WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tankless hot water heater... school me.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Here is the difference between the 2 common system's.
Just don't use anyone's manifold.
Have the plumber custom build the manifolds out of copper tubing and brass ball valves.
Then parts are available at any hardware store.

CobraDave

Reaction score
It seems like a tankless would be the way to go in a havasu vacation house. Because a water heater isn’t constantly running. I’m hopefully going to start building. I don’t care about wasting a little water. What should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Recirc pump, and most importantly..... insulation on the lines. Most aren't insulated and with long attic runs you have a LOT of heat transfer (loss in the winter on the hot side and gain in the summer on the cold side). Insulate the lines, plumb in a return loop (insulate that as well) and install a recirc pump. Instant (almoat) and endless hot water is the best.

Or you could put a little electric insta-hot under the sink that would heat up the water as soon as you need it but when the hot water gets there from the heater it's not used anymore (reaches its set-point and shuts off its heating element).
DB, and others......
Cost aside. Speaking in Physics here.
If piped correctly, you do not need, and frankly, do not want a recirc pump. 1 more mechanical device maintain.
You do need a 3rd pipe. Usually 1/2" copper. At your bathroom end tied into the highest point (very important) on the HW side before the bathroom.
At the water heater end tie into the lowest. On Water heater tanks. We would unscrew the drain spigot off the bottom, put a nipple and a tee (standard 3/4" NPT) in and then the drain spigot back in. tie in the return line to the Tee.
Point being, HW rises. Pushing thru the pipe thru convection, pushing cooler water back down the return to the bottom of the tank. Heat migrates up. No pump necessary if it set up correctly. Same principle that keep hot air ballon aloft.
Ask any old plumber. Should work on tankless but Idk for sure.
FYI, Pipefitter, 42 yrs. Retired.
Won't work on a tankless. They have to flow a certain amount to fire up. Convection alone wouldn't do it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

WYRD

Reaction score
Toss a five gallon bucket in the shower and see how long it takes to fill up.

It may not be as much as you think. The new low flow shower heads only flow 2 or 2.5 gallons a minute. It may seem like an eternity when you are
standing there naked waiting to get in, but it may not actually be that much water.

Oh, then use the water in the bucket for watering your house plants. I suggest you do that naked too.
This......I had the same issue. Found out the amount of water was about three gallons. That's equal to a couple of toilet flushes. I took the low flow restrictor off the closest sink and turn that on along with the shower in the morning while the water gets hot. Takes less than 30 seconds now. Give it a try... One bit of advice though...

Don't take a shower while drunk with this method you might end up forgetting to turn the sink off before you get in the shower, have amazing shower sex with your SO, and pass out after getting out while leaving the hot water run at the sink all night long o_O 🔥

GetNautical

Reaction score
We recently installed Rinnai Tankless and it works great. Has a built in recirculation pump to push the hot water through the house. Connects to your wifi so you can adjust the temp and set the pump schedule, turn of/off the pump etc. from an app on your phone. Really easy to use and plenty of hot water. Wouldn't get one without the recirculation pump.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
A couple of points to consider,
1. Tankless have a flow rating related to temperature rise and power or gas supply needed. You can't just add a 120 volt water heater under your sink and raise the temp 50 degrees in a short time. If you remove some of the restrictions you may not get the needed temperature rise as water goes thru heater too fast.
2. A tank type needs a pop off valve routed outside.

As stated before in all scenarios, you're either wasting water or energy. With a tankless you gain space. With a circ pump you gain time.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Here's a best seller (Bosh) on Amazon for $157. Mini tank 2.5gl / 120vac. Easy to install and can plug directly into an outlet under your sink.
This is really a no brainer for the kitchen sink.

As for the shower just take the head off from the wall/ceiling stub and see if there is a restrictor disc in it. If so just remove it or drill the hole a little bigger.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I'm curious how much water is really going to end up in the bucket. Take off the shower heads and dig out the little doohickey that slows down the water flow. Sometimes you have to actually drill it out. But the water flow is soooo much better!

If you have teen kids you almost need a tankless. If the kids beat you into the shower, they use up all the hot water.

I have had a Rinnai for 15 years or more. I flush it every couple years. It works great with zero problems.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
This may be more than you want to deal with, but if your biggest concern is the long wait to have hot water in the master bath, then could you add a secondary smaller water heater in the master closet or even outside the house near the master bath? Your pex for the plumbing may be running in the attic, so it might not be too bad to tap into the plumbing near the master bath and add another heater. Again, this might be more than you are looking to do on a brand new house, but it could be an option to consider if it's still bothering you after a few months.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This may be more than you want to deal with, but if your biggest concern is the long wait to have hot water in the master bath, then could you add a secondary smaller water heater in the master closet or even outside the house near the master bath? Your pex for the plumbing may be running in the attic, so it might not be too bad to tap into the plumbing near the master bath and add another heater. Again, this might be more than you are looking to do on a brand new house, but it could be an option to consider if it's still bothering you after a few months.

Thanks for the input. Definitely not wanting to make any modifications on the new house at this point (we've only been in for 2 months). If the removal of the flow restrictors doesn't improve the situation and it continues to be an issue down the line, it's good to know that this is an option. From what everyone has said, it seems like this is really the only way to expedite hot water directly to the master.

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our tank water heater doubles as water storage during earthquakes.
I like not having the big tank in the way. We begin the dig on the pool in a month, so we'll just use that as our emergency water source [emoji106]

Sent from my Note 10+ using Tapatalk

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Unrelated question (sorry DB)

Anyone use or know anything about electric tankless water heaters?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I have a similar issue at my house. The water heater is at the exact opposite end as the shower. When I redo some plumbing (currently 70 year old galvanized :rolleyes:) I will be adding another water heater at that end of the house with an isolation valve between them. If one dies, open the valve and you are functional until repairs can be made.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Glad you started this thread was thinking about getting one not anymore.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score

We just replaced our water heater. I asked the plumber about tankless, he said we wouldn’t be happy with it as our entire house is electric. He recommends tankless for most of his customers unless they are electric.

NicPaus

Reaction score

It gets asked on the regular on the plumbing forum. Nothing good they recommend.

I would never install a tankless on my house unless I needed the space where tank is. But like I just did at my Parker pad. Added a water heater house outside and made the water heater closet a clothes closet. There are a lot of nice units but when they need work can get expensive.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We recently installed Rinnai Tankless and it works great. Has a built in recirculation pump to push the hot water through the house. Connects to your wifi so you can adjust the temp and set the pump schedule, turn of/off the pump etc. from an app on your phone. Really easy to use and plenty of hot water. Wouldn't get one without the recirculation pump.

That's very cool. 👍