WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tesla owners?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Tired of paying 1000-1500/ month in fuel, at AZ prices. Ordered a base M3 yesterday, hope to see it before the end of the year, but realistically, I’m thinking March.

Have any inmates ordered recently?

Any Tesla owners on here?

I’ve been shopping hybrids/ electric vehicles/ etc. M3 seems to be the best value/ availablity proposition.

Not looking to spend big money.

Is the Dual Motor really worth 11k more?

Will be used for PHX commuting. I do 50 miles a day, old lady does 100 miles a day, round trip. 7 days a week combined. Want to keep my Ram 3500 and her Volvo XC90 parked for non work duty. Currently spending $1000-1500/month on fuel only, and that’s just for work and errands.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Are the two existing vehicles paid for?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Yeah for sure the Dual Motor is worth the extra coin. With EV's you're gonna want the most amount of range possible. You'll be able to get a good rate on your electric bill in AZ too, charge at night for a few bucks. But right now you're looking at a delivery date of October for a Model 3 LR.

Don't buy a standard range Model 3.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Existing vehicles are paid for. Would trade hers, but need mine to tow, and it’s the 14mpg pig. So, we will keep hers for long distance travel. Plus, it’s an amazing ride. Just don’t want to mile it out after 2 years. Plus, will likely give the m3 to my kiddo in 6 years when he turns 16.

We had never driven a Tesla, some friends of ours came by in their (new to them) m3 this weekend and we were sold, after they let me drive it.

I was shopping EVERYTHING. I’m not paying markup on a Toyota hybrid. Or spending new money on a used vehicle.

This is more for keeping miles off of our vehicles than it is a pure savings proposition. But even if we have a 600/mo payment it appears to be paying for itself and then some.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I would love the dual motor or performance. But, realistically, I need 150 miles of range to get us to work, or to the East valley (PHX) where I can plug in, for our use. For out of town travel we can take the Volvo. If we’re towing we will take the Ram. The 11k extra toward the Dual Motor gets me halfway to a canam or RZR once prices reset.

Joker

Reaction score
What I’ve noticed from Tesla owners on the highway is that you are required to hit the brakes when you are 100 yards away from the car in front of you.
Tesla owners are slowly approaching the status of a Prius owner.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Lmao. Yeah I see that too. I commute the 303 here in PHX, so I’ll be running 90+ each way for my 50 mile total commute. 😂

Roosky01

Reaction score
I've never sat down and penciled the numbers to see how long an EV takes to actually save you money, but electric rates are going to go through the roof eventually and I dont believe most peeps are taking that into account.

But then again, I may be mentally challenged on this subject.🤪

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
M3 had me thinking Bavarian.

With AZ rates you’ll be fine. Here, in CA, my wife drives the new S and it doesn’t really pencil out as well... But also keep in mind they are 600 to 1,000 hp.

As for the 11k, the range is better, as well as power… really depends on your purpose. Strictly for commuter and if you readily have the ability to charge it, save the 11k and treat it as such. Stepping up to the DM is another price range and more “car” to enjoy (and less range anxiety).

If you haven’t already, I would test drive one. Personally, I’m not the biggest fan of the S’s ride characteristics. Wifey likes it, so that’s all that really matters as it’s her car. Can’t comment on the 3 as I’ve never driven one.

Elon does have a sense of humor, Tesla models: S3XY

My $0.02

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
At current rates, it pays for itself just in fuel vs electricity savings, not counting miles saved on our current vehicles. Or The price of tires on my Ram vs tires on the Tesla.

I test drove my homies 19 SR M3. And loved it.

Charge rates I’ve been quoted- AZ prices- from my friends with electric cars, is 3-5 bucks for 80 miles.

Roosky01

Reaction score
It really pains me to see you refer to it as an M3.😳

This is a great example of a M3. 😎

1656392129598.png

Not M3-

1656392301116.png

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
What I’ve noticed from Tesla owners on the highway is that you are required to hit the brakes when you are 100 yards away from the car in front of you.
Tesla owners are slowly approaching the status of a Prius owner.

That's because of the regen braking. Once you let off the pedal it will put the brake lights on. It has nothing to do with how bad the drivers are, in fact most Tesla drivers don't even use the brake pedal.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
We have Model 3. Dual motor, long range with accelerate boost package. Definitely worth the upgrade. My 324 mile range is not that with real driving. Dont want to always worry about battery and distance.
Nice.
That's because of the regen braking. Once you let off the pedal it will put the brake lights on. It has nothing to do with how bad the drivers are, in fact I don't even use the brake pedal. lol
That regen braking is aggressive as fuck. All non Tesla owners need to at least drive one to see why they decel like they do. But the Tesla drivers need to bail outta the high speed lane if they want to save the planet.

