WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Talk to me about Southern Utah....Area specific recommendations to look at.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I bet we’ve seen each other. These seem to be my go to spots as well.

We don't go out a ton but enjoy some good music and beers/drinks. We have had a good time at the street fest they do as well as the rodeo.

I think the fair is starting soon. Be fun to meet up there. (I bought my wife Walker Hayes tickets for Christmas)
Nice view! I’m just on the other side of the parkway in desert canyons.
View attachment 1101332
You need to have a bbq....lol

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Keep this thread going, wife is considering moving there
It's beautiful and a great place to raise a family.

Biggest issues will be income. I'f you aren't bringing money from a remote job it's going to be rough as the costs of housing are not cheap.

I would say the average price of a nice 4 bed/3 bath and 3 car garage is 600k to 700k+++ depending on location ,lot and backyard.

LOF and Ryan might have some better info over off the 7 expressway. Seems to be more value there and i imagine those houses are a little cheaper now but when everything is developed what they paid will be cheap.

2Driver

Reaction score
Anyone do the ride out to tuweep overlook. Looks like it may have been discovered thanks to youtube :)

Was considering coming up to do it and barraks

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
mid april update.

Were getting there folks. This processes isn't for the faint of heart but my hope is it will be worth it when completed. It's officially been 12 months since we did our redlining and 10 months since permits were approved. This has taken way way longer than expected but i think we are a month out at this point.

Pool has been shot creeted and equipment and panel installed. Will work towards plaster once walls are completed and gates built.

Outside cement was completed last week. Added 75x20' in the front and side yard and it turned out great. Luckily we stopped by before the pour as i had to have the forming fixed as well as the drains installed and conduit run for power that they would have missed.....I should be getting paid as my own super.

Bathrooms have been tiled.

Wall footings dug and poured and they say they will be completed next week.

Cabinets are supposed to be installed any day. My biggest hang up is going to be counter tops. They are 3-4 weeks out once templated and could careless about timeline and rumor has it they don't love our new builder of record and she isn't using them on new builds.

Also took the new pup on her first camping trip. Zoey is a 7 month old border collie / basenji hybrid. Great dog extremely trainable but she is a little too smart and stubborn at times for her own good...lol What we learned is when camping the border collie comes into play she hates leashes but stays very close and wants to be within feet of the family. My son loves to venture out and explore (rock hound his whole life) and the dog wasn't happy unless we let her off leash to go and hike with him....Stoked with how good she was.

hu1.jpg

hu2.jpg
hu3.jpg
hu4.jpg
hu5.jpg
hu6.jpg
hu7.jpg
hu8.jpg
hu9.jpg
hu10.jpg
hu11.jpg
hu12.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
mid april update.

Were getting there folks. This processes isn't for the faint of heart but my hope is it will be worth it when completed. It's officially been 12 months since we did our redlining and 10 months since permits were approved. This has taken way way longer than expected but i think we are a month out at this point.

Pool has been shot creeted and equipment and panel installed. Will work towards plaster once walls are completed and gates built.

Outside cement was completed last week. Added 75x20' in the front and side yard and it turned out great. Luckily we stopped by before the pour as i had to have the forming fixed as well as the drains installed and conduit run for power that they would have missed.....I should be getting paid as my own super.

Bathrooms have been tiled.

Wall footings dug and poured and they say they will be completed next week.

Cabinets are supposed to be installed any day. My biggest hang up is going to be counter tops. They are 3-4 weeks out once templated and could careless about timeline and rumor has it they don't love our new builder of record and she isn't using them on new builds.

Also took the new pup on her first camping trip. Zoey is a 7 month old border collie / basenji hybrid. Great dog extremely trainable but she is a little too smart and stubborn at times for her own good...lol What we learned is when camping the border collie comes into play she hates leashes but stays very close and wants to be within feet of the family. My son loves to venture out and explore (rock hound his whole life) and the dog wasn't happy unless we let her off leash to go and hike with him....Stoked with how good she was.

