WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tell me about Ocotillo Wells

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I just got my trailer last weekend. Went to the beach and had a good time. We are going to try a week or so out in the desert come January. Where do I want to go? If I stay out there long, are there places to dump my tanks? Hookups? Is it just the middle of the desert?

pw383426

Reaction score
Camping ground pretty much. In the high desert. Good for dirt bikes and trucks, not so much fun for quads and buggys

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
We do Ocotillo at least 90% of our trips. And we ride quads. We have pretty much everything in our group:bikes, quads, SXS, and buggies. I love it there. It all dry camping except for one or two little campgrounds. The ranger station has a dump.

We basically drive our rigs a mile or two and sometimes 3 off the highway, find a good spot, make the wagon train and call it home for the weekend.

A bunch of us are heading out Christmas until New years. :beer

Some of my fellow Ocotillo lovers can give you more details, I have to get back to work now.

:D

ps. I don't think Ocotillo is high desert PW, the salton sea is below sea level and that is not far. :hmm

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Are the hot springs still going out there? It was about a 45 minute ride approx I think to the salton sea from O.W.

pw383426

Reaction score
Hmm you could be right, I just assumed because of only being a few minutes past Julian.

I enjoyed riding there, but that's cause I enjoy riding. I just love cruising in soft sand. After a weekend at Ocotillo my bike had scratches and dents, my muscles were sore, and I was dirty lol. Still fun for close it was to East County for me though. But for all out weekends I just prefer sand

Duffster

Reaction score
Cool place go to the Iron Door and have a few beers. Back when I was riding two wheelers all the time I thought it was the best place to ride. Was speedo clocked on my 88 CR500 on the road over 100mph.:skull

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
If you are looking for sand, Ocotillo is not the place. :D

But we enjoy getting dirty and have had many many many fun times there!

:beer

essexjet

Reaction score
I just got my trailer last weekend. Went to the beach and had a good time. We are going to try a week or so out in the desert come January. Where do I want to go? If I stay out there long, are there places to dump my tanks? Hookups? Is it just the middle of the desert?

Matt no hook ups and you can dump at the Arco station off of 86 express and 66th avenue in Cochella.

knuckle head

Reaction score

There are a couple places to dump out there. I have a rail and dirt bikes and I love it out there. If you want to go with a large group the first time we are planning a trip for the weekend of the 25-27 of January with a bunch of (Former) HBers (I guess we are RDPers now :D ) here is a link to some pics from previous trips. http://www.knuckle-heads.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There are a couple places to dump out there. I have a rail and dirt bikes and I love it out there. If you want to go with a large group the first time we are planning a trip for the weekend of the 25-27 of January with a bunch of (Former) HBers (I guess we are RDPers now :D ) here is a link to some pics from previous trips. http://www.knuckle-heads.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10

If my house is completely done by then Stacy and I are all in! :)

RD

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Is it all pretty much hard pack where I won't get stuck with my two wheel drive?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Is it all pretty much hard pack where I won't get stuck with my two wheel drive?

There are a few sandy washes here and there...but guys run pre-runner rangers all over the place without getting stuck. if you are asking about the truck/trailer getting stuck. mine is a 2wd too and there is only one spot it was ever close to getting stuck. every where else is pretty much grated roads in and out.
________
San jose assembly plant

Last edited:

dezertrider

Reaction score
The Ranger station closed there dump station late last year. Just about a 2 miles past the ranger station is a RV resort called Desert Ironwoods. 10$ to dump and about 10$ to fill your water tanks. Ocotillo is about 160square miles of legal riding area. Most people hang near the ranger station but there is allot of remote riding where you wont see anyone even on the Holiday weekends.

:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil:hotdevil:beer

knuckle head

Reaction score
Ocotillo last presidents day weekend.

Another View:
251Ocotillo_Camp.jpg

dezertrider

Reaction score
There are a few sandy washes here and there...but guys run pre-runner rangers all over the place without getting stuck. if you are asking about the truck/trailer getting stuck. mine is a 2wd too and there is only one spot it was ever close to getting stuck. every where else is pretty much grated roads in and out.[/QUOTE

2WD is just fine out there. I can take my 2wd Expidition through the hole park

78Hondo Cruiser

Reaction score
Pretty much anywhere you camp there is hard pack which makes it really easy if all you have is 2wd. Nothing like waking up on I think its S2 riding across Ocotillo early in the morning and getting breakfast at desert rose.

