WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tanzania, East Africa August-September 2018

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Made what may very well be my last trip to Africa in August/September. I hunted a GMA (game management area) called Ibanda. It is in extreme NW Tanzania. The Kagera River forms the international boundaries with Rwanda and Uganda right where I was.

This was where the Hutu "tribe" killed up to one million Tutsi's. Their bodies were disposed of in this very river, not one Kilometer from the camp we hunted. Morbid to even think about. (The ethnic cleansing)

In any case, I was 100% of the time in Tanzania. My main goals were East Africa Eland, East African Roan and East Africa Sitatunga. I also had three Cape Buffalo on license. I was successful on all my main species except EA Sitatunga.

I had a tough 334 yard shot off of bamboo shooting sticks. Just flat missed.

IMG_2678.JPG

This is a 49" Cape Buffalo. My largest by a wide margin. I'll post some more stuff later and tell the story behind this Buffalo and the Poachers.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
The story behind the Poachers and the Buffalo; It was likely day 3 or 4 of hunting. We were hanging Leopard baits in a valley. A small ridge was all that separated us from the Kagera river (Rwanda) We had just arrived at the tree Wayne Grant (my PH) had selected. We were startled by three "Dugga Boys", which are solitary old bulls whom have eft a herd. They're mean, ornery and intolerant of any bullshit. As they ran, one of them was obviously much wider than the other two.

I told Wayne "I want that bull." In Africa, re-finding a specific Buffalo is literally a needle in a haystack. But we swore to make an effort.

We left the immediate area and went on fly-camp for several days. We went to a swamp called "Rumanyika" to hunt for the Sitatunga, which is mostly aquatic and nocturnal. As I stated, I missed the only opportunity we had and came back to Ibanda about day 8.

IMG_1493.JPG

This is where we slept on the edge of the swamp. I got chewed by mosquitos...bad.

Anyway, we got back to Leopard baits and hunting other game.

Probably day 9 or 10, Wayne wanted to drive a long ridge that is the predominant geographic feature of the GMA. It is also just uphill from where we hung the bait where we saw the three Buffalo. We hadn't been driving long when the TAWA game scout (Tanzania Wildlife Authority) simply tapped on the roof of the Land Cruiser, stuck his head in the cab and said "Poachers"

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Wayne shut off the Cruiser and we coasted to a stop. We came to a stop behind some concealment. We got out, bino's in hand. We could clearly see their make-shift camp abut 700 yards below us, in the valley where we had hung the Leopard bait mentioned. They we sitting around a fire, smoking meats, oblivious to our position.

IMG_1514.JPG

To make a long story tolerable, Wayne put a plan together for the anti-poaching team. They made their way down to the valley floor and surrounded them. Once their presence was known, the gunfight started. I had told Wayne, I wanted nothing to do with killing one of them. He concurred and told me only to defend us if necessary.

We didn't know who was shooting at who, everyone was running around looking for cover. Eventually, two were apprehended. Now, Wayne is shouting down to them to come up the hill, we've wasted too much time already. As they were coming up, I noticed one of the Poachers had thrown his blue shirt in the long grass. Wayne was directing a tracker named Pemba to the shirt to pick it up. Once he got there, he bent over and stared whacking it with his Panga (Machete).

IMG_1516.JPG

The blue shirt contained the third Poacher. Turns out, there were four of them. One got away in a hail of AK-47 fire. Once they got to the top the TAWA scout (Lawrence) told me "A scared poacher is worth more than a dead poacher."

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Now were all back on top. I ask Wayne "now what." He stated we would just go on hunting...all of us.

Cell phone use in Africa is amazing. It is far more advanced than in America. There are literally towers hundreds of miles from roads, towns, anywhere. So Lawrence called the main scout camp, about 40 miles away. They were to meet us, once we descended the ridge we were on.

We hadn't been driving long after the poacher incident when we literally ran into the same three Buffalo bulls. They were spooked properly, had the wind and weren't going to tolerate us stalking them. We got out of the Cruiser, watched them run off the opposite side of the ridge the poachers were on. They went probably a couple miles. They disappeared into a thick korongo (wash) and never came out.

We now think we have a chance, as they've bedded and its just after mid-day.

We descended the ridge, met 5 or 6 very bored TAWA guys and handed off our prisoners.