View attachment 1106711

View attachment 1106712 View attachment 1106713 View attachment 1106714 View attachment 1106715 View attachment 1106716 View attachment 1106717 View attachment 1106718 View attachment 1106719 View attachment 1106720 View attachment 1106721 View attachment 1106722

Looks awesome! Won’t be long now. Formica counters FTW :)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Won’t be long now. Formica counters FTW
lol...right

I actually talked to my broker and we should be good.

I have told the builder i loose my rate lock on 5/15. I know they won't hit that date but i'm going to keep the pressure on. lock is good until 5/25 and i can pay daily points that work out to about $95 daily for 15 extra dayys before it all goes to shit.

My gut says we will be in 6/1 but it gives me an extra 10 days just in case.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
lol...right

I actually talked to my broker and we should be good.

I have told the builder i loose my rate lock on 5/15. I know they won't hit that date but i'm going to keep the pressure on. lock is good until 5/25 and i can pay daily points that work out to about $95 daily for 15 extra dayys before it all goes to shit.

My gut says we will be in 6/1 but it gives me an extra 10 days just in case.

Good news.

Do they have your garage doors yet?

They just finished that 4 car RV garage house that we walked through across the street from me this week. They are firing on all cylinders over here

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Building right now is very tough on everything from relationship to bank accounts. I was told today that I'm about 2weeks out so I gave my 30 days on my rental.. your at the finish line. Looks good and good luck

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Your company hiring remote?

Most of it is remote.. IT Project Management is pretty much all remote these days. You’d do well in that.

Changing roles enabled me to move. I couldn’t do my old job presales job here.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yea I am in Aeropsace/defense MFG supply chain now. Remote is pretty hard to find too
I actually think there are a couple pretty biy aerospace companies in the area gthat might be looking for soem good people.

Intergalactic

ktech

Ram

Aside from that pretty tough area employment wise compared to home prices. Coming in with equity from a home sale offsets that a bit.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I actually think there are a couple pretty biy aerospace companies in the area gthat might be looking for soem good people.

Intergalactic

ktech

Ram

Aside from that pretty tough area employment wise compared to home prices. Coming in with equity from a home sale offsets that a bit.

Thanks man, we will be there in a few weeks to check out the area. Biggest challenge will be my job. Wife can work remote already so that is good to go

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Headed out this weekend. We want to check out the area to see if it’s somewhere we are moving to. Any places we should avoid or see?

I want to tour a few model homes. Get a feel of the people and more

Recommendations?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Headed out this weekend. We want to check out the area to see if it’s somewhere we are moving to. Any places we should avoid or see?

I want to tour a few model homes. Get a feel of the people and more

Recommendations?

I would say it just depends on what you are looking for.

Prices vary wildly depending on area and house.

LOF area (off the 7/AZ border) is what i would consider a great choice for nice good size homes for a fair price. Its a little ways from things (10-15 minutes) but alot of bang for the buck and that area is all new and will be built out in the next 5-10 years.

Dixie springs is where @plasterdave is moving. Cool area still a little ways out of town but tons of activities being by sand hollow....You will find alot of like minded transplants here.

I saw a sign that Toll brothers is building off the 7 as well but closer to sand hollow.

We are in the Washington/St george area called little valley. We really liked the area when we checked thing out

This will give you an idea of pricing as it's one of the better valued properties in the area right now.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I would say it just depends on what you are looking for.

Prices vary wildly depending on area and house.

LOF area (off the 7/AZ border) is what i would consider a great choice for nice good size homes for a fair price. Its a little ways from things (10-15 minutes) but alot of bang for the buck and that area is all new and will be built out in the next 5-10 years.

Dixie springs is where @plasterdave is moving. Cool area still a little ways out of town but tons of activities being by sand hollow....You will find alot of like minded transplants here.

I saw a sign that Toll brothers is building off the 7 as well but closer to sand hollow.

We are in the Washington/St george area called little valley. We really liked the area when we checked thing out

This will give you an idea of pricing as it's one of the better valued properties in the area right now.

This helps a lot!!!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
UT is not that inexpensive place it once was... Hard for that area job wise to reflect those prices.....
Heavy retirement community. Most everyone building in our neighborhood is older 65+ and paying cash. Seems most had a house up in salt lake as well as a vacation house here and sold both and built a final big house.