Kyle

knuckle head

Reaction score
There are a few sandy washes here and there...but guys run pre-runner rangers all over the place without getting stuck. if you are asking about the truck/trailer getting stuck. mine is a 2wd too and there is only one spot it was ever close to getting stuck. every where else is pretty much grated roads in and out.[/QUOTE

2WD is just fine out there. I can take my 2wd Expidition through the hole park

Just in case you see this bush and your wife tells you not to try and make a U-turn around it you may want to listen to her :smackhead
Bush.jpg

The only time I got stuck while pulling my trailer:swear

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Imagine the dustiest place on earth;)

Cool hard pack riding area that would be 1000X better if it rained 2 days before you show up.

I have been there 2X and had fun. With that said I would go back with a group to chill and party but it wouldn't be my 1/2/3 choice:D:eek:

knuckle head

Reaction score

Cool hard pack riding area that would be 1000X better if it rained 2 days before you show up.

I have been there 2X and had fun. With that said I would go back with a group to chill and party but it wouldn't be my 1/2/3 choice:D:eek:

A little dirt never hurt anyone :D

dezertrider

Reaction score

Was out this past weekend and there was mud puddles from the previous storms

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
All the pictures are making me really excited for our New Years trip!!!! :D

dezertrider

Reaction score
So Rinda?

Who is planning the big Feast?

We need to do that again

knuckle head

Reaction score
One of the best parts about Ocotillo is for some reason no matter what direction you go when you leave camp you always end up in the same place:hmm

22%7E2.jpg

:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
One of the best parts about Ocotillo is for some reason no matter what direction you go when you leave camp you always end up in the same place:hmm

22%7E2.jpg

Just don't order 2 orders of nachos because the bartendar will threaten to punch you in the face. :eek:

dezertrider

Reaction score

22%7E2.jpg

Its not a Bar it the IRON DOOR:beer

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
It means it's not just any bar it's the IRON DOOR!!!

and we don't take you because we know you will never leave :D

Im gonna find GPS coordinates and go alone then. If u guys end up missing me...you will know where to find me :beer

<---amazed he has never been there.:swear
________
Angelina jolie

Last edited:

Ca Sean

Reaction score

Yeah it was pretty dusty the one time you met us out there. Even with the dusty conditions it's still a blast.

57976348-M.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yeah it was pretty dusty the one time you met us out there. Even with the dusty conditions it's still a blast.

57976348-M.jpg

It was a cool trip. I would have hated to be the quads trying to keep up in the dust while we were just missing rocks at 50;):D

Wvweyone is going out the last week in january. we should do a 3 day weekend and we will sleep on the floor...lol

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
Im gonna find GPS coordinates and go alone then. If u guys end up missing me...you will know where to find me :beer

<---amazed he has never been there.:swear

Seriously, you have never been there? I don't think I have been back since the bartendar told me he wanted to punch me in the face. :confused: It was that picture too, 2 New Year's ago.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
So anybody want to let me borrow a Rhino for a week? :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Seriously, you have never been there? I don't think I have been back since the bartendar told me he wanted to punch me in the face. :confused: It was that picture too, 2 New Year's ago.

Did you insult his nacho making abilities?:D

Ca Sean

Reaction score
It was a cool trip. I would have hated to be the quads trying to keep up in the dust while we were just missing rocks at 50;):D

Wvweyone is going out the last week in january. we should do a 3 day weekend and we will sleep on the floor...lol

I felt bad enough for you trying to dodge the rocks through that wash, back in the before time when your Rhino was just as fast as mine :D

Is that the same weekend as The Superbowl? If not we might be up to a trip.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I felt bad enough for you trying to dodge the rocks through that wash, back in the before time when your Rhino was just as fast as mine :D

Is that the same weekend as The Superbowl? If not we might be up to a trip.

Dick...

We can race your jeep vs. my rhino next time out. When you get stuck I get to point and laugh while drinking your tangere:D

I have no idea when the superbowl is but I think everyone is headed out jan 25-27

Ca Sean

Reaction score
So anybody want to let me borrow a Rhino for a week? :D

Rhinos work pretty good out there. Mine never felt underpowered, like it did in the sand. Except in the washes. Their like a mini-Jeep out there :D