WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Talk to me about Southern Utah....Area specific recommendations to look at.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
@Cole Trickle what would the "river" plan be for the new location? Looks like Washington UT is between Powell and Mead, around 2 1/2 hours either direction?

I imagine havasu would still be our go to with my dad living there full time. I imagine we would sprinkle in some mead and powell trips as well.

Might even try and pick up a older cheap ski boat to use at the sand hollow resi that is 10 minutes away.

Realistically we have moved on a tad from the river/lake. With logan playing club soccer its pretty full time so we were only able to make it out 3 times in the last two years. We have been doing a;lot more overlanding/camping as a family I'm just over the crowds and like to stay away from people and relax...lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Does your 640K build cost include the lot?

yes,

lot is 165
build is 451 + upgrades

They have a 0.41 acre corner culdesac lot in the same area for 250k that was available last week but its a tad above my pay grade and maybe a little more than i need...basically i just cant justify the extra 80k..lol

The lot i chose is 115 deep by 100 wide . With the set back it will still give me 8' on one side and 20+ on the rv garage side for rv/boat parking. Backyard will be roughly 25' deep from the back of the house. It won't be as big as my current yard but that's because i currently have a 1600" house. New lot is bigger but house footprint with garage is way bigger.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
@Cole Trickle what would the "river" plan be for the new location? Looks like Washington UT is between Powell and Mead, around 2 1/2 hours either direction?

Havasu is slightly closer for me in Southern Utah. It is 300 miles door to door now, and that is fighting the 91 and Cajon traffic. It looks to be 260 to 280 door to door from
Southern Utah and that drive is easier and more consistently “less busy” than my current route. This location 100% fits for my Havasu and Vegas travels.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
yes,

lot is 165
build is 451 + upgrades

They have a 0.41 acre corner culdesac lot in the same area for 250k that was available last week but its a tad above my pay grade and maybe a little more than i need...basically i just cant justify the extra 80k..lol

The lot i chose is 115 deep by 100 wide . With the set back it will still give me 8' on one side and 20+ on the rv garage side for rv/boat parking. Backyard will be roughly 25' deep from the back of the house. It won't be as big as my current yard but that's because i currently have a 1600" house. New lot is bigger but house footprint with garage is way bigger.

gotcha! definitely got my wheels turning...... just would love to have more space between neighbors etc.
currently where I'm at it is 1 acre minimums, with all newer stuff at 5 acres... This area is kinda the holy grail of Riverside lol... but as soon as I get out of our little pocket area, I am quickly reminded how much I hate the rest of the city and state more and more everyday.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Havasu is slightly closer for me in Southern Utah. It is 300 miles door to door now, and that is fighting the 91 and Cajon traffic. It looks to be 260 to 280 door to door from
Southern Utah and that drive is easier and more consistently “less busy” than my current route. This location 100% fits for my Havasu and Vegas travels.
Plus your not limited on wives. Yore bank account may be though

Taboma

Reaction score
As a kid that was born and raised off Irvine blvd and prospect in tustin I knew you were a baller when you showed the house and location you grew up at....haha :cool: :p

When dad buys in North Tustin in the middle of orange groves in 1953, that's not baller status. 😂 The HS I attended we were nicknamed by some surrounding communities we competed against as "The White Fat Little Rich Kids ". This came from all the real money, the Rocket Scientists that worked at North American Rockwell back in the 60's. Now they lived in the baller-hoods, we lived on the other side of Esplanade , just ask Boatdoc55, he knows. 👍 My dad was a county electrical inspector and as was the norm in those days, mom took care of the house.

In 78' I moved to San Diego, so I could afford to buy a house --- damned easterners had invaded and driven the RE prices through the roof in OC. 😁
I just didn't move as far as you are planning on, but I sure do like what I'm seeing in that area, wish I'd put my $$ there instead of an isolated mountain ranch --- guess I was thinking more about building a family compound to counter the looming zombie's attacking. :eek:

Great move on your part 👍👍👍

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
When dad buys in North Tustin in the middle of orange groves in 1953, that's not baller status. 😂 The HS I attended we were nicknamed by some surrounding communities we competed against as "The White Fat Little Rich Kids ". This came from all the real money, the Rocket Scientists that worked at North American Rockwell back in the 60's. Now they lived in the baller-hoods, we lived on the other side of Esplanade , just ask Boatdoc55, he knows. 👍 My dad was a county electrical inspector and as was the norm in those days, mom took care of the house.

