look, and be done, but never had the tools. Up until this project, I'd never used a router before. I can do some good work with a worm drive and a flapper wheel on a grinder though. This wood was a fair bit more than pine though, and didn't want to risk screwing up.

@Travmon put it best in his thread, if you try to do it, chances are you'll succeed. If you don't try, you never will. There are very few things that are rocket science. Metal work, wood work...they take practice. Well, I keep practicing. Slowly but surely, my skillset improves. Maybe by the time I die I will finally own a finished car!