There are also a lot of spec houses being built starting around 1.1. They go fast and seems like a mix bag of who is buying. We are probably the 2nd youngest family in the neighborhood. The family that is younger (mid 30’s) has a YouTube channel with close to a million follower$$.

I think this is a great place to start a business but I agree it’s not the place to buy a 800k house and not have a good income. (That’s a bunch of places right now ,Texas,Florida,TN.

With that said are you really finding employment for a 800k house close to the IE either?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Heavy retirement community. Most everyone building in our neighborhood is older 65+ and paying cash. Seems most had a house up in salt lake as well as a vacation house here and sold both and built a final big house.

There are also a lot of spec houses being built starting around 1.1. They go fast and seems like a mix bag of who is buying. We are probably the 2nd youngest family in the neighborhood. The family that is younger (mid 30’s) has a YouTube channel with close to a million follower$$.

I think this is a great place to start a business but I agree it’s not the place to buy a 800k house and not have a good income. (That’s a bunch of places right now ,Texas,Florida,TN.

With that said are you really finding employment for a 800k house close to the IE either?
There are more opportunity in the IE or Texas for the chance of buying a 800k home due to the amount of business/jobs.... Texas is getting BIG companies moving in.

As for FL and TN, it's the same what Southern UT has. You need the money to move, but with FL there are TONS of wealthy people in general moving there, so certain areas will stay hot.

Again what is around Southern UT to keep up with the cost of housing, its the same for Havi....

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

Yep for us Orange County has priced us out. Plus add traffic, politics, taxes, schools ect we are done abs out.

We want to be driving distance to the river/desert/home(Orange County) also have good schools and families for my son 3-1/2 to grow up in.

I am planning to start my own business in st George so income will be on that plus my wife can work from home and keep her current income for stablility. We are going to sell my condo and buy a house there hopefully we like it.

My biggest concerns are

Mormons (I’ve heard horror stories)
That my wife likes the weather
Schools
Enough city growth to support my business (largely dependent on new construction)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yep for us Orange County has priced us out. Plus add traffic, politics, taxes, schools ect we are done abs out.

We want to be driving distance to the river/desert/home(Orange County) also have good schools and families for my son 3-1/2 to grow up in.

I am planning to start my own business in st George so income will be on that plus my wife can work from home and keep her current income for stablility. We are going to sell my condo and buy a house there hopefully we like it.

My biggest concerns are

Schools
Enough city growth to support my business (largely dependent on new construction)
You won’t have any issues with Mormons. Some of the nicest people with great family morals. They will keep the state conservative for a long time.

You won’t be able to change them and they won’t be able to change you. Just be respectful of there beliefs.

Weather will be a little different. It’s No oc. (It’s more like the ie)

Schools are great…literally night and day and we were in a really good Corona district.

Starting a business now based off construction would make me nervous. I have no idea what aspect of construction but I do think we are hiking pretty fast towards a weird economy.

I think construction and building will continue but I think a slowdown has to be coming.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
You won’t have any issues with Mormons. Some of the nicest people with great family morals. They will keep the state conservative for a long time.

You won’t be able to change them and they won’t be able to change you. Just be respectful of there beliefs.

Weather will be a little different. It’s No oc. (It’s more like the ie)

Schools are great…literally night and day and we were in a really good Corona district.

Starting a business now based off construction would make me nervous. I have no idea what aspect of construction but I do think we are hiking pretty fast towards a weird economy.

I think construction and building will continue but I think a slowdown has to be coming.
Yes, that part makes me nervous. It’s not solely based on construction existing home need it too but new homes is an easier sell.

The one thing I have read about the Mormon community is they can Exclude doing business with you because you are not Mormon. I hope that part is not true. But yes very nice family oriented people. My best friend is Mormon lol

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I think the water shortage is going to be a huge factor in construction slowdown

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
There are more opportunity in the IE or Texas for the chance of buying a 800k home due to the amount of business/jobs.... Texas is getting BIG companies moving in.

