WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tequila ?

sirbob

Reaction score
So I've been trying a few Tequilas lately - I haven't had many as I've always been a beer, wine or martini up guy. Just looking for something to sip after dinner instead of opening another beer (too filling).

While it may be trendy, I tried the casa amigos brand and liked the anejo a lot. When I was at costco yesterday I bought a bottle of the casa amigos repisato but they didn't have the anejo. They did have a kirkland anejo in a bottle and label that looks VERY much like the casa amigos bottle. I bought it.

Does anybody have real facts about where they source their kirkland liquor brands from? I assume they are from each of the different distillers?

I should also say I don't think nor am I suggesting that the kirkland liquor is the same stuff even if its made in the brand name factory on the same equipment as the brand name version. But maybe close?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I haven't been in a Costco in nearly a decade, but a friend brought over some Espolon silver. It is amazingly smooth, especially for something that isn't anejo or reposado. I can't recommend it enough.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of rumors about where Kirkland's liquor comes from, but I can't say I've ever read an article confirming the source of each.

As for tequila, you seem to be interested in the the sweeter anejos. Clase Azul Reposado and Cava de Oro Anejo have a similar sweetness like Casamigos Anejo.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Had a buddy that liked Asombroso.... No nothing about tequila but he always raved about it.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Not sure if they are still around but I really enjoyed the 'Peligroso' Brand Tequila.
Another one worth trying '88 tequila'.
FWIW

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Had a buddy that liked Asombroso.... No nothing about tequila but he always raved about it.

I think I know why he likes it...

Asombroso-Tequila-Range-e1418726959148.jpg

Joker

Reaction score
We do a 5:00 of Don Julio silver every night but have found this new gem.
>>>>Clase Azul Reposado. All hand painted bottles with a cap that rings like a bell to signal it go time.

AR33

Reaction score
So I've been trying a few Tequilas lately - I haven't had many as I've always been a beer, wine or martini up guy. Just looking for something to sip after dinner instead of opening another beer (too filling).

While it may be trendy, I tried the casa amigos brand and liked the anejo a lot. When I was at costco yesterday I bought a bottle of the casa amigos repisato but they didn't have the anejo. They did have a kirkland anejo in a bottle and label that looks VERY much like the casa amigos bottle. I bought it.

Does anybody have real facts about where they source their kirkland liquor brands from? I assume they are from each of the different distillers?

I should also say I don't think nor am I suggesting that the kirkland liquor is the same stuff even if its made in the brand name factory on the same equipment as the brand name version. But maybe close?

The Kirkland brand Añejo is VERY good. Wife and I drink it on ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Lol I just bought my Mi foreman a bottle today 1800 Cristalino anejo 75$ a bottle , me and Mr.TQ don’t get along 😉 he kicked my Ass to many times 😎👍
Don’t get me wrong I love margaritas but 1 on 1 I loose 😫😫😫

franky

Reaction score
We do a 5:00 of Don Julio silver every night but have found this new gem.
>>>>Clase Azul Reposado. All hand painted bottles with a cap that rings like a bell to signal it go time.
That is an awesome repo. Try this one if you like that
53EEA570-5ACE-4936-A9D5-707E55DA0298.jpeg

Last edited:

franky

Reaction score
And this one is pretty interseting. Its a boutique teguila from Arte NOM. This is the 1146 which is Aged in Cabernet Franc wine barrels. 60% of the tequila is aged for two years, 40% is aged for three years then blended together and aged another two years in toasted American white oak barrels previously used to age Tennessee rye whiskey.
9194F31F-CBD0-44BB-A641-CABE8764C174.jpeg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Don Julio 1942 is my favorite. It used to be just under 100 a bottle but recently has jumped to 150.

As for Kirkland lore it is murky to say the least. Grey Goose adamantly denies that they produce the Kirkland brand Vodka but the comment was kinda ambiguous as they reference the water as being exclusive to Grey Goose. So they may bottle the Kirkland Vodka in their distillery but they reserve the spring water for Grey Goose alone? Of course Costco wont comment as I am sure they love the rumor confirmed or not.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Don Julio 1942 is my favorite. It used to be just under 100 a bottle but recently has jumped to 150.

As for Kirkland lore it is murky to say the least. Grey Goose adamantly denies that they produce the Kirkland brand Vodka but the comment was kinda ambiguous as they reference the water as being exclusive to Grey Goose. So they may bottle the Kirkland Vodka in their distillery but they reserve the spring water for Grey Goose alone? Of course Costco wont comment as I am sure they love the rumor confirmed or not.

1942 also my favorite, by far...
Costco is at 129.99. Did see it for $150 in Tahoe last week 🙁🙁

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score

1942 also my favorite, by far...
Costco is at 129.99. Did see it for $150 in Tahoe last week 🙁🙁

Always buy 1942 if you vacation in Mexico. When we got married in Cabo in 2017, we bought it for the reception. We had a bottle on every table. People thought we went all out... except it came about to about $75-80 a bottle down there 👍

People were stealing bottles from other tables when they went to get food because the other table was babysitting their bottle 😂

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score

DJ70 ? My foreman said he drinks this but I could not find it at 5 nice Lq stores here in Mi .