IMG_2661-2.JPG

These TAWA guys are relatively well educated, all speak English, Swahili, some Sango. But they can't shoot for shit. The one in the green rubber boots wanted me to tell him all about America and Donald Trump. :D

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Now, free of the Rwandan's. We made a plan to go after the Buffalo. We had to drive around a mountain to get the wind right but found ourselves in relatively good position by around 4PM.

Our Lead tracker Saidi, has amazing eyes as do most of these rural Africans. He spotted the Buffalo laying under a tree about 200 yards in front of us.

Now, Wayne and I go alone. We made the first 50 yards pretty fast but were running out of good cover. We removed our boots and made another 40-50 yards. I need to be about 40 yards with my open sight double rifle (450 .400 3-1/4"). Now out of cover, we had but one Acacia between us and the Bulls. We sat on our asses, laid our rifles across our laps and scooted on our asses to the tree. We had nowhere to go now. It had to be here.

They were laying in a triangular guard position. The one we wanted was looking straight away from us. We waited for what seemed a long while for them to stand. Wayne ran out of patience. He told me he was going to make them stand up. I was ready and he made a sound like a calf in distress.....NOTHING.

He tried it for like 10 minutes...nothing. Finally, he said get ready. He clapped his hands and up they came. Now, the bull we want is partially obscured by one of the others. The only shot I had was quartering heavily on. A VERY, VERY undesirable shot at one of the big 5. Wayne instructed my to shoot, which I did.

Now, all hell breaks loose. They're running for Uganda.

The hunting team runs up to us and said it looked like a good hit, I wasn't sure.

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
We waited a bit and went to the spot he stood. There was blood, not a bad amount but we're committed. Off we go. The 3 stayed together, taking us through the nastiest long grass Africa has to offer. 10-12 feet tall. Visibility is a scant foot or two, a charge here is going to be interesting.

They took us through grass like this 5-6 times, staying together as warriors. We were now approaching some topography that would allow us some better visibility. One more patch of long grass, and we saw the two un-wounded Bulls emerge. Now, either our boy is dead...or waiting.

I was fortunate enough to hear him in the grass, I moved to gain some higher ground and saw him coming out on the other side, about 50 yards. I shot him with both barrels, reloaded and hit him twice more, ending things.

A 49" Cape Buffalo is only killed on the entire continent of Africa probably only every few seasons. An amazing hunting trophy and a well earned one. I've never seen the same Buffalo three times on a Safari...ever.

Last edited:

Dalton

Reaction score
I just returned from my first trip to Africa- Ethiopia, Uganda, and Kenya, I wanted to commit to a hunting trip or safari, but was kinda shocked at the price of them, I still had a great time. Ill be back at some point, probably not Kenya though.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I just returned from my first trip to Africa- Ethiopia, Uganda, and Kenya, I wanted to commit to a hunting trip or safari, but was kinda shocked at the price of them, I still had a great time. Ill be back at some point, probably not Kenya though.

Hunting there is no different than anything. Ya gotta sort through the bullshit. It doesn't need to cost a fortune.

What the heck were you doing in Uganda and Ethiopia and Kenya?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
This is all I was able to bring home from the Poachers. I had an axe in my gunbox but they took it in the Dar es Salaam airport police office.

IMG_2853.JPG

ssc

Reaction score
That is a spectacular Bull. Congratulations. My largest to date was just under 40.

Cheers, Steve

ssc

Reaction score
Zim. I would have to check my notes to see where the largest was taken. It was either Omay or Dande. Had one charge. It was a thrilling and scary experience. Do you frequent Accurate Reloading, African forum?

Cheers, Steve

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
View attachment 694469
Zim. I would have to check my notes to see where the largest was taken. It was either Omay or Dande. Had one charge. It was a thrilling and scary experience. Do you frequent Accurate Reloading, African forum?

Cheers, Steve

I used to be a frequent poster. Saeed and I do not see eye to eye and he pressured me into leaving.

The place is far different than it used to be.

If you want to know my posting name over there I'll PM it to you.

There another guy here that post over there. His screen name on both forums is McKay.

Shooting charging DG is certainly a life altering deal. My Lion charged, stopped it at 12'. (Luangwa Valley)

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Wow... I’m pretty sure you skimmed over 80% of what really happened and I’m still blown away.

