Tesla Pick-up unveiling

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
76991427_10157014640173721_1916612426942382080_n.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
With the caveat as in " what reservations are worth"
I'm pretty amazed they have over 200K reservation for the cybertruck already.
Compare to the ford Mach-E at like 15K 5 days ago...

Its polarizing as hell.

Half my buddies think its badass and want one - the other half wouldn't take it if you gave it to them for free.

UD

78Southwind

Reaction score
I think a lot of the hardcore enthusiast like the design just because it's Elon/Tesla where the others are looking at the utility vs cost. I am not a big fan of it's current look (I like watching Blade Runner but I don't want to live it) but I am sure it will grow on me a little over the years. I think the simple flat panel / A-frame look has a lot to play in the cost and durability of the Cybertruck. Elon has said that currently, the Tesla vehicles are built to last a million miles while the batteries are built to last 300,000 miles. He also said that by 2020 the batteries would be built to last a million miles. We have all seen Elon miss his own deadlines but even if the public has to wait until 2021 for the trucks and batteries to be built to last a million miles I think this will put somewhat of a hurt on the big three and challenge the diesel market.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
For the cars - or a truck not towing..

With a 300 mile car/rig - The current supercharger charge rate is actually good enough to make road trips work in most all places. @ 1000 MPH or 249 Miles in 15 minutes you aren't doing much waiting on the truck after a round of snacks and a trip for 4 to the shitter if at all.

It's true that the gen 1 stuff had the fanboys lying to themselves and other laughably praising multi hour stops as a "refreshing breaks" lol.
BS it took too long to make real road trips viable for lots of travel.

Its not that way anymore.

Its also true that detractors of the cars refuse to acknowledge the massive improvements and unrealistically describe their own journeys as non stop 7 and 8 hour trips with a full car of 5 people 3 people across the back going 85MPH the entire way not stopping for a single meal or piss stop while draining the tank to fumes before pulling off for a nascar style single 15 minute pit.
(see "road trips with Hitler").

The car model works especially when you have origination and destination charging you can even skip the fill up prior and after journey saving 2 stops detractors also never acknowledge

Truck is a bit different - the range under tow blows half or less the unladen number - same for gas vehicle which is what the 34 gallon tank on the eco boost and a few others is for.

Current Superchargers aren't designed for pull through so it really screws a guy with a towable.

As much as Im not a fan of the cybertruck, and think Elon is a brilliant smart ass. (thats starting to show signs of improvement - finally)

People equal the weed to everything they dont like about the guy and some of the memes are pretty funny - but one could make another equation entirely - and connect these two -

105439429-1536353186931screen-shot-2018-09-07-at-4.45.51-pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.54.23 AM.png

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I think a lot of the hardcore enthusiast like the design just because it's Elon/Tesla where the others are looking at the utility vs cost. I am not a big fan of it's current look (I like watching Blade Runner but I don't want to live it) but I am sure it will grow on me a little over the years. I think the simple flat panel / A-frame look has a lot to play in the cost and durability of the Cybertruck. Elon has said that currently, the Tesla vehicles are built to last a million miles while the batteries are built to last 300,000 miles. He also said that by 2020 the batteries would be built to last a million miles. We have all seen Elon miss his own deadlines but even if the public has to wait until 2021 for the trucks and batteries to be built to last a million miles I think this will put somewhat of a hurt on the big three and challenge the diesel market.
Bullshit on the longevity claims. Ain't no way those battery packs are lasting 300k miles.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

riverroyal

Reaction score
Did the other Tesla’s look exactly like the debut version? Maybe it changes by release date.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Bullshit on the longevity claims. Ain't no way those battery packs are lasting 300k miles.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I hear ya. I did read an article where a Model X had 300,000 miles on it's original battery and a Model S had 400,000 miles on the car but it needed a new battery around 200,000 miles then again over 300,000. However, in defense of Tesla they were supercharging the car multiple times a day to around 100% which is not good for the battery. I also read of a Volt with 400,000 miles on it but it's kind of a different deal with the Volt being a hybrid plug-in-electric. Here's an article I read about the million mile battery. https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-may-soon-have-a-battery-that-can-last-a-million-miles/#:~:targetText=Elon Musk promised Tesla would,what drivers can expect today.&targetText=Led by physicist Jeff Dahn,lithium-ion battery previously reported.

BTW...here is the company with the high mileage Teslas

A nice little video on the 1,000,000 battery

A little different view on the 1,000,000 mile battery

Last edited:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
View attachment 819319 It will be interesting to see if these ever catch on, kind of pricey to me.https://bollingermotors.com/

When my wife was doing the moto-photog gig we went back to NYC as guests of Bollinger for the initial public unveiling. The engineers are mostly young and were hungry to go racing to prove their designs. Height is variable4x4,a very Spartan interior,the designed to carry big loads, design really was tilted more to ranch and work off road than on. Since that time purchase price has risen dramatically from $65k.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Google cyber truck spotted.
Theres footage of it around LA. Holy crap its bad

riverroyal

Reaction score
Yeah. Type into google. Not the company google has anything to due with it

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Like it or hate it, if the production tri-motor actually delivers something close to a 14k lb towing capacity, 0-60 in 3 seconds and a 500 mile range, I’m likely in. I’m thinking that it could be a viable boat towing option between So. Cal and Havasu non stop.

