WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales Of A Mercenary Mechanic

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
There are different kinds of cars, and different kinds of women.

I know of at least one inmate with a brightly colored pasta rocket. To me, an extremely sexy car, but also slaps you across the face. Kind of like the woman in the coctail dress, quietly sitting in the corner. You know she's out of your league, but you still may risk it.

At the same establishment, you may also have a business woman. Sharply dressed, with a very "matter of fact" demeanor. Always worth investigating to see what's under the hood.

Then, the waitress. She's usually the one that's a "dual purpose". She has to look decent, and act the part, but usually more function over form. Kind of the equivalent to an suv. Some are better than others in looks and in function. The problem is, there job involves acting the part.

Cars and women also have this in common: Paint and bodywork. Paint can cover a lot of sins, and good bodywork is expensive!
I’m not saying they have to be subtle. Flaming blower cars are cool. But if I walk up and see everything in the first 30 seconds, meh.
One of my favorite cars is full in your face 67 Nova. You might know it. First time I saw it after 5 minutes it was still “revealing” itself.
Blown small block, EFI bug catcher. One of the first efi hilborns to my knowledge. Pearlpowder blue. Full cage prostreet. All most saw was giant tire blower car.
Example, emblems were airbrushed on. 3D chrome effect. Drop shadow everything. Then if you’re paying attention, the emblem was broken. They painted in a broken emblem, as if that wasn’t enough you could see were the paint was faded when the emblem was intact. You could let this car reveal itself all night.
A 70 Chevrolet with a blower and tire, cool next....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I’m not saying they have to be subtle. Flaming blower cars are cool. But if I walk up and see everything in the first 30 seconds, meh.
One of my favorite cars is full in your face 67 Nova. You might know it. First time I saw it after 5 minutes it was still “revealing” itself.
Blown small block, EFI bug catcher. One of the first efi hilborns to my knowledge. Pearlpowder blue. Full cage prostreet. All most saw was giant tire blower car.
Example, emblems were airbrushed on. 3D chrome effect. Drop shadow everything. Then if you’re paying attention, the emblem was broken. They painted in a broken emblem, as if that wasn’t enough you could see were the paint was faded when the emblem was intact. You could let this car reveal itself all night.
Troy Trapineir(sp) did a late 60s mustang that did it for me. The more you looked, the more work and detail you saw. Me and a buddy sat on a bench at the GNRS for almost an hour, just looking at it. My buddy is a relatively high end rod builder, but we both love looking at the details a lot of people won't even notice. You have to appreciate the time, effort and skills some of the builders have.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
The only wood work I've done has been with a skillsaw on a roof, building speaker boxes or occasionally modifying old body wood in cars. Put simply, stuff that gets covered up. We didn't have shop in high school...but I watched Bob Villa and New Yankee Workshop on PBS! I knew how stuff was supposed to look, and be done, but never had the tools. Up until this project, I'd never used a router before. I can do some good work with a worm drive and a flapper wheel on a grinder though. This wood was a fair bit more than pine though, and didn't want to risk screwing up.

@Travmon put it best in his thread, if you try to do it, chances are you'll succeed. If you don't try, you never will. There are very few things that are rocket science. Metal work, wood work...they take practice. Well, I keep practicing. Slowly but surely, my skillset improves. Maybe by the time I die I will finally own a finished car!
Idk man you might want to get on ancestry.com. I think you might have a little Amish in you. Bad ass work. Really dig this thread. Never know what to expect. 👍

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Idk man you might want to get on ancestry.com. I think you might have a little Amish in you. Bad ass work. Really dig this thread. Never know what to expect. 👍
Been on Ancestry, and some others. Found out how the Mexican side ended up with a Germanic name...involved a preacher after the Civil War moving to Texas, married a Mexican lady. The more Euro side was "Kingman", as in railroad and such...they got here on the Mayflower. Somewhere around the late 1800's, most went blue collar. Lots of construction dorks and a few machinist. A couple engineering types were the closest to white collar, but it was a time when an engineer could also run a machine. History is pretty cool.

As for not knowing what to expect, I don't either! Have no plans usually, just a picture in my head. Do what I can to get as close to that as possible.

Taboma

Reaction score
Been on Ancestry, and some others. Found out how the Mexican side ended up with a Germanic name...involved a preacher after the Civil War moving to Texas, married a Mexican lady. The more Euro side was "Kingman", as in railroad and such...they got here on the Mayflower. Somewhere around the late 1800's, most went blue collar. Lots of construction dorks and a few machinist. A couple engineering types were the closest to white collar, but it was a time when an engineer could also run a machine. History is pretty cool.