In 78' I moved to San Diego, so I could afford to buy a house --- damned easterners had invaded and driven the RE prices through the roof in OC. 😁
I just didn't move as far as you are planning on, but I sure do like what I'm seeing in that area, wish I'd put my $$ there instead of an isolated mountain ranch --- guess I was thinking more about building a family compound to counter the looming zombie's attacking. :eek:

Great move on your part 👍👍👍

My parents almost moved to cowan heights in the early 80's. I remember touring some of the houses and it was bonkers how nice and big they were.

They instead purchased a couple acres in modjeska canyon (corner pie shaped land off e santiago canyon/modjeska grade) my dad had plans for a big house that would have been amazing. Right at that time they decided getting divorced would be easier than building a house in that location as all the neighbors fought permitting...lol (it's still not developed 35 years later)

Later in life my mom bought a house off newport and st.regis after i moved out so technically she lived up in the rich area just like you...haha

That whole are is big $$$ now.

Taboma

Reaction score
My parents almost moved to cowan heights in the early 80's. I remember touring some of the houses and it was bonkers how nice and big they were.

They instead purchased a couple acres in modjeska canyon (corner pie shaped land off e santiago canyon/modjeska grade) my dad had plans for a big house that would have been amazing. Right at that time they decided getting divorced would be easier than building a house in that location as all the neighbors fought permitting...lol (it's still not developed 35 years later)

Later in life my mom bought a house off newport and st.regis after i moved out so technically she lived up in the rich area just like you...haha

That whole are is big $$$ now.

Thanks to another member posting an old newspaper ad, I used that site to dig up some old "Tustin News" issues from the 60's. Some available issues go back to 1922, but haven't checked those out yet.
Anyway --- funny how Baller is such a relative term.

Since you're familiar with the area --- here's a time machine ride back to homes and land for sale June 1962 in Lemon Heights home and 1/2 lots and Del Cerro over near Redhill in Tustin.

Lemon Htgs June 62 .jpg
Del Cerro.jpg

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I imagine havasu would still be our go to with my dad living there full time. I imagine we would sprinkle in some mead and powell trips as well.

Might even try and pick up a older cheap ski boat to use at the sand hollow resi that is 10 minutes away.

Realistically we have moved on a tad from the river/lake. With logan playing club soccer its pretty full time so we were only able to make it out 3 times in the last two years. We have been doing a;lot more overlanding/camping as a family I'm just over the crowds and like to stay away from people and relax...lol
Sand hollow = swimmer itch BADdddddddd 😫

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Thanks to another member posting an old newspaper ad, I used that site to dig up some old "Tustin News" issues from the 60's. Some available issues go back to 1922, but haven't checked those out yet.

Since you're familiar with the area --- here's a time machine ride back to homes and land for sale June 1962 in Lemon Heights home and 1/2 lots and Del Cerro over near Redhill in Tustin.

View attachment 972004 View attachment 972005

we just need a time machine and a couple hundred grand in old bills...lol

I imagine the lots in that area were still pricey for the day compared to the flat lands or the santa ana area.

Look in the mid 60's to early 70's in that same rag. My company used to be part of a large realestate biz. It was called Calstate Realestate and they were on the corner of prospect and first. At one point they were quite large and had several offices in so cal. My dads partner handled the insurance division and when they sold/closed the relestate portion we became Calstate Insurance. I have a couple of those old newspapers in our archives that we advertised in.

Cool old stuff

I have a couple of the

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Ill drive....lol

I read up on it. Bacterial based?

seems to effect about 10% of people and most don't get it a second time?
We used to swim in Quail I think is better water never been in SH kids won’t go back

Taboma

Reaction score
we just need a time machine and a couple hundred grand in old bills...lol

I imagine the lots in that area were still pricey for the day compared to the flat lands or the santa ana area.

Look in the mid 60's to early 70's in that same rag. My company used to be part of a large realestate biz. It was called Calstate Realestate and they were on the corner of prospect and first. At one point they were quite large and had several offices in so cal. My dads partner handled the insurance division and when they sold/closed the relestate portion we became Calstate Insurance. I have a couple of those old newspapers in our archives that we advertised in.

Cool old stuff

I have a couple of the

July 13 1967 issue

Calstate Ins RE 67.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Where did you find the stuff?