There are over a million reservations now. I paid my $100 less than 4 days after it opened and am 138,000 plus in line. If you believe the forecast, I’m still almost 2 years out.

RN Found: 112897541 RN Date: 11/23/2019 11:00:00 AM PST
RN Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ RN Count: 1
RN Trim: Tri Motor
Errors:
Msg from Admin:
Msg to Admin: undefined
Est Position: 138,075
Est Position for Trim: 40,387
Est Delivery Month: 7/10/2023

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Like it or hate it, if the production tri-motor actually delivers something close to a 14k lb towing capacity, 0-60 in 3 seconds and a 500 mile range, I’m likely in. I’m thinking that it could be a viable boat towing option between So. Cal and Havasu non stop.

There are over a million reservations now. I paid my $100 less than 4 days after it opened and am 138,000 plus in line. If you believe the forecast, I’m still almost 2 years out.

Errors:
Msg from Admin:

I don't believe it will still have that 500mile range while towing anything substantial. Just like any other vehicle loses MPGs while towing, an electric vehicle will loose efficiency while towing as well.

You ever run a hole saw on a cordless drill? The battery dies a whole hell of a lot faster than when you're playing with 1/4" drill bit

Small boats from the driveway to the launch ramp a couple miles away, sure. 250+ miles to Havasu up grades and through mountain passes, ya I don't think so....

Nevermind the fact that I would never drive my 375V electric car anywhere near a launch ramp no matter how "safe" they told me it was. FUCK THAT.

Flatsix66

Reaction score

Errors:
Msg from Admin:
How do you find that information? I am RN112756140, ordered during the live event.

Flatsix66

Reaction score

Errors:
Msg from Admin:
Ok, I think I found the place.
1634407581553.png

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
I have a few clients in the San Francisco Bay Area are being forced to go electric ( solid waste companies )
There beta testing electric roll off trucks hauling 40 yard bins.
AT full charge there supposed to last 100 to 150 miles.
with a full load of C&D they get less than 30 miles if they need to get on a high way and go 55MPH
the big trucks are far away from ready....

One of the big causes of the port shit show is those short haulers are also being faced with the same issue there looking at some date of conversion from Natural gas to electric I think its some percentage by 2025 and the range and cost scares them....

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I don't believe it will still have that 500mile range while towing anything substantial. Just like any other vehicle loses MPGs while towing, an electric vehicle will loose efficiency while towing as well.

You ever run a hole saw on a cordless drill? The battery dies a whole hell of a lot faster than when you're playing with 1/4" drill bit

Small boats from the driveway to the launch ramp a couple miles away, sure. 250+ miles to Havasu up grades and through mountain passes, ya I don't think so....

Nevermind the fact that I would never drive my 375V electric car anywhere near a launch ramp no matter how "safe" they told me it was. FUCK THAT.
Agreed, there will be a huge loss of range while towing.

I need roughly 250 miles to make it to Havasu. It may be unrealistic to expect that towing but Im going to wait it out and see.

Edit: Tesla drives underwater. Cut to minute 18.

Last edited:

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Can you put up the link for that website?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The beauty of the Ford F150 Lighting is styling and range and power.
The ugly Tesla has the fucking outstanding supercharging stations every fucking place.
The Ford doesn't and ya can't charge it at the Tesla stops but Teslas can charge at any charger.

Walk past the charge America chargers when you're at Walmart or the travel stops and chances are most of them are broken. Or some asshole left his car overnight on the only working charger way past it hitting 100% charged and checked into the motel next door.
Or a Tesla owner is using it and the owner vanished down a black hole some place.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The beauty of the Ford F150 Lighting is styling and range and power.
The ugly Tesla has the fucking outstanding supercharging stations every fucking place.
The Ford doesn't and ya can't charge it at the Tesla stops but Teslas can charge at any charger.

Walk past the charge America chargers when you're at Walmart or the travel stops and chances are most of them are broken. Or some asshole left his car overnight on the only working charger way past it hitting 100% charged and checked into the motel next door.
Or a Tesla owner is using it and the owner vanished down a black hole some place.

This is the big problem I have with electric right now. My work put in free charging and I was going to get a cheap used leaf. However when I asked the parking attendant they said they had like 18 electric cars in queue already and some don’t even get a chance to charge. Apparently people have been stranded at work not being to have the range to get home and not enough stations.