WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Teryx vs Rhino vs RZR / RZR S

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So we started this section with a thread that had the pro's and cons of each..

The Teryx had just come out, and if memory serves a lot of people were waiting for what Honda was going to introduce.

So now that they've been out on the market for awhile.. For cruising around, comfort, ofroading etc..

How does the Teryx stack up against the RZR S? Do you have to long travel the Teryx to even get it to compete?

RD

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
If I were gonna go out and buy a new side by side today I'd be looking at either the Terex or the Arctic Cat 1000. IMO the RZR is just wayyyyy too small. My wife and I sat in one together and our shoulders were touching each others.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Teryx is corked-up, you can make them pretty fast with simple mods.
But the little things, like needing tools to open the hood or get to the battery, make is a PITA...not sure if the 2010 models have addressed this, though.

Rhinos are slugs, can mod them to make decent power, but less potential than the V-Twin competition. But there's a ton of aftermarket support for it.

RZR is small for sure, but they handle like sports cars with long travel suspension. You can be a super-drift-king in sand washes with them, it's a blast.

I really like the Rangers, but there's little aftermarket support for them and they're pretty big...not sure if it would even fit in my toy hauler.

pronstar

Reaction score
How much you have to spend, how fast do you want to go :D

Snowmobile motor or R1 should do the trick :thumbsup

The stereo in your Rhino does about 250 mph all on it's own :thumbsup

But I think the sub, mounted right behind your head, gives me intestinal distress (I might have mildly shat myself once or twice) :thumbsdown

:D:D:D

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
I've driven all but the Artic Cat 1000.....Stock, long travel, miny pimp and SUPER pimp and I owned a Rhino with LT for a few years so here's my take......

1. Rhino best all around vehicle with the great aftermarket support. Very relaible and can be made to run just about anywhere....only downside is the motor. The Vtwin of both the Polaris' and Kawi are a lot better suited to heavy SxS's and mod's but the Rhino still does great.

2. Razor S - Straight out of the box the hands down fastest (over terrain not drag racing) best handling rig. I drove one out in Glamis and had no problem keeping up with LT rails(driven moderately like you would with your family in the car) in the dunes. I was very impressed and went anywhere I wanted and places the LT Rhinos and Teryx's couldn't. I am not 100% convinced that Polaris has the quality and reliability of the Yamaha or Kawi as friends I know with Rangers have had lots of annoying problems.

3. Teryx....I put it 3rd but it is really the one I would buy if I ever get another SxS...at least with what's offered now...(I am waiting for Yamaha to release their v-twin :) ). It is wider than the Yamaha and has an amazing motor that can put out some great power with only minor mods (Rev box, exhaust, intake, etc...) I am not a fan of the non opening hood and I hate the look of 2010 model with a hood that does open....but here's the thing....

I have a disease that involves me modifying everything I own. I would get the Teryx do the airbox, rev box, and exhaust, then add Funco's Long Travel Kit (or Brians kit from LTIndustries) and 2 seater cage w/bed delete and swap on the plastics from Full Bore. It would be a light weight two seater with tons of power and the ability to go anywhere. It would have tons more potential from the motor and have great reliability.

4) Ranger - My bro in law has one as do a bunch of other friends and they all have problems and go through belts pretty fast. The Rangers are big and heavy but do fine for trail riding and desert runs. I just don't like how big they are (always get stuck taking someone else's kid because you have an extra seat) and I question the reliabilty.

25) I put the Artic Cat way down on the list simply because Artic Cats are GAY :D

So that's my opinion....if I was less mechanically inclined or just wanted something ready to go out of the box I would get the Razor S with the extended warranty. Fast, Fun, Great suspension and you don't have to take along extra passengers :)

So with all that being said I sold my Rhino and built an Jeep Cherokee. It's heavier and slower through the big bumps but it's street legal, can be flat towed behind the motorhome, has a heater, probably can rock crawl better than a SxS simply because of teh larger tires and all and all I have about $10K into the Jeep as it sits which is WAY less than I had into my Rhino. But because we spend a lot of time in Glamis and other dunes I forsee some type of lighter faster SxS or rail in my future and I can probably get a two seater Teryx and the Jeep in an enclosed trailer with out having to go to a stacker.

19745_1225282950679_1187166314_30575726_3822815_n.jpg

Chris

Last edited:

TOBTEK

Reaction score
All valid points stated above....

