WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tesla owners?

DWC

Reaction score
Michelin PSS are the worst tires for the money ever conceived by man. Just don’t get those :)
I’ll have to check what Steph is running. I know we already bought 2. Went away from the run flats. Last time i peaked at them she’s getting close to 2 more. The older we get the more she drives like me at 20 and i drive like my grandparents at 80. Whatever we get her will need some serious traction

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Ouch, how many miles are you getting out of a set? Noticed my wife’s were wearing a bit
We have 39,000 miles in almost three years on the original set on our Model 3 LR.

Reactions: DWC

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I got about 26k out of the original set. Trying out the Continental DWS06+ now that I live in a place with weather.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have 31k on my original set, I keep them rotated every 5k miles.
What’s this rotate you speak of?

The Bimmer the Tesla replaced had staggered wheels so there was no rotating. I guess I kind of forgot about the rotation recommendation.
All good so far. Maybe I should check the inner edge before they go POP. 😆

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
And now we’re on to the PSS argument. To update, have a M3 (suck it Bimmer Fanboys) RWD LFP on order. And ordered a Cadillac Lyric on order for the misses, might be able to squeeze in a 23, but likely a 24. RWD.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
And now we’re on to the PSS argument. To update, have a M3 (suck it Bimmer Fanboys) RWD LFP on order. And ordered a Cadillac Lyric on order for the misses, might be able to squeeze in a 23, but likely a 24. RWD.

There is no argument, go ahead and buy them. The PSS are the crappiest tires you can buy for the money. They are good for a VW golf. Anything that has some power, hard pass.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I’m not knocking EV‘s, I look forward to the day when you can pull in and charge nearly as fast as a gasoline powered vehicle, I just don’t know if we’ll get there in my lifetime.😂
13 minutes for 20% to 100% charge at the Supercharging stations. The new solid state batteries being introduced are even faster and work fine in all climate conditions and may last the lifetime of the vehicle. Easily recycled when/if they eventually puke.

Everyone will be thinking different when they roll past the Travel Center pull-thru charging stations along the 10, 40, 15, 80 and see Pick ups with toy haulers and boats charging.
Pick ups with 2000 lbs of instant torque and 1600 HP charging in 20 minutes and for $80. Towing those pigs 0-60 in 15 to 20 seconds at any elevation, any grade.

It may very well happen in our life times. Test drive a Ford F150 Lightning. An eye opener of what's to come soon. Imagine what the F450 E truck will be like.

eoKbsjh.jpg

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
13 minutes for 20% to 100% charge at the Supercharging stations. The new solid state batteries being introduced are even faster and work fine in all climate conditions and may last the lifetime of the vehicle. Easily recycled when/if they eventually puke.

Everyone will be thinking different when they roll past the Travel Center pull-thru charging stations along the 10, 40, 15, 80 and see Pick ups with toy haulers and boats charging.
Pick ups with 2000 lbs of instant torque and 1600 HP charging in 20 minutes and for $80. Towing those pigs 0-60 in 15 to 20 seconds at any elevation, any grade.

It may very well happen in our life times. Test drive a Ford F150 Lightning. An eye opener of what's to come soon. Imagine what the F450 E truck will be like.

eoKbsjh.jpg

I got in a rather heated discussion with Tesla fanboy not long ago about charging times, range and cross country travel. I've been known to put down some serious driving hours and while recharge times are better, having to stop for 20 minutes every couple hundred miles isn't conducive to long range driving.

I've watched the YouTube channels where people drive their EV cross country and they never have to wait for a charging station. Wait until 10% of the vehicles on the road are EV. You'll be queued up for a charger more often then not. Adding more minutes.

He also was adamant that charging.to 100% on then road never happens. He uses his app to find the next charger 180-200 miles along and gets enough to get there. Sure, he reduces the amount of time on the cord,.but now he is stopping an hour earlier. Long range is the ultimate speed mod.

So we aren't there yet. Nickel batteries are showing promise but aren't nearly ready for prime time. I honestly think that the PHEVs running on hydrogen will be the ultimate answer to the hydrocarbon question, at least for any sort of practical long range travel. I fear though that this will be a VHS/Beta situation where the superior technology gets beaten by better marketing.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I got in a rather heated discussion with Tesla fanboy not long ago about charging times, range and cross country travel. I've been known to put down some serious driving hours and while recharge times are better, having to stop for 20 minutes every couple hundred miles isn't conducive to long range driving.

