WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Talk to me about Southern Utah....Area specific recommendations to look at.

JD D05

Reaction score
You should check out Bluffdale UT. Cover your CA license plates.

Bluffdale has got stupid expensive for Utah prices but I do love that area. We lived just west for years in Herriman. My buddy has acre lots in Bluffdale going for 400K.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
How's the weather been?....was like 100 here on Monday and Tuesday. Sure you don't miss that...lol

I would say the weather feels similar.

It’s a little hotter here but with the lower humidity 100 feels like 90.

It’s been 90 as a high this week so it’s been really nice. It’s cooler in the morning here and stays cooler until about 2pm and then it’s warm until we’ll after dark.

Just like Corona we have had a couple 115 days this summer and those days suck unless you have a pool…lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
h13.jpg
h1.jpg
h2.jpg
h3.jpg
h4.jpg
h5.jpg
h6.jpg
h9.jpg
h10.jpg
h11.jpg
h12.jpg

Well things are finally happening. Framing started the Monday before thanksgiving and these boys don't mess around. I imagine they will be done in the next day or so and then we are on to electrical,plumbing.

I still have no idea on any kind of timeline as communication has been terrible. I don't know were 4 months out or 7 but everyone says once the framing is done things start moving fast...lol

Attachments

• h8.jpg
    h8.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 35
  • h7.jpg
    h7.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 38

wzuber

Reaction score
Wow, that front elevation looks really nice.... That's going to be a really nice home for you & your family.
That's a lot of nice gold sitting there open to the public. I guess utah really is a low crime place. Haha

riverroyal

Reaction score
did I miss this thread? Where is this house being built?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
did I miss this thread? Where is this house being built?
St George/Washington Utah.

Signed for the house end of march 2021.

Sold our Corona house and moved June 10th

Permit approved beginning of july.

I would no longer build new in this area the lot prices and costs have jumped through the roof and i think there is more value in a already complete home. Were into this thing for 700k (not counting back yard) and i imagine it would cost closer to 850-900K now to build.

Dettom

Reaction score
Some friends just built a house in Hurricane. They love it there.

riverroyal

Reaction score

I would no longer build new in this area the lot prices and costs have jumped through the roof and i think there is more value in a already complete home. Were into this thing for 700k (not counting back yard) and i imagine it would cost closer to 850-900K now to build.
Interesting...we are looking there as well. Just looking, trying to make a plan.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Interesting...we are looking there as well. Just looking, trying to make a plan.
Love it here beautiful , clean and tons of stuff to do....I know there are some other RDP members seriously considering the change.

Covid was a curse and a blessing for us. Wife got laid off after 17 years and was forced to find a new job. We both are now remote so it allowed us to escape after trying since 2003.

No regrets......But i would like my house done and a couple more beer drinking buddies...haha

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score

Wow! crazy what prices have done there in the last 5 years.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
This was probably a 400k house 4 years ago. Lots used to be sub 80k now they are 200k plus.

700k would have legit bought you a mansion on a half acre 5 years ago.

Yeah, a few months ago I was talking to a buddy that lives in Canyon Lake. He had tried to get me to stay in SoCal before I moved but has finally gotten sick of all the BS about living there. He wants a mild climate with reasonable prices so I told him to check out St George or Cedar City. He did and then called me asking what kind of dope I'd been smoking! :oops: :D I jumped online and checked prices there and was floored with how much it had gone up. Plus, trying to find a nice used place out of town was near impossible.

I love where I live and am on 5 acres in a remote area. In Southern UT now it looks like you will have to live in a residential area which for me, kind of defeats the whole purpose of moving away from the populated areas.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Yeah, a few months ago I was talking to a buddy that lives in Canyon Lake. He had tried to get me to stay in SoCal before I moved but has finally gotten sick of all the BS about living there. He wants a mild climate with reasonable prices so I told him to check out St George or Cedar City. He did and then called me asking what kind of dope I'd been smoking! :oops: :D I jumped online and checked prices there and was floored with how much it had gone up. Plus, trying to find a nice used place out of town was near impossible.

I love where I live and am on 5 acres in a remote area. In Southern UT now it looks like you will have to live in a residential area which for me, kind of defeats the whole purpose of moving away from the populated areas.
Where are you located? St George ? Hurricane?

BTW, that's where I would move if I moved

dread Pirate

Reaction score
BIL is a realtor in St George/Ogden area if that helps at all

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Is the 700k including the lot price? or just the home build?

Hard to say the home cost would have increased that much now... Wood prices have come since the whole pandemic, just the cost of the land has increased.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Is the 700k including the lot price? or just the home build?

Hard to say the home cost would have increased that much now... Wood prices have come since the whole pandemic, just the cost of the land has increased.

Both (lot was 165k)

I signed in march and they have had 2 sizeable price increases on this home since. I don't see them lowering that but i do see it perhaps being negotiable now.

