WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Teardrop trailers

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Anyone use one for camping? Been kicking the idea around for a little bit.

I don't have anything that will pull a big RV, and I detest sleeping in a tent. Thought about a pop-up or A-frame trailer, but I don't want to mess with a bunch of set-up and take-down either.

Tear-drops look like a neat idea, with enclosed sleeping (no rain or wind issues) and they all have a galley of sorts for cooking. Mostly this would be for short over night trips to local rec areas, just me and the kiddos. So, hang out outside and then crawl in to sleep, kind of like a hardsided tent.

From what I can find most are very cheaply made, even the spendy ones. Mostly plywood construction with metal or phylon laminated on the outside.

Just curious if anyone had any real world experience with these.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My wife really wants us to get a small trailer like that. I'm against it since we really don't have the room and with having to store it somewhere adds cost. Along with the added cost is the out of sight out of mind deal where you might not use it because of the hassles of having to ge tit out of storage. I tell her that I'd rather just rent one for the times we want to go camping.

Anyone consider buying a trailer or motorhome, please contact my son-in-law, Brandon Peppard at Camping World in Santa Clarita.

Im not sure where youre located, but theres a place here in socal that rents them.

http://www.rentoffthegrid.com/off-road-teardrop-trailer/

Id rent one a handful of times to see if the novelty wears off before buying one.

Have you looked at other micro trailers? Something like the Rockwood geo pro 14fk or G15tb?

BajaMike

Reaction score
Im not sure where youre located, but theres a place here in socal that rents them.

Id rent one a handful of times to see if the novelty wears off before buying one.

Have you looked at other micro trailers? Something like the Rockwood geo pro 14fk or G15tb?

Those are cute little trailers, I would like to try one, but a rental is $115 a night. Seems high, can’t you rent a full sized 22’ trailer for that much money a night!

Anyone have a link to a trailer rental place in the Coachella Valley?

43E46BA9-0678-436B-9E08-942A7C16AEA2.jpeg

572615B8-A0D9-4C27-9837-60CDCE7641EB.jpeg

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Those are cute little trailers, I would like to try one, but a rental is $115 a night. Seems high, can’t you rent a full sized 22’ trailer for that much money a night!

Anyone have a link to a trailer rental place in the Coachella Valley?

Youre essentially paying for the convenience of being able to tow it with almost anything......even a prius lol

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Most any of the TT style campers are to heavy. I'm limited to about 2k lbs, I didn't get the tow package when I bought my Acadia. Having AC and stuff like a Microwave is cool, but largely useless since most of the camp grounds don't have hook ups. So that is extra weight I don't really need to haul around.

Rockwood does make a 12 footer that would work though.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I had a pop up for a while before I was married. 10 foot that expanded to 16 livable. Tooke me about 30-45 min to setup and the same to break down. Wind and extreme heat was the only issues. Had a heater that would keep inside 80 degrees even if 10 degree's outside. Only issue with tear drop is you can't stand up and if weather is bad (wind, rain, snow, etc) you don't want to be cooking outside.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Youre essentially paying for the convenience of being able to tow it with almost anything......even a prius lol

I got it. I’ve got a 2500 HD Crew. I can handle anything. It kinda has a “retro” feel and look, but at thatpri I’d get a full trailer.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
My dad has a teardrop and absolutely loves it. He has taken it all over the country. He finds the size to be really efficient. He carries solar panels, a tiny little tent out house, and a small Honda generator. He fabricated a metal storage box for the front. I'll ask him to send me some pics. I know there are a lot of forums for those where guys really trick them out.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
My dad has a teardrop and absolutely loves it. He has taken it all over the country. He finds the size to be really efficient. He carries solar panels, a tiny little tent out house, and a small Honda generator. He fabricated a metal storage box for the front. I'll ask him to send me some pics. I know there are a lot of forums for those where guys really trick them out.

I searched a couple places that sell plans and precut kits, so that is an option.

Forest River sells a kind of hybrid Teardrop/pop-up that looks interesting. And I found one manufacturer that lists a no-frills TD for about 8k.

I'd love to see pictures of his set up.

thmterry

Reaction score
Seems like you would have to lay down to put on pants in a trailer that small.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
We camp a few times a year. Cheaper to rent. No storage cost, no repair costs, no monthly payment, no hassles.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I finally got the pics for ya.
He installed a full size tool box on the front
IMG_1429.JPG

He installed a 5lb. Propane tank inside the tool box instead of the original 20lb. 120 amp hour battery and game charger, jacks, wheel chicks, cords, etc.
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_3792.JPG

120v charger plug, Zamp solar plug, and electric Brake controller
IMG_6158.JPG

This was the original setup, and with kayaks on the roof, they would hit the bike when turning.
IMG_0176.JPG

He now installed a 2" receiver on the back for the bike rack.
ED9E8092-E376-4354-BDC5-071278D594A8.JPG

They come with cheap scissor jack, so he replaced those with Heavy Duty jacks with 12" of travel for Boondocking on uneven ground.
IMG_2570.JPG

He put a yakima rack on it with a foxwing awning and a ski box for outdoor carpets and poles.
IMG_7030.JPG

The kitchen out back works well with the awning and sidewall up.
IMG_0601.JPG

There is also a side awning and tent, for when your partner snores too much or maybe your dog takes up too much room. It makes a pretty good sized covered area. It's also nice to change in, and store stuff while you are asleep.
IMG_2495.JPG

The jacks in the back can fold up for traveling, but he stores them in the tool box up front to keep the dirt and salt off them.
IMG_2173.JPG

And the thing I give my dad the most "shit about" is his little tent porta potty. He sets this up so he can shit in a bag.
IMG_2546.PNG

Backlash

Reaction score
Cool little trailers! Most of them are small and somewhat cramped. Usually room enough for two though. Sitting headroom only and yes, you have to lay down to get dressed. They are neat but limited. Like a Canoe. :D

What about a little tiny Casita trailer? Larger than a teardrop, but not too big to tow with a small vehicle.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Your dad has a great set-up!