WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tell me about Tennessee

Emac

Reaction score
Nashville or surrounding areas in particular. Wife and I are heading out next week to look at some rental properties to hopefully purchase and I figured someone in this place might have some insight. Anyone have towns or locations they would recommend or to stay clear of?

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Nashville or surrounding areas in particular. Wife and I are heading out next week to look at some rental properties to hopefully purchase and I figured someone in this place might have some insight. Anyone have towns or locations they would recommend or to stay clear of?
Subscribed.

Wifey and I are looking at doing the exact same thing. Maybe even the Chattanooga and surrounding areas.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We are moving to Alabama about two hours south and go up to party and visit some friends in the Nashville area often. We considered moving to Nashville on Old Hickory Lake but the proximity to all of the money in Nashville has really raised prices up a ton. I know thats the case everywhere but the metro nashville area is one of those areas seeing a huge spike. Friend of our sons purchased a condo in Franklin, for $385k two years ago, sold it last week for $810k. The lake front houses we looked at were all fucking mega mansions and 2 million or more.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yeah my older sister lives about 20 miles northwest of Nashville in Ashland City just off the Cumberland River. They bought 39 acres there in 2001 and built their dream home on it leaving the rest of it wooded. Even have their own road leading to their house that's about a 1/4 mile long.
Nashville and the surrounding areas have exploded over the last few years.
Wife and I are going there in April for 6 days staying at the Hilton downtown. Going bar hopping, touring JD Distillery, seeing some of the local sights and of course visiting family. Can't wait!

Tank

Reaction score
LIke One-a-day said, I can tell you it seems everyone and their mothers are moving there!

Hot locations is Franklin which is just south of Nashville. Buddy bought just south of Franklin and LOVES IT! He left Ca prob 8 years ago, went to south Idaho for a few years then to Wisconsin for a couple years and now is at his "forever spot". Guy retired from my work about 2 years ago moved to Douglas lake in east Tenn and LOVES it. Another buddy (Kelly, who has the blue 42 Cig Dave broke his ankle on) lives east of Memphis in Collierville and wouldn't leave his spot. He also has a "cabin" in Missouri on Bay Springs Lake.

Benifits from what I hear about Tenn. are that they don't have state income tax. and property tax is STUPID low and it completely goes away if you're over 65 years of age. Also, price of living is low. Gas is cheap, milk is cheap, etc. They also don't get stupid snow, usually just a blustering.

Another big plus is everything is a reasonable drive away. PIckwick lake is 2.5 hour drive from Nashville. LOTO is 7 hours. Destin Fl. is 7 hours. etc. Figure that's not horrible when considering its a good 6 hours for us to get from Ca to Havasu.

Marmkat

Reaction score
I am in Nashville. Growth here is out of control . The Franklin area is really nice and really expensive. I would look in the Mt Juliet and Lebanon area. They are both East of Nashville and right off of I-40.

cheezpanel

Reaction score
We're moving there in June...My daughter is in Nashville, and have a friend in Cookeville and another who just moved to Knoxville area. I think we've settled on Cookeville, as it's a bit smaller and very central to some great lakes. Plus some great off roading. I dig the people and landscape out there. It'll be weird not boating in a desert like we have our entire lives. I'm flying out next Friday to look at a house we're thinking about.

cheezpanel

Reaction score
I am in Nashville. Growth here is out of control . The Franklin area is really nice and really expensive. I would look in the Mt Juliet and Lebanon area. They are both East of Nashville and right off of I-40.
My daughter lives in Old Hickory/Mt. Juliet area. We like the area.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We're moving there in June...My daughter is in Nashville, and have a friend in Cookeville and another who just moved to Knoxville area. I think we've settled on Cookeville, as it's a bit smaller and very central to some great lakes. Plus some great off roading. I dig the people and landscape out there. It'll be weird not boating in a desert like we have our entire lives. I'm flying out next Friday to look at a house we're thinking about.
I was born and raised just up I-40 in Crossville on the Cumberland Plateau. Spend many of days down in Cookeville as it is a small college town and has some beautiful country.

sirbob

Reaction score
Low taxes...

And it’s Tennessee.

cheezpanel

Reaction score
I was born and raised just up I-40 in Crossville on the Cumberland Plateau. Spend many of days down in Cookeville as it is a small college town and has some beautiful country.
Very cool. We've really searched high and low and I think Cookeville has everything we're looking for.

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Just moved to East TN...45 min west of Knox. See my build thread down in the construction area. So far not one regret. Like others have said....prices are moving upwards with CA, NY and PA folks moving in. I was fortunate to get my property a few years ago.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Property taxes are ridiculously low. The place we bought in Alabama at 1.1 million has $1400 a year in property taxes and those stop when the homeowner hits 65.

