WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tesla Continues to collapse.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Tesla Inc. posted a $671 million loss for the third quarter -- its largest ever quarterly deficit -- dropping from a $22 million net profit recorded for the same period last year.
The electric-vehicle company attributed the loss to ramping up Model 3, pushing back its timeline of producing 5,000 Model 3 vehicles a week from the fourth quarter of this year to the first quarter of 2018. The company cited the battery assembly line at its Nevada Gigafactory as the primary constraint in Model 3 production, adding that it will reduce Model S and Model X production by 10 percent in the fourth quarter to move inventory and dedicate more manpower to Model 3 production.
?There are thousands of processes to build the Model 3,? said Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who spoke during an earnings conference call from the Gigafactory. ?We can only move as fast as the least competent elements of that mixture."
Automotive revenue during the quarter grew 10 percent to $2.36 billion, the company said after stock markets closed. Shares in Tesla fell 5.0 percent in after-hours trading to $304.90.
The company burned through $1.4 billion in cash during the quarter as it continued to invest heavily in its plants. That's compared with a cash burn of $1.16 billion during the second quarter.
?A continued delay in Model 3 production and bigger losses were not the news hoped for with Tesla?s earnings report,? wrote Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst at Autotrader, in an emailed statement.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/tesla-posts-record-losses#ixzz4xfsEFKOq

Last edited by a moderator:

500bbc

Reaction score
Tesla Inc. posted a $671 million loss for the third quarter -- its largest ever quarterly deficit -- dropping from a $22 million net profit recorded for the same period last year.
The electric-vehicle company attributed the loss to ramping up Model 3, pushing back its timeline of producing 5,000 Model 3 vehicles a week from the fourth quarter of this year to the first quarter of 2018. The company cited the battery assembly line at its Nevada Gigafactory as the primary constraint in Model 3 production, adding that it will reduce Model S and Model X production by 10 percent in the fourth quarter to move inventory and dedicate more manpower to Model 3 production.
?There are thousands of processes to build the Model 3,? said Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who spoke during an earnings conference call from the Gigafactory. ?We can only move as fast as the least competent elements of that mixture."
Automotive revenue during the quarter grew 10 percent to $2.36 billion, the company said after stock markets closed. Shares in Tesla fell 5.0 percent in after-hours trading to $304.90.
The company burned through $1.4 billion in cash during the quarter as it continued to invest heavily in its plants. That's compared with a cash burn of $1.16 billion during the second quarter.
?A continued delay in Model 3 production and bigger losses were not the news hoped for with Tesla?s earnings report,? wrote Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst at Autotrader, in an emailed statement.

Read more:
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/tesla-posts-record-losses#ixzz4xfsEFKOq

You can get a Tesla solar tile roof now, now being a minimum of two years from now if you get your deposit it STAT.:)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Those operating capital numbers just make me sweat.

I am currently at the last of three long running concurrent projects and I could not imagine doing it with such high overhead, one mistake and you are completely wiped out.

Brian

rrrr

Reaction score
Collapsing? :lmao :rolleyes

Yes, collapsing. They lost $619 million in the third quarter, on top of $336 billion in the second quarter. They will post losses well over $2 billion for 2017.

This graph shows revenue versus losses. They have never made a profit. If you don't think Tesla can roll over dead you have a lot to learn about the business world.

screenshot_s@2.jpg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If that tax bill gets passed, I'm going laugh my ass off when that subsidized tard genius goes belly up.

Remember............elections have consequences!!!!! :rotflmao:

They're almost at the 200k car limit for subsidies anyway, and have been pushing for the subsidies to end so that their competitors don't have a $7500/car advantage.

They won't collapse so long as investors keep them afloat.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Pretty far from a collapse so far. With over 500,000 orders for the model 3, it's just a matter of playing catch up, as that represents billions in revenue. And it has been beaten to death but Tesla is the least subsidized automaker. They are more American than the big 3, so I wouldn't hope for their end personally.

ROFL.

They just pushed back production for another 3-5 months on the 3. Can't make those billions if they cannot be built.

It's a house of cards that is about to get blown down.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Pretty far from a collapse so far. With over 500,000 orders for the model 3, it's just a matter of playing catch up, as that represents billions in revenue. And it has been beaten to death but Tesla is the least subsidized automaker. They are more American than the big 3, so I wouldn't hope for their end personally.