As for not knowing what to expect, I don't either! Have no plans usually, just a picture in my head. Do what I can to get as close to that as possible.

What I've learned from folks who searched on Ancestry --- Either the Mayflower was the largest ship every built, or those passengers were breeding like bunnies. 😂

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What I've learned from folks who searched on Ancestry --- Either the Mayflower was the largest ship every built, or those passengers were breeding like bunnies. 😂
Well, there wasn't a lot else to do... 😁

With the Kingman side of the family, their history was written down and passed down. I guess that used to be a thing, kind of like what hood you're from now.

It should be something as a family to be proud of, roots I guess. I am. My brother on the other hand...he feels more "ashamed" of his roots. He took a "Latino Studies" class in college, and sent me copies of the pay scale for Lewis Kingman's rail project. Different for whites, browns, reds and yellows. He was disgusted. We think quite differently. I've worked alongside people doing the same job, and making more. I kind of think it's like that everywhere to some extent. If you're hungry enough, the scale doesn't matter, as long as you get paid.

Taboma

Reaction score
Well, there wasn't a lot else to do... 😁

With the Kingman side of the family, their history was written down and passed down. I guess that used to be a thing, kind of like what hood you're from now.

It should be something as a family to be proud of, roots I guess. I am. My brother on the other hand...he feels more "ashamed" of his roots. He took a "Latino Studies" class in college, and sent me copies of the pay scale for Lewis Kingman's rail project. Different for whites, browns, reds and yellows. He was disgusted. We think quite differently. I've worked alongside people doing the same job, and making more. I kind of think it's like that everywhere to some extent. If you're hungry enough, the scale doesn't matter, as long as you get paid.

Most of my "Roots" have been lost to history, mostly because everybody's dead, and or because all the remaining pictures and family records burned in the fire.
They were from one of three places. Massachusetts, Kansas or fresh off the boat Brits. Nobody ventured west until the early 30's when my dad and his best buddy migrated west from Mass., in his Model A. 😁

There's a chance however, that your forefathers or mothers knew my wife's, since Ancestory.com showed her a descendent with Mayflower roots as well, along with several others I know all sharing a similar claim. There were some real studs on that damned boat. 😂
But like you said, between boredom and a desire to increase the flock, procreation was an important past time.

Cool, that you're related to Lewis Kingman, sure be fun to sit around the camp fire and listen to stories of those days first hand.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
What I've learned from folks who searched on Ancestry --- Either the Mayflower was the largest ship every built, or those passengers were breeding like bunnies. [emoji23]

It’s just like that for people who get hypnotized and go thru so-called “past life regressions”.

Literally everyone used to a king, queen, or other such nobility.

33f2995f-7f08-4fcd-9a1e-56efccecf4b6_text.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Most of my "Roots" have been lost to history, mostly because everybody's dead, and or because all the remaining pictures and family records burned in the fire.
They were from one of three places. Massachusetts, Kansas or fresh off the boat Brits. Nobody ventured west until the early 30's when my dad and his best buddy migrated west from Mass., in his Model A. 😁

There's a chance however, that your forefathers or mothers knew my wife's, since Ancestory.com showed her a descendent with Mayflower roots as well, along with several others I know all sharing a similar claim. There were some real studs on that damned boat. 😂
But like you said, between boredom and a desire to increase the flock, procreation was an important past time.

Cool, that you're related to Lewis Kingman, sure be fun to sit around the camp fire and listen to stories of those days first hand.
Somewhere in my book collection I have an oddity, "Memoirs of Lewis Kingman". The book was published in the 1950's...my guess would be not a big seller. It goes over some pretty detailed experiences of the railroad. He wrote about riding from east of 'Flag to the territorial capitol...Prescott. Two full days' ride, and mentions the area of Sedona as some God Forsaken land. Just wierd to think about a super on a job site now, video chatting with people around the country.

Both sides of my family moved out to Cali at the onset of WWII. From Topeka, and from San Antonio. No nobility anywhere...guess I didn't get that lucky. Wanting to know about my roots I think stems from not ever meeting my grandfathers. Just stories heard, and then wanting to know where they came from, and why they left. Being a history dork, I wanted to see how it tied in to things.