Does anyone have range info at high speeds? 85-95+?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
For those trying to say “dual motor brah!” Or “M3P!!” Please provide me with an economical reason why that is. I need to see why it makes financial sense. Or at least breaks even.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I like Tesla as much as the next dude, but based on your Hawkeye profile are you from Iowa? What's your family going to think when you show up in this for Christmas back home in Waverly? 😜

1656393477951.png

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
LOL the Tesla Owner from CA rolling into PHX driving like an asshole….No thank you!!! Rather be burning fuel myself not worried about my next charge station. 👍

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I have a Model 3 Performance that I use for my 100mile daily commute, I live on a hill so from 3500ft down to 600ft elevation and back every day. I have about 50k miles on it now. Range is never a problem.

Good:
1. Fast in the city. You will never lose a stoplight drag race. Pushing the go pedal to the floor for lightspeed acceleration a handful of times a day has almost no effect on battery range. The stop light racing ability is so good that I sold my other dual purpose car because it sucked in comparison...GT350.
2. Drive all day, charge up at night. Never see a gas station. I charge after 9pm and think its about $100 per month extra on my electric bill (not exact numbers) or about a quarter that of gas.
3. Nice ride. Good stereo, quiet cabin, comfortable seats, good utility room for the model.
4. Good Handling. I live in the mountains, about 60 miles of my daily commute are twisty road that are sometimes used for car magazine tests or weekend warrior racing, the last five miles to my house is almost a private racetrack. The low roll center of the 3 and Mich PSS tires make the car feel better than most perf sedans. I have owned a number of 911's, a Cayman S and GT350 recently, the 3 is better for 90% of the pace, the last 10% sucks. Perhaps some bolt ons could fix that last 10%.
5. No Maintenance. Other than tires, cabin air filters and tires I haven't had to do anything to it. Over air updates are next level good.

Bad:
1. No Soul. As fast as it is, good handling and efficiency it is pretty boring to drive. Just a s fast golf cart.
2. Glass roof is hot on your head. I think this would suck in Phx, you really feel the sun backing your head.
3. Left-wing Shame-mobile. It looks like a pod mobile, I feel 50% my character is being assassinated driving the thing. Hey, driving a Porsche or Mustang most people think your a dick so this is a different take on the same thing.
4. Road Trips. It's ok for some destinations and routes but more restrictive than an ICE vehicle for sure.
5. Insurance. 2x for me vs the GT350.
6. Tire wear. Burns through the stock Michelin PS4s tires in about 12k miles, second set maybe 15k. I carry plug kit and air comp because I don't trust the Tesla
roadside network in my remote area.
7. Body repair. I dinged a rocker panel, it was about $4k to repair. Most car have a serviceable part to replace at the rocker, the Tesla is one piece from the front to the back...stupid.
8. Stinky Cabin Smell. OK when new but after 20k miles in a hot climate the AC starts to smell like rotten gym socks. Replacing the cabin air filters and cleaning the AC coil is easy and fixes the problem.

I will drive this 100k and then see what is next, honestly for my current use it works out pretty well. This car has recalibrated what I value in a performance car/sedan. The question is what $60k car offers more soul and performance that can be utilized for a commuter car for the price ?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I have the Model Y dual motor, long range. I’m not going to get into a pissing match here again so I will just tell you everything I know from owning one. I bought it for my fiancé in Feb 2021 when they were 13k less expensive than they are today. I have a 1/2 ton GMC Sierra. She hasn’t been to a gas station in over a year. I honestly can’t even imagine her pumping gas at this point. With the amount we drive and gas at let’s just say $6.25 gal avg it’s a no brainer. I’m getting a bit of a dual fuel savings from owning the Tesla because my truck sits unless it’s going to the river. The Tesla is driven everywhere. Electricity will go up at some point but we are a long way out from it being at or near the same cost as gasoline and charging at home costs pennies today. I didn’t buy this car for it to pencil out, I would have bought in this price range anyway. However the higher the fuel prices go the more it’s penciling out. Lol…Throw in a river trip a month and it’s getting even closer penciling out.

It’s your call on the long range vs standard range. If you can swing it I’d get the long range. Without already owning a Tesla you can’t really grasp what it will get you. You will end up wanting to drive the Tesla everywhere because going to a gas station will be the very last thing you want to ever do once you have it.

In my case I have a house at the river in Mohave Valley and I don’t think I could make the leg between Barstow and Mohave Valley (needles, if you don’t know where Mohave valley is) with the standard range. So long range was a must for us. $20 in supercharging round trip to the river, stop in Barstow in each direction to/from OC, approx 500 miles. Charging at the river house doesn’t even register on my electric bill.

Either way you go, congrats, you’ll love the car.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
For those trying to say “dual motor brah!” Or “M3P!!” Please provide me with an economical reason why that is. I need to see why it makes financial sense. Or at least breaks even.

