WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tesla is moving to Texas ?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
They've been building that gigafactory outside of Austin for a while now. CA was a stopgap to get up and running as they just used an already built plant vs. creating an efficient one for their manufacturing process.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Nothing new

They were having some trouble with the locals in fremont and also the state.

They almost got shut down last year after the restart due to the Rona. I don’t think they appreciated what transpired at the time

The move was inevitable but recent events did not help

DWC

Reaction score
Surprised more companies haven’t done it. Thought i had my boss convinced to move our regional office to Phoenix late last year. So close.

oldschool

Reaction score
Thought this was common knowledge. I think Abbott and Musk are working on recruiting other companies to make the move to Texas as well.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Why any corporations stay in California with there inflated tax rate and restrictions blows my mind at this point. The nail in the coffin was last year when the local officials shut down there factory with zero incidents almost to the point of bankrupting Tesla. Can't blame Elon one bit for taking his ball and moving. It's a sad day!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Assuming this is true...(I haven't looked)

For this type of move to pencil out that would have to be a massive savings. Moving an entire manufacturing facility of that scale is no joke. even ignoring disruptions in the supply chain, just the physical move of the hardware and some staff is no joke.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Tech companies have huge margins so they can afford cali.

Tesla ain’t tech so margins are tight.

Cali doesn’t want yore bizness. Why can’t you conservatives get that thru yore thick skulls.😉

Oh a fuck Newsome

BingerFang

Reaction score

Cali doesn’t want yore bizness. Why can’t you conservatives get that thru yore thick skulls.😉

Oh a fuck Newsome

Tesla is a tech company though …

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
I feel bad for Texas, the damage liberals do far exceeds any tax revenue that factory will contribute. Texas is already being overrun with CA types invading changing what makes Texas great. Well at least they picked Austin it's already a leftest mess.

PDQH2O

Reaction score

For this type of move to pencil out that would have to be a massive savings. Moving an entire manufacturing facility of that scale is no joke. even ignoring disruptions in the supply chain, just the physical move of the hardware and some staff is no joke.
And only about 15% of the staff you hope would go along actually do so. Once moved an aerospace company from OC to the east coast. Didn't go well for the acquiring company, even after flying the flag mployee and spouse to check the place out I.e., sell them on the move. Huge culture shock for all parties, unwelcoming neighborhoods, higher cost of living, industry downsizing/base closing and the like.

Learned a lot about business decision making, people on both sides of the country, logistics challenges supply chain and productivity interruptions, and customer satisfaction.

Springfield

Reaction score
When Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzales tweeted Fuck Elon Musk, he said that was the icing on the cake.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I swear to get "News" you need to read multiple opposing sources. If you read the "Facts" of Fox, CNN, LA Times, NY Times, ect. You will find this is simply a tax move. The California factory is not moving. The Austin Texas facility, which is already under construction, is just being called the "Corporate Headquarters." Zero facility changes just words.
Politics and Taxes - that is all.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I swear to get "News" you need to read multiple opposing sources. If you read the "Facts" of Fox, CNN, LA Times, NY Times, ect. You will find this is simply a tax move. The California factory is not moving. The Austin Texas facility, which is already under construction, is just being called the "Corporate Headquarters." Zero facility changes just words.
This what I heard as well. He has the land already and is planning on expanding another factory in Texas. But the one in CA is staying for now. He also sighted un affordable housing up that way.

Xring01

Reaction score

I agree with the initial part of your statement, but not the conclusion.

The conclusion is that Ca loses a boat load of income from the taxs that Tesla HQ was paying. Texas is the new recipient of said taxs, but at a lower rate. So Ca, loses 100% of the Corp State Tax that Tesla pays and Texas gains 100% of the new HQ in Austin. So its not that simple.

Especially when you start calculating all the jobs that are Lost in Ca, and moved to Texas. For example do you think the CFO will stay in Ca, or be forced to Texas… what about all the people who reports to him..

Its alot bigger than “just tax’s”… ALOT

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

It is always a tax move. It is a simple business decision with a lot of complex moving parts.

Springfield

Reaction score
With that move takes employment which takes dollars out of the community for everyday expenses, flowing cash is now going to Texas. With the difference in housing costs sure their employees pre signed up to go.