Its pretty simple Dave, you just have to ask yourself ...HOW DO YOU INTEND TO USE THIS NEW SXS?

If you and your passenger want to hit the dunes, or the dez by Parker. With a untouched out of the box SXS...and want the fastest/best handling SXS...well the Razor S is for you. BUT, it will never be made a 4seater, and yes they are VERY small compared to a Rhino or Teryx. Dont know if thats important to you? Also PLAN on getting a new cage for the Razor! They are very DANGEROUS from the factory!!!! Sand only, they are marginal....for the open hard packed Dez....GET A REAL CAGE MADE for you and your passengers safety!

For a NEW from the dealer showroom BARGAIN right now...Think it would be tough to beat a new 2009 Teryx! I can get a BRAND NEW 09, full warranty, factory financing assistance....LOADED on your trailer ..out the door for 9900.00.....THATS CRAZY CHEAP. I was offered a outside sales gig at Vey's for my INTERNET family.
IMO..... the Teryx is the perfect size! goes fast enough...they are restricted to 52 by the computer. And thats fast enough in a SXS! Can be made a 4-seater with style and still perform well. ADD long travel, and its a whole different machine!
YES....they SIX to work on! but they all do really....the kawi is just a bit worse then a Yamaha. I notched my front hood, and now can be removed without removing or tilting back the roll cage.

With all that said..... IF and when my pimp daddy Teryx sells. I'm buying a nice clean inexpensive YAMAHA RHINO! Its all about cheap fun these days. Hard to beat a Rhino for ALL AROUND everything. unlimited accessories ...NEW AND USED! good mid sized unit that will still fit in a truck bed with stock arms.

I drove with two Rhino's last year out at Glamis... yes my Teryx will WALK AWAY from those rhino's....BUT we all still had a great time riding together, and nobody ran away from each other.

From an outsiders view point Dave.... I would think you would be using this to cruise around the parker keys, go all the way to circle K for smokes. and hit the trails from time to time. Just give the Razor much thought.... they are very small ! Go over to NCY and check them out.

A new Long travel Teryx is REALLLLLLY hard to say No too. my car is pretty insane.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RZR is small for sure, but they handle like sports cars with long travel suspension. You can be a super-drift-king in sand washes with them, it's a blast.

Too short of wheel base to be playing "drift king." LOL... They want to loop pretty easy and subsequently tumble.

From an outsiders view point Dave.... I would think you would be using this to cruise around the parker keys, go all the way to circle K for smokes. and hit the trails from time to time. Just give the Razor much thought.... they are very small ! Go over to NCY and check them out.

That about sums it up.

RD

pronstar

Reaction score
Too short of wheel base to be playing "drift king." LOL... They want to loop pretty easy and subsequently tumble.

The stock ones for sure. The RZR S does a bit better. I've spent a lot of time with one that had a +6" (per side) long travel kit, it was extremely stable...that made everyone a Super Dorifto King

dorifto.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The stock ones for sure. The RZR S does a bit better. I've spent a lot of time with one that had a +6" (per side) long travel kit, it was extremely stable...that made everyone a Super Dorifto King

dorifto.jpg

I was in a stock RZR-S trying to play drift king out in Parker... They'll slide to some point, but putting them sideways they don't like that much. LOL

RD

TOBTEK

Reaction score

That about sums it up.

RD

Would be VERY hard to beat that deal I have for you....... it will do EVERYthing you need and want in a SXS.

pronstar

Reaction score
I was in a stock RZR-S trying to play drift king out in Parker... They'll slide to some point, but putting them sideways they don't like that much. LOL

RD

Then you don't get a T-shirt :thumbsdown
image_01_600.jpg

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I spent the better part of a year trying to decide what to buy for our place in Havasu. There isn’t really one vehicle that does everything. I was on a budget of 10-12k.

We ended up with a CJ7 because it will do 90% of what we need it to do. It was way under budget ( so I can keep my quad and still have $ to modify a few things).

New I would buy the Teryx.
Used buy a Rhino

Mondorally

Reaction score

RD

I don't think it was drift king you were playing. More like your own version of the movie DUEL. :D

Duel_poster.jpg

Dueltruckfront.jpg

TOBTEK

Reaction score
on that note...... a day at the track would be fun! Pala is heard to have a killer sxs track! I can be there in about 45 mins. today...lets go :)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
on that note...... a day at the track would be fun! Pala is heard to have a killer sxs track! I can be there in about 45 mins. today...lets go :)

TOBTEK... Where do you have your Kawi listed?