I know trusses are still a pita to get and honestly i'm not sure how much the price of wood has come down since the original bid in may.

Definatley not cheap out anywhere anymore but i am trading a builders grade 1600 sq foot house for a much nicer and better equipped 2650 house with a 1100 sq foot garage in a beautiful area for the same price. I see it as a win:D

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Both (lot was 165k)

I signed in march and they have had 2 sizeable price increases on this home since. I don't see them lowering that but i do see it perhaps being negotiable now.

I know trusses are still a pita to get and honestly i'm not sure how much the price of wood has come down since the original big in may.

Definatley not cheap out anywhere anymore but i am trading a builders grade 1600 sq foot house for a much nicer and better equipped 2650 house with a 1100 sq foot garage in a beautiful area for the same price. I see it as a win:D

I get it.... We are meeting builders now for our Texas property. Our lot was 185k for 1.35 acres and just found out today the lot next to us that is little smaller is available for 210K (resale). I want it but it would limit our home build.....

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Love it here beautiful , clean and tons of stuff to do....I know there are some other RDP members seriously considering the change.

Covid was a curse and a blessing for us. Wife got laid off after 17 years and was forced to find a new job. We both are now remote so it allowed us to escape after trying since 2003.

No regrets......But i would like my house done and a couple more beer drinking buddies...haha
At least you're away from that Asshole Skip😂😂...JK ....House is looking good. Supposed to start lay basement block this week for my TN build....waiting on pics

WYRD

Reaction score
I get it.... We are meeting builders now for our Texas property. Our lot was 185k for 1.35 acres and just found out today the lot next to us that is little smaller is available for 210K (resale). I want it but it would limit our home build.....
A little sacrifice now will not even be a thought in five years. Get the land build a house and push a business like hell. You will be grateful in the long run

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
At least you're away from that Asshole Skip😂😂...JK ....House is looking good. Supposed to start lay basement block this week for my TN build....waiting on pics
Honestly moving away from skip and his boys and the rest of the neighbors was the hardest part. Pretty cool living next to one of your closest friends.😎

His sister bought my house so atleast he kept a cool neighbor…lol

He told me about your move a long while back gonna be such a cool house. I think when his time is up I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up neighbors again. 😜🍺🇺🇸

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Damn that's nice, Congrats!

My wife is still trying to convince me to move out of Ca. By the looks of it she's not going to have to try as hard any longer.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
A little sacrifice now will not even be a thought in five years. Get the land build a house and push a business like hell. You will be grateful in the long run

100% agree. We live pretty frugal, and don't have much cool shit that we don't need... I know people who make less and have more cool stuff than we do.

I guess I can sell my bourbon collection and just drink Old Grand-dad.

Just don't know what to sacrifice so I can add 200k to something. We do eat out a bit... guess $200 +/- a week x 4=$800 month

Current estimate on new home is 800k not including the lot.. So just at a mil.... adding this lot would be at 1.2mil.

Or do I or buy 30,40,50,80 acre parcel later for man shit..... I can also estimate business projections better later... Right now it's hot and cold....

Then keeping my father happy being retired..... that cost $$$$$ lol

what to do!!!!!!!

WYRD

Reaction score
100% agree. We live pretty frugal, and don't have much cool shit that we don't need... I know people who make less and have more cool stuff than we do.

I guess I can sell my bourbon collection and just drink Old Grand-dad.

Just don't know what to sacrifice so I can add 200k to something. We do eat out a bit... guess $200 +/- a week x 4=$800 month

Current estimate on new home is 800k not including the lot.. So just at a mil.... adding this lot would be at 1.2mil.

Or do I or buy 30,40,50,80 acre parcel later for man shit..... I can also estimate business projections better later... Right now it's hot and cold....

Then keeping my father happy being retired..... that cost $$$$$ lol

what to do!!!!!!!
I know the feeling for sure but I also look back on the decisions I passed on in The Last 5 Years and realize I could have capitalized tenfold. I know that's Monday morning quarterbacking but I've learned life is short and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Definitely not encouraging you to overextend yourself just maybe don't overanalyze every decision and maybe don't be quite so conservative. Of course those are the words I type but here I am sitting in my office deciding whether to go home and have leftovers or splurge on a decent steak🤷‍♂️🤣

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
View attachment 1070998 View attachment 1070999 View attachment 1071000 View attachment 1071001 View attachment 1071002 View attachment 1071003 View attachment 1071005 View attachment 1071008 View attachment 1071009 View attachment 1071010 View attachment 1071011
Well things are finally happening. Framing started the Monday before thanksgiving and these boys don't mess around. I imagine they will be done in the next day or so and then we are on to electrical,plumbing.

I still have no idea on any kind of timeline as communication has been terrible. I don't know were 4 months out or 7 but everyone says once the framing is done things start moving fast...lol

Holy crap that was fast!

Hold my beer...