As for FL and TN, it's the same what Southern UT has. You need the money to move, but with FL there are TONS of wealthy people in general moving there, so certain areas will stay hot.

Again what is around Southern UT to keep up with the cost of housing, its the same for Havi....

I think there are opportunities in the big cities in tx or closer to the coast in ca.

I would say in general housing/income is pretty skewed across the entire country.

Just have to do what works best for the family.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yes, that part makes me nervous. It’s not solely based on construction existing home need it too but new homes is an easier sell.

The one thing I have read about the Mormon community is they can Exclude doing business with you because you are not Mormon. I hope that part is not true. But yes very nice family oriented people. My best friend is Mormon lol

I don’t know if “exclude” is the right word. They likely prefer to do the business within their Mormon network if they had to choose. I see no issue with that.

If the world comes to an end make friends with a Mormon. They’ve already got the plan in place from logistics to food to wealth. Mormons have the infrastructure to outlast any of it lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I t

No direct experience there. People have been very nice but I'm not trying to network or sell them anything.

I could see them choosing someone they have known for a long time that is part off the church. With that said if you do it better and offer something they need i don't know if it will matter.

Good news is you are selling the condo high. If things plummet RE wise Condos are always the first to get hammered and if you bought a reasonable place here in a area that is growing (LOF area) and you don't plan to sell in the next 5-10 years you could end up $$$ ahead RE wise.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
We are going to make 300% on the condo from what we purchased it for. So finically speaking this is a smart move for us. Biggest unknown is the economy for me. But as long as st George expieriencs growth we will be ok

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Ja

My biggest concerns are

Schools
Keep in mind, Mormons like to work and give work to other Mormons. Keep that in mind.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We are going to make 300% on the condo from what we purchased it for. So finically speaking this is a smart move for us. Biggest unknown is the economy for me. But as long as st George expieriencs growth we will be ok
Oh it's gonna continue to grow. If for no other reason than mormons love making kids...lol

I saw a video that showed that Utah is one of only a few states that is trending in the right direction population wise where they will need all the house they can build. If development slows than there will be another housing issue where supply/demand will be an issue down the line.

The only thing i would say this area is terrible for is if you are single (just no dating pool for older people) or if you are looking for alot of nighttime entertainment. Vegas is close for that but not a ton of action in town after say midnight. (I'm too old for that anyways and i have no plans of divorcing so these are non factors for me..haha)

Just cruise out and spend sometime driving the different areas. If nothing else you get a nice quick get away and some beautiful views.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
We are really liking Hurricane right now. This is up by sand hollow. (Lake was packed BTW)

Down off the 7 (south) is very nice as well

One area we didn’t like is red trails (directly east from the lake) felt way out on the beaten path

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We are really liking Hurricane right now. This is up by sand hollow. (Lake was packed BTW)

Down off the 7 (south) is very nice as well

One area we didn’t like is red trails (directly east from the lake) felt way out on the beaten path
Jump in, just get itch cream. Lol.

Singleton

Reaction score
Wife said last night she could see us relocation to the St George area. We have friends looking to move in 4 years (once oldest grandkids are out of HS - they start HS in the fall). I asked her, when will she be ready. She is the reason we are still in SoCal. Her response, when my knee replacement surgeries are done (dr told her within 3 years both will have to be done) and I can’t play beach volleyball anymore or after the kid graduates HS (8years).

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
End of May update...Final stretch hopefully we are in the house prior to the 17th.

Most everything is done.

Not sure i have stressed yet how crappy building a house in this environment is. Missed deadlines and promises are normal if not expected. Delays in materials are a major issue. I' have been waiting on backyard cement for 3 weeks as evidently there is a powder shortage and they are rationing who gets what. Thank goodness my walls went in a month ago because now block is impossible to get.

Basically don't build a house...haha

Good news is countertops, carpet and all plumbing has been completed. Garage doors showed up on Tuesday and fingers crossed electrical and rain gutters will be done this week. The cabinet guy was one of my favorite vendors that we didn't think we would have an issue with yet he is the one that has fucked us the hardest. Cabinets took a month longer than expected and i still don't have my doors even though they said they were being stained last week. Other builds in the neighborhood have chosen to go elsewhere as he is 1-2 months behind and they can no longer wait.