Reaction score
Almost bought a RZRs a few months back but after looking at them up close I decided to stay with my Teryx and just add long travel. I had a chance to actually drive an RZRs off road a couple of weeks back and all I can say is I’m glad I stayed with the Teryx.

The stock RZRs is a little faster than a stock Teryx but with my 840 kit the only RZR’s I’ll be seeing will be in my rear view mirror or dust cloud…….:D:D

I will say the RZRs is a very cute machine.:)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Hey Mock, normally I'd agree with you on the Arctic Cat but the new one with the 1000 motor in it flat out hauls ass. Wouldn't take much to put a new cage on it and make the thing look pretty good. I think they do close to 70mph stock. :eek::eek:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Would be VERY hard to beat that deal I have for you....... it will do EVERYthing you need and want in a SXS.

Ended up going with the Teryx Monster edition. :) Haven't seen it yet, but it should look exactly like this. :)

RD

Attachments

• Teryx750FI-MONSTER.jpg
    Teryx750FI-MONSTER.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 471

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Ended up going with the Teryx Monster edition. :) Haven't seen it yet, but it should look exactly like this. :)

RD

Nice choice! That woulda been my choice too Dave. Ive seen quite a few at Bert's since Im there damn near every week in the winter time and they are VERY nice looking machines with the black and green. 2010 or 09? The '09's headlights kinda look like they have HID's in them. Not sure and havent bothered to look them up.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nice choice! That woulda been my choice too Dave. Ive seen quite a few at Bert's since Im there damn near every week in the winter time and they are VERY nice looking machines with the black and green. 2010 or 09? The '09's headlights kinda look like they have HID's in them. Not sure and havent bothered to look them up.

2009, zero hours.

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

RD

congrats.....

You guys will have alot of fun in that. next comes the toy hauler and then a bigger truck that will actually toe it. Life is full of slippery slopes...lol:D:skull

Call Davin at DG rhinos and see if he wants to sponsor your section and build you a 4 seat cage;)

http://www.dgrhinos.com/index.html

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
congrats.....

You guys will have alot of fun in that. next comes the toy hauler and then a bigger truck that will actually toe it. Life is full of slippery slopes...lol:D:skull

Call Davin at DG rhinos and see if he wants to sponsor your section and build you a 4 seat cage;)

http://www.dgrhinos.com/index.html

I have a car hauler already, and my truck would surprise you on what it'll pull. ;) I don't think I'd even notice a car hauler / Teryx behind me.

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have a car hauler already, and my truck would surprise you on what it'll pull. ;) I don't think I'd even notice a car hauler / Teryx behind me.

RD

I was talking about a 23' toyhauler fully loaded to make the wife and kid happy;):D

I think that Navi on dub dueces will struggle with 9K pounds hooked to the bumper:skull

car hauler/teryx no problem:champagne::p

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was talking about a 23' toyhauler fully loaded to make the wife and kid happy;):D

I think that Navi on dub dueces will struggle with 9K pounds hooked to the bumper:skull

car hauler/teryx no problem:champagne::p

9K? What do you think I got a explorer or something? 9K = no problemo in the Navi.. :D :D (well maybe not so much)

The Double Deuces are soon to be pub tables by the way.. :( Their not on the truck anymore. Now we run super stockers. :D

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
9K? What do you think I got a explorer or something? 9K = no problemo in the Navi.. :D :D (well maybe not so much)

The Double Deuces are soon to be pub tables by the way.. :( Their not on the truck anymore. Now we run super stockers. :D

RD

lol...yeah hook my trailer to your bumper and lets see what happens/ the weight and wind facotr is quite a bit different compared to a boat...haha:party2::champagne:

what do you mean I was 5K over my legal towing capacity officer:D:skull

Sucks about the wheels....... Have you looked on CL for some used dubs?

whats the plans for the Kawi?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Congrats Dave...you're gonna love it.

You might think twice about this. His cages are ok but not great. I say this after seeing some of the other stuff thats out there. Stitch welding on a few vs buggers and lumps on his. For the price its not bad, but I don't think I'd go back on the next one. He also uses smaller tube for filler & cross bracing. Didn't realize this at first. Thats not cool.

huh....

my welding is pretty good. not anywhere near tig but clean.