I have 3 of them where they had full page adds with pictures of all the heads of department. My dad started in i think 1971 working for his partner Bruce Andren and became a partner in the early 80's.

Here's the link to the July issue I found that ad in. There's various newspaper archives available, if you want more from the Tustin News, just click on Tustin news in upper left page corner, they don't have every day, but a sample from each month for a lot of years. Or other newspapers as well --- I was surprised they didn't have ( Or I didn't see) the Santa Ana Register, which was the leading newspaper for OC in the day.

Waterheater

Reaction score
Sand Hollow is a friggin ZOO during the summer and holidays.......great place to avoid
True that. Don't go on a Saturday. We never go out till 5 pm. All the wake boats have gone home by then.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Time to update this...

Things have moved past real. Build contract has been signed and construction deposit was sent a week ago. We are now on to engineering and permitting. Hoping to break ground in June. The build has gone up 28k due to construction cost's since we started looking and when we signed. (i saw this coming)

Our house was photographed for the MLS on Tuesday. As soon as it went live yesterday afternoon we received a couple offers. One of the offers was from one of my neighbors family members. I'm very close with my neighbor and his family and let them know I was looking for full market value i can't afford deals. They understood and came in with an offer 40k over asking on what i considered a pretty high starting price. I'm very comfortable with the offer and the 4% RE fees so we entered into escrow this morning. Perhaps there was another 10K out there but I'm happy good people are moving into the neighborhood.

Looking to close around june &th once my son is done with 6th grade.

here is the redfin listing for the Corona house and a elevation pic of the new place. (single story right at 2700 sq feet, huge back covered patio and big garage)

CV1.jpg

RCDave

Reaction score
Time to update this...

Things have moved past real. Build contract has been signed and construction deposit was sent a week ago. We are now on to engineering and permitting. Hoping to break ground in June. The build has gone up 28k due to construction cost's since we started looking and when we signed. (i saw this coming)

Our house was photographed for the MLS on Tuesday. As soon as it went live yesterday afternoon we received a couple offers. One of the offers was from one of my neighbors family members. I'm very close with my neighbor and his family and let them know I was looking for full market value i can't afford deals. They understood and came in with an offer 40k over asking on what i considered a pretty high starting price. I'm very comfortable with the offer and the 4% RE fees so we entered into escrow this morning. Perhaps there was another 10K out there but I'm happy good people are moving into the neighborhood.

here is the redfin listing for the Corona house and a elevation pic of the new place. (single story right at 2700 sq feet, huge back covered patio and big garage)

View attachment 992468

Congratulations! Life is an adventure and you're taking advantage of it. Greener pastures do exist out of California

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
That’s a bad ass house. best wishes on your new homestead.

I guess this works for you as you can sell insurance just about anywhere. What does your wife do for work?

Why is everyone leaving and sticking me with the bill for this state? Damm

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
That’s a bad ass house. best wishes on your new homestead.

I guess this works for you as you can sell insurance just about anywhere. What does your wife do for work?

Why is everyone leaving and sticking me with the bill for this state? Damm

Thanks

Covid has shown that i can do what i do anywhere. I will probably get licensed in utah and start expanding there a tad.

Wife used to work at Pacific Life in Alison viejo. It was a brutal commute but sadly/luckily they laid her off after 16 years first of the year. 500 jobs went over seas and they only kept the staff that had been on less than 5 years. They did the same thing with the tech department a year or two back.

She started applying for work from home jobs and took a position last month. It was for a decent chunk less but she has a company that wants her that could happen in the next day or two that takes her back to her previous salary range. Thank god supporting the family and our lifestyle on my check has been exciting...haha

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Wow congrats on the sale.... 40k over the 649k listed prices is great for you..... $430 sq is crazy!!!!!!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
And in Corona? Perfect time to sell!!!

I keep saying the something with our place in North Fontana. I just hear people saying it will still go up a bit more and if you sell now and live in a trailer waiting for the next buy the price has jumped more. We have lived in a 5th wheel for 6 months when our house was being built. It was fun a first but got small quickly, not sure I can do a year.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I keep saying the something with our place in North Fontana. I just hear people saying it will still go up a bit more and if you sell now and live in a trailer waiting for the next buy the price has jumped more. We have lived in a 5th wheel for 6 months when our house was being built. It was fun a first but got small quickly, not sure I can do a year.

