WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Talk to me about Southern Utah....Area specific recommendations to look at.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
100% agree

My wife stepped away from the church at age 16 but I love the core values it instilled in her.

Most of her family are still members and they have been nothing but welcoming to me since 1999 when we started dating. They respect me and the life we have built and how happy we are. They don't even seem that bothered when i drink in the parking lot of the church when we attend family weddings...haha

Honestly i was born more AZ,Texas and utah than CA I have just been living in the wrong state my whole life. Utha will allow me to bring my illegal CA guns right?:D

Haha, love your perspective. Yes, they'll allow your illegal guns and parking lot drinking, lol.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Been looking casually at this area as well. Same distance to Havasu from here in So Cal.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Toying with the idea of a move. Nothing set in stone just doing my due diligence at this point.

Wife has family in St. George as well as Washington so I have been quite a few times and really like the area.

I like the Hurricane/Washington area and would like some feedback on people with real world experience with the different areas. (schools, neighbors,ets...)

The dixie Springs area close to sand hollow looks pretty cool. Based on the activities and home types it seems like a good fit. I have zero issue with LDS (wifes family are mormon) but we aren't religious and would prefer a nice spread of "people"

would like 1/4 acre minimum , 2500ish sq foot single story and a big ass garage.

Something like this would work...lol

Do it. Cash out on top. Don't wait.
We are still very happy with leaving Cali. We don't even like visiting Cali anymore but still do. When we are there all we can do is think about going home. We feel like we are living in the good ol USA.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
The wife and I have also been considering SW Utah as I could still fly into Ontario once or twice a month for work. And we are currently looking to acquire another company in the Utah or Nevada area.

Richard.E

Reaction score
I just turned down a very generous offer to return to California for a new job just yesterday. I don't miss paying the cost of living or dealing with the loonies. Said thanks, but no thanks. Utah is ideal. But please don't come here and ruin it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Where do you live and what do you do there?

Aside from the beach , fancy malls and over priced resturants I can't think of a single thing so cal would have over s.utah?

I don't really like the beach ,malls or fancy resturants...haha

I do like vegas but that is closer.

We don’t. Was looking at relocating from Rancho Cucamonga along with our material handling business.

There was just not much to do. I don’t like malls and shopping either , but the wife does. I do like to go out and eat have a couple of drinks. I hate the beach but love the ocean. Don’t snow ski either.

We also found that there was not enough other business to support our business and stuff would have needed to come from Vegas. Also we had to fly out of Vegas to travel.

Kind of felt like Mars to me. Beautiful to visit and spend weeks at a time. But not to live. Kind of like Havasu.

Have family that moved to cedar City from the high desert. Not much of a change for them. Just now they get snow.

But I get it. That’s why we spent almost 3 weeks in Texas just recently. Got to do something and trying to find that happy medium and we believe Texas is for us.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
sweet....with everyone moving there we won't even need new friends..lol

vegas and salt lake seem like the only real car/track options?

Wonder how the car scene is?

Yea I was wondering about that too. Vegas is closest certainly. Havasu and SLC are both 300ish miles away, if/when the Motorsport park gets built there.

I’d certainly want an RV garage and hopefully a main bay with 10 foot ceilings so I could get a lift in there. That appears to be a nearly lateral move price wise for a new or newish house that is 3x the size.

EmpirE231

Reaction score

Actually looks pretty similar to what we are used to in the Corona/Riverside area. Maybe not quite as hot at the peak and a little colder where you get some light snow dustings a couple times a year.

Houses are strange there. Either 2400 single story 4 bedrooms or gigantic 3900 6+ bedrooms for all the kids.

You can find some big lots with homes that are say 10-20 years old in hurricane for under 550K. The problem is regular garages and what I would consider houses that need work to become present day.

New big house with rv garage on a 1+ acre lot you are talking 800K +++ at a minimum

You gotta be pretty hardcore and love the cold to head to Montana and Wyoming. The older i get the less i like cold so i couldn't make it there..lol

That doesn't sound so bad... I like a little more rural style living rather than tracts.... but don't want to be miles away from anything.

One thing for certain, is definitely want out of CA.

JD D05

Reaction score
sweet....with everyone moving there we won't even need new friends..lol

vegas and salt lake seem like the only real car/track options?

Wonder how the car scene is?