I've watched the YouTube channels where people drive their EV cross country and they never have to wait for a charging station. Wait until 10% of the vehicles on the road are EV. You'll be queued up for a charger more often then not. Adding more minutes.

He also was adamant that charging.to 100% on then road never happens. He uses his app to find the next charger 180-200 miles along and gets enough to get there. Sure, he reduces the amount of time on the cord,.but now he is stopping an hour earlier. Long range is the ultimate speed mod.

So we aren't there yet. Nickel batteries are showing promise but aren't nearly ready for prime time. I honestly think that the PHEVs running on hydrogen will be the ultimate answer to the hydrocarbon question, at least for any sort of practical long range travel. I fear though that this will be a VHS/Beta situation where the superior technology gets beaten by better marketing.
What we're hearing is it's the super-charging that is cooking and spoiling a few of the Teslas batteries thus causing less range over a long time.

Most owners over 100K miles aren't experiencing it goes the tales.

Only super-charge when time is important is what we're hearing. Replacing all the Teslas batteries when range diminishes is usually not necessary.

Just a couple of the 516 cells on average are usually cooked and they can be replaced separately at 1/10 the cost.

It's created an aftermarket cottage niche' industry.

The Kia owners manual suggest only supercharge when you have to but unlike Tesla normal charging a Kia to 100% is encouraged.

Tesla says 80%.

Still look at gas and fuel prices as we pass gas stations. Still unique to simply plug the car in at home and it's charged by solar. Wife drives out to our desert campsite and plugs into the Toy Hauler.
A new era is upon us.

On the powerwall alone we ran the house AC most the night, did a load of laundry, wife charged the car up about 30% to full and the RV plugged-in. Power wall still has a lot left at dawn.

95% self-powered indicated until the session ends and then it’ll read 100% self-powered:

5303CD04-54A1-4309-A2B4-DEDE182485A1.png

Last edited:

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

It still cost in actual dollars and power more to generate hydrogen than what you get out of it. Hydrogen really is not feasible.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There isn’t a battery that likes being charged at a higher rate. “Supercharging” takes life off the cells.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Bowtie- Have 10 years of road trip and local experience by swapping vehicles with owners.
Ive road tripped Model S P85D and 100, model 3, 3 performance, Y basic and LR dual motor, volt, bolt and locally driven a leaf around.

The (tesla) cars are bitchin and they road trip fine as long as you combine your stops.

I found on my main 500 mile trip it added one more stop than I would otherwise take for about 15 min.
More than acceptable for all the time saved during the course of the year with the weekly local fill ups that people never actually calculate. This is the area where you really save.

People completely bullshit about how they drive pretending they never stop to eat, piss, grab a cup of joe, and that every fuel is is like a nascar pit stop - anyone that ever traveled with their wife or family knows this isnt how it works.

What poeple like to do is compare running cost to a gas penalty box and ignore the fact that they are boring dogs that just run cheap. Compare running cost to a vehicle with like performance and you'll save a ton. These things perform like they have big blocks in them.

Yes gasoline price goes up and down. You can make electricity at your house if you want, but you cant refine your own fuel.

RDP is not the place to learn about them. Most of these guys have absolutely zero experience with electrics and cant give anything other than opinion which is often misinformed by a cousins friends uncle who knew somebody, or they tell tales that don't check out when you look at the route on any third party planner.

If you want to plan out trips check out "a better route planner".
They have a great algorithm thats very accurate allowing your to adjust temp, weight, car type, driving speed and see where you will be stopping and for how long.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

The thing is, when you first plug the Tesla in to a Supercharger it throws a shit ton of current to the batteries, up to 1000 miles per hour charging speed... Then after several minutes it tapers off, then the closer it gets to being fully charged it becomes a trickle charge.. They do this to protect the battery. So, most folks don't sit there as the car is being trickle charged for the last 20 mins or so, so I agree with the guy, it is more practical to leave while the car is let's say 80% charged and get going. I think that 30 mins is the sweet spot for Supercharging, anything more or less becomes less practical. It's kind of a game that you play..