Amazing Bull Steve!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Wow... I’m pretty sure you skimmed over 80% of what really happened and I’m still blown away.

Amazing Bull Steve!

Yea, this was in fact the Readers Digest version. if you want the full monty (full gunfight details and all) you can read my upcoming book. Lots more stuff was hunted as well, but I've pretty well learned my lesson on this forum about posting dead stuff. The big bull isn't too offensive to most I don't think.

if we're able to get together whilst you're over in Phoenix, we can catch up.

"Chipolopolo" The Bullet has won the day

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Yea, this was in fact the Readers Digest version. if you want the full monty (full gunfight details and all) you can read my upcoming book. Lots more stuff was hunted as well, but I've pretty well learned my lesson on this forum about posting dead stuff. The big bull isn't too offensive to most I don't think.

"Chipolopolo" The Bullet has won the day

I’ll be out the week of 11/5. I’ll call you when I know what my week schedule is going to look like.

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
Would love to do a hunt like that, I’ve read all of Ruarks books and while I know it has changed I would imagine from those times, it would still be a trip of a lifetime, albeit an expensive one. Sounds like one hell of a trip. Congrats

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Would love to do a hunt like that, I’ve read all of Ruarks books and while I know it has changed I would imagine from those times, it would still be a trip of a lifetime, albeit an expensive one. Sounds like one hell of a trip. Congrats

Ruark's writing (to me) was hot & cold. Some of it was amazing, some, not so much. I think it had to do with his current state of alcoholism. I see much of Arica through the same prism as did Ruark. I have walked the same grounds and hunted the same beasts.

He spoke of flora & fauna with such fondness that I have felt connected to his thoughts. Conversely, I think some of his writings were penned in an alcoholic haze.

I've read just about everything. All of Capstick's nonsense, Ruark, Boddington and Fau.

I have also been fortunate enough to have met some of the old names that made the sport what it is today. I met Harry Selby in Maun, Botswana before an Elephant hunt. A kindly old gent, still with a gleam in his eye. Sadly he passed a few years ago.

I fear those who come along next won't see the Africa thats left. The anti-hunting lobby is so strong, and the pro-hunting lobby is fragmented and disorganized. We are losing at an alarming rate. There are small glimmers of hope, here and there. Botswana is re-opening next year. Kenya is making noise about hunting again. Its been closed since 1977. Problem is there are no animals.

See it before its gone.

Edit; As to times changing, If you look at the rifle in the picture with the Buffalo, its a Charles Osborne 450 .400 3-1/4", English, Double Rifle. It was build in London in 1892. Its as solid as the day it was built.

I say this because if you hunt in a classic manner (limited or no vehicle use) you are hunting the same places, the same way, with the same firearms, the pioneers of hunting Africa did.

Last edited:

McKay

Reaction score
Very cool Steve. Did not know you were a double guy. There is nothing like hunting with a double in my opinion. Does not matter anymore to me if its plainsgame, buffalo or elephant. (or elk) Doing it with open sights and if its a vintage double all the better. Did a plainsgame hunt in Bots this year and shot most with a 400/360 William Evans from 1919. Previous Hunt in Zim last summer the wife and I mostly used a Westley Richards 450/400 from 1922. Love it all!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Very cool Steve. Did not know you were a double guy. There is nothing like hunting with a double in my opinion. Does not matter anymore to me if its plainsgame, buffalo or elephant. (or elk) Doing it with open sights and if its a vintage double all the better. Did a plainsgame hunt in Bots this year and shot most with a 400/360 William Evans from 1919. Previous Hunt in Zim last summer the wife and I mostly used a Westley Richards 450/400 from 1922. Love it all!

Yep, Have 3 of them. The Charles Osborne, 450 .400 3-1/4 (vintage 1892), a Kreighoff .470NE and my favorite a Armeria de Madrid (LARM) .500NE back action sidekick.

I really want a ~.360 sized double. Do you know Cal Pappas? He's a buddy of mine who hunts exclusively with DR's, He lives in Willow AK. He hunts Bear, Caribou, EVERYTHING with his DR's.

Not sure yet but This might have been my last trip to Africa. I want to do the Maasai species still, but just don't have that gut burning passion to go to Africa anymore. Too complex with guns. Too hard on me with 40 -45 hours of travel each way.

