WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tasty Red Wines??

caribbean20

Reaction score
So my ol' bag wants to start drinking Red Wine for some god awful reason.

We know less than zero about wines n shit.
(it's kind'a gay to me)

Any tasty wines she should try??

Oh, and here's a picture of her first bottle she for your troubles. :cool:

FT
View attachment 885235
Uh, what was the question again . . . Easily distracted.

ultrajet

Reaction score
407B4654-549F-494D-871F-EC3FE1514887.jpeg

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Grads make a Good point. Red wines are not what to start out with. Someone else said the same thing.

Go grab a couple bottles of Berringers White Zinfandel and see what you guys think of that.

I always have a couple bottles is stock. Serve it ice cold. 👍

You still wearing Uggs, bro? 😆

calkid

Reaction score
Stay away from anything that says "cupcake", "menage a trois" or any other catchy shit on the label. Some good inexpensive "daily" Cabs IMHO:
. Coppola Ivory label
. Coppola Directors Cut
. Edge
. Educated Guess
. Raymond & Raymond Reserve
. Joel Gott
. J Lohr
. Invetro Renieri (an awesome blend of
Sangiovese, Cabernet and Merlot)
Cheers

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Grandfather owned grape vineyards so I grew up farming grapes as a kid.

In the 20 dollar range I'm fond of La Crema and Oakridge. Little higher end, Cake Bread.

traquer

Reaction score
So... since you guys got me thinking about wine recently.. I was in Total Wine today and was browsing the high-end section (just for fun) and saw this bottle... Very typical Hungarian family name from Napa valley (I'm Hungarian as well) so I had to buy it! It was $70. Their highest-end bottle was $950.

This $70 was worth every drop. My favorite vineyard to date!

1591501898656.png

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
And the aspirin for the next day. 😂

Total Wine and find one of the folks walking around. Tell them you don’t know squat about wine, and a price range. They’ll ask you a couple questions and find you a couple bottles.

If you are social and your friends want to learn more about wines have a blind tasting party. Choose a varietal like a French Rose, or Chardonnay, or a Zinfandel and have each couple bring a bottle of each. Set a price range.

it’s an awesome way to figure out what you like in a specific type and you get drilled with friends.

chicks dig it too. 😉😉

This brings up a Good point...

Do Not get drunk on wine. Any wine! Most of us learned this in high school. If you didn't, now you know.

EBT531

Reaction score
Kinda surprised to one mentioned these:

Prisoner wine company “the prisoner”

Mondavi momentum

sirbob

Reaction score
Seriously - is this thread really about wine? 😊

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Do Not get drunk on wine. Any wine! Most of us learned this in high school. If you didn't, now you know.
Sometimes. I've had horrible hangovers from wine and very mild hangovers from wine usually all involve 2 bottles worth. I haven't kept track enough or cared enough to try to figure out the reason but it is hit or miss.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HBCraig

Reaction score
Old Vine Zinfindels are spectacular big bold wines in your price range.

French Bordeaux and Italian reds(Amarone, Barolo, Sangiovese, Brunello) different and usually very reasonably priced.

Like mentioned previously, try a few and see what your palate is! The journey is fantastic!

I prefer Cabs from the Stags Leap district of Napa, 5-7 yrs old.
1. Joseph Phelps Insignia
2. Dominus
3. Silver Oak
4. Sterling Reserve

And there are SO MANY excellent red blends, Cab Francs, Merlots, Pinot Noirs etc...
Agree

For a reasonable price, I forgot to add 2 more
-Justin.
- Carson Ridge , see pic. This is hands down the best we have had in the $15-$20 range.

Lastly, if you don't mind $50 or so at Total Wine, get Freemark Abbey . This is my " go to" when out with customers. Its about $120 at a good steakhouse
15915444230208627165888741559908.jpg

20200607_083540.jpg

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
I guess kink of cheap $20 -30 maybe.
We drink Whiskey.
So, I don't really know.

