WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tales of the Blackbird (SR-71)

4Waters

Reaction score
It was just posted a few weeks ago and I hadn’t watched it yet. So glad I did tonight. One of the best ones yet.
For sure, they talked about several Skunk_Works planes and an F14 cameo 👍👍. Slide rulers and paper only, I was shocked when the SR71 took off from London and landed in California 4 hours before it took off😳😳

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
This popped up, and I thought it worthy of this thread. It's another longer video, but you can tell this guy is still in love with what he did!

It never gets old watching these videos of Americans building planes that will never be replicated while only using a slide rule. It’s a great example of how incredible the people of this country are and what they’re capable of with minimal resources.

Not much else is more American than that!

Sandlord

Reaction score
My wife sold the models of the A-12 and SR-71 (new in Box) as well a bunch of stuff from the Smithsonian and her fathers collection. (cards, notepads, toys). But I took possession of Sled Driver.
456BF5D5-EACE-4D46-A8B9-941A39BF1FEB.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My wife sold the models of the A-12 and SR-71 (new in Box) as well a bunch of stuff from the Smithsonian and her fathers collection. (cards, notepads, toys). But I took possession of Sled Driver.
View attachment 1154548
Do you have any children or grandchildren to leave those too?
If not, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring😇

Very, very cool!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Did they cover the starter carts for the SR71 being Buick 401's?
The video in post #305, the guy said all the old school hot rod guys in the development phase thought the sound of the original starter carts with the Buicks was the best sound. He said when the switched out to 454's later it just wasn't the same.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Unreal story of Kelly Johnson (SR 71 designer) and how SkunkWorks got it’s name. It’s long but really well explained.

I finally watched the video at the top of his page, and the Pratt & Whitney video. Both were great.

Next up will be the kelly johnson video.

I did read the Skunk Works book by Ben Rich. It was outstanding.