WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tesla Charging

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Anyone in Havasu know if there is a Supercharger in town? Wife is getting her Tesla Y on Saturday and may use it now and then to run to the river and want to make sure we can charge up to get home. I see there's one in Needles and maybe one at the Heat but want confirmation.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

This should help you out. Choose the model Y you are getting and the addresses.

Also, it doesn't look like there is a supercharger nearby, but there are charging stations.
1635293434731.png

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Buy one of these and install it in your garage. Best money ever spent for the Tesla

DWC

Reaction score
The Heat is the only place i know in Havasu. Pretty sure it’s for guests though. The one in Needles😬.

DWC

Reaction score
My plan is to hit Barstow, I’m more worried about the way home.
We put it on the 110V charger it comes with, as soon as we get into town. (Roughly 4miles per hour charging). It’ll get you back to Needles for a quick stop and then to Barstow. The Barstow stop isn’t too bad. I may pop into Oggis or Chili’s now and again for a cold one.

I keep going back n forth on putting a real charger in Havasu. Mostly because I’d rather just take the truck and not deal with it.
Im kind of surprised there aren’t any 3rd party charging stations in Havasu yet. There’s gotta be enough demand by now.

Let me know what you think of the crowd at Tesla charging stations…

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Just maped out the trip the wife I made to SF. It would have taken a half dozen charges at 20+minutes each. Total travel time of 12 hours. But I am sure it would have been great to drive without paying attention to my driving and cloggging up the freeway at the speed limit without a care in the world like all the other Tezla drivers. LOL

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Just maped out the trip the wife I made to SF. It would have taken a half dozen charges at 20+minutes each. Total travel time of 12 hours. But I am sure it would have been great to drive without paying attention to my driving and cloggging up the freeway at the speed limit without a care in the world like all the other Tezla drivers. LOL

I drove my CNG Civic from Temecula to Foster City and fully mapped out the drive. Had to stop twice to fill the tank and the added time was a little less than 45 minutes with the on and off. Cost me less than $30 to make that drive, but yeah.......that electric shit is totally the solution.....😂😂

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We put it on the 110V charger it comes with, as soon as we get into town. (Roughly 4miles per hour charging). It’ll get you back to Needles for a quick stop and then to Barstow. The Barstow stop isn’t too bad. I may pop into Oggis or Chili’s now and again for a cold one.

I keep going back n forth on putting a real charger in Havasu. Mostly because I’d rather just take the truck and not deal with it.
Im kind of surprised there aren’t any 3rd party charging stations in Havasu yet. There’s gotta be enough demand by now.

Let me know what you think of the crowd at Tesla charging stations…
Might wanna upgrade to a 220V Charger? If coming to SoCal I believe there is Super Charger in Lenwood and one in Twentynine Palms.

That’s why I opted for a Hybrid. Sitting at a Super Charger for at least 30 minutes to make an already long drive back home to Orange County even longer isn’t as fun as it sounds, lol 😂

DWC

Reaction score
Might wanna upgrade to a 220V Charger? If coming to SoCal I believe there is Super Charger in Lenwood and one in Twentynine Palms.

That’s why I opted for a Hybrid. Sitting at a Super Charger for at least 30 minutes to make an already long drive back home to Orange County even longer isn’t as fun as it sounds, lol 😂
We will for sure at some point. Figured I’d wait til we make the move permanently to Havasu or copper comes back to reality, whichever happens first. 😬. It’ll always be the secondary vehicle for river runs.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have the wall mount charger in Havasu. If you need to borrow some volts for the ride home you can plug in here, no problem. Message me if that works for you and we can work out the details.

My wife stops in Barstow for 12 minutes and gets an extra 150 miles for the trips two and from CA.

The charger at the heat is guests only and it’s not a supercharger.

Javajoe

Reaction score
When we took the 3 to Havasu we stayed at The London Bridge Resort and paid like 36.00 to charge it overnight at The Heat. Not a Super Charger but better than the 110 extension cord at our hotel. Other than that, there is Nada. Bad deal for sure

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
I’m told that we will probably have a few in Havasu next year… I hope so, I hope to have my new Hummer by spring 2022.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Surprised there isn't much in Havasu for EV's. (travelers) It would be a great business opportunity for someone in Havasu to have a Supercharger station installed at their business. The guy in Mojave has a handful of Superchargers in front of his Mexican restaurant, he's always really busy selling food because of the chargers out front. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. "Riverdave's Cafe" charging and swag..

NicPaus

Reaction score
Stopped at a charge station on way back from San Diego. $1 a minute and there was a line of cars waiting. Added about a hour to the drive. I would of paid $2 a minute to skip the line.