Lol when the functionality, range and price are finalized, more than half of those ?orders? will dissolve. I know several that have an ?order? and they are losing patience.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Those are all finalized, a long time ago. Most were notified of the 2018 delivery date, this isn't a surprise. People are actually happy, you can sell it for a profit so the reservation has made people $10k plus in some cases.

Sell what for a profit? Your Model 3? Your reservation?

pronstar

Reaction score
Tesla needs to go away.

Tell Wall Street.
They're the folks funding the company.

Investors "losing patience" isn't the same as "have lost patience" but that's not to say they won't get there.

Wall Street wants to be in the auto sector and they don't like any of the traditional players, if we simply lol at earnings and valuations.

IMHO FoMoCo is a great buy for a dividend-paying stock [emoji106]

rrrr

Reaction score
They won't collapse so long as investors keep them afloat.

Some posters have the same attitude of Tesla stockholders: Elon is a genius and he will make it work.

Unfortunately, the entities that really matter, bondholders, banks holding Tesla debt, professional financial analysts, and other financial sources for more money are beginning to see things differently.

Tessa's bonds are about to be downgraded to CCC-. That's junk status. They have $18 billion in collateralized loans, which have pledged the physical assets of the corporation.

Every time they raise cash through share offerings, it dilutes the value of shares held.

The $1.9 billion revolving line of credit issued by banks is maxed out and the backers have indicated they will not increase it.

Tesla took on $6.2 billion in collateralized debt in the acquisition of Solar City. It will cost over $600 million this year to service that debt.

They have significant restraints on their ability to borrow any more money. Sources say less than $2 billion is available. That's less than they will lose in 2017.

Here's a list of significant impediments from financial website SeekingAlpha. This presents a grim picture, detailing the tiny amount of money available to borrow, upon which the company's future depends.

Tesla's net proceeds from the recent capital raise were $1.22 billion. Just this year alone, Tesla will spend $658 million retiring SolarCity debt. (That number could be lower if SpaceX kicks its debt down the road; will anyone ask about that at the next conference call?)

At least $134 million of that already has been spent to repay debt that was "nonrecourse" to SolarCity.

Deducting the 2017 SolarCity debt, Tesla has $557 million remaining from the capital raise.
Another $330 million of SolarCity debt will come due in 2018.

Tesla's repayment in January of the $134 million nonrecourse MyPower facility suggests Tesla may eventually feel compelled to repay other "nonrecourse" SolarCity debt as well.
The just-issued convertible bonds were an expensive addition to the capital structure.

Tesla's explanation that it spent $151 million on hedges to guard against shareholder dilution strains credulity. More likely, it was an underwriter requirement.

Given the cost of the convertible bonds, their issuance suggests the underwriters sense a limited market appetite for new equity, at least right now.

Barring a waiver from its secured lenders, Tesla's remaining runway for more bond debt is, at most, $150 million, and likely closer to $23 million.

At year-end, Tesla was largely tapped out on the ABL. According to its 10-K, Tesla had $181 million of remaining borrowing capacity (and, possibly, another $50 million by way of "Incremental Commitment").

Tesla has the right to mortgage the Gigafactory. However, it's difficult to imagine any lender making a loan on a property occupied rent-free by a tenant who can stay in possession if the landlord defaults.

Tesla also has the right to borrow against its battery storage assets. Given the break-even performance of that business, it's unlikely we'll see any material borrowing from that source.

There will be more equity raises, including at least one more in 2017.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4058954-teslas-contractual-obligations-top-18-billion

Tesla said it would be building 10,000 Model 3 vehicles before the end of the year. Now they say 5,000 units is all they will be able to build because of serious difficulties with their production line automation equipment.

It's becoming clear that Tesla is in very serious financial trouble.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
They'll figure it out.

all complex entities like the Boeing 787 and first time assembly lines for new product - are going to be late

1-2 Quarters is normal - even a year are really nothing in the long game. Remember all the hullabaloo about the 787?

Do I like the subsidy?

No. Nor did I like the big 3's bailout, the gm allowed bankruptcy, nor the dollar we spend on petrochemicals and their defense.

UD

pronstar

Reaction score

Some posters have the same attitude of Tesla stockholders: Elon is a genius and he will make it work.

Unfortunately, the entities that really matter, bondholders, banks holding Tesla debt, professional financial analysts, and other financial sources for more money are beginning to see things differently.