I drink allot of Ca and OR reds in the $20-150 range and came across a unique Pinot Noir at a Sales Event last week that was pretty good in your range; Purple Heart. Learned that a portion of the sales is donated to Veterans. Keep in mind that there are some health benefits to drinking the red of course in moderation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Kinda surprised to one mentioned these:

Prisoner wine company “the prisoner”

Mondavi momentum

The prisoner is still a damn good wine but it has fallen off a bit since Dave phinney sold the brand. Used to be under 30 a bottle but constellation the new owner has bumped that to nearly 50. He only sold the label and got 285mm. He also sold his orwin swift brand to gallo wines for an undisclosed amount after his success with the location series of wines and some of the higher end labels under swift. The location wines are a great value for the money (normally around 15-25 dollars) they use euro style license plates for the label. The locations are blends that highlight the grapes from each region. http://www.locationswine.com i highy reccomend the italian and argentina version with bbq. sadly these too have fallen off since the sale but are still very drinkable especially for the price.

He took the money and bought a nice chunk of mare island in vallejo. Where he has opened savage and cooke distillery. savage and cooke is part of the nimitz group and they have plans to build what they are calling the wet mile. A mile long stretch of wineries, distilleries, restaurants and bars using the original buildings from the old navy base (the first in california) on mare island. He also owns a few vineyards and farms where he sources the water and grain for the distillery. His bourbon burning chair was named one of the 20 best bourbons or the 21st century so far by rob report. Not bad for a first swing lol.

His latest wine release is called 8 years in the desert. Part of the prisoner sale was an 8 year non compete preventing phinney from making another zin. Well that 8 years is over and it is fantastic. I would recommend it highly if you like the prisoner.

Phinney is by far my favorite wine maker.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Duckhorn
Cakebread
Gelfan
Opus

I'll bet you get the "ol bags" knees all knocking when you turn on the charm like that.
Thats for the rack shot in any case - nice.

UD

ultrajet

Reaction score
😂😂
I love Sideways! Although just like Napoleon Dynamite, the first time I watched it I absolutely hated it. Took me a couple times to warm up to it. Now it's one of my faves.

I think this movie alone killed the Merlot industry. 😂 😂

The irony of that scene is that his most prized possession was a 1961 Cheval Blanc which is a Merlot based wine

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes. I've had horrible hangovers from wine and very mild hangovers from wine usually all involve 2 bottles worth. I haven't kept track enough or cared enough to try to figure out the reason but it is hit or miss.

I've never drank more than one bottle of wine, and even that bottle was shared. (Since high school anyway).

Wine is Not for getting drunk on, unless you enjoy feeling like shit! LoL

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've never drank more than one bottle of wine, and even that bottle was shared. (Since high school anyway).

Wine is Not for getting drunk on, unless you enjoy feeling like shit! LoL
That wasn't the intention , just a byproduct of enjoying the great tasting wine.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Our personal favorite is Chateau Pavie a Bordeaux red blend. On the pricier side for for blend, but definitely on the better end of any blend easily obtainable. Most years are great, but we have a few bottles of the 2003 and 05 right now.

Edit, I'm sorry I meant Two Buck Chuck not Chateau Pavie. :D

Last edited:

ultrajet

Reaction score
Our personal favorite is Chateau Pavie a Bordeaux red blend. On the pricier side for for blend, but definitely on the better end of any blend easily obtainable. Most years are great, but we have a few bottles of the 2003 and 05 right now.

They’re all blends in Bordeaux . CabSauv , Merlot , Cab Franc . Depending on what side of the river typically dictates whether it’s Merlot based or Cab based . Pavie is top notch St Emilion . There are some serious ballers on this site . Let me know when you guys want to get together for a blind tasting , lol ☺️

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
They’re all blends in Bordeaux . CabSauv , Merlot , Cab Franc . Depending on what side of the river typically dictates whether it’s Merlot based or Cab based . Pavie is top notch St Emilion . There are some serious ballers on this site . Let me know when you guys want to get together for a blind tasting , lol ☺

I'm sure you didn't see my edit. hahaha. We like a good wine but Pavie is not in my wheelhouse! :D

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

My wife, in her 60's, can't even be in a room or next to a person drinking wine!! Been this way since she was a junior in high school. :)

Bails

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread so someone my have already said...... Cost Co - under $20 with an over 90 pt. score.
That way you can figure out what you like without breaking the bank.

The truth is something I've learned over the years is wine taste depends on who you are drinking it with.

Always Floored

Reaction score
13 bucks a bottle at almost any grocery store. Aged in Whiskey Barrels. Our go to favorite.
shopping.jpeg