WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Taxes : I Owe Uncle Sam

Spectra18

Reaction score
Damn guess I didn’t pay enough taxes last year. Now I owe $4-5. Man I was gonna go to Vegas, guess that’s canceled.

Anyone else finding they owe more ?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I'm getting close to $8K back this year...which will promptly go to pay the second installment of my property taxes. This was the first year I had an income property for the whole year and also the first time in my adult life that I switched jobs...I went fairly conservative on my withholdings at the new company because I didn't know where things would end up, and I always like to get a little back rather than pay. I will be changing withholding a bit I think.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
my w4 apparently says im single this year. been married for 8 years.

giphy.gif

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Haven’t seen a refund in 20+ years.
I imagine it will be north of 20k this year
The thing that always pisses me off-is seeing tax returns where someone pays less than $500 in taxes all year and get a 4K refund. Never understood how broken our tax system is until I saw that.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Paid over $12,000 additional last year even after what I withheld from my checks. I quickly went to no exemptions on my W4 and quick math shows I still owe another $6,000 this year. Wouldn’t mind if like the above there weren’t people who don’t pay shit getting refunds of more than they paid in and if the government didn’t waste our money like $32 Million for Robert Mueller hoax investigations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
I cant remember the last time I had a refund. :mad:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I don’t know how most don't get a refund if you are W2. My whole working career I’ve received a refund. Now 2 kids (7) and stay at home wife. Still get $$$$ back, to a point I should change my dependents higher to lower my refund.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I don’t know how most don't get a refund if you are W2. My whole working career I’ve received a refund. Now 2 kids (7) and stay at home wife. Still get $$$$ back, to a point I should change my dependents higher to lower my refund.

You answered your own question...most people I’ve discussed it with, adjust their dependents accordingly, so they aren’t loaning money interest-free to the .gov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So are all of you who are paying each year claiming 0 all year? Or are you earning so much that you are hit again?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You answered your own question...most people I’ve discussed it with, adjust their dependents accordingly, so they aren’t loaning money interest-free to the .gov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would give the majority the benefit of doubt that you can’t claim 9 and then bitch you have to pay at the end. The real goal is close to 0 as possible.

EBT531

Reaction score
I got a refund every year of my life until Trump. I like Trump, but his reform killed my deductions. No more home office etc.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I claim zero and pay every year. 2 kids mortgage etc... Will be launching LLC this year.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I claim zero and pay every year. 2 kids mortgage etc... Will be launching LLC this year.
Just set mine up at the end of December to avoid paying the fee for 2019. $600 through Legal Zoom.

2018 we owed $2400 to Feds and got $4400 back from the state. Child tax credits helped tremendously as well as the short term rental in Havasu.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I just have to ask how some are paying $20k at the end of the year and not being penalized.
My overtime is all over the place. Some weeks are almost triple what base pay is. I claim more dependents due to that because the numbers get skewed.
My wife freaks, but it has always worked out since I have received a W-2.

I go out of my way to not give free loans to any Government.

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
As an owner of an S-Corp, it really hurts when my year-end 'bonus' ALL goes to withholding.
I feel your pain, I had a excellent year (new record)! And it all pushed through. I was giving money to to every 501c3 I could find in late December and buying trucks and equipment like I won the damn lottery.

Boat 405

Reaction score
As an owner of an S-Corp, it really hurts when my year-end 'bonus' ALL goes to withholding.
With my s corp, I short pay myself all year long so that I have plenty to cover taxes and whatever doesn't go to IRS goes to me as a bonus.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
With my s corp, I short pay myself all year long so that I have plenty to cover taxes and whatever doesn't go to IRS goes to me as a bonus.
Not sure I follow you. I do know you have to take a 'reasonable' salary, but I'm afraid of not withholding enough and getting the penalty. I think they waived some penalties last year due to the new tax rules confusion.

That aside, the new pass-through (20%) is awesome! But then the State and Local tax loss of deductions suck.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I feel your pain, I had a excellent year (new record)! And it all pushed through. I was giving money to to every 501c3 I could find in late December and buying trucks and equipment like I won the damn lottery.
I like buying stuff. I don't like buying stuff just for a deduction though.

Congratulations on a good year. Hoping the economy stays good!!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I claim Married 10 for Fed (M8 for state) and still get a refund. Mainly due to child tax credits. Between state and Fed it’s a total $2500 refund this year. Per IRS’s new withholding calculator, I’ll leave it alone for 2020. Also, after 2020, there won’t be a state return so less work with the #2 pencil at tax time. I’m going to be the last mail in tax return individual. Lol

Boat 405

Reaction score
Not sure I follow you. I do know you have to take a 'reasonable' salary, but I'm afraid of not withholding enough and getting the penalty. I think they waived some penalties last year due to the new tax rules confusion.

That aside, the new pass-through (20%) is awesome! But then the State and Local tax loss of deductions suck.
Basically for the past 20 years I'm very conservative what I paid myself each month, basic minimum to keep things paid without going into debt. Then by end of year I either get nothing and all goes to taxes (rare) or I get to give myself a nice bonus (what my actually yearly salary ends up being). As an example each year I paid myself half of what I made the year prior. So, I make 100,000 previous year. I pay myself 50,000 the next year, and then I know I'm totally good for taxes.