Because you’re not gonna get the range you’re expecting going 80mph. And to preserve the battery you should only charge to 80% and initially the battery is gonna degrade a small amount too. You’ll thank me later..

Last edited:

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
We have the Model Y long range. The only complaints we have is heat from the roof, other than that it’s fast as f, the app shows about $95 a month in electricity and insurance thru Tesla is $142.00 and month. For my and her real estate signs one the best cars we’ve ever owned. We got it in October 21 and not a penny spent other than rotating the tires.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I think they’re neat cars and have ridden in dozens of them. It doesn’t make sense for me currently but I can see the advantage for those that it does.

I’m curious when CA is going to come for their “perceived” missed tax opportunity with Tesla’s using the highways but skipping the fuel taxes. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they begin taxing by mileage on electric vehicles. This state loves its taxes.

Xring01

Reaction score
I had a P90S, great car, as long as I could charge it..
Pretty worthless, when you cant… I got caught in 2 PSPS events in SoCal in the one year I owned mine.

So I sold it.

In addition the advertised range is no where near reality… especially in hot / cold weather and mountains. It can easily go down 25-30%.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Tired of paying 1000-1500/ month in fuel, at AZ prices. Ordered a base M3 yesterday, hope to see it before the end of the year, but realistically, I’m thinking March.

Have any inmates ordered recently?

Any Tesla owners on here?

I’ve been shopping hybrids/ electric vehicles/ etc. M3 seems to be the best value/ availablity proposition.

Not looking to spend big money.

Is the Dual Motor really worth 11k more?

Will be used for PHX commuting. I do 50 miles a day, old lady does 100 miles a day, round trip. 7 days a week combined. Want to keep my Ram 3500 and her Volvo XC90 parked for non work duty. Currently spending $1000-1500/month on fuel only, and that’s just for work and errands.
Go test drive the EV6.

We were to buy a S but the build quality on friends, the long wait the high price and the phantom braking, pretzel steering wheel and you fry with that clear roof had us looking elsewhere.

Tesla charging stations are essential if you travel. The non-Tesla charging stations are highly unreliable.

Wife like the Porsche Taycan but the $140k price and reliability issues killed that.​

Kia EV6 starts under $50k, up to 577hp and more fun to drive than anything else we’ve tested.
Laura at Kia Valencia promises MSRP an delivers.

Headed to ‘Vegas from Los Angeles yesterday
First stretch stop was the Boron Rest Area and to check out the Cal Trans EV charger.

Couldn’t get it to work.
4B9A0325-CAD1-4C28-AC05-000E2FE0249E.jpeg

Acted like it wanted to work but nope.

So back on the I58 next charging attempt would be the Electrify America at the Barstow Ca Walmart Super Center.

First 3 chargers we tried did not work.
25 min on the phone finally Customer service answered and together we tried activating a couple more chargers,,, no luck.

Then a EV pulled out of a spot and me still on the phone with Electrify America and several reboots in 109F heat we got a charger to start.

79af8acc-3951-4829-bd69-6cfa571538e2-jpeg.6819

We had been warned to watch out for Litigation Shoppers, walking Walmart undead that will walk behind backing EVs in hopes of getting hit.

Yeah, they were there. Beware.
EV chargers just steps away from the Walmart exit are a really bad idea.

Going to be an hour charge so we walked over to the Pit Stop Tavern for a burger. Excellent.

We headed back out and next stop was along the I 15 Baker Calif Electrify America Station with maybe 20 chargers,, only 3 of them working.

737d6fb6-9ffe-4b19-ab61-5c9a377284b0-jpeg.6820

Baker Ca. 20 chargers west side and east side of town.

b0da68af-599c-41a1-b9ba-602b136de859-jpeg.6821

109f performance of the EV6 is colossal.
That sizzling hot desert asphalt speeds up to 95 MPH excellent.

Fun to drive car. A blast. Makes up for the chargers jive.

We charge at home on solar.
Wife can squeeze a charge from Simi to Grandmas in Vegas.

Though she will stop Off at Terribles in Jean or Eddie’s to throw a few extra miles charge in case she gets stuck in traffic.
A6123EFE-A57C-48F1-9A87-5BA0B78F18DE.jpeg
5903E58C-4171-439D-A231-84E4423D7950.jpeg

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Got my wife a Y performance in March.

Dual motor definitely worth it.

We just went to St. George Utah and back from Southern Cal. Total cost for charging was just at $100 no way we can do that trip for even close to that little in any other vehicle we own.

For us and my wife’s work situation we ended up cutting our monthly fuel bill by over $1000 a month. So this car from a cost standpoint is essentially free to us.

98AD99F3-298F-4D82-BAD3-797605EA53A7.jpeg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I’d you do not have it, do solar for your home too. Still 26% federal tax credit. Free
Electricity
We use 998 kWh at crankshaft manor a year.
Constant mailings from Edison asking us to cut back, we’re 30% more than the neighbors they said.