Xring01

Reaction score
Buy one of these and install it in your garage. Best money ever spent for the Tesla

I sold my Tesla, but I still have the wall charger. Someone make me an offer I cant refuse...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Distance is the EV's Achilles Heel, no doubt about it.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
My plan is to hit Barstow, I’m more worried about the way home.
We have a Model Y long range. We drive it to the river from Irvine all the time but our river house is near Needles so not as far as Havasu which makes it easier. I fully charge at home the night before we leave with the mobile charger that comes with the car. I only use the mobile charger and take it with me on road trips, I do not have the Tesla Wall Charger at either house. The Wall Charger will give you max 40mph charging, i'm at 31 so ehh. I have a 50amp NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage at both houses and charge at 31mph. I supercharge in Barstow for about 15 mins to reach the house. My rule of thumb on any road trip is wherever I'm going is to give myself 100 miles of headroom. If I have 80 miles to go to my destination I charge to 180 miles. Supercharging is awesomely quick, Tesla nailed this from the get go. Other EV's are just getting fast charging going now. With Tesla supercharging you can go almost everywhere effortlessly.

Leaving to go back to Irvine I do the reverse of above.

For you going to/from Havasu you will need to make one quick additional stop in Needles to put a little extra charge in the car to make it to Barstow. I imagine 5-10mins.

You will love the car, more than you realize right now before you get it. With gas prices at $4.50 a gallon and if you drive quite a bit, well, you'll realize quickly you are winning.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The thought of being dependent on only 1-2 fueling options (let alone that could support more than a couple hundred cars at once) on a 300 mile desert trip is pretty gnarly.
They are bitchen cars, but until there is widespread EV charge stations like gas stations I would never go 100% EV.

The amount of cars rolling off the line is so far above / beyond the state's capacity to provide charging it is insane - If I have to flex my power and wash clothes after 9pm, your not ready for widespread EV's 👀

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
There is 2 chargers at the gas station in needles off the 40. But they are always In use.

There's a new charging station by the McDonald's but not sure if it's a tesla supercharger or not.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A few years ago we brought my friends Tesla to the Nissan dealer to charge.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
The thought of being dependent on only 1-2 fueling options (let alone that could support more than a couple hundred cars at once) on a 300 mile desert trip is pretty gnarly.
They are bitchen cars, but until there is widespread EV charge stations like gas stations I would never go 100% EV.

The amount of cars rolling off the line is so far above / beyond the state's capacity to provide charging it is insane - If I have to flex my power and wash clothes after 9pm, your not ready for widespread EV's 👀
Ive never waited at a Supercharging station, ever.

Most people are charging at home and drive local. Supercharging is for roadtrips.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
My girlfriend is driving our Y to Vegas to visit her mom as I type this (at 80mph it appears). Will charge in Baker for 20mins then off she goes. Next stop her moms house where they have a NEMA 14-50 plug and will charge at 31mph back into the car fofree....

Tesla.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Surprised there isn't much in Havasu for EV's. (travelers) It would be a great business opportunity for someone in Havasu to have a Supercharger station installed at their business. The guy in Mojave has a handful of Superchargers in front of his Mexican restaurant, he's always really busy selling food because of the chargers out front. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. "Riverdave's Cafe" charging and swag..
the superchargers are free as well, we know a family that owns a vineyard in Temecula, no cost to them to have them installed and the electricity to run them, win win, more people come to their winery.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We have a Model Y long range. We drive it to the river from Irvine all the time but our river house is near Needles so not as far as Havasu which makes it easier. I fully charge at home the night before we leave with the mobile charger that comes with the car. I only use the mobile charger and take it with me on road trips, I do not have the Tesla Wall Charger at either house. The Wall Charger will give you max 40mph charging, i'm at 31 so ehh. I have a 50amp NEMA 14-50 socket in my garage at both houses and charge at 31mph. I supercharge in Barstow for about 15 mins to reach the house. My rule of thumb on any road trip is wherever I'm going is to give myself 100 miles of headroom. If I have 80 miles to go to my destination I charge to 180 miles. Supercharging is awesomely quick, Tesla nailed this from the get go. Other EV's are just getting fast charging going now. With Tesla supercharging you can go almost everywhere effortlessly.

Leaving to go back to Irvine I do the reverse of above.

For you going to/from Havasu you will need to make one quick additional stop in Needles to put a little extra charge in the car to make it to Barstow. I imagine 5-10mins.

You will love the car, more than you realize right now before you get it. With gas prices at $4.50 a gallon and if you drive quite a bit, well, you'll realize quickly you are winning.
Same thing my wife does. We have the long range, supposed to be good for 350 ish, less than Havasu trip but the little asterisk is "at speeds 65 mph or less". In the 80's which my wife has been know to frequent the range drops considerably and she cant make it the entire way.