Cdog

Reaction score

Is Miller still open?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I'm in Hurricane by the airport. Moved here from AZ a few months back. I shoulda met up with you for the Sand Hollow run after Turkey Day but I didn't see your reply in time.
Are you at Sky Ranch ?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
So June-mid sept. 105-110?
62EEFEFF-B020-497F-8BA4-3864A30F57D3.png

Cobalt232

Reaction score
It gets colder than a well diggers asshole in Junction during the winter. A natual inversion sets up along the river and the cold air just sinks in there and stays.

Moab actually has nice winters if you are looking as far east as Grand Junction.
My wife grew up in Grand Junction. Her dad still lives there. The winters are fine and much milder than to the east towards Glenwood Springs where I lived for a couple of years. The problem is that to me, GJ is just not an attractive place especially in the winter.

cole_skier

Reaction score
We love it here, been here 25 years now. The whole area is great. Just remember Hurricane came by it’s name for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
They will 100% think you are mormon...haha

1.5 hours to vegas
5 hours to so cal
4 hours to havasu
6.5 hours to phoenix

I honestly can't think of another location that offers things i like while still being close in a state that will continue to walk the line.

Houses definitely aren't cheap, but looks like we can spend up to $600K and keep same payment as we have here with the reduced property taxes. New development south of the regional airport looks really nice.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Houses definitely aren't cheap, but looks like we can spend up to $600K and keep same payment as we have here with the reduced property taxes. New development south of the regional airport looks really nice.

The way i figure it is its probably a wash for me between here and there. Like you the property tax and income tax will save me close to 1k a month.

Thats going from a 1600 sq foot house built in 1994 to a new house with 2400 sq foot.

I would probably put 200k down finance 350-400 and put it on a 15 year like the current house. Right now i over pay the mortgage by $400 a month i probably wouldn't need to do that and maybe look at some cheaper rental properties to get in on before utah goes nuts.

The parks and outdoor activities are huge there compared to what we get here. Last time I was there we went and watched our neice play soccer at a field that absolutely shit on anything we get here. When we were at the game i was sitting next to Shawn Bradley the ex nba player....pretty funny

2Driver

Reaction score
The paved dedicated bike paths around town are incredible. 3.5 hours to Powell doesn’t suck either.
Be nice if summers were cooler. Looks as warm as Carefree. Hmm maybe I’m chasing rainbows.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
So what's the downside / catch to Hurricane?

Google says weather is very similar to Riverside area... actually better, not as hot, but a little colder in the lows. Also says some wind from may-june.... are we talking hurricane winds, or similar to santa ana's?

This place looks awesome

Done-it-again

Reaction score
When we were looking in Hurricane/St.George. It was hot as balls, hotter than the IE. The above report is BS in my opinion.

You really need to see for yourself in winter and summer at any place your are thinking about moving too.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
When we were looking in Hurricane/St.George. It was hot as balls, hotter than the IE. The above report is BS in my opinion.

You really need to see for yourself in winter and summer at any place your are thinking about moving too.

It was 115 in the IE this summer...lol

The heat will be similar and the cold will be 5-8 degrees less during the winter.

We are headed out next friday and its supposed to be cold this next week. lows around 28 highs around 45.

Maybe a dusting of snow.

Reactions: Wmc

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
So what's the downside / catch to Hurricane?

Google says weather is very similar to Riverside area... actually better, not as hot, but a little colder in the lows. Also says some wind from may-june.... are we talking hurricane winds, or similar to santa ana's?

This place looks awesome

Cool place!

I have talked to a couple people and they said Hurricane is windy. They said expect 3-5 days a month of pretty decent wind.

Maybe some of the RDP folks that are more knowledgeable can expand.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

The heat will be similar and the cold will be 5-8 degrees less during the winter.

We are headed out next friday and its supposed to be cold this next week. lows around 28 highs around 45.

Maybe a dusting of snow.
If you’re like me, I can’t live without a decent Mexican food joint to go to on occasion.
I had quite possibly the worst Mexican food ever in Moab. I’m hoping it’s not as bad in other parts.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
As if wind isn't a factor anywhere in the deserts southwest? I know it's never windy in Havasu.....unless Throttle is on town 😊😁
It's honestly time to do a USA tour like Tom and find nirvana.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Cool place!

I have talked to a couple people and they said Hurricane is windy. They said expect 3-5 days a month of pretty decent wind.

Maybe some of the RDP folks that are more knowledgeable can expand.

I liked this place, but wife is not sold on it.