Fenderbender

Reaction score
There is an area for everyone it seems like. Franklin/Brentwood has the best school ratings, most going on and good access to a lot of stuff. You are going to pay for it though. Still only 2/3 of the price of Simi Valley, CA or less. We were just there for our 2nd time last week and checked out a TON of places around the Nashville Metro. There are tons of cool areas though, you can still get some beautiful homes and stuff for a decent price. We are getting ready to pull the trigger and will probably land somewhere around Franklin because of the schools, MTB trails, NON Chain restaurants and other friends in the area!

Fenderbender

Reaction score
not to mention tons of Lakes, not Havasu but other great options. Smith lake AL, Lake Cumberland KY, Centerhill TN. Old Hickory Lake TN. all within 2 hrs

DarkJuJu

Reaction score
I lived in Murfreesboro for a bit as a kid (34 years ago) I thought the area was cool, the river walk had all kinds of kool festivals, I recall a steak festival specifically. If you are into caves there are a ton and I think the largest system of caves in North America or something like that. That's probably not that helpful but figured I would share.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a place in Brentwood. Big $$$ for TN. I could see that as my next step if Texas turns blue.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Property taxes are ridiculously low. The place we bought in Alabama at 1.1 million has $1400 a year in property taxes and those stop when the homeowner hits 65.

Sounds like at 65 you get to freeze your tax amount so it won't go up but you still pay the frozen amount every year.​

Background​

In November 2006, Tennessee voters approved an amendment to Article II, Section 28 of the Tennessee Constitution giving the General Assembly the authority by general law to authorize counties and/or municipalities to implement a local option property tax freeze for taxpayers 65 years of age or older.

In its 2007 session, the 105th General Assembly enacted the Property Tax Freeze Act which establishes the tax freeze and authorizes the legislative body of any county and/or municipality to adopt the property tax freeze program. The Act became effective on July 1, 2007.

Provisions​

Homeowners qualifying for the program will have the property taxes on their principal residence frozen at a base tax amount, which is the amount of taxes owed in the year they first qualify for the program. Thereafter, as long as the owner continues to qualify for the program, the amount of property taxes owed for that property generally will not change, even if there is a property tax rate increase or county-wide reappraisal.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Some amazing boating to be had there.

Laguna

Reaction score
Make sure you try every season before move. Lots of friends have gone few have stayed. Summers are brutal and bugs are crazy.

Emac

Reaction score
All great information and I appreciate all of it. We are looking around the out skirts of Nashville (as most have said ”expensive” in Nashville and plan on looking as far down as Huntsville. Planning on being in the area for at least a week or two to do a bunch of looking. Keep the info rolling in. I do know it will be pretty chilly while we are there.

gqchris

Reaction score
My Dad lives in Greeneville TN. Two years ago I visited him we were snowded in for 2 days. It does snow there!

I used to have desire to move there with him even with the shitty weather, but the Great White Flite has me thinking other wise. He told me yesterday on the phone that its becoming a mini california already. Fuck that. Im headed for the hills or desert somewhere.

AEA

Reaction score
My daughter lived in Clarksville (near Fort Campbell} for a few years. Never visited during winter. During spring and summer lots of bugs and very humid.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
All great information and I appreciate all of it. We are looking around the out skirts of Nashville (as most have said ”expensive” in Nashville and plan on looking as far down as Huntsville. Planning on being in the area for at least a week or two to do a bunch of looking. Keep the info rolling in. I do know it will be pretty chilly while we are there.
Wes just bought about 25 minutes south of Huntsville on Smith Lake, lots of people commute to their or Bimigjham. Beautiful Lake about twice the size of Havasu. New build, almost done.
40F1AD36-A9A6-4A11-9096-1D8AB0847A44.jpeg

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
If you go west of Nashville then expect it to be very redneck. Not a bad thing, but some may not like. The off-roading is very different. I was use to going to the desert in the winter. Most of the riding here is forest trails and creeks. It is a blast.

Yes it gets hot in the summer. A/C in the shop or go out on the boat. I wouldn't live here if I wasn't on a lake.

Yes property tax is cheap. My 8 acres on Kentucky lake is under 2k. Utilities are very reasonable. I think all in I am 3-3500 a year in cost for all utilities and property tax.

wzuber

Reaction score
My brother has 9 acres on indian lake in carroll county. (s/w tenn.) He has 3 lots each with dock rights. His lots are just above the dam, unobstructed view of the lake, short walk down to his docks. He says after 65 his annual tax liability will b down to 7%. He's building a house, setting up his own veg. Gardens Etc. And will b applying some agricultural tax incentives to get to the 7%. ymmv

Reactions: DWC

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We went and looked to live out there a few years back. Franklin to the south is cool civil war old downtown crawling with history and good schools. It's also expensive.

North of Franklin is Brentwood where all the country stars live.

North of Brentwood is Nashville.

To the east is mt Juliet where we had our air bnb cool place close to the river close to downtown.