Singleton

Reaction score
This what I heard as well. He has the land already and is planning on expanding another factory in Texas. But the one in CA is staying for now. He also sighted un affordable housing up that way.

Corporation HQ move.
However I am hearing once the CA tax incentives for the CA MFG site expire, the plant will close.
They can’t close the plant today, due to the incentives they got when they purchased it.

Singleton

Reaction score
With that move takes employment which takes dollars out of the community for everyday expenses, flowing cash is now going to Texas. With the difference in housing costs sure their employees pre signed up to go.

employees have the option to relocate themselves.
Oracle did the same thing and Larry and Elon are buddies.
In both cases, HQ moved on paper, but employees were told if you want to relocate you can, but it is on your dime. Zero company relocation packages will be offered

Springfield

Reaction score
employees have the option to relocate themselves.
Oracle did the same thing and Larry and Elon are buddies.
In both cases, HQ moved on paper, but employees were told if you want to relocate you can, but it is on your dime. Zero company relocation packages will be offered
I'd still be motivated to go, and I am sure many have chosen to make the transition. But then it could effect he pay scale as some corps base pay on local figures, salaries vary crossing state lines.

Singleton

Reaction score
I'd still be motivated to go, and I am sure many have chosen to make the transition. But then it could effect he pay scale as some corps base pay on local figures, salaries vary crossing state lines.
I had to deal with this when I was in sr leadership and I had team members relocate due to family.
Usually, the pay will stay the same, but the merit increase % stays flat for x years.
I had an employee go from San Diego to Dallas. The agreement was no reduction in pay or bonus, but merit increases would be between 0 and 1% for 5 years or until salary is within local range.

rrrr

Reaction score

Musk was quoted as saying the move will result in a 38% reduction in operating costs. I don't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

He has also relocated his personal domicile to Austin, which will also be a huge tax savings.

rrrr

Reaction score
I think the factory will remain in Fremont. Everything else is moving including office types.

Been though downtown LA lately? It will never recover

They've been building a multi-billion factory outside of Austin for almost a year.

nowski

Reaction score
Tesla is moving to Texas? And I thought they had moved to China...

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

The CA factory is not moving but I bet you it will be shut down once TX is fully operational. TX and China factories are damn near fully automated. The amount of planning to get those things as efficient as possible is amazing. They even have a road down the middle so goods can be delivered to a specific station vs a loading dock. The CA plant literally has large tents on the end of the building to make the manufacturing process work. Bodies from the gigapress in CA, which doesn’t fit in the CA plant, sit in piles outside before moving down the assembly line because there is no storage space.

It worked to get them running, but was never the end game.

WYRD

Reaction score

Oh a fuck Newsome
I hear you loud and clear....

LET'S GO NEWTON! LET'S GO NEWTON! 👍😉

USMC2010

Reaction score
I'm working in giga Texas this week. There is no way to describe how massive this facility is. I'm seeing a few finished cars on the line and all of the walls and windows aren't even in.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm working in giga Texas this week. There is no way to describe how massive this facility is. I'm seeing a few finished cars on the line and all of the walls and windows aren't even in.
I saw this place in jan 21 being built..... 24 hrs a day it was going and the lights they had to light it up at night was crazy. Can only imagine what it looks like now.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Screenshot_20211020-133908_Chrome.jpg

USMC2010

Reaction score
It takes me 15 minutes to get from parking to where I need to be walking. Today I did almost 10000 steps and was only in one area. I can hear the conversation Elon had now, show me the plans, make it bigger...I said make it bigger, no...bigger. LOL
Here is the contractor parking and the north wall wide open today.

Attachments

• IMG_20211019_075714.jpg
    IMG_20211019_075714.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211020_160848.jpg
    IMG_20211020_160848.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20211019_075712.jpg
    IMG_20211019_075712.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211019_075717.jpg
    IMG_20211019_075717.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20211020_160843.jpg
    IMG_20211020_160843.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 32

rickym20

Reaction score
I saw this place in jan 21 being built..... 24 hrs a day it was going and the lights they had to light it up at night was crazy. Can only imagine what it looks like now.

Was on that job back in January, funny you say that about the lights …biggest I’ve seen on a Jobsite and had to take a picture haha
C0494FCC-1E2A-4B6B-BE26-7D7758AB0769.jpeg