McKay

Reaction score
Ya I get it. Yes know Cal a bit as he has helped me with some odd ball calibers in the past.

I LOVE the 400/360, very easy to make brass off 9.3x74R. Very mild to shoot as well, was able to sneak in double up on zebras twice, and wildebeest once on my last trip. Sneaking in and getting close and using both barrels is what I love to do.

Ya the travel blows! I have been doing the Dubai route these last few times as got tired of trying to use miles or getting bent over on Delta First Class.

I’m not going this next summer for the travel reason. Looking to do an Argentina wing shooting combo again instead.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Ya I get it. Yes know Cal a bit as he has helped me with some odd ball calibers in the past.

I LOVE the 400/360, very easy to make brass off 9.3x74R. Very mild to shoot as well, was able to sneak in double up on zebras twice, and wildebeest once on my last trip. Sneaking in and getting close and using both barrels is what I love to do.

Ya the travel blows! I have been doing the Dubai route these last few times as got tired of trying to use miles or getting bent over on Delta First Class.

I’m not going this next summer for the travel reason. Looking to do an Argentina wing shooting combo again instead.

My booking Agent wants me to go to Argentina as well. I might.

I just did the Emirates, Dubai route, as follows. PHX-LAX 1.5 hours. 4 hours layover. LAX-Dubai 16 hours, 13 hour layover in Dubai. Dubai-Dar es Salaam. 6 hours. overnight in Dar at a complete shithole. we were warned...DO NOT GO OUTSIDE... I was reminded of that movie, 13 Hours. Back to Airport in morning, 2-1/2 hour flight to Bukoba via Mwanza. 5 hours to camp.

On the return, we had to overnight again in Dar. I insisted on the Sea Cliff. Long drive across town but its right on the Indian Ocean and its super nice.

At least Emirates put us up in their 5-star hotel at no cost, picked up at airport in a Limo. It was about 10PM when we got picked up. When I walked outside, the heat hit me like a freight-train. It had to be 115 outside. Heck I live in Phoenix and it hit me hard.

Looking back, the torture of the trip is wearing off, I'm beginning to think about Maasai-land next year. Buffalo are really big there late in the year. Likely never beat 49 though.

Cal and I are pals. He actually edits all my writing. I have had quite a few magazine articles published. We went to Australia together on a DR only Buffalo hunt. He smoked a bull with his 600NE right between the eyes. I think the video is on his site. He live out in the bush in Willow AK, I've been to his home. He has a range, literally in his front yard.

Took this picture from in front of my tent.

IMG_1544.JPG

McKay

Reaction score
Very nice, ya do masailand once. I did a double buff hunt there. Gobes of big buff, in horn and especially body. Some cool unique plains game as well. Did not care a whole lot for all the locals, but not much you can do about that.

McKay

Reaction score
Very nice, ya do masailand once. I did a double buff hunt there. Gobes of big buff, in horn and especially body. Some cool unique plains game as well. Did not care a whole lot for all the locals, but not much you can do about that.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

Yea, This last hunt was with Wayne Grant, author of "Into The Thorns". He is one of the fine gentleman of the game. He told me the same thing. You'll be looking at a Lesser Kudu or something and some Masai will walk buy with a herd of cattle. Wear red capes and stalk pretty close.

Who did you hunt with? Mike Fell, whom I hunted CAR with keeps bugging me to go with him. He's with Adam Clements now I believe.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
This is what we ran into. Ibanda is a game reserve. The Watusi owner was warned to not let them feed in the reserve. After they came through camp the second time. Our game scout, Lawrence "arrested" the entire herd. The owner had to pay a fine of 75.00 per head to get them back.

IMG_2598.JPG

McKay

Reaction score
Hunted with Luke Samaris. Don’t think they hold their masailand concession anymore.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Hunted with Luke Samaris. Don’t think they hold their masailand concession anymore.

I think Adam Clements got it? The last re-alignment was a goat rope. Wayne wasn't sure we would hunt Ibanda/Rumanyika until about two months prior my hunt. I was the second Safari of the year. Thats wasn't much time to build a proper East African Safari camp.

Last edited:

McKay

Reaction score
Lukes camps where nothing too special. Been in much nicer pretty much every other safari I have been on.