Tessa's bonds are about to be downgraded to CCC-. That's junk status. They have $18 billion in collateralized loans, which have pledged the physical assets of the corporation.

Every time they raise cash through share offerings, it dilutes the value of shares held.

The $1.9 billion revolving line of credit issued by banks is maxed out and the backers have indicated they will not increase it.

Tesla took on $6.2 billion in collateralized debt in the acquisition of Solar City. It will cost over $600 million this year to service that debt.

They have significant restraints on their ability to borrow any more money. Sources say less than $2 billion is available. That's less than they will lose in 2017.

Here's a list of significant impediments from financial website SeekingAlpha. This presents a grim picture, detailing the tiny amount of money available to borrow, upon which the company's future depends.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4058954-teslas-contractual-obligations-top-18-billion

Tesla said it would be building 10,000 Model 3 vehicles before the end of the year. Now they say 5,000 units is all they will be able to build because of serious difficulties with their production line automation equipment.

It's becoming clear that Tesla is in very serious financial trouble.

I don't doubt what you're saying.

But the stock price and current valuation is still more tech-sector than auto-sector.

Someone is handing them money.
I'm not a shareholder so it ain't me.

I do think they'll turn things around, and eventually generate a profit. I just don't know how their stock valuation can last and such a lofty level.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Yes, collapsing. They lost $619 million in the third quarter, on top of $336 billion in the second quarter. They will post losses well over $2 billion for 2017.

This graph shows revenue versus losses. They have never made a profit. If you don't think Tesla can roll over dead you have a lot to learn about the business world.

View attachment 597077

These are the numbers I was referring to, on another thread a few weeks back .

Every week, his goals fall further and further out of his reach, with these massive losses .

This new "production delay" has all but taken the "light from the end of his tunnel" .........

Here's an article from Forbes, released this week. It details the train wreck, and how shareholders and creditors are losing patience.

Read it carefully, GRADS. Musk isn't a magician, he just has a good line of bullshit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2017/11/06/tesla-investors-may-be-losing-patience/

Musk got into this whole deal at the "correct political climate", which gladly dumped millions and millions into his lap, for starting a "politically correct business", which is all politics and very little "business sense" .

ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR of BLEEDING to DEATH, and even firing a few workers, yet not doing anything to change the overall direction of the company .

I want him to produce a VIABLE product, I want to see him succeed, I want him to hire and employ many people for the long term, but I don't want my taxes to SUBSIDIZE his "for profit business" .

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
10K units by year end, down to 5K and they need lots more cash to do the reduced number......The end is drawing near. Maybe the Chicons will buy in with a deal in their favor and the genius will be working for someone else. Or kicking a can down the street.:hmm

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Tesla needs to go away.

Why? Because they build the fastest car out there that doesn't take a drop of gas or emit any emissions? Sounds like a real loser.:rolleyes

Oh, and it can drive itself.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
What makes all this even worse I think is that they are working full force on developing a new short range delivery truck (i.e. UPS/FedEx type). Yet they can't even get the 3 into full production......

Musk, constantly looking 2 miles ahead but failing to really figure out the 1/2 mile canyon between.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I was about to write this after my last post, but RDP world stopped immediately after I hit post.....

My Dad's company does A LOT of work for Tesla's Hawthorne (I believe that's what city it's in) facility. I showed him the article and he said he hopes the predictions are wrong because there is a lot of work going on at their facilities now and in the immediate future.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Why? Because they build the fastest car out there that doesn't take a drop of gas or emit any emissions? Sounds like a real loser.:rolleyes

Remember Grads Jerry the Fairy is doing everything he can to block new power generation in Cali.
Even clean burning modern plants to replace the old style stinkers.
He's against it all.
Ya gotta charge those cars batteries somehow and solar & wind ain't gonna do it.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Don't compare Tesla to Boeing in regard to product introductions or anything else for that matter.

Don't worry about Grads. He's a high-tech fanboi busy playing with the way overrated iPhone X which is the most expensive phone ever to buy and fix. But it has facial recognition (who NEEDS that?!) instead of a home button and new emojis (who NEEDS that?!). It does run all the apps you're using now on your non-iPhone X so there's that.

rcmike

Reaction score
They'll figure it out.

all complex entities like the Boeing 787 and first time assembly lines for new product - are going to be late

1-2 Quarters is normal - even a year are really nothing in the long game. Remember all the hullabaloo about the 787?