You mentioned he finds Superchargers on the app. Not necessary, it's all on the cars screen, all the Supercharges in the area and how many chargers are available real time. Once you find a Supercharger that makes sense to your route you select it and it will precondition the battery to be charged by the time you get there.

The car has an energy graph on the screen, on road trips I drive with that on all the time and it's pretty accurate. It tells you exactly how much range you have and when you will run out, on road trips I'm on AutoPilot and I'll use the thumbwheel to adjust the speed according to the energy graph. Since speed kills EV's quickly, I'll drive as fast as I can making sure I will make the next Supercharger. If the energy graph tells me I'll have 20% range with I get to the next Supercharger I'll speed up until it says 10%.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Bowtie- Have 10 years of road trip and local experience by swapping vehicles with owners.
Ive road tripped Model S P85D and 100, model 3, 3 performance, Y basic and LR dual motor, volt, bolt and locally driven a leaf around.

The (tesla) cars are bitchin and they road trip fine as long as you combine your stops.

I found on my main 500 mile trip it added one more stop than I would otherwise take for about 15 min.
More than acceptable for all the time saved during the course of the year with the weekly local fill ups that people never actually calculate. This is the area where you really save.

People completely bullshit about how they drive pretending they never stop to eat, piss, grab a cup of joe, and that every fuel is is like a nascar pit stop - anyone that ever traveled with their wife or family knows this isnt how it works.

What poeple like to do is compare running cost to a gas penalty box and ignore the fact that they are boring dogs that just run cheap. Compare running cost to a vehicle with like performance and you'll save a ton. These things perform like they have big blocks in them.

Yes gasoline price goes up and down. You can make electricity at your house if you want, but you cant refine your own fuel.

RDP is not the place to learn about them. Most of these guys have absolutely zero experience with electrics and cant give anything other than opinion which is often misinformed by a cousins friends uncle who knew somebody, or they tell tales that don't check out when you look at the route on any third party planner.

They have a great algorithm thats very accurate allowing your to adjust temp, weight, car type, driving speed and see where you will be stopping and for how long.
I’ve been reading your Tesla posts for awhile. I’ve been doing my research as well. I think the LFP Standard Range fits our needs well, but I’ve been reading about battery limitations on other models as well.

This will be a commuter car for us, charge 30-50% at home everyday or two. I like the battery life at those charge levels.

Anyway, I realize there are cheaper options available. I feel the M3 (suck it Bimmer fanboys) is the best option available to have a truly good car for the money. I’m likely 4-12 months out. If I can save enough to upgrade to a dual motor, or better yet, performance, I likely will.

Installing the wall charger next week.

I don’t plan on using the Tesla for long range travel- usually it’s the Ram with the toyhauler. But I’ve learned enough that I’m comfortable knowing I can do longer trips while supercharging.

I’m well versed on LFP vs NCA. The LFP seems preferable. And I’ll likely end up in a RWD LFP. But ideally I’d love to to get into a M3P. (Again, suck it Bimmer fanboys in a Tesla thread)

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I am the weirdo who likes to do 20+ hours a trip with minimal stops. As in, when I stop to get fuel, you better be back in the car before it’s full. I’ve done 30+ 20+ hour one way trips across the country. And 10+ 24+ hour trips. With me as the primary driver. But as I get older I realize that’s not really realistic anymore.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I love to pull into a roadside rest, hopefully slide into a spot with a view of the desert, start the generator, turn on the AC, walk the dog, fix a meal, take a hot shower, put up the sat dish & a movie, slip into the sheets and sleep off the road fatigue.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I love to pull into a roadside rest, hopefully slide into a spot with a view of the desert, start the generator, turn on the AC, walk the dog, fix a meal, take a hot shower, put up the sat dish & a movie, slip into the sheets and sleep off the road fatigue.
This is the way I hope to do my trip next week. Time will tell.