Xring01

Reaction score
Your funny, I said and offer I cant refuse… I paid alot more than that for it…
One time, no BS deal… $325, cash, and you pick it up in Murrieta Ca.

But you have to give me a few days notices, so I can un install it. Its literally still wired to my breaker box now.

Xring01

Reaction score
If your selling your charger I assume you won't be buying another tesla. Curious what you didn"t like about it.
I shared that on another thread.
Bottom Line:
The Utility Grids are getting less reliable on a daily basis. I work in that industry, so I truly know what I am talking about.
So understanding that the grid may not be available to charge your car…

Then how do you get home, when you cant charge????

Before anyone starts naysaying…
I have a few questions for you.
What is the average age of the grid powering the U.S. today?
What is the average life expectancy of the assets powering the grid today?
What are the impacts of the renewables to the Grid?
How do you integrate advanced technology that is not cost effective to combat the shutdown of the traditional power plants that are being shut down. Read the article that was released today about the “Ca power needs thru 2024”… for a few hints on this subject.
How many traditional power plants can be offline for maintenance or emergency purposes at the same time?

You guys know me. I already know the answers to all of the above, and can outline every single one of them in 4 hour presentation each.

If you absolutely need to get from point A to point B, then an electric vehicle is not the first choice.
If you are flexible about that, then sure it may be the right choice for you.

Fact Check. You cant charge a car, when you dont have power to charge it!

Last edited:

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I drove my CNG Civic from Temecula to Foster City and fully mapped out the drive. Had to stop twice to fill the tank and the added time was a little less than 45 minutes with the on and off. Cost me less than $30 to make that drive, but yeah.......that electric shit is totally the solution.....😂😂
Is your Civic a dual fuel or CNG only?
My daughter had a CNG/ gasoline car in Switzerland for a year .... and it IS the solution.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Yo

Yep! You think it’s hard to charge now wait until there is 50% EV’s trying to plug in. Today only 2% of vehicles are EV. 😱. The infrastructure is not there and I don’t see it happening for decades. It takes 20 years just to get a permit for a Nuclear Plant and you sure as F are not powering all these EV’s at night with Solar/Wind/Battery Power, lol. I’m sticking with good ol dino fueled vehicles that I can refuel in under 2 minutes and drive another 600 miles 😀

DWC

Reaction score
Yo

Yep! You think it’s hard to charge now wait until there is 50% EV’s trying to plug in. Today only 2% of vehicles are EV. 😱. The infrastructure is not there and I don’t see it happening for decades. It takes 20 years just to get a permit for a Nuclear Plant and you sure as F are not powering all these EV’s at night with Solar/Wind/Battery Power, lol. I’m sticking with good ol dino fueled vehicles that I can refuel in under 2 minutes and drive another 600 miles 😀
It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out. We’re in Baker. 40 spots available with only 2 of us now. Last time here it was packed and it wasn’t Friday/Sunday.

970D55F9-F01C-4E8F-BC44-C9DE9649441D.jpeg
970D55F9-F01C-4E8F-BC44-C9DE9649441D.jpeg

bk2drvr

Reaction score
the superchargers are free as well, we know a family that owns a vineyard in Temecula, no cost to them to have them installed and the electricity to run them, win win, more people come to their winery.
I shared that on another thread.
Bottom Line:
The Utility Grids are getting less reliable on a daily basis. I work in that industry, so I truly know what I am talking about.
So understanding that the grid may not be available to charge your car…

Then how do you get home, when you cant charge????

Before anyone starts naysaying…
I have a few questions for you.
What is the average age of the grid powering the U.S. today?
What is the average life expectancy of the assets powering the grid today?
What are the impacts of the renewables to the Grid?
How do you integrate advanced technology that is not cost effective to combat the shutdown of the traditional power plants that are being shut down. Read the article that was released today about the “Ca power needs thru 2024”… for a few hints on this subject.
How many traditional power plants can be offline for maintenance or emergency purposes at the same time?

You guys know me. I already know the answers to all of the above, and can outline every single one of them in 4 hour presentation each.

If you absolutely need to get from point A to point B, then an electric vehicle is not the first choice.
If you are flexible about that, then sure it may be the right choice for you.

Fact Check. You cant charge a car, when you dont have power to charge it!
Let me make sure I’m understating what you’re saying, so you’re saying that it is inevitable and likely in the not too distant future that the grid will go down due to aging infrastructure and we won’t have any power in Ca and possibly other parts of the country?

We have bigger problems ahead than charging EVs then.

Xring01

Reaction score
Let me make sure I’m understating what you’re saying, so you’re saying that it is inevitable and likely in the not too distant future that the grid will go down due to aging infrastructure and we won’t have any power in Ca and possibly other parts of the country?