Icky

Reaction score
Kirkland uses co-packers to make their products. Their vodka, margarita, etc is made at a place that already has their own brand / products and make theirs as well.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

Nothing good has ever happened after drinking tequila.

Scotch is much more mellow. Johnny Walker Black for blended, or a single malt like Glenfiddich

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
DJ70 ? My foreman said he drinks this but I could not find it at 5 nice Lq stores here in Mi .
He has a place down in Mexico unbelievable place he built if I didn’t know better a king lived in this place and he collects TQ , wines , whiskeys he was showing me his parties 👍👍👍😉 crazy here in USA 1 mil $ + he has camaras all over the place , way kool

sirbob

Reaction score
I think the Costco anejo tastes like it has more vanilla in it than Casamigos. Pretty close though. We call it Costcomigos.

I have a bottle of the Costco and the casa amigo - I plan on a blind taste test to see what I like!

Not sure if they are still around but I really enjoyed the 'Peligroso' Brand Tequila.
Another one worth trying '88 tequila'.
FWIW

Peligroso had a place in San Clemente and I used see their vans running around town all the time but they are no longer in that building any more?

And this one is pretty interseting. Its a boutique teguila from Arte NOM. This is the 1146 which is Aged in Cabernet Franc wine barrels. 60% of the tequila is aged for two years, 40% is aged for three years then blended together and aged another two years in toasted American white oak barrels previously used to age Tennessee rye whiskey. View attachment 952498

That sounds incredible!

franky

Reaction score
I have a bottle of the Costco and the casa amigo - I plan on a blind taste test to see what I like!

Peligroso had a place in San Clemente and I used see their vans running around town all the time but they are no longer in that building any more?

That sounds incredible!
It is pretty interesting. Let it sit in the glass (small snifter of coarse) and air for a while.

I learned right off to always order a good tequila in a snifter. You can get a better nose feel plus a shot glass limits the pour!!

franky

Reaction score
Nothing good has ever happened after drinking tequila.

Scotch is much more mellow. Johnny Walker Black for blended, or a single malt like Glenfiddich
To each his own I guess. I love tequila and drink it often and plenty. And I am experiencing nothing but good!! Rarely have a hang over drinking GOOD tequila.

franky

Reaction score
Busted.... yeah I am not at the stage where I can sip on tequila. Props to those that can . Maybe one day 😁
Hey man whatever works! Thats a hell of a shot to shoot. Beats the hell out of the P!

franky

Reaction score
I think I know why he likes it...

View attachment 952474
Chicks dig it! If I see it in a bar with a girl bartender I will ask to see the bottle just to watch how she grabs it. OK that was perv.
The pink one is the the La Rosa. It is aged in French Bordeaux barrels, hence the hue.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I started going down the Tequila rabbit hole a few years ago and it's been a good ride. I generally prefer blancos to get the agave flavor, but a lot of people prefer the reposados, anejos and extra anejos.

I used to think Patrom was top tier stuff, but have learned that a lot of Patron's popularity is due to marketing hype rather than quality product. Casamigos is gpod but there are other more traditionally made tequilas at the same price point that I like better.

Try something from Fortaleza, El Tesoro, or Pasote and see what you think.

2Driver

Reaction score
Do your tequilla a favor and try Tres Agave as the Margi mixer

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

That stuff is not so great these days. Much better stuff out there for the price. 15 years ago it was the best stuff you could buy or drink at any price. I was good friends with the GM of the brand... I was like 22 and remember I got a gallon of the very first batch in like a bleach bottle.. LOL.

@sirbob check out Codigo 1530 or barrel strength. Really good stuff.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
I’m not a big te-kill ya guy, but I have been slurping some Hornito’s reposado in a shaker margarita ! It’s nice to mix it up and beer is so filling....

sirbob

Reaction score
It is pretty interesting. Let it sit in the glass (small snifter of coarse) and air for a while.

I learned right off to always order a good tequila in a snifter. You can get a better nose feel plus a shot glass limits the pour!!

This is the glass I’ve been using - not a full size snifter but it seems to be working. ;-)

A099DC71-279E-4109-9097-F65E7DD7B8E7.jpeg

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Casa Dragones Joven, 1942, and Clase Azul Reposado. Clase Azul, chill, flip the lid upside down, it's just about a shot. Something about tequila, gets the crazy going.

Casa Dragones Joven is my favorite on ice for sipping. Super smooth great taste

Bear Down

Reaction score
Since you're just beginning, you should start at the same level every tequila drinker has....only we were all in highschool...

View attachment 952589

🤣 🥴🤢🤮😴
Or TJ/Rosarito/Ensenada days in the early 90s....

UGGHHH... those mornings after a bender were rough...especially waiting at the border... Sure built up my drinking character..