WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Talk to me about Southern Utah....Area specific recommendations to look at.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Toying with the idea of a move. Nothing set in stone just doing my due diligence at this point.

Wife has family in St. George as well as Washington so I have been quite a few times and really like the area.

I like the Hurricane/Washington area and would like some feedback on people with real world experience with the different areas. (schools, neighbors,ets...)

The dixie Springs area close to sand hollow looks pretty cool. Based on the activities and home types it seems like a good fit. I have zero issue with LDS (wifes family are mormon) but we aren't religious and would prefer a nice spread of "people"

would like 1/4 acre minimum , 2500ish sq foot single story and a big ass garage.

Something like this would work...lol

D19

Reaction score
I have watched a few of his videos. I like the double RV garages. It's beautiful up there. The view from the back of some of these homes are incredible.

$500k!

Andy B.

Reaction score
If you move to Washington find a smaller town. I would recommend Couer D alene it's only 40 minutes from Spokane.
Personally my vote is for Utah spend time in each place see for yourself. Good luck!!

HBCraig

Reaction score
Toying with the idea of a move. Nothing set in stone just doing my due diligence at this point.

Wife has family in St. George as well as Washington so I have been quite a few times and really like the area.

I like the Hurricane/Washington area and would like some feedback on people with real world experience with the different areas. (schools, neighbors,ets...)

The dixie Springs area close to sand hollow looks pretty cool. Based on the activities and home types it seems like a good fit. I have zero issue with LDS (wifes family are mormon) but we aren't religious and would prefer a nice spread of "people"

would like 1/4 acre minimum , 2500ish sq foot single story and a big ass garage.

Something like this would work...lol

@TITTIES AND BEER knows this area well. I really like The Ledges area. Nice home with great views.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
If you move to Washington find a smaller town. I would recommend Couer D alene it's only 40 minutes from Spokane.
Personally my vote is for Utah spend time in each place see for yourself. Good luck!!

Sorry Washington Utah..... I would never move to the state of Washington even though I have been and it's beautiful there. The rain and politics suck

desrtrat256

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time up there for work. I moved to Havasu 5 years ago from Escondido CA (northern San Diego). I like Havasu so far but Washington/Hurricane/Dixie Springs is on the short list for the next stop. The people up there are so friendly, even compared to Havasu. Quite a few friends have made the move and absolutely love it. They like the Elementary school in Washington and one buddies wife is a teacher there. I dont have the wife/kid problem but the riding and exploring up there is endless.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
St George is something like the 5th fastest growing city in the USA... 29% growth. That speaks to what it has to offer... It has about 180K people compared to something like Lake Havasu at 55K.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Ivans/Santa Clara seems like a pretty cool little spot right out of St George

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have watched a few of his videos. I like the double RV garages. It's beautiful up there. The view from the back of some of these homes are incredible.

$500k!

His videos stopped about a year ago. I wonder what the price increase has been in the time period?

JD D05

Reaction score
I have a bunch of good friends down there. I would be happy to ask them the better areas to move into.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
St George is something like the 5th fastest growing city in the USA... 29% growth. That speaks to what it has to offer... It has about 180K people compared to something like Lake Havasu at 55K.

I'm betting that utah will be one of the last west coast conservative states. Seems most of the people moving there share similar beliefs as opposed to AZ,Nevada or Texas.

Economy looks great and the people are super nice and family oriented.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time up there for work. I moved to Havasu 5 years ago from Escondido CA (northern San Diego). I like Havasu so far but Washington/Hurricane/Dixie Springs is on the short list for the next stop. The people up there are so friendly, even compared to Havasu. Quite a few friends have made the move and absolutely love it. They like the Elementary school in Washington and one buddies wife is a teacher there. I dont have the wife/kid problem but the riding and exploring up there is endless.

I love Havasu but I don't want to live there. I need a little separation from home/party....lol

Temperature is a little more mild in S. utah and we love the outdoors. The food scene has improved greatly over the past 20 years i have been visiting and I think that will continue to improve with the transplants.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I'm betting that utah will be one of the last west coast conservative states. Economy looks great and the people are super nice and family oriented.

I am a big fan of Southern Utah... I have 4 acres a few hours east of St George. But its pretty cold there right now, I was up there a couple weeks ago in the "teens" and prefer to stay down south until its above 35 for the low.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

$500k!

House is about perfect.....aside from maybe cabinet color/countertops i would be pretty dang happy...lol

I don't need a gigantic back yard but i need enough.