We have bigger problems ahead than charging EVs then.
100%.

The Governor of Ca has set renewable goals that the Utilitys must comply with.

The IPPs who own the Nat Gas power plants in Ca.
When the traditional power plant hit their 25 year repower cycle. They are denied permits to rebuild to the prior capacity. It gets worse. They are allowed to repower 50% of prior capacity with Nat gas, as long as they install massive energy storage systems.

Some do, most dont, they just shutter the power plant. Why. Because these massive energy storage systems cost more money than they can get in a ROI. Basically there is not enough profit for the 25 year investment to make financial sense.

So the state of Ca is creating a huge problem when it comes to base load power plants. In the day time we are ok due to wind and solar. But what happens when the sun goes down?

And there is not enough base load power plants, or energy storage systems?

The more EVs that hit the grid only make this problem worse. Because its puts alot more demand on an already overloaded system.

Basic supply demand equation.

Ca refuses to allow base load plants to repower, and forces them to shut down, expecting to import more energy from the surrounding states. That works to a degree. But when you have a major outage, then its very difficult to restart the grid.

The key term here is Enertia. Which gets way over my paygrade. But it boils down to getting the power to flow on long transmission lines. We have to have base load plants to create the enetia in order to get the grid running again.

I gotta get to a meeting.

DLC

Reaction score
I feel confident that I can go anywhere anytime in my diesel chebby and I typically only need to pull over to piss on a 5 hr drive.

Hey @DWC what do you need for the garage charger? I have some wire and a few sticks of 1 1/4 conduit. I was going to recycle the wire….

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
I feel confident that I can go anywhere anytime in my diesel chebby and I typically only need to pull over to piss on a 5 hr drive.

Hey @DWC what do you need for the garage charger? I have some wire and a few sticks of 1 1/4 conduit. I was going to recycle the wire….
I’ll show you when you come over for your shirts!😁

Reactions: DLC

bk2drvr

Reaction score

100%.

The Governor of Ca has set renewable goals that the Utilitys must comply with.

The IPPs who own the Nat Gas power plants in Ca.
When the traditional power plant hit their 25 year repower cycle. They are denied permits to rebuild to the prior capacity. It gets worse. They are allowed to repower 50% of prior capacity with Nat gas, as long as they install massive energy storage systems.

Some do, most dont, they just shutter the power plant. Why. Because these massive energy storage systems cost more money than they can get in a ROI. Basically there is not enough profit for the 25 year investment to make financial sense.

So the state of Ca is creating a huge problem when it comes to base load power plants. In the day time we are ok due to wind and solar. But what happens when the sun goes down?

And there is not enough base load power plants, or energy storage systems?

The more EVs that hit the grid only make this problem worse. Because its puts alot more demand on an already overloaded system.

Basic supply demand equation.

Ca refuses to allow base load plants to repower, and forces them to shut down, expecting to import more energy from the surrounding states. That works to a degree. But when you have a major outage, then its very difficult to restart the grid.

The key term here is Enertia. Which gets way over my paygrade. But it boils down to getting the power to flow on long transmission lines. We have to have base load plants to create the enetia in order to get the grid running again.

I gotta get to a meeting.
So getting back to this… I gotta say this is doom and gloom talk and maybe you will end up being right but I’m gonna be a glass is half full guy and believe this will get worked out. Socal is the largest economy in the nation, I just can’t see us going dark. So for now I’m going to enjoy my Tesla and the massive fuel savings I’m enjoying as I’m sure it won’t last. I’ll be watching the grid power situation more closely. Thanks for the the insight, it’s an interesting (and frightening) situation.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
"Crisis is the rallying cry of Tyrants" - James Madison

Xring01

Reaction score
So getting back to this… I gotta say this is doom and gloom talk and maybe you will end up being right but I’m gonna be a glass is half full guy and believe this will get worked out. Socal is the largest economy in the nation, I just can’t see us going dark. So for now I’m going to enjoy my Tesla and the massive fuel savings I’m enjoying as I’m sure it won’t last. I’ll be watching the grid power situation more closely. Thanks for the the insight, it’s an interesting (and frightening) situation.
Just remember. I owned a Model S…
I got stuck twice in 1 year, because of power outages.

Teslas are the best EV on the market in my opinion. I love the cars, I love the tech, I love the performance.

But not getting where I need to, was not acceptable. Thats not Telsas fault.

Thats was grid failures. I know grid failures better than most. I know for a fact they will get more frequent based on the policy’s that are mandated and the “new technology” that is not proven, andmore expensive alternative thats supposed to solve these problems.

I have been on here long enough for most of you to know me. I am just sharing my opinion, and when it comes to this topic, I am pretty damn accurate.