747 was produced for over 50 years. Who knows how long they will build 787. You can eat a year in that timeline... How long are car models produced? Is Tesla expecting to sell the 3 for 50 years?

It's a really bad comparison..

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I have been following this company for some time. I can not justify the current valuation and it is obvious that the business model is at risk if and when the subsidies end. If this is like many previous high profile collapses it will not be gradual but more like when it happens it will happen quickly, which is not a question of if but WHEN.......that being said I just submitted a request for refund on my model 3 deposit :D

spectras only

Reaction score
I have been following this company for some time. I can not justify the current valuation and it is obvious that the business model is at risk if and when the subsidies end. If this is like many previous high profile collapses it will not be gradual but more like when it happens it will happen quickly, which is not a question of if but WHEN.......that being said I just submitted a request for refund on my model 3 deposit :D

Need another 4999 holders cancel their order request, so Musk can relax and deliver to the other 5000 :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I was about to write this after my last post, but RDP world stopped immediately after I hit post.....

My Dad's company does A LOT of work for Tesla's Hawthorne (I believe that's what city it's in) facility. I showed him the article and he said he hopes the predictions are wrong because there is a lot of work going on at their facilities now and in the immediate future.
Musks Space X company is in Hawthorne. Not sure if Tesla is in the same building. I also have a lot of family and friends that are either working as sub contractors to Space X or at the huge new Tesla project in Reno.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Musks Space X company is in Hawthorne. Not sure if Tesla is in the same building. I also have a lot of family and friends that are either working as sub contractors to Space X or at the huge new Tesla project in Reno.
The design and engineering facilities for Tesla are in Hawthorne. This is how I know about the Truck. But yes, the majority of the facility is Space-X.

I think once this new battery tech with solid state batteries is finally all ironed out, if it's in the next couple years at most, could drive the final nail in Tesla's coffin.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Unless someone rewires the universe, no large change is coming in regards to battery storage.

I have a paper on my desk about Vanadium redox-floe batteries, but they are being used for grid solutions. They perform on par with Li-Ion batteries but fewer drawbacks. They look expensive.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

But WavetoWave said everyone was happy and knew the car would be overpriced, under ranged, and delivered late. :)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Unless someone rewires the universe, no large change is coming in regards to battery storage.

I have a paper on my desk about Vanadium redox-floe batteries, but they are being used for grid solutions. They perform on par with Li-Ion batteries but fewer drawbacks. They look expensive.
So you're saying all the recent breakthroughs and research on solid state batteries is just a bunch of wasted effort and R&D money?

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Hecho in China means China owns 51% of Tesla in China, if they build them there. Intellectual property will be owned by China. Soon, Tesla will be Teslahatchimon!

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
So you're saying all the recent breakthroughs and research on solid state batteries is just a bunch of wasted effort and R&D money?
YES , much like Cancer Research . WHY would anyone allow a "cure or a viable power source" to slow or halt the FLOW OF FREE MONEY into their fields of research ?

Just like the bailout of GM, Tesla should be "owned or partially owned by the US Government", since it is mostly federal funds, together with "emotionally inflated stock holders monies" .

To create a new technology that relies on other OLD technology for it's use, with no effort to "solve the entire problem", is why I feel that Musk never really aimed to solve our transportation problems at all .

IF 100 of your neighbors (2 mile radius) came home from work between 4.00PM and 7.00PM, each plugged in their car when they got home, how much would that effect your local power grid ? Now consider that kind of LOAD, nationwide, all at the same hours .

Musk is making money TRANSFERRING "one emissions source for another of equal quantity" .

Until the USA moves 100% to a clean-stable source of electric power, electric cars show me little in the way of ; price point, utility, long term viability, ecological impact . IMO, it's a quick and quiet "pet rock" .

IMO, he has "targeted" the areas of technology that are popularly and politically known as "benefits to mankind" . They were/are also areas that offered THE MOST FEDERAL GRANTS .

Electric cars, battery technology, rocketry and viable space vehicles, consumer battery and solar panel sales . Please remember, the US and the Russians had already perfected "reusable component landings", back in the 1980's , and Musk hired those X-NASA people to work for him .

He probably found all the good cancer grants already taken .