Reactions: D19

attitude

Reaction score
Subscribe, my girlfriend and I are strongly considering a move there. Would love to have a house with an RV garage that’s only a couple minutes from a lake and sand dunes. I think it would also be a cool area for our kids to grow up as there would so much for them to do with outdoor activities so close to home.

desrtrat256

Reaction score
I love Havasu but I don't want to live there. I need a little separation from home/party....lol

Temperature is a little more mild in S. utah and we love the outdoors. The food scene has improved greatly over the past 20 years i have been visiting and I think that will continue to improve with the transplants.

Agreed on the food. Lonny Boys is great BBQ and there is a new Mexican food restaurant there that is better than any Havasu Mexican food.

We were just up there a few weeks ago and as odd as it sounds, the cold up there is different than Havasu or So Cal cold. I actually had to put pants and shoes on. I could be very content with a few acres and a shop with an apartment in it. There is a few private airports communities up there that are pretty interesting as well. The more I explore, the more I like it. If you are into off Roading, there is a great ride to the North Rim.

2Driver

Reaction score
We’ve been looking at homes there the past 6 months.

If you want an acre in the 1m range the homes are huge square foot wise. Guess its all the Morman kids, most have sewing rooms and a piano room. We are looking up in Ivans, but want under 3700 sq ft

Grand Junction is worth the look too on the south side of 70 and its an easy winter about like Prescott. Heavy outpost of republicans and close to great country.

2Driver

Reaction score
We’d be there if we had gotten this.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We looked a few years ago. Just not much to do once you finish off-roading and site seeing. So after a year what are you going to do. More than likely traveling outside the area.

Also places to go out to eat and have a good time is limited. At least 3 years ago it was.

Watch out for the sand hollow itch. It will get you in the summer

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Subscribe, my girlfriend and I are strongly considering a move there. Would love to have a house with an RV garage that’s only a couple minutes from a lake and sand dunes. I think it would also be a cool area for our kids to grow up as there would so much for them to do with outdoor activities so close to home.

Big garage is mandatory....

Beautiful.....we play with different pocketbooks but i'm a good cook and like to party so make sure you invite me over when you move...haha

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
We looked a few years ago. Just not much to do once you finish off-roading and site seeing. So after a year what are you going to do. More than likely traveling outside the area.

Also places to go out to eat and have a good time is limited. At least 3 years ago it was.

Watch out for the sand hollow itch. It will get you in the summer

Where do you live and what do you do there?

Aside from the beach , fancy malls and over priced resturants I can't think of a single thing so cal would have over s.utah?

I don't really like the beach ,malls or fancy resturants...haha

I do like vegas but that is closer.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
talk to me about cost of living?

Looks like property tax on a 550k house would be about 3k a year if i'm doing it right? (half od where i'm at)

I pay about $1800 a year in registration fees for 5 cars. Looks like it would be closer to $400 in utah.

i imagine food would be close. Gas a little better, how are utilities?

Richard.E

Reaction score
Hurricane has some really nice options. Check out the houses by the airport, Lots of solid lots ready to build on.

Richard.E

Reaction score
what do you think of the dixie springs area? Is it just me or should there be concerns about the resivor breaking and killing everyone...haha
Lol. I would be more worried about the wind over there than the dam breaking.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I like Utah. I don't want to live there because I'm a Mormon. Seems counterintuitive but just didn't want to live or raise my kids there. I wanted my kids to see what the rest of the world is like and let them decide if they believe in what I do. I do love visiting and enjoying the land that it is. Anyways, getting off topic here.

Only advice I have is, DON'T CALIFORNIA MY UTAH!!!!!! The people and their beliefs is what has made that place what it is and the desirable place that people are flocking to. Don't go there and piss and moan about the Mormons and Pioneers. They built it into what it is today. Respect it, enjoy it and don't try to change it. They will welcome anybody, just don't try to change it.

Not that you would do any of those things. Just think that should be a standard when anybody moves out of state. I guess I'm watching too much Yellowstone right now, lol.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I like Utah. I don't want to live there because I'm a Mormon. Seems counterintuitive but just didn't want to live or raise my kids there. I wanted my kids to see what the rest of the world is like and let them decide if they believe in what I do. I do love visiting and enjoying the land that it is. Anyways, getting off topic here.

Only advice I have is, DON'T CALIFORNIA MY UTAH!!!!!! The people and their beliefs is what has made that place what it is and the desirable place that people are flocking to. Don't go there and piss and moan about the Mormons and Pioneers. They built it into what it is today. Respect it, enjoy it and don't try to change it. They will welcome anybody, just don't try to change it.

