WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tasty Red Wines??

floatn turd

Reaction score
So my ol' bag wants to start drinking Red Wine for some god awful reason.

We know less than zero about wines n shit.
(it's kind'a gay to me)

Any tasty wines she should try??

Oh, and here's a picture of her first bottle she for your troubles. :cool:

FT
IMG_5493.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
I'm not a big wine guy but tried a brand called "Justin" at my dad's place. Made me rethink on wine, I enjoyed it

Sandlord

Reaction score
start with price range. Then try Cabs and blends and see what you like.

ultrajet

Reaction score
For the money Markham Merlot (Napa valley) is a good starter red and you can get it at the grocery store for under 20$

floatn turd

Reaction score
And I'll keep an eye out for the suggested bottles.

Thank you guys.
👍 👍

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I hated wine.... then I went wine tasting with my family. Now I very much enjoy red wine and the incredible variety of them. If we weren't still in partial lock down I'd suggest just going to do a wine tasting trip in Paso. Taste as many varietals and blends as possible. Sometimes the most common ones aren't a persons favorite. For example i really enjoy Malbecs and Tempernillos. They tend to be a bit less tanic (that is the bite thats left in your mouth after drinking) and a little smoother. Thats why tasting trips are great to expose you to so many different varieties and flavors out there.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TeamGreene

Reaction score
My wife’s daily is Ménage de trio it’s 6.99 at Costco. It’s a red blend. The yummy stuff in our price range is Ripasso Valpoicella. The first vintage was 2009 and it was yummy. Just got some for Mother’s Day and it was 2016 which I’m told was good too.
3262986B-ADFC-45DA-AC53-A62BA16017DE.jpeg

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
if just starting out with Reds... start with Red Blends, also, go to the winery's for some tastings.... they help with the pairings.... also different foods will make a difference.....

My Honey and I best experience was a nice dining experience in Vegas at the Stratosphere restaurant.... we selected their wine pairing meal... five selected wines with each course.... it was GREAT.. my Honey got wasted and I had a Great experience after that meal... LOL

ultrajet

Reaction score
I guess kink of cheap $20 -30 maybe.
We drink Whiskey.
So, I don't really know.
If you’re not used to red wine then stick with California Merlot and Cabernet due to the extensive oak flavor . Zinfandels are great but they’re jammy ( they’re great for holidays). Pinot Noir is awesome but generally most wine drinkers graduate from Cabs and merlots to learn to appreciate Pinot . It’s not for everybody . At your price range I recommend Markham, Alexander Valley Vineyards , Girard Napa Valley , Whitehall Lane vineyards, even Robert Mondavi Napa ( not the cheap shit)

floatn turd

Reaction score
Sounds good, I will have her read all this business.
Thank you gentlemen.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
So my ol' bag wants to start drinking Red Wine for some god awful reason.

We know less than zero about wines n shit.
(it's kind'a gay to me)

Any tasty wines she should try??

Oh, and here's a picture of her first bottle she for your troubles. :cool:

FT
View attachment 885235
You can bring her down here to Temecula, wife and I can babysit and hit up some wineries too.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Semi off topic,

Can anyone recommend where to go wine tasting? Or better yet a company that does round trips from Orange County?

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Not a wine guy either but I'd buy her Caymus because they are suing Newscum/ Ca over the hoax , and it's real good shit from what I've tasted--
I think Caymus is fantastic, and expensive. But now it’s number one if they are suing that douchebag Newsom. I believe Plumpjack is very close to Caymus, which makes it ever more sweet that they hat Gavin too.

Seriously though, go tasting in Sonoma or Napa. Great fun and you’ll learn what you think tastes good to you.

Sandlord

Reaction score
while the sweet ones may taste good at first, you'll eventually grow away from them.
You can get Paso Robles wine for 1/2-2/3 the price of Napa, and never know the dif.
Once you get used to CA wines, try one from Argentina or S. America. you'll only do it once.
Good 10-15$ wines are Chronic, Troublemaker, Stick Figure, Prophesy, Justin, and my wife's favorite Daou.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I guess kink of cheap $20 -30 maybe.
We drink Whiskey.
So, I don't really know.

just picked up a Elijah 18 yesterday . mmmm 👍

For table wine, like a Roth, Little more a staggs leap (lower priced ones) Then very special Quintessa.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I think Caymus is fantastic, and expensive. But now it’s number one if they are suing that douchebag Newsom. I believe Plumpjack is very close to Caymus, which makes it ever more sweet that they hat Gavin too.

Seriously though, go tasting in Sonoma or Napa. Great fun and you’ll learn what you think tastes good to you.

Caymus is a good pick.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Just curious why is she starting on reds? I personally love them but also like white and even a rose. Red wine on a 100 degree day by the pool is no bueno.

Frank Family Cabernet is good and won't totally break the bank, but still more than $20-30

ultrajet

Reaction score
Santa Barbara county is awesome for tasting . Los Olivos, buellton , Lompoc ( the wine ghetto ) , Santa Maria , arroyo grande , San Luis Obispo ( Edna valley ) . Some of the finest Pinot Noir the planet has to offer

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
There are many good wine areas in California. My suggestion would be to try some of the smaller and less known. Clarksburg, lodi, Amador are all great values. obviously some are junk but as a region they have great wines for a good value. Also allows some good get away trips with the wife without going crazy in price like Napa. Napa / Sonoma are good overall but massively overpriced in general.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Get this app on your phone...you take a pic of the label and it gives you an average rating of the wine and many more things.

floatn turd

Reaction score
Just curious why is she starting on reds? I personally love them but also like white and even a rose. Red wine on a 100 degree day by the pool is no bueno.