DWC

Reaction score
Question for the other Tesla owners on here. On an average trip to Havasu, how much longer does the trip take? Round trip, not one stop.
Best case scenario it’s at least an hour in the wife’s Model S 100.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Question for the other Tesla owners on here. On an average trip to Havasu, how much longer does the trip take? Round trip, not one stop.
TM3LR here, from my house in Ventura County it would require one stop in Barstow for about 45 mins, the Tesla website says 35 mins but I'll stay 10 mins longer just so I have enough time to go to Del Taco.. So yeah, add 45 mins to my drive time. For folks on RDP that don't have time to put their shopping carts back this would be no bueno.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I am the weirdo who likes to do 20+ hours a trip with minimal stops. As in, when I stop to get fuel, you better be back in the car before it’s full. I’ve done 30+ 20+ hour one way trips across the country. And 10+ 24+ hour trips. With me as the primary driver. But as I get older I realize that’s not really realistic anymore.

I'm the same way, and my family hates riding in the car so we iron-butt it to get to where we are going. Hopefully battery and motor technology get to the point that 500 mile range is a consist number. Until then I'll keep something with a RICE engine for our trips.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
My (now unfortunately ex) girlfriend has a Model 3 dual motor. She didn't have to buy it though as her company provides it for her and pays for charging.

I'm a car guy and have had some fast cars and the Tesla is just a blast to drive. You can floor it every time you take off with no down side. It is fairly comfortable although I would not call it a luxury vehicle.

The range is the biggest draw back for me. I am making regular trips to Arizona (about once a month) and am looking for a nice car to do so with. I'd love to do it in a Tesla but at 750 miles one way, it ain't going to happen. I couldn't even make it to Vegas on one charge.

Also, even at $6/gallon, it would take me a long time to make up the $60K cost of a new Tesla. I can buy a decent used car that gets 30 MPG (can probably actually get something that gets 35 to 40) for $10K. A 1500 mile round trip will burn 50 gallons and at $6 is $300 per trip. A new Tesla is $60K (not counting tax, reg, insurance, etc) so subtract my $10K car = $50K divided by $300 is 166 trips. 12 trips a year = 13 years. My mom is 93. I don't think she is going to live 13 more years.

Even if I factor in driving to town or other trips, it still doesn't pencil out. Now if I could buy one for $30K or under I might consider it but I would still have the range issue. If someone made one like my Jeep Grand Cherokee that had a range of 500 miles that sold for $45 to $50K I might consider that as it would serve multiple purposes. dairy run around vehicle, road trip car, off roading, etc. I don't thin that will happen for some time though.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The thing is, when you first plug the Tesla in to a Supercharger it throws a shit ton of current to the batteries, up to 1000 miles per hour charging speed... Then after several minutes it tapers off, then the closer it gets to being fully charged it becomes a trickle charge.. They do this to protect the battery. So, most folks don't sit there as the car is being trickle charged for the last 20 mins or so, so I agree with the guy, it is more practical to leave while the car is let's say 80% charged and get going. I think that 30 mins is the sweet spot for Supercharging, anything more or less becomes less practical. It's kind of a game that you play..

Lithium batteries have very low internal resistance, but the resistance increases as the battery increases it’s nominal voltage. That’s why the charge slows down as you try to put the final 20% of charge. Sure its “protection” to drop from a bulk charge v to a lower voltage but it’s nothing close to a “trickle” like a lead acid battery. The protection is not on the battery, it’s protect all the wires and equipment on the charger as the heat increases against the battery resistance.

Your phone has a lithium battery and a totally dumb charger with no variable charge profile. That’s why when it’s battery is low it seems to charge up real fast to 30-50% then it takes longer…. You are not imagining that, it real.

If you are in a hurry, the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze for the final 20% of charge on the road. It purely physiological to make you feel better about the state of charge. The battery loves the sweet spot of lower resistance in the 20-80% state of charge.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

C’mon you know you have to stop to eat and pee for 10% of your travel time.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

C’mon you know you have to stop to eat and pee for 10% of your travel time.

Cmon now, you know no one ever stops for any reason ever. Lets compute 2 stops for the tesla and a road trip with hitler for the gas car with zero stops.

The S100 is a slower charging car than the model 3 on a road trip, and about .001% of inmates will pop for that car so Ill use the model 3 long range metrics.

Heres the trip computed from my old place in the heart of the city.