Taboma

Reaction score
Somewhere in my book collection I have an oddity, "Memoirs of Lewis Kingman". The book was published in the 1950's...my guess would be not a big seller. It goes over some pretty detailed experiences of the railroad. He wrote about riding from east of 'Flag to the territorial capitol...Prescott. Two full days' ride, and mentions the area of Sedona as some God Forsaken land. Just wierd to think about a super on a job site now, video chatting with people around the country.

Both sides of my family moved out to Cali at the onset of WWII. From Topeka, and from San Antonio. No nobility anywhere...guess I didn't get that lucky. Wanting to know about my roots I think stems from not ever meeting my grandfathers. Just stories heard, and then wanting to know where they came from, and why they left. Being a history dork, I wanted to see how it tied in to things.

I find the history of Kingman and the surrounding area fascinating because our ranch is in the area and in close proximity to an old mine and mining town. My buddy's grandparents worked the mine and ran the town's boarding house. RR runs past there down in the valley below and was used to haul the mined silver out. Almost his entire family is buried in the town's cemetery, several having been relocated when Lake Mead was dammed.

It's good you're pursuing your roots while you've still got living relatives with records and a memory. I wished I'd asked more questions when there were those around to answer them. I'd like to have known more about my British grandfather's side of the family and life in England. I've probably got some distant cousins still alive in Kansas or Mass., but can't say for sure and I suppose it really makes no difference. I've written up everything I can recall, and given it to my daughter, what she does with it is anybody's guess.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@Taboma , there is no one left "up stream". It's down to my family, and my kids now. I'm lucky they have shown an interest. Maybe one of them will carry on with their kids. Hopefully...If not, at least I did my part to keep the stories alive for another few decades past my grandparents.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, had a guy call me about some 1940 Ford stuff. He needed someone to install vent window seals. Well, today I did a "housecall", and took the required tools over, a small folding work table, and a packing blanket so I could keep the garnish moldings nice. Not too difficult a job, just had to be careful to not scratch anything.
2021-04-03 17.45.47.jpg

2021-04-03 17.45.07.jpg

Beautiful garage, the Chevy in the pick is a very nice restoration, and there's also a big block, tripower, 4spd Mopar! Nice stuff
2021-04-03 17.46.30.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
If it's the car I'm thinking of my buddy Greg "Nuke" did the chassis

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just shy of a month...been busy as heck. Between sick kids lately, and everyone wanting things done because of the nice weather... :oops:

Well, the guy with the really nice 37 wants more stuff done...a lot more. It will be getting Lincoln hydraulic brakes, a front end rebuild, new gearing in the rear axle and a built flathead.
The motor needs to be "run-in" before I pull the car down. He got a long block that was set to go into a hot rod...the block was red. Not going to fly with a more conservative, traditional car...
2021-05-02 12.58.24.jpg

So, without pulling the heads, stripped off the redness. Washed it down with break cleaner, then wiped it with acetone, and got her old Ford green.
2021-05-02 12.59.03.jpg
2021-05-02 12.59.03.jpg

The intake manifold was new...too new. The heads were old, so the brightness needed to fade.
2021-05-02 13.00.47.jpg

Chemical wash to oxidize the aluminum. Pain in the butt, never had a new one to mess with. The bright, shiny bolts were stripped of their cad coating, and mfg and hardness markings ground off. This leaves a smooth, bare steel head atop the manifold. I'll get some pics later of that. The carbs I had are just for mock up, to fit fuel lines and such.
2021-05-02 13.01.34.jpg

It's coming together. In the above pic you can see the manifold doesn't have the new as cast look anymore.
2021-05-02 13.02.35.jpg

Put together a decent starter, so I can keep his 37 self powered for now. The air cleaners are just mocked, haven't decided what yet for them.

More mess to come, but these are the pics I had ready!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, on a Monkey note, been fiddle-farting with little crap that bugs me. The choke was stiff as hell. The factory cable is not available. Previous owner put in a universal choke cable. It was siezed, so I replaced it with the same. Well, it still sucked. The kits they sell have a single wire "cable". The Daihatsu engineers figured it best to run the cable through a series of 90 degree turns...not what a wire wants to do.
2021-05-02 13.34.08.jpg

Sooo, I searched for a multi-strand cable type...Well, carbs are apparently dinosaurs. So, I found this cable. It was a hood release cable, but a small enough diameter to fit inside the choke cable housing. Of course, the end was a square shank, steel piece. I needed to make the square round, to fit the end of the housing, and to thread it.
2021-05-02 13.34.37.jpg