Cafe appliances and new washer and dryer are hopefully showing today.

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
End of May update...Final stretch hopefully we are in the house prior to the 17th.

Most everything is done.

Not sure i have stressed yet how crappy building a house in this environment is. Missed deadlines and promises are normal if not expected. Delays in materials are a major issue. I' have been waiting on backyard cement for 3 weeks as evidently there is a powder shortage and they are rationing who gets what. Thank goodness my walls went in a month ago because now block is impossible to get.

Good news is countertops, carpet and all plumbing has been completed. Garage doors showed up on Tuesday and fingers crossed electrical and rain gutters will be done this week. The cabinet guy was one of my favorite vendors that we didn't think we would have an issue with yet he is the one that has fucked us the hardest. Cabinets took a month longer than expected and i still don't have my doors even though they said they were being stained last week. Other builds in the neighborhood have chosen to go elsewhere as he is 1-2 months behind and they can no longer wait.
When will you get the to close?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Most everything is done.

2CCEB50A-A027-4BB3-A3E9-68531ED2CD87.jpeg
52039A57-9C5B-4BC7-B956-DF2AD818DF95.jpeg
6EFB603B-6E2A-4F12-B586-0CACA6112430.jpeg
A501AB5F-1A7A-4A88-AA21-F9D3092FD1CD.jpeg
6141AAF0-9840-4388-93B3-95F2AA8C1602.jpeg
62C68742-67F2-4E2E-AEAD-4E2E23221DF5.jpeg
41A9025E-01CA-4657-B22B-FEB7BDC51504.jpeg
26F590E5-B8A7-40A0-9E90-07177F9CB85F.jpeg
385CA247-43BA-4E8C-B954-048650BBDC5A.jpeg
3B0CA519-AE75-4E51-84D3-7105360B8429.jpeg
1FA2059B-5056-4F7D-BAEF-4F0031DD5C28.jpeg
97EBBE20-F674-42CF-9011-669E59A6012C.jpeg
479775F4-2622-487F-BEF5-ECD5A231C148.jpeg
00C6D689-C829-4788-85EF-E838AC7243BD.jpeg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
When will you get the to close?
That's the million dollar question...lol

I think we will get our COO early to mid next week. The office guy is supposed to have the numbers worked out this week. My mortgage team is great and we are just waiting but in all honesty the builder has been pretty bad and it doesent seem like they are in any rush to close these things out.

The house is turning out great because we are in town and i have basically been my own super but i don't even want to think how it would be going if you weren't there to check on the work daily.

1 -2 star experience for sure.

RCDave

Reaction score
That's the million dollar question...lol

I think we will get our COO early to mid next week. The office guy is supposed to have the numbers worked out this week. My mortgage team is great and we are just waiting but in all honesty the builder has been pretty bad and it doesent seem like they are in any rush to close these things out.

The house is turning out great because we are in town and i have basically been my own super but i don't even want to think how it would be going if you weren't there to check on the work daily.

1 -2 star experience for sure.
: ( The house looks amazing though

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Damn looks nice!!!!! That is the style we want to build when we move there too
Thanks

The appraisal should come in around 950k

I will be 825k with pool and backyard and it would absolutely cost 150k++ more to build today.

Wait a little and buy i think the developers and builders have lost there minds a tad and by the time something was complete the market could be very different.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Th
Thanks

The appraisal should come in around 950k

I will be 825k with pool and backyard and it would absolutely cost 150k++ more to build today.

Wait a little and buy i think the developers and builders have lost there minds a tad and by the time something was complete the market could be very different.
Thats exactly our plan. When we visited a few weeks ago they were practically begging us to get into a finished/almost finished house. Even lowering the price by 10-30k right there with zero negotiations on my part. I think that whole area will drop some. Not alot but some. Demand is still high.

Sooner I can find a job that allows me to live/work there. We are out. Wife’s work has signed off on her moving and working remotely with driving to vegas 1-3 times a month for the day