Not that you would do any of those things. Just think that should be a standard when anybody moves out of state. I guess I'm watching too much Yellowstone right now, lol.

100% agree

My wife stepped away from the church at age 16 but I love the core values it instilled in her.

Most of her family are still members and they have been nothing but welcoming to me since 1999 when we started dating. They respect me and the life we have built and how happy we are. They don't even seem that bothered when i drink in the parking lot of the church when we attend family weddings...haha

Honestly i was born more AZ,Texas and utah than CA I have just been living in the wrong state my whole life. Utha will allow me to bring my illegal CA guns right?:D

phuggit

Reaction score
You should have never sold the JK! Now I'll be looking towards a new build once you move to America.

Good luck!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

That's a beautiful home and property 👍

D19

Reaction score
House is about perfect.....aside from maybe cabinet color/countertops i would be pretty dang happy...lol

I don't need a gigantic back yard but i need enough.

X2 and I prefer a longer driveway.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have a buddy that moved to St. George about a decade or so ago. He had a rough go of it at first, not being mormon at all, but he didn't' give up...

Today he has a pretty busy auto repair business that I think is doing Quite well. He lives on the outskirts of town. His back yard butts up against federal land, so his view is of meadows and hillsides.

He's pretty happy up there. 👍

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Seems really nice and not too far away from family. Might have to consider this too.............with 5 kids, we should fit in just fine.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Seems really nice and not too far away from family. Might have to consider this too.............with 5 kids, we should fit in just fine.

They will 100% think you are mormon...haha

1.5 hours to vegas
5 hours to so cal
4 hours to havasu
6.5 hours to phoenix

I honestly can't think of another location that offers things i like while still being close in a state that will continue to walk the line.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
You should have never sold the JK! Now I'll be looking towards a new build once you move to America.

Good luck!

I sold it at the right time.

Built jen a pretty nice silverado trailboss that mobs. Definitely not a jeep in the rocks but works pretty good.

Who know maybe ditch the mustang and build a new Bronco or a JL down the line.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We’ve been looking at homes there the past 6 months.

If you want an acre in the 1m range the homes are huge square foot wise. Guess its all the Morman kids, most have sewing rooms and a piano room. We are looking up in Ivans, but want under 3700 sq ft

Grand Junction is worth the look too on the south side of 70 and its an easy winter about like Prescott. Heavy outpost of republicans and close to great country.

It gets colder than a well diggers asshole in Junction during the winter. A natual inversion sets up along the river and the cold air just sinks in there and stays.

Moab actually has nice winters if you are looking as far east as Grand Junction.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
what's the weather like there?

we're in the same boat... but was thinking more hardcore and going to Wymong or Montana (those will prob be the longest standing conservative states in the US) but damn it gets cold. Utah is on the radar..... but would want at least 1/2acre to 1 acre lot sizes. House only needs to be around 2500-3Ksqft.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
what do you think of the dixie springs area? Is it just me or should there be concerns about the resivor breaking and killing everyone...haha
I said that when they built it there 🤔😳

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

we're in the same boat... but was thinking more hardcore and going to Wymong or Montana (those will prob be the longest standing conservative states in the US) but damn it gets cold. Utah is on the radar..... but would want at least 1/2acre to 1 acre lot sizes. House only needs to be around 2500-3Ksqft.

Actually looks pretty similar to what we are used to in the Corona/Riverside area. Maybe not quite as hot at the peak and a little colder where you get some light snow dustings a couple times a year.

Houses are strange there. Either 2400 single story 4 bedrooms or gigantic 3900 6+ bedrooms for all the kids.

You can find some big lots with homes that are say 10-20 years old in hurricane for under 550K. The problem is regular garages and what I would consider houses that need work to become present day.

New big house with rv garage on a 1+ acre lot you are talking 800K +++ at a minimum

You gotta be pretty hardcore and love the cold to head to Montana and Wyoming. The older i get the less i like cold so i couldn't make it there..lol

Richard.E

Reaction score
2nd time I have heard about Hurriccan winds...I'm starting to think the name was given for a reason...haha

How bad are we talking?

3-4 days a month it’s blowing pretty good. But besides that it’s no big deal.

All depends on which direction your house is facing.
IMG_8555.jpg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
2nd time I have heard about Hurriccan winds...I'm starting to think the name was given for a reason...haha

How bad are we talking?
Nope what I heard was Cain and Abel was walking through Utah Cain was falling behind so Abel said hurricane hurricane that’s the truth I heard 😎👍

Richard.E

Reaction score

Coldest it gets is the 20's. Wind sucks but its not everyday in the winter time. Summers it gets to the low 110's