The shank could not be put in a lathe, 4ft of cable coming out the back. I'm not that skilled. It got there though. I then threaded it the closest size, which turned out to be a 10/24nc. Of course, never had to look for a knob that size. Next project...
2021-05-02 16.42.43.jpg

This started as a 7/16" steel rod. First, I drilled and tapped the side. Low tech, in a vise. Then started rough shaping with a cutoff wheel. When it was roughed out, I cut the part I needed off. I used the screw to hold the knob to carve on it with a Dremel...safety first.
2021-05-02 16.42.43.jpg

Also, the alignment from the cable to the choke arm on carb was not good. The ball pivot from the factory may have had an offset end on the cable. I don't really know, as the manuals didn't show it clearly, and the web didn't show much either. With the choke cable not being stock, and this not really being a restoration, I removed the ball pivot on the carb. I drilled it out, and installed a cable type. It is floating in nylon bushings, and allows more angle of pull.
2021-05-02 13.33.36.jpg

....and a pic for the previous post. Hardware modifications are lost on a lot of people. Really, most people want the parts to function, that's about it. On this particular deal, I didn't want the parts to look like they came from different sources or time periods.
2021-05-02 16.46.56.jpg

Here's a closeup of the manifold. Bolts are stripped and cleaded. Manifold is oxidized and not bright. If you use something too caustic, like oven cleaner, it can turn black. Sitting on the manifold is a standard bright finish bolt for comparison.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you need a knob or something with a 10/24 thread in it jist let me know! I can whip up a round black plastic one in minutes.. 🤪

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you need a knob or something with a 10/24 thread in it jist let me know! I can whip up a round black plastic one in minutes.. 🤪
Hell, that would be too easy! Most of the hot rod-esque ones I had were a set screw/universal type. I thought about making one out of delrin, but honestly didn't know what prolonged heat or UV would do to it. Would it get brittle? Would it heat swell making the threads loose? Modern weirdness.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
2021-05-12 21.19.00.jpg

2021-05-12 21.19.28.jpg

Update: This little F'r has some short legs! Maybe 6:1 gear set in the rearend? This was my first time driving it more than just up onto ramps, or around in the shop. She seems to top out maybe 35ish, but you feel like you're breaking new land speed records 😂 I think between the crappy road I live on, and the tires that had been filled with varying tube sizes, not the best of handling characteristics have been acheived. I also found out the rear seat was just sitting in place...luckily before my shakedown pass. Took me a bit, but finally got the parking brake cable un-siezed...Design flaw of the Daihatsu, the cable runs straight through the floor. Not bad if it has a roof. Well, takes water without. The cable is no longer available, so we did some secret sauce and a little prayer.
Almost there! Tried to get the "sexy sunset" shot...two problems: I'm not a photographer, and it's a Daihatsu;)
Picked up some hardware for the seat tonight after my victory lap. She needs a good bath.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 1001953
View attachment 1001958
Update: This little F'r has some short legs! Maybe 6:1 gear set in the rearend? This was my first time driving it more than just up onto ramps, or around in the shop. She seems to top out maybe 35ish, but you feel like you're breaking new land speed records 😂 I think between the crappy road I live on, and the tires that had been filled with varying tube sizes, not the best of handling characteristics have been acheived. I also found out the rear seat was just sitting in place...luckily before my shakedown pass. Took me a bit, but finally got the parking brake cable un-siezed...Design flaw of the Daihatsu, the cable runs straight through the floor. Not bad if it has a roof. Well, takes water without. The cable is no longer available, so we did some secret sauce and a little prayer.
Almost there! Tried to get the "sexy sunset" shot...two problems: I'm not a photographer, and it's a Daihatsu;)
Picked up some hardware for the seat tonight after my victory lap. She needs a good bath.

i love it!! So it’s 100% functional now? The last time I drove it it pulled to the right when you used the brakes

Taboma

Reaction score
Isn't the top on bass-asswards ? Covering the bed with no seats instead of the driver's area ? I know, I know, but it looks cooler 😁