It is saying something when your $ doesn't go as far moving out of state.... used to be that you could sell your CA home and move to another one of these "fly over states" and pay cash for the new place and still bank some money. Real estate in Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho has gone through the roof.

would be awesome to find a place where your money went a little further.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
As if wind isn't a factor anywhere in the deserts southwest? I know it's never windy in Havasu.....unless Throttle is on town 😊😁
It's honestly time to do a USA tour like Tom and find nirvana.
Better get it done before fuel prices double. 🤨

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

It is saying something when your $ doesn't go as far moving out of state.... used to be that you could sell your CA home and move to another one of these "fly over states" and pay cash for the new place and still bank some money. Real estate in Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho has gone through the roof.

preach...lol

2 years ago that would have been 100k+ cheaper.

I actually think if you buy the right house in the right area they will continue to climb more so than my house in corona. For some reason i actually feel like my area is a steal. Its gone up but nothing like shitty OC areas or even places further south down the 15.

Either way i'm screwed. Remember i bought in 2006 for 550k and easily have put 80K++ into my house to hopefully sell it for close to 600k. I'm basically trading an older 1994 1600 sq foot house for a new nicer 2500 sq foot house with a bigger garage for the same price/payment.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score

It's all in your perspective. That still looks like a bargain to me @ $625K but according to Zillow its valued @ 500K. That would be in the $2M-$3M range in most areas of Orange County. The reason those states you listed the price going thru the roof is mostly from Californians going there and paying cash at whatever price regardless of the appraised value, making all other homes in the area higher in price.

2Driver

Reaction score
Aug 2020, geez I was hoping to get out of the excessive shit, Nights do cool off a bit more than the river but not open window cool

BB6EEBDF-D9C7-43E3-A0CB-842AADCFFF4D.png

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Aug 2020, geez I was hoping to get out of the excessive shit, Nights do cool off a bit more than the river but not open window cool

View attachment 965120

last year was weird hot everywhere. If you are looking for 90 degree summers i don't think its the place.

Everyone chip in for a couple mini splits for my garage and ill supply the BBQ and drinks. We can man cave it as a group...lol

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Maybe a dusting of snow.

So if it's 115 here its hotter their..... It's not the same weather, just saying.... Now if you go to Cedar City, then yes cooler. I would prefer Cedar City vs St George area just became it has more greenery.......

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
So if it's 115 here its hotter their..... It's not the same weather, just saying.... Now if you go to Cedar City, then yes cooler. I would prefer Cedar City vs St George area just became it has more greenery.......

I think it gets a tad hotter here...

We had some 115-118 days last summer. granted that wasn't normal.

He just posted there high was 110.

I would say heat is a wash...Either ways its not 125 like havasu.

Cedar city is beautiful we went to a wedding at the temple (didn't really go because we aren't allowed inside) and the are is amazing. Some awesome houses and properties. Wifes family said it snows a whole bunch there so i immediately removed it from my list. I also don't think there is an economy if you need to earn a living but perhaps great for retirement?

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score

Cedar city is beautiful we went to a wedding at the temple (didn't really go because we aren't allowed inside) and the are is amazing. Some awesome houses and properties. Wifes family said it snows a whole bunch there so i immediately removed it from my list. I also don't think there is an economy if you need to earn a living but perhaps great for retirement?
We are in CC , As for snow we didn’t get shit this year we can see the temple from our place “ the big dick on the hill “ 😂😎

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Some amazing places right there. i loved the combo of mountains and trees.

How much would a normal year bring?

Can you shoot on your property?
one year 3’ mostly 1 1/2-2” yes we can shoot here you have to be 350’ from nearest house we have 5 ac I’m going to put a small shooting range out back this spring

Done-it-again

Reaction score

We did, so you can imagine what UT saw and the terrain is similar to Havasu, more rock and not a lot of green to cool things off. But you have some altitude.

I hope you find what you are looking for.... We are struggling doing the same but should be buying land in TX this weekend.... At least UT does not have humidity, yuk.....

Nothing is going to compare to CA.

What do you do for a living? have you looked to see what jobs are in the area?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
We’d be there if we had gotten this.

That is an awesome house

2Driver

Reaction score
I have watched a few of his videos. I like the double RV garages. It's beautiful up there. The view from the back of some of these homes are incredible.

$500k!

Looks like the train left the station on that pricing.

50B55B97-F4C6-4333-9BAB-2DA8DA517308.jpeg

Singleton

Reaction score
Looks like the train left the station on that pricing.

View attachment 965393

that is the problem I am having.
Purchased a 2200sf 3 car garage house 1.5 miles from Carlsbad beach and walking distance to elem, middle and high school. Perfect location. Picked it up for 600k and I am having a hard time convincing myself to spend more then that somewhere else. My cheap ass does not want to pay current home prices in other states, but know they will keep going up.