Assume no stop vs stopping twice for 18 minutes each way - round it up to 30, and call it an hour longer than a zero stop trip round trip in a gas car.

Round trip is 36$ in the tesla, and in a car getting 40 MPG (which few here drive- its probably closer to 25) for 624 miles it will be 93$ at 6 a gallon.

Of course you have to fuel the gas car up when you get to town at each end, but that time never gets added to the comparison as though it doesn't exist.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.19.23 AM.png

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Cmon now, you no one ever stops for any reason ever. Lets compute 2 stops for the tesla and a road trip with hitler for the gas car with zero stops.

The S100 is a slower charging car than the model 3 on a road trip, and about .001% of inmates will pop for that car so Ill use the model 3 long range metrics.

Heres the trip computed from my old place in the heart of the city.

Assume no stop vs stopping twice for 18 minutes each way - round it up to 30, and call it an hour longer than a zero stop trip round trip in a gas car.

Round trip is 36$ in the tesla, and in a car getting 40 MPG for 624 miles it will be 93$ at 6 a gallon.

Of course you have to fuel the gas car up when you get to town at each end, but that time never gets added to the comparison as though it doesn't exist.

View attachment 1133877

The fuel up takes 5 mins and I can do it in 100 places on the route whenever I want to

It takes a lot of trips to Havasu to make up that $30k delta in up front costs :), and I must use the “M3” because they charge faster. And because no one buys an S we will dismiss they are slower to charge. The gyrations to justify these things as viable road trip cars continue:).

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
The gasoline forever crowd are the ones who should really be pissed at the existing infrastructure. You have a 1.5 inch filler neck with the potential of refilling at 10 times the speed, but are limited to a 1/2 inch bottleneck and pump configurations that are way to conservative in GPM delivery. You could easily fill the tank in 30 seconds if they would just do it…

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Just curious on what the solution is to this? Plug in Hybrids seem the best option to me, but I'm not an EV guy as of yet?

The nav system in a Tesla shows the superchargers In the area and available chargers. With the expansion of their network rarely will you see this…..unless you’re in Irvine. That one is always a Shit show.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The fuel up takes 5 mins and I can do it in 100 places on the route whenever I want to

It takes a lot of trips to Havasu to make up that $30k delta in up front costs :), and I must use the “M3” because they charge faster. And because no one buys an S we will dismiss they are slower to charge. The gyrations to justify these things as viable road trip cars continue:).

But you aren't stopping - remember? (you can't have this all ways - no one can )

So your fuel time will look like this -

Leave you house on either end to drive to the gas -gas up- then drive back to the house - thats going to be 15 minutes minimum at each end so the hour delta just turned into half an hour in the real world. 15 minutes a side - big whoop.

5 min fuel stop - BS
You are talking about pump time, and comparing pump time the difference is now a grand total of 8 minutes - 10 vs 18.
No fuel stop is 5 minutes especially if you take a piss - by the time I walk back to the car from the stall the pump has shut off

Buying a new car to save money rarely to never pencils out. I never recommended that.
I buy a new rig when the old ones not worth it to fix and the mileage is what it is.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
But you aren't stopping - remember? (you can't have this all ways - no one can )

So your fuel time will look like this -

Leave you house on either end to drive to the gas then drive back to the house - thats going to be 15 minutes minimum at each end so the hour delta just turned into half an hour in the real world.

5 min fuel stop - BS
You are talking about pump time, and comparing pump time the difference is now a grand total of 8 minutes - 10 vs 18.
No fuel stop is 5 minutes especially if you take a piss - by the time I walk back to the car from the stall the pump has shut off

Buying a new car to save money rarely to never pencils out. I never recommended that.
I dont buy a car to " save gas money" that never pencils out.
I buy a new rig when the old ones not worth it to fix and the mileage is what it is.

Well I don’t usually need to stop for fuel, I was going with your “everyone must stop somewhere because they suffer from incontinence” theory. :) if I did stop for fuel it’s a hell of a lot faster to hit the gas station at the bottom of an off ramp.. yes 5-7 mins. “Pump time” would be the only thing that matters anyway as you have to drive further to and wait longer to charge on the road. I may choose to go to Costco for gas, I don’t have to.