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Isn't the top on bass-asswards ? Covering the bed with no seats instead of the driver's area ? I know, I know, but it looks cooler 😁

there is a piece missing.. there is a cover that snaps on the windshield and zips to the rear Bimini.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
i love it!! So it’s 100% functional now? The last time I drove it it pulled to the right when you used the brakes
I haven't driven it enough to feel comfortable with my normal "brake pull test". What I normally do is roll down the road at 15-20, and lock them up. That way I can kind of see what a panic stop will do. Probably do that today. The high beam switch is gummy, and not switching, and the horn button doesn't work. Other than those, pretty damn close. I think I'm going to make some rubber snubbers to go inside the door catches...they rattle and it annoys the hell out of me. Radio works, currently have Death Row's Greatest Hits Vol 1 in the CD player. Brake and signals are all working again. Changed out the flasher to a modern canister type and ditched the metal slug setup...it would click once, and the light would stay on.
As for the brakes pulling previously, there may be the possibility that the seized rear cylinder could have caused it. It doesn't feel extremely front biased, so if it pulled braking with passengers, it could have been the good rear trying to stop.

It especially looks goofy with no rear facing seat installed. I put it back how I found it :oops: As Dave said, I'm pretty sure something was missing. The windshield frame has snaps on it, and I believe there is a zipper on the front edge of the top. I'd thought maybe they just wanted to shade the important people, or maybe it was always in the way for the driver getting in and out.

Taboma

Reaction score
I haven't driven it enough to feel comfortable with my normal "brake pull test". What I normally do is roll down the road at 15-20, and lock them up. That way I can kind of see what a panic stop will do. Probably do that today. The high beam switch is gummy, and not switching, and the horn button doesn't work. Other than those, pretty damn close. I think I'm going to make some rubber snubbers to go inside the door catches...they rattle and it annoys the hell out of me. Radio works, currently have Death Row's Greatest Hits Vol 1 in the CD player. Brake and signals are all working again. Changed out the flasher to a modern canister type and ditched the metal slug setup...it would click once, and the light would stay on.
As for the brakes pulling previously, there may be the possibility that the seized rear cylinder could have caused it. It doesn't feel extremely front biased, so if it pulled braking with passengers, it could have been the good rear trying to stop.

It especially looks goofy with no rear facing seat installed. I put it back how I found it :oops: As Dave said, I'm pretty sure something was missing. The windshield frame has snaps on it, and I believe there is a zipper on the front edge of the top. I'd thought maybe they just wanted to shade the important people, or maybe it was always in the way for the driver getting in and out.

I think the Safari look --- Front seat driver and guide uncovered, while the pampered tourists sip wine, enjoying the shade of the top -- is what's begging for the Zebra stripes. 😁

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
View attachment 1001953
View attachment 1001958
I could have had one of these for 500$ not running and passed it up

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@monkeyswrench can you out seat belts in it (for the kids).. I don’t want them to poke you in the ass though when you put 3 people across the bench.

they make some cheap kits for golf carts.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@monkeyswrench can you out seat belts in it (for the kids).. I don’t want them to poke you in the ass though when you put 3 people across the bench.

they make some cheap kits for golf carts.
How many belts? A pair for each bench, or three across? If you just did belts on the two rearmost benches, they could just drop between when not in use. There is 4 or 5 inches of dead space between the seat bottoms. The front bench, behind the cab, they would have to always be out. There is no space behind or under.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think just three across on the back forward facing bench.. then the kids can seat belt in there..

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think just three across on the back forward facing bench.. then the kids can seat belt in there..
Ok, I'll get some either ordered or in hand tomorrow. With all the people moving out here "new" to big property, we actually have some "ranch cart" shops 😂
That, and normal parts houses out here carry them as well.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
This morning started out hitting one of the local cart shops. Wanted to see about seat belts. The price was cheap enough, but I don't think I'd have trusted the 1 1/2" web. They were pairs only, but looked more suited to a kids go kart...or high chair.

So, hit up O'Reilly's. They had 2 on the shelf, sold individually. They pulled the third from another store, and dropped it off. Pretty cool, got some juice around here 😂

Anyway, the ones they had were 72". A bit long, but actually DOT approved. Better than using a bungee cord to hold the kids in place. I took about 15" off the buckle side, cut and singed the webbing. The other side leaves more than enough adjustment, kids or drunk adults. Dual purpose maybe. When not in use, they can just be put behind the seat, pretty good size channel there. Probably buckle them so they don't slide off the side in turns.
2021-05-14 21.40.59.jpg

2021-05-14 21.42.07.jpg

Probably won't pass tech at a dragstrip, but it's a Daihatsu.