Hendersonville is where we fell in love. Lots of water front property on two peninsulas.

If your not looking for a air bnb type rental pay close attention to the schools. Most of them are bad. The areas with good schools tend to be pricey and private is big money out there.

Reactions: DWC

SoCalDave

Reaction score
This is the house where I spent my teens growing up. Lake front home on two pie shaped lots and my Dad even bought the lot next door (to the left) so no one would build next to him.
Funny story a pretty wealthy older couple from Ohio (who didn't get along with us for some reason 😁 ) bought the lot next to our wooded lot (it has since been partially cleared in the pic) built a custom home and soon after he had a custom wood railing fence built from the street to the lake front separating his property from ours. Now my Dad knows where his property line is and they were on his side by about 2'. My Dad let them complete the project and a week later went knocking on their door asking them to remove the fence they just installed on his property. Apparently the fence company misjudged the property line and put the fence on our side by 2'. They were pissed and my Dad came home laughing about it.

1643298773589.png

1643298856210.png

That initial fence line.
1643298981916.png

nowski

Reaction score
Tennessee is a Volunteer State, outside of that I have nothing...

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Good information!! Is Alabama the only state that doesn’t tax after 65? Property Taxes can be one of the largest expenses for retirees depending on where you live.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Buy for the school district and your property values will be stronger. I have been looking myself in Franklin. My wife's cousins purchased in Mount Joiliet and love it.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Everybody is looking for their own thing.......
It snows sometimes in Tenn. Im out for that reason. I want bikini weather in Feb or Im out.
2nd, asmost retirement states, i.e. Atlanta area 10 yrs ago.
Traffic is becomimg a nightmare.
Billion people moving there and under developed highway system. When major improvements begin...... 10 yrs of road construction.......
Buy close to the lake !

Taboma

Reaction score
Good information!! Is Alabama the only state that doesn’t tax after 65? Property Taxes can be one of the largest expenses for retirees depending on where you live.

Seems in Tenn it's frozen at the amount at the time you reach 65, in Alabama it appears different.
Alabama tax exemption.JPG

wzuber

Reaction score
Nolansville is a very nice suburb between nashville and franklin area, vrowing very fast. A friend of mine retired there abt. 5yrs ago
Seems in Tenn it's frozen at the amount at the time you reach 65, in Alabama it appears different.
View attachment 1083303
Correct, tennessee upon ......your request.....will freeze the prop tax rate, not eliminate it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Nolansville is a very nice suburb between nashville and franklin area, vrowing very fast. A friend of mine retired there abt. 5yrs ago

Correct, tennessee upon ......your request.....will freeze the prop tax rate, not eliminate it.
Alabama it just stops completely.

Taboma

Reaction score

Being retired, and my wife soon to join me, property taxes are certainly an important budgetary consideration. 👍

wzuber

Reaction score
One of the reasons my chose the area he did is because the weather in that sector is much more stable, similar to cali's etc. No snow, rare to have hurricane level winds, no acid rains or lake/ stream contamination etc. Indian lake is a man made, fishing, sailing type lake. It's a pretty interesting looking area when searching on the web. Very inexpensive land and homes there.

Taboma

Reaction score
One of the reasons my chose the area he did is because the weather in that sector is much more stable, similar to cali's etc. No snow, rare to have hurricane level winds, no acid rains or lake/ stream contamination etc. Indian lake is a man made, fishing, sailing type lake. It's a pretty interesting looking area when searching on the web. Very inexpensive land and homes there.
Are you referring to Nolensville or some other town near Indian Lake Tn. ? They appear to be about 100 miles apart as the crow flies ???
I probably missed something in a previous post ?

Dalton

Reaction score
I lived in Clarksville TN for 3 years, peoples interest out there are way different, Its a 180 from the west coast.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
One of the issues in the area of Alabama and Tennessee is tornados. Most of the houses we looked had storm bunkers. Ours has a room off the basement that has 1 foot thick concrete walls and roof and a steel door that locks with a big bar.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Perhaps you could provide a link to that, I couldn't find that to be true.
Found this..

People also ask

Who is exempt from paying property taxes in Alabama?

65 years of age

If you are over 65 years of age, or permanent and totally disabled (regardless of age), or blind (regardless of age), you are exempt from the state portion of property tax. County taxes may still be due. Please contact your local taxing official to claim your homestead exemption.

Taboma

Reaction score
One of the issues in the area of Alabama and Tennessee is tornados. Most of the houses we looked had storm bunkers. Ours has a room off the basement that has 1 foot thick concrete walls and roof and a steel door that locks with a big bar.
When my buddy lived in central Georgia I used to watch many of the fronts travel NE and I noticed that so many if not most seem to travel right smack up through Tenn and miss most of GA.
When I was a youngster, all our relatives homes in Kansas had storm cellars, or stout basements, wasn't sure if they still did that through the mid-west.