This last trip for example I tried it yore way in the truck. I gassed up when I left home. 2 mins of gas (5 gallons) got me to Searchlight. Another 5 gallons in Searchlight got me to Havasu where I filled up the tank. We did grab a bite to eat in Searchlight when we were hungry. No electric car charger there.

Again, I think we agree no one “saved” money on transportation with a $60k electric car. And road tripping said car is not yet more flexible or convenient than an ICE variant. I am very happy you enjoy the car. If you were going to spend $60k anyway, yea you are saving some gas money I agree.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Well I don’t usually need to stop for fuel, I was going with your “everyone must stop somewhere because they suffer from incontinence” theory. :) if I did stop for fuel it’s a hell of a lot faster to hit the gas station at the bottom of an off ramp.. yes 5-7 mins. “Pump time” would be the only thing that matters anyway as you have to drive further to and wait longer to charge on the road. I may choose to go to Costco for gas, I don’t have to.

This last trip for example I tried it yore way in the truck. I gassed up when I left home. 2 mins of gas (5 gallons) got me to Searchlight. Another 5 gallons in Searchlight got me to Havasu where I filled up the tank. We did grab a bite to eat in Searchlight when we were hungry. No electric car charger there.

Again, I think we agree no one “saved” money on transportation with a $60k electric car. And road tripping said car is not yet more flexible or convenient than an ICE variant. I am very happy you enjoy the car. If you were going to spend $60k anyway, yea you are saving some gas money I agree.

So on this trip you stopped twice

1. once to eat and gas - half hour?
2. Then again when you got to town. 5 min if on route, 15 if dedicated trip.

The overall time to do that wouldnt be much different than the two stop route I plotted above which has a grand total of 18 minutes of pump time.

I do not own one of these cars- yet, I get to trade them for use of my truck(s).

Use of them has shown me that when comparing convenience Its only slightly less convenient on a road trip, and sometimes not at all, but much more convenient at all other times as well as flexible being able to fill up at home on the grid or on my 20KW nat gas genset in the times where a power outage kills all the gas stations around me.

What % of your miles are road trips and what % in town?

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The nav system in a Tesla shows the superchargers In the area and available chargers. With the expansion of their network rarely will you see this…..unless you’re in Irvine. That one is always a Shit show.

The teslas are the only cars Id put my 80YR old mom and dad in at this stage - they make it so easy its ridiculous.

The other stuff everyone else uses is laughably complex and hard to do. You can see journalists struggling with it all the time and the other guys on-board routing to these chargers is version .08 - really bad.

Ive never had a first time success at an electrify america outlet, and those stations are almost always further away away than the superchargers at places like big box store parking garages wal-mart etcetera

I love my gasoline more than most guys here. Electrons and liquid fuel each have their advantages.

Last edited:

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Not that I need the charging between Barstow and Needles (or visc versa) there does seem to be a need for Tesla Superchargers in Ludlow. I wonder if Tesla is eyeing this at all? The 40 is a main artery across the country so I would think so.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So on this trip you stopped twice

1. once to eat and gas - half hour?
2. Then again when you got to town. 5 min if on route, 15 if dedicated trip.

The overall time to do that wouldnt be much different than the two stop route I plotted above which has a grand total of 18 minutes of pump time.

I do not own one of these cars- yet, I get to trade them for use of my truck(s).

Use of them has shown me that when comparing convenience Its only slightly less convenient on a road trip, and sometimes not at all, but much more convenient at all other times as well as flexible being able to fill up at home on the grid or on my 20KW nat gas genset in the times where a power outage kills all the gas stations around me.

What % of your miles are road trips and what % in town?

In that truck 90% of my miles are road trips.

The overall time would been have been way different on that trip as there is nowhere to charge in Searchlight, and it was lunchtime in when I got there. I would have had to stop in Mesquite or Vegas to charge up, both of which were before lunchtime.

That is my entire point. I have to make extra stops to complete my journey, and/or make other compromises. Outside of established routes like So Cal to Vegas, the holes in the charging infrastructure are quite blatant.

I’m all about compromises if it is cheaper, but it is not cheaper. At best it is a wash. Even the truck I’m driving was only $39k. I’d have to do the math but I am not sure I have put $20k in fuel in the thing. In 3 years (I may be close though).