On another note, saw this and laughed.
2021-05-14 22.02.53.jpg

It would appear as though I was flogging it quite hard! I also saw the tiny print, 1026 revolutions per mile. Well, I did the math, and figured out the lowpros on here spin about 1190 times per mile. We be 10% off on both gearing and speed. Probably part of what makes it so torquey from a stop. The factory gear set is a 5.80:1...with the bonus 10%, she's sitting at a 6.38:1. In comparison, my old Navigator with 46" tires was running about that ratio!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Goings on at the Monkey Farm...
The beautiful 1937, unmolested and 30k miles...is being molested. Owner wants to make it a "driver"...with another flathead. Well joy. Sourced a built up flatty, and ran it in on a run stand. This thing was going to be a bitch, and didn't think swapping out motors was a thing to do twice. The front sheet metal has never been of...ever...in 84 years. It fits really nice, so I didn't want to strip the clip. Royal pain in the ass, and like playing twister, but pulled it just pulling hoods.
2021-06-18 20.30.14.jpg

Cleaned up 84 years of crud. Also got new engine and headlamp wiring.
2021-06-18 20.31.41.jpg

Got the wiring in, and got the motor shoe horned back in as well.
2021-06-18 20.32.26.jpg

So, she's coming along. She's getting Lincoln hydraulic brakes next...cable/mechanical currently.

Somewhere in there there was also a house call. Usually house calls are something broken in a field. Occasionally, it's something really cool, and really nice. The kind of stuff that I consider myself lucky if I'm given the chance to work on it.
2021-06-18 20.35.33.jpg

Yessir, this wasn't the broken tractor type call! This is @stevesdcb 's Chevelle. Had a minor hiccup that needed to be addressed. My pics don't do it much justice...she's puuurdy!
2021-06-18 20.34.49.jpg

2021-06-18 20.34.02.jpg

There's some more boring and greasy stuff going on, but this is the current highlight reel.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Goings on at the Monkey Farm...
The beautiful 1937, unmolested and 30k miles...is being molested. Owner wants to make it a "driver"...with another flathead. Well joy. Sourced a built up flatty, and ran it in on a run stand. This thing was going to be a bitch, and didn't think swapping out motors was a thing to do twice. The front sheet metal has never been of...ever...in 84 years. It fits really nice, so I didn't want to strip the clip. Royal pain in the ass, and like playing twister, but pulled it just pulling hoods. View attachment 1015431
Cleaned up 84 years of crud. Also got new engine and headlamp wiring. View attachment 1015432
Got the wiring in, and got the motor shoe horned back in as well. View attachment 1015433

So, she's coming along. She's getting Lincoln hydraulic brakes next...cable/mechanical currently.

Somewhere in there there was also a house call. Usually house calls are something broken in a field. Occasionally, it's something really cool, and really nice. The kind of stuff that I consider myself lucky if I'm given the chance to work on it. View attachment 1015434
Yessir, this wasn't the broken tractor type call! This is @stevesdcb 's Chevelle. Had a minor hiccup that needed to be addressed. My pics don't do it much justice...she's puuurdy! View attachment 1015436
View attachment 1015437
There's some more boring and greasy stuff going on, but this is the current highlight reel.
Big shout out & thank you to Kevin aka “MonkeyWrench”, took care of my little hiccup on the 67 Chevelle. Car has been a 2 plus year project. Somebody made me an offer I couldn’t refuse so……..she’s off to her new home in Sacramento.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
20210705_123526.jpg

Did another house call a week or so ago. "Cute" little A couple, needed a fuel pump. SBC, aftermarket frame and has all kinds of shiny extra crap. Fuel pump had to be a Holley style, to index the ports to fit in the given space...about 3/8ths away from frame.
20210705_110544.jpg

So, this was my view for a bit. Pump wouldn't in any way come down, and was a bitch from the top...see it peaking around up there?
20210716_195028.jpg

This is back on the 37. Needed to route the exhaust for test drive purposes. On the driver side, headers dump towards wiring, and both sides could gas me out with wooden floor boards. Solution, 90's from the parts house, slipped through X member and onto headers, held in place with springs like a dirt bike. Simple, loud, but I don't die or light the car on fire.
20210716_201807.jpg

This was 2 nights ago...just before the power went out in a monsoon. Try feeling your way out of a garage in full bore thrash mode, crap scattered everywhere!