I’m retired and we have a full time special needs kid in the house so of course we’re burning more.

So we solar’d up to 170% in anticipation of elect vehicles.
$21k after taxes.
1CA46089-239B-4EDD-BF18-F6979BE74637.jpeg

No house elect bill and car charges fast at 60/48 AMPs
2F576E4F-0F18-4273-8514-7077D1FB11D0.jpeg
06520A26-8530-45CC-B4C2-22487D2A18EB.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
After reading these posts, everyone is expecting fuel prices to increase and never come back down?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Some people are bad at math. No it doesn’t pencil out It’s a push at best. I talked about it before so I won’t do it again. Electricity and electric car cost premiums cost money so it’s not a zero sum game. Higher gas prices have really changed things a bit though.

I also live in PG&E area so my electricity is expensive….. don’t know why….lol

Now I am not hating. I just installed solar on my primary home so it would make a lot of sense of get a Tesla cuz I would charge for cheap (free depending on how you look at it) Having said that I still won’t buy…

The model 3 is the way to go though if you get one…. Especially as a second commuter car. That’s the ticket for sure 👍

JDKRXW

Reaction score
After reading these posts, everyone is expecting fuel prices to increase and never come back down?
I'm thinking the opposite.
Everyone is expecting the rates at the charging stations aren't going to go through the roof. And that the electric utility companies aren't going to jack their home rates for EV charging (using smart meters).

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'm thinking the opposite.
Everyone is expecting the rates at the charging stations aren't going to go through the roof. And that the electric utility companies aren't going to jack their home rates for EV charging (using smart meters).
Remember at the end of the pay phone era when Texas based companies were charging unsuspecting callers $8 a minute? That was 20 years ago and $8 was brutal.
Still is.

Sooner or later the same scam is going to hit EV chargers.
We may see price regulation like with natural gas.

BTW:
This morning at Flamingo and Maryland in ‘Vegas chargers hit and internals stripped by metal thieves.
4874B174-9977-4518-8437-5EA6907CBD6D.png

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
CA is headed towards solar on the home with battery back up. In theory a home could run itself without using the grid. And that would include the EVs.

Problem is that it costs 20-40k lol.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife found a few solar powered EV stations @19cents KWH.

Expect road use taxes tacked on charging and high registration costs especially in Cali.

Got my religion for the year at the Rotating lick-her-bar:

FB04ABCE-EB13-45F4-9339-60860AECF12B.jpeg

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Some people are bad at math. No it doesn’t pencil out It’s a push at best. I talked about it before so I won’t do it again. Electricity and electric car cost premiums cost money so it’s not a zero sum game. Higher gas prices have really changed things a bit though.

I also live in PG&E area so my electricity is expensive….. don’t know why….lol

Now I am not hating. I just installed solar on my primary home so it would make a lot of sense of get a Tesla cuz I would charge for cheap (free depending on how you look at it) Having said that I still won’t buy…

The model 3 is the way to go though if you get one…. Especially as a second commuter car. That’s the ticket for sure 👍
Waiting list was 16 months last we checked and 2 severe price hikes already this year. They are brutally expensive.
The laptop dashboard - not for us.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Not me. It’ll come down eventually.
Still expensive.

Drive an EV especially a dual motor with 560 lb torque instantly. 0-60 3.5 sec.
A whole different world of driving.

Free Charging at home and cheap on the road is just a bonus.

Most hotels and motels offer free “destination charging.”
We carry a Tesla to SAE adaptor for added convince.

1Listing_1110x1110.jpg

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
Referring to it as an M3 and then mentioning gas savings had me confused lol. My old M3 got 12mpg but it was glorious. The Teslas are all badass. I'd go for as much range as possible if you like to drive 80+ on the highway. The sustained air resistance eats batteries way more than acceleration runs

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Referring to it as an M3 and then mentioning gas savings had me confused lol. My old M3 got 12mpg but it was glorious. The Teslas are all badass. I'd go for as much range as possible if you like to drive 80+ on the highway. The sustained air resistance eats batteries way more than acceleration runs

Yup this is something that most don’t realize. It’s the opposite of what we are used to. Around town range is great it’s sustained high way speeds that suck the batteries down.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wife drives on economy mode and when it reads her driver 1 key then 301 mile range appears on the dash with a full charge.

When the car reads my driver 2 key it’s about 258 miles.
Hot and cold weather and driving style factor in big with range.

Always deduct 20% when planing charge stops.

Charges easily off the HF 3500 btw.
CA0B9BA6-F2C7-4896-8F03-89AFBDAAF143.jpeg
E4B7CE13-4EA8-47B7-BEF7-818EE8C467D1.jpeg