Where's ol niceguyeddie when you need him. He sure knows how to predict the market! 👍 😂

cofooter

Reaction score

View attachment 972004 View attachment 972005
Grew up on Browning and Irvine in the 60's, right across the street from what is now the Tustin Ranch golf club. All orange trees in those days for miles and miles. My parents paid $20K for their three bedroom. Great place to grow up.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Congratulations!

This brings up a very important question, does this mean that the 210 will be for sale to get a more Powell style boat?

Taboma

Reaction score
Grew up on Browning and Irvine in the 60's, right across the street from what is now the Tustin Ranch golf club. All orange trees in those days for miles and miles. My parents paid $20K for their three bedroom. Great place to grow up.

Funny how you don't realize just how fortunate you are or in this case were, to have enjoyed our youth in such an awesome area. I attended Tustin HS my freshman year which began in 61', then the following 3 at the brand new Foothill HS, first graduating class, and now that brand new HS is about 62 years OLD. :eek:
Great era to be a kid and an amazing area to enjoy it in. 👍

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
After reading this, I am currently trying to get my wife to list our house a few miles away... and I don't even have a plan 😂🤑

Biggest issue unless you are moving out of state and already have something set up you can't buy a new house. You can have the best credit and all the $$$ in the world but due to supply/demand you are screwed hence the bidding wars and inflated prices.

I believe rental homes are having the same issue.

We chose to build new because honestly it was the only way to guarantee we get a house and don't over pay by 50k....it's nuts

JD D05

Reaction score
Biggest issue unless you are moving out of state and already have something set up you can't buy a new house. You can have the best credit and all the $$$ in the world but due to supply/demand you are screwed hence the bidding wars and inflated prices.

I believe rental homes are having the same issue.

We chose to build new because honestly it was the only way to guarantee we get a house and don't over pay by 50k....it's nuts

I just heard they are rationing wood now in Utah also. Any builder is allocated to build 60% of the homes they built last year.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Congrats on the move! We wanted to move to southern Utah, but there’s not enough work there for my husband so we settled for Boulder City. We love it here, but still plan on moving further east eventually.

Random question- do you know the name of the paint color that is in the master bathroom of the Corona house?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
After reading this, I am currently trying to get my wife to list our house a few miles away... and I don't even have a plan 😂🤑

I have property in TX i can build on, but that is one hell of a commute to my office in Ontario. But we have thought about it, Tues/Wed/Thurs in the office and the rest at home in TX. Till I grow bigger a set and move the business to TX.

Richard.E

Reaction score
Congrats! Let me know if you need help with anything or need someone to come drink beers in your garage [emoji1689]

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Sounds like things are working out for you CT. A fresh start seems like it will go well for you.

Its amazing how the cost of living is cheaper out of State. Its the little differences in the price of everything. But it starts to add up. You don’t notice it unless you spend a lot of time out of state.

We started the virtual working also and that has worked out for us. But I am still anchored here.

I love the big RV garage on your new house. That is great. Now you have to buy something to fill it!! Lol

c_land

Reaction score
Time to update this...

View attachment 992468

Looks like we have a pretty similar layout based on elevations.We are building in the Cave Creek, AZ area though. Well maybe building, if the City will ever get me a building permit. :rolleyes:

1618515794687.png

RCDave

Reaction score
Sounds like things are working out for you CT. A fresh start seems like it will go well for you.

Its amazing how the cost of living is cheaper out of State. Its the little differences in the price of everything. But it starts to add up. You don’t notice it unless you spend a lot of time out of state.

We started the virtual working also and that has worked out for us. But I am still anchored here.

I love the big RV garage on your new house. That is great. Now you have to buy something to fill it!! Lol

Like you, i've found the costs out of California are substantially less. Gasoline, utilities, insurance, taxation, food, vehicle registration, sales tax, etc

And the price for personal freedoms.....PRICELESS

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

RV garage will have a 4 post lift and cabinets/work bench. The garage should hold 6 cars and still have a little room. No plans for an rv but i have a 21'x66' rv pad if needed:D

property tax is half. taxes are half vehicle registration alone will save me almost 2k a year.

Electric there is dirt cheap.

The only negative i have found is no pump e-85. The g8 won't be happy being down 100hp running 91 but hopefully friends will bring rum and e85 when they visit...haha