I regested and got 1 3/4 tubing everywhere except V bars and gusset areas.

I do agree there is nicer stuff out there I really like Roberts FU2 chassis cage. he got a killer SSS deal and it was still about $200 more than what I paid. For the cost I think Davin is hard to beat.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Here ya go Dave.

My buddies Teyrx. Bitchin car for sure. I want one :D

25K:party2::D:thumbsup

That is a very cool kawi. Scott at Desert works does nice work. A little scary on the time frame and call backs but top notch quality.(The only thing I would change is the polished doors...not my thing)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Its an awesome car.

But my little Rhina did kick his ass through red rock canyon :D

Something tells me driver had something to do with that....:skull

Red rock is fun. great place to ruin a tire or bottom out the rhino...lol

How much better were the walkers?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
lol...yeah hook my trailer to your bumper and lets see what happens/ the weight and wind facotr is quite a bit different compared to a boat...haha:party2::champagne:

what do you mean I was 5K over my legal towing capacity officer:D:skull

Sucks about the wheels....... Have you looked on CL for some used dubs?

whats the plans for the Kawi?

Dunno yet, gotta get it home and see what I like and don't like. If I had to guess, small stereo here, Long travel there, interior this, nitrous that, a wee bit of exhaust here, a pinch of intake there..

You know the usual bullshit.. Nothin fancy. Just a keys cruiser.

I can say without a doubt, no fancy paint job.. (I actually use my offroad shit), no chrome.. etc..

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Dunno yet, gotta get it home and see what I like and don't like. If I had to guess, small stereo here, Long travel there, interior this, nitrous that, a wee bit of exhaust here, a pinch of intake there..

You know the usual bullshit.. Nothin fancy. Just a keys cruiser.

RD

lol....that will help you get to the circle K:D:skull

4seat or 2 seat?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Dunno yet.. I'd keep it 2, but the wife might want 4? I dunno. Depends on time and $$$, like everything.

RD

light 2 seaters are alot more exciting to drive...lol

Take it from someone that now has a real slow camp cruiser with a good stereo:rolleyes::cool:

pronstar

Reaction score
4 seaters add a lot of versatility...and weight.

The one thing that suck about them is that everyone will want you to take their kids in the back on off-road adventures. Sometimes it's OK, but if we're hauling balls then I don't want the liability.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
CONGRAT'S DAVE......

I have a buddy that needs a set of tires for his Rhino. When they come off let me know.

if you dont make it the Glamis Ditch Day, no more took ups! :p

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Pics??????

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looks just like this one.. They are taking all the stickers off of it right now, and putting the Muzzy exhaust on it. :)

I'll take some pictures of the actual unit on Sat / Sunday when I pick it up. :)

RD

Attachments

• Teryx750FI-MONSTER.jpg
    Teryx750FI-MONSTER.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 317

sean

Reaction score
RIGHT ON DAVE! im going all out 2seat on mine. if you do go 4seat make sure you get the correct springs. make or breaks the way they drive. i have dealt with steve over at dasa (in cali) and he's been very good to work with and had alot of knowledge to share.
if it's too slow for ya they have the 1000cc kit out for the kawi and 100mph isnt unheard of:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
did you go msd for the tuner?

Right now it's just got the Muzzy exhaust..

The only thing I have in front of me is some aftermarket parts catalog put out by Kawi..

They have a Dynatek Adjustable Ignition for 350.00

FS Ignition for 209

And a jetting kid for 85.00 bucks..

I read (briefly) online that the Teryx's are somewhat choked.. So an exhaust / intake upgrade and the ignition make a pretty big difference.

Is the MSD deal the way to go? Where do you buy one? How much?

RD

sean

Reaction score
if your a 2009 you have injection. if you put muzzy's on you have to put a programmer on. alot of shops swear by the msd for ease of programming etc. if you dont change the box you will hurt the engine. most shops will have a general idea on what program you will need for your rex's upgrades. such as exh,af needs x program at y elevation of use.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
if your a 2009 you have injection. if you put muzzy's on you have to put a programmer on. alot of shops swear by the msd for ease of programming etc. if you dont change the box you will hurt the engine. most shops will have a general idea on what program you will need for your rex's upgrades. such as exh,af needs x program at y elevation of use.

Are you fuckin kiddin me?

PM me your #.

RD