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
YES , much like Cancer Research . WHY would anyone allow a "cure or a viable power source" to slow or halt the FLOW OF FREE MONEY into their fields of research ?

Just like the bailout of GM, Tesla should be "owned or partially owned by the US Government", since it is mostly federal funds, together with "emotionally inflated stock holders monies" .

To create a new technology that relies on other OLD technology for it's use, with no effort to "solve the entire problem", is why I feel that Musk never really aimed to solve our transportation problems at all .

IF 100 of your neighbors (2 mile radius) came home from work between 4.00PM and 7.00PM, each plugged in their car when they got home, how much would that effect your local power grid ? Now consider that kind of LOAD, nationwide, all at the same hours .

Musk is making money TRANSFERRING "one emissions source for another of equal quantity" .

Until the USA moves 100% to a clean-stable source of electric power, electric cars show me little in the way of ; price point, utility, long term viability, ecological impact . IMO, it's a quick and quiet "pet rock" .

IMO, he has "targeted" the areas of technology that are popularly and politically known as "benefits to mankind" . They were/are also areas that offered THE MOST FEDERAL GRANTS .

Electric cars, battery technology, rocketry and viable space vehicles, consumer battery and solar panel sales . Please remember, the US and the Russians had already perfected "reusable component landings", back in the 1980's , and Musk hired those X-NASA people to work for him .

I get your correlation between pharmaceutical research and battery research, but..... I do not believe they truly can be used in that way to justify $ being thrown into battery research.

With Battery tech, you develop and build new and better technology, you make money by doing so because people have other options. They cannot develop a never ending, or never needing to be replaced battery. I do not believe there is a material in the world that does not depleat over time from constant charge/discharge cycles. So, unlike pharmaceutical research, the products they are attempting to develop won't necessarily put them out of business. Who needs cancer medicine and research when there is no more cancer due to a cure being found?

My thoughts may not have been laid out very eloquently, so hopefully my point is somewhat clear.

Btw..... I agree with you that an electric car really doesn't solve shit at this point in time.

500bbc

Reaction score

Oh George quit being so negative, you need to be more positive and grounded.

Electricity comes from the magic place, that little socket in your wall. What could be more Pranet saving than that?:rolleyes:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Battery tech will always be a stop gap, since even using very durable (expensive) materials you are still using chemical reactions to generate electron flow.

Once someone comes out with a fission or fusion generator, THEN you will see the entire world change.

Until that point, IMO, it's a constant dog and pony show merry-go-round where nothing is really getting fixed, they are just swapping the blame to something that is politically or media "buzz" currently.

530RL

Reaction score
Tesla buyers are not buying P100D ludicrous for 150k because they are saving the planet, they are buying it because it is an emotional purchase no different than someone driving a 488GTB every day in traffic or buying a big boat.

Is Tesla a long-term business model that can succeed? Who knows?

But the buyer of the P100D doesn't really give a shit, he just cares he has a car that can at least til the next light give the 488 a run for its money.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Tesla buyers are not buying P100D ludicrous for 150k because they are saving the planet, they are buying it because it is an emotional purchase no different than someone driving a 488GTB every day in traffic or buying a big boat.

But the buyer of the P100D doesn't really give a shit, he just cares he has a car that can at least til the next light give the 488 a run for its money.

I would still rather have the Ferrari...nothing like that sweet sound on the pipe... ;)

spectras only

Reaction score
I retired from Kodak last year in October. The once mighty company with over 85k employees shrunk to a meager 6000 as of today. Kodak went to bankruptcy protection during the economic turndown and IMHO never recovered from the multi billion loss. Our division in Burnaby BC with only a few hundred techs left carries the commercial printing division, the only real profit making entitiy. The company will die unfortunately and what ever left will be moving to China [ had K factories already there ] with all the intellectual properties.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...-posts-third-quarter-earnings-loss/846271001/

What Tesla needs is a miracle brakethrough in battery research, unless they can wait for brakethrough in fusion power research that`s most likely be quite few decades from now,lol.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Would you invest in tesla?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I didn't see where I said anything like that.

"Unless someone rewires the universe, no large change is coming in regards to battery storage"

That's what I took from that. The supposed properties of solid-state batteries (lighter weight per amp/hour storage, more cycles in its life span, ability to be further discharged without causing damage, etc) would lend themselves VERY well to mobile platforms.