Frank Family Cabernet is good and won't totally break the bank, but still more than $20-30

I truly have no clue.
I have never head the word "wine" out of her mouf till today.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Mogen David has a great 20/20 blended wine.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Black Ink blend for $8 is a good every day wine or Justin Isoceles wine for special occasions ($60+).

Stag's Leap and J. Lohr Merlot or Cab Sav's are also great wines for about $30, if you get them at Costco.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
There are many good wine areas in California. My suggestion would be to try some of the smaller and less known. Clarksburg, lodi, Amador are all great values. obviously some are junk but as a region they have great wines for a good value. Also allows some good get away trips with the wife without going crazy in price like Napa. Napa / Sonoma are good overall but massively overpriced in general.

Completely agree with Lodi and amador. Very fun trip. We did an air bnb in fiddletown. 100 bucks a night for a 3 bedroom house on acerage. No tasting fees and really good wine. Filled the SUV with wine for the drive home.

Some of my favorites are anything by orwin swift. Caymus and silver oak are great but expensive. Some good zins in the 20-30 dollar range bottles are oak ridge, sobon, truett Hurst and ridge.

Last edited:

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Go to Costco and look/find different wines with a high point number that's in your price point, they will have many varieties of 90+ point wines.
There are numerous trusted wine publications that taste thousands of wines each year and give each one a rating out of 100 , Find a
Wine Spectator's or Wine Enthusiast magazine and check out best buys.

Wine Spectator's 100-Point Scale

• 95-100 Classic: a great wine
  • 90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style
  • 85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities
  • 80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine
  • 75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws
  • 50-74 Not recommended

squeezer

Reaction score
Amerone...

0D197050-F519-4CAD-A8AF-FBF061F3602F.jpeg

Its our go to... It’s not a type of grape or specific label as much as a process (Specific to a region in Northern Italy) The grapes are dried before fermenting, this magnifies and concentrates the flavors. Definitely NOT a light drinking sit by the pool wine.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yeah, the tastings really are the key. Everybody's tastes and preferences are different so no matter how many we all recommend on here, you and/or your wife's preferences may be COMPLETELY different. Some prefer the bigger, fuller bodied Cabs and Merlots while others prefer syrahs, malbecs, and tempernillos. All have very different structures and tastes in general. Then different wineries have different flavors for each variety they grow as well. For example I know of a cold weather grown Zinfandel from a Paso winery that has more pepper flavor in it towards the back of the taste than anything I have ever had from anywhere. I LOVED it. My parents didn't and we're usually pretty similar in preferences.

So go taste as many as possible. At the wineries is even better as the scenery is great, the staff is knowledgeable, and many times you'll get to meet and talk to the winemaker themselves. Also, don't waste your money going to Napa and if you really want to try reds, don't go to Temecula. Napa is overpriced by a LARGE margin and is such a touristed place that you rarely get that personal experience. Temecula is primarily a white wine region due to it being a warmer climate without the coastal daily temperature swings.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I buy / tryall kinds of wines 8-20$ if i like I take a picture if good bad toss them out it’s only a few bucks but I do like wine

Last edited:

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
You are getting recommendations all over the map in this thread, and several of the bottles that have been recommended are 2-3x your price range. It's like recommending $100+ bottles of whiskey to someone who wants to start drinking bourbon, when they can just start with Bulleit/Four Roses/etc and see if they acquire the taste for it or not.

For $20-30, you can find a lot of good bottles to drink. If you have a Total Wine store near you, go there and ask them for recommendations in your price range. Their prices are good and they have tasting bars inside the stores where you can try a few different ones, although I don't know if they are still doing tastings with all of the covid stuff going on.

If you don't have a Total Wine near you, go into Costco and pick a few different bottles in your price range and try them out. Costco typically carries good quality wines at various price points.

SKIA36

Reaction score
Old Vine Zinfindels are spectacular big bold wines in your price range.

French Bordeaux and Italian reds(Amarone, Barolo, Sangiovese, Brunello) different and usually very reasonably priced.

Like mentioned previously, try a few and see what your palate is! The journey is fantastic!

I prefer Cabs from the Stags Leap district of Napa, 5-7 yrs old.
1. Joseph Phelps Insignia
2. Dominus
3. Silver Oak
4. Sterling Reserve

And there are SO MANY excellent red blends, Cab Francs, Merlots, Pinot Noirs etc...

fmo24

Reaction score
Funny we were just at Costco this morning. I never noticed Kirkland label wind before today. Very reasonable if tasty

River Runnin

Reaction score
After drinking Louis Xlll out of red Solo cups, I have no taste and told not to comment! :D

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
We started out liking the sweet red blends like Stella Rosa and Barefoot but now enjoy some cabernets like Robert Mondave black label and Hess

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Grads make a Good point. Red wines are not what to start out with. Someone else said the same thing.

Go grab a couple bottles of Berringers White Zinfandel and see what you guys think of that.

I always have a couple bottles is stock. Serve it ice cold. 👍

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Grads make a Good point. Red wines are not what to start out with. Someone else said the same thing.

Go grab a couple bottles of Berringers White Zinfandel and see what you guys think of that.

I always have a couple bottles is stock. Serve it ice cold. 👍
And the aspirin for the next day. 😂

Total Wine and find one of the folks walking around. Tell them you don’t know squat about wine, and a price range. They’ll ask you a couple questions and find you a couple bottles.

If you are social and your friends want to learn more about wines have a blind tasting party. Choose a varietal like a French Rose, or Chardonnay, or a Zinfandel and have each couple bring a bottle of each. Set a price range.

it’s an awesome way to figure out what you like in a specific type and you get drilled with friends.

chicks dig it too. 😉😉