Even still I’d have to maintain another vehicle in town to launch my boat if I bought a $60k electric car to save a few hundred a month on gas.

Again all I’m saying is that they suck for road trips and any Tesla is not cheap transportation. That is it. I have nothing against them.You are trading spending on gas for spending more on payments.

Enen

Reaction score
OP. I’ve been daily driving a Model S Plaid for the last year. Im in North Peoria and drive the 303 daily. Happy to take you for a ride and share the nuances of electric car ownership.

brgrcru

Reaction score
How many tanks of gas will 60k get you ?

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score

The overall time would been have been way different on that trip as there is nowhere to charge in Searchlight, and it was lunchtime in when I got there. I would have had to stop in Mesquite or Vegas to charge up, both of which were before lunchtime.

That is my entire point. I have to make extra stops to complete my journey, and/or make other compromises. Outside of established routes like So Cal to Vegas, the holes in the charging infrastructure are quite blatant.

I’m all about compromises if it is cheaper, but it is not cheaper. At best it is a wash. Even the truck I’m driving was only $39k. I’d have to do the math but I am not sure I have put $20k in fuel in the thing. In 3 years (I may be close though).

Even still I’d have to maintain another vehicle in town to launch my boat if I bought a $60k electric car to save a few hundred a month on gas.

Again all I’m saying is that they suck for road trips and any Tesla is not cheap transportation. That is it. I have nothing against them.You are trading spending on gas for spending more on payments.
What are these payments you speak of? :D

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
OP. I’ve been daily driving a Model S Plaid for the last year. Im in North Peoria and drive the 303 daily. Happy to take you for a ride and share the nuances of electric car ownership.
I might take you up on that, if for no reason other than to experience the acceleration of the plaid. Lol. Hoping to save enough to upgrade to the M3 performance. Have the wall charger getting installed next week. Shoot me a PM with your number if you don’t mind.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Lets plot the trip and see how bad it would be. What were the destinations?

No electric is replacement for an ICE truck for anything past half a tanks range.

IF you are going to buy a premium car, looking at an electric is a question of where do you want to make your compromises on long trips or every day.
Ive never claimed teslas are "cheap transportation", but they often are cheaper to drive from a fuel cost perspective.

They dont actually suck for roadtrips (at least teslas dont), but they do force some compromise. After decade of trying it - its pretty livable.
You can also run out of gas and find yourself compromised with a gas auto - people run out of fuel every day with thousands of gas stations everywhere.

For a daily driver in town there is absolutely no comparison as to which is more convenient and saves more time.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
There isn’t a battery that likes being charged at a higher rate. “Supercharging” takes life off the cells.
Tesla is taking it up a few notches from the Superchargers for the towing segment.
Tesla Mega Chargers for the pull-thru truck & RV travelstops:

Modesto-Megacharger-678x381.jpg

tessa-1080x675.jpg

Nikola-Semi-Sleeper-1024x536.png

Semi_Front_Profile.jpg

Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well 1 week in TX and my windshield is fucked. Make sure you get a cheap deductible on the glass. $1,300+ and you can only get it replaced by Tesla. Good luck on an immediate appointment too.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Well 1 week in TX and my windshield is fucked. Make sure you get a cheap deductible on the glass. $1,300+ and you can only get it replaced by Tesla. Good luck on an immediate appointment too.
Is that how much they charge? I have an appointment at my local SC in Vallejo next Saturday for a windshield. I guess I’ll find out. 😳

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Is that how much they charge? I have an appointment at my local SC in Vallejo next Saturday for a windshield. I guess I’ll find out. 😳
Unfortunately, yes… I know I’m changing my deductible on that ASAP as this won’t be the last time.

Reactions: TPC

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes… I know I’m changing my deductible on that ASAP as this won’t be the last time.
My deductible is 1000 so not a huge difference.
Just got glass replaced on the GLC300. Almost 700.

The 06 bimmer I got three windshield from same dude for 250 a piece. Granted that was probably between 2012-2018.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

So, you don’t own a Tesla, you don’t have much experience with them but you think you why people buy them. Gotcha…