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
View attachment 1027091
Did another house call a week or so ago. "Cute" little A couple, needed a fuel pump. SBC, aftermarket frame and has all kinds of shiny extra crap. Fuel pump had to be a Holley style, to index the ports to fit in the given space...about 3/8ths away from frame. View attachment 1027092
So, this was my view for a bit. Pump wouldn't in any way come down, and was a bitch from the top...see it peaking around up there?
View attachment 1027093
This is back on the 37. Needed to route the exhaust for test drive purposes. On the driver side, headers dump towards wiring, and both sides could gas me out with wooden floor boards. Solution, 90's from the parts house, slipped through X member and onto headers, held in place with springs like a dirt bike. Simple, loud, but I don't die or light the car on fire. View attachment 1027094
This was 2 nights ago...just before the power went out in a monsoon. Try feeling your way out of a garage in full bore thrash mode, crap scattered everywhere!
Did you feel like Jodie foster in cannibal!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well in that case, no, not so much. No large guy was handing me lotion while under there.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What’s going on with that blue Mustang?
I rebuilt the top loader in it a few months back. Has a leak, but looking at it the speedo cable still has a hole from header heat. So, going to reseal the top cover, and pop in a new speedo cable. While it's here, he wants wiring for a fan relay to be controlled by the new fuel injection, and also a fuel pump relay circuit.

So, a little bit of "warranty" work and some new work.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
I rebuilt the top loader in it a few months back. Has a leak, but looking at it the speedo cable still has a hole from header heat. So, going to reseal the top cover, and pop in a new speedo cable. While it's here, he wants wiring for a fan relay to be controlled by the new fuel injection, and also a fuel pump relay circuit.

So, a little bit of "warranty" work and some new work.
Ahhh……..you know, that blue caught my eye, what year, hp, is she a runner?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ahhh……..you know, that blue caught my eye, what year, hp, is she a runner?
Figured the blue worked for you 😂
She's a 68 coupe done up like a Shelby. Started as a pretty rough piece, but came together pretty nice. Not a rocket by my standards, but fun to drive. Probably only 300hp, mildly built 302 with a decent cam. Runningba FiTech efi unit now. 4 wheel disc brakes, 3.73's and posi.
20210225_090431.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, when we last saw the infamous Monkey Mover, she was ready for her close-up, dialed and styled, ready to pimp...

Well, the bitch kicked me square in the nuts on my final test drive. I drove a couple miles down the road to my friends place. About a half hour later, fired right back up and headed home, confident in it's powerplant. About a 1/4 mile from home, started smoking like a cold two-stroke!

Got home, and almost cried. Gathered myself and started figuring type of smoke and causes... Back in the beginning, she smoked, but it was coolant. Re torqued the head and all better. This was oil smoke. Stuck ring or something, lots of blow by. I tried every old man tractor trick known. No joy. So, I started trying to source parts. Took a bit, but may have that squared away. This was about the time of the Johnson family road tour. I didn't want to take it apart without knowing it could be fixed...it still ran. Talked with the boss man a couple weeks ago...it must be done.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Ok, when we last saw the infamous Monkey Mover, she was ready for her close-up, dialed and styled, ready to pimp...

Well, the bitch kicked me square in the nuts on my final test drive. I drove a couple miles down the road to my friends place. About a half hour later, fired right back up and headed home, confident in it's powerplant. About a 1/4 mile from home, started smoking like a cold two-stroke!

Got home, and almost cried. Gathered myself and started figuring type of smoke and causes... Back in the beginning, she smoked, but it was coolant. Re torqued the head and all better. This was oil smoke. Stuck ring or something, lots of blow by. I tried every old man tractor trick known. No joy. So, I started trying to source parts. Took a bit, but may have that squared away. This was about the time of the Johnson family road tour. I didn't want to take it apart without knowing it could be fixed...it still ran. Talked with the boss man a couple weeks ago...it must be done.

One of thing I've always looked at, aside from the symptoms, is in what manner that symptoms occured. Your situation came on rather suddenly. A piston ring isn't gonna stick all of a sudden, and a cylinder isn't gonna wear out all of a sudden. A PCV valve can fail all of a sudden though. Keep that in the back of your head as you form your diagnostic plan. Is oil coming past the rings (unlikely) or is oil getting dumped back into the intake (much more likely given the instant onset). Put a catch can on it and try it again....either excessive cylinder pressure, which can't really come on that quick unless you've got a hole in the piston, but you'd have recognized that before you saw the smoke....or something in the vent system.