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
we have been in southern Utah (Pine Valley Mountains) for about 30 years....we came from Upland. When we found this land I thought it was ideal and the area was perfect. We are about 27 miles from town (St. George) and there is a ranch next to us and National forest land. I loving living on this piece of property. Back when we moved here going to town wasn't bad at all, sort fun going to a old time little town. Those days are gone. If you are moving to the St. George area to get away from the mess in California you are wasting your time. St. George, Washington, Hurricane and the cities around those are a friggin zoo. Prices are going crazy high, crime is on a huge increase and traffic is a mess. If you are giving this area some serious thought you might want to visit for awhile of even rent for a few months. The big mistake I made is I should have gone to Wyoming of Montana and bought a couple thousand acres, built a fence around it and put the house right in the middle.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Welcome to St. George.............never use to see this crap until a couple of years ago

Attachments

• ela.JPG
    ela.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 137

Waterheater

Reaction score
My best friend is a custom builder here. He only does 4 or 5 houses a year. He's a boater and spends a lot of time in Havasu. If someone is looking for a custom builder, let me know. I'll get you in touch with him. I always like to spend money with people that have the same interest.

Reactions: Vib

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I know the feeling for sure but I also look back on the decisions I passed on in The Last 5 Years and realize I could have capitalized tenfold. I know that's Monday morning quarterbacking but I've learned life is short and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Definitely not encouraging you to overextend yourself just maybe don't overanalyze every decision and maybe don't be quite so conservative. Of course those are the words I type but here I am sitting in my office deciding whether to go home and have leftovers or splurge on a decent steak🤷‍♂️🤣
I'm catching what you are throwing. I did have a phone call with a builder yesterday, currently pushing 300-350 sq ft to build custom. Good thing I was sitting down or I would be on the floor.

As for the steak..... Costco had their prime whole NY strip for $25 off per package. I get about 12-13 steaks out of one for about $150-175 with that discount. I don't buy steaks any other way now.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Welcome to St. George.............never use to see this crap until a couple of years ago
If you think the crime, traffic or graffiti is bad in st.george/Washington you are definitely not gonna want to venture to salt lake or ever take a trip back to california....lol

From a statistic stand point i believe st.george is in the top 10 safest cities in America. It might not be as good as it used to be but nothing is unfortunately.

I understand its frustrating to someone that escaped the CA rat race 30 years ago that things have changed and what used to be a small city has grown but being 100% honest southern utah feels like Southern California 30 years ago. Southern california as a whole has jumped the shark and is complete shit compared to 20 years ago.

Everyone wants something different...You want 200 acres in montana and for nobody to be around. Personally i don't want that i just want a nice/clean city with a nice house,good schools and good weather to raise a family......The tax rate,cheap power and vehicle registrations are just a bonus:)

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
We just bought a new weekend home in Hurricane by Sand Hollow, really are enjoying it. Most everyone in that area are 2nd home folks, during the week it's quiet. Looking forward to spending more time there.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
And make friends with your sup. Mine allowed us to run speaker wire, and add insulation to the RV garage during construction

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We just bought a new weekend home in Hurricane by Sand Hollow, really are enjoying it. Most everyone in that area are 2nd home folks, during the week it's quiet. Looking forward to spending more time there.

Noticed that as I am looking. I’m
A little worried about living in a VRBO area in some of the neighborhoods.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t live in a short term rental area.

I don’t think my area would ever be a thing if it was allowed but I could see some units over by sand hollow being a pita during holiday weekends and when events are being put on.

Short term rentals are there to party.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
And make friends with your sup. Mine allowed us to run speaker wire, and add insulation to the RV garage during construction

I’m definitely running rear surround wire before drywall goes up.

Luckily not much else I need to do to the house.

My first super died in a car wreck and my latest one doesn’t really respond to texts so I don’t think anyone really cares what I’m doing as long as it’s not during business hours…lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t live in a short term rental area.

I don’t think my area would ever be a thing if it was allowed but I could see some units over by sand hollow being a pita during holiday weekends and when events are being put on.

Short term rentals are there to party.

Agreed on all counts.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Agreed on all counts.
Washington County (St George, Hurricane, Washington, etc) is in the middle of possibly making some county code changes as far as VRBO and all other short term rentals. Some established residential neighborhoods are starting to have issues with short term rentals

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Washington County (St George, Hurricane, Washington, etc) is in the middle of possibly making some county code changes as far as VRBO and all other short term rentals. Some established residential neighborhoods are starting to have issues with short term rentals

I had seen little snippets about that, thank you.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I had seen little snippets about that, thank you.
I know there are some upset property owners in Dammeron Valley that are fed up with short term rentals, absent owners and renters raising hell riding off road stuff fast around the horse properties

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
yes, that was a concern, city of Hurricane does a decent job of limiting VRBO permits. You don't want to get caught renting without a permit, it's fairly expensive for you if caught.