WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tesla Powered EV Marine 350 OB test

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
They still haven't published the range that I'm aware of... boats are unbelievably inefficient forms of transportation unlike cars and the same engine that can get 25mpg in a truck is getting 1-2 in a boat. Id like to know how a tesla motor with an entire cars floorplan worth of batteries that makes maybe a 400mile range would do pushing a boat that has about 5% of the efficiency of a car.

And then there's that whole electricity in water argument....

DWC

Reaction score
They still haven't published the range that I'm aware of... boats are unbelievably inefficient forms of transportation unlike cars and the same engine that can get 25mpg in a truck is getting 1-2 in a boat. Id like to know how a tesla motor with an entire cars floorplan worth of batteries that makes maybe a 400mile range would do pushing a boat that has about 5% of the efficiency of a car.

And then there's that whole electricity in water argument....
I’m with you @Shlbyntro. Would be pretty neat to see someone pull it off but it’s so inefficient that you couldn’t go very far. 1,200 pounds in batteries and 70lbs for the motor could be figured out. The limited range and first short would be a bitch.
On a side note, I’ve had a pontoon hurt my feelings in the past. An electric boat whizzing by could be tough to take.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Considering a Tesla towing loses about 2/3 or its range, I would expect a battery powered boat to have a long run time with very little speed (like a Duffy), or about 20 mins run time at high speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Solar paneled hard top bimini. Launch at Windsor, exhibition run to the channel, soak up sun all day then make another exhibition run back to Windsor. Sounds like a perfect Havasu boat.

PlanB

Reaction score
Sounds similar to a Verado (supercharger whine).

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Considering a Tesla towing loses about 2/3 or its range, I would expect a battery powered boat to have a long run time with very little speed (like a Duffy), or about 20 mins run time at high speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So it shoots it's wad in 20 minutes and now the rest of the day it's a floating dock!!! Sign me up!! Fucking greenie bastards!! I hope the fricking thing pops it's P/S seals and shorts out!1 Long live the DINO!!

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Solar paneled hard top bimini. Launch at Windsor, exhibition run to the channel, soak up sun all day then make another exhibition run back to Windsor. Sounds like a perfect Havasu boat.

If they could run to pirates and back, once through the channel and back to Windsor on a 15 seat deck style boat Id honestly be interested. We have a plug in hybrid x5 that rarely ever hits the gas motor and costs me around 50$ a month to have the wife drive around town.

Taboma

Reaction score
I can't find any pictures of what hull or test platform they're pushing in that video. Judging off the roost, it might be like a pontoon boat ??

Justfishing

Reaction score
Never really see the boat, there was only a glimpse of metal sponsons. Maybe it was just batteries and a motor.

If you look at it even attempting this is stupid. The supply of lithium for batteries can not meet the demand for what the greenies claim we need for other more practical uses.

The average boat gets about 40hours of use a year. Even if you doubke it to 80 hours its not much use. Now you will need substantially more batteries than a car. A car can get 35 mpg on the highwy. Even a nee pickup can get 20 . A boat gets 3-4 mpg or much less. With an electric vehicle you get regenerative braking to add to its range.

What would happen when taking the kids skiing or tubing? What would be the run time. You are going to need at least 20 times the amount of batteries to have a functional boat. Will that be a good use of a scarce resource.

hallett21

Reaction score
Everyone said 4 stroke outboards were never going to compete with two strokes. Give it time.

And I know.... everyone misses a pissed off 2.5 on a potato chip hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Just add a couple of AA batteries and your good for the day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Everyone said 4 stroke outboards were never going to compete with two strokes. Give it time.

And I know.... everyone misses a pissed off 2.5 on a potato chip hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Until the battery tech makes a MASSIVE leap forward, the package won't be able to compete. There is just far too much weight in batteries needed with the current technology.

If they could ever perfect sid state batteries, there may be something there. Also pretty much how I feel about an electric pick-up.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I do these calcs for the work I do. Think of a Tesla, good data is available on EPA website. 75kw hour battery pack is 100 horsepower for an hour. 1100 lbs. Just multiply by how fast you want to go and/or how far you want to go. It really is that simple. Horsepower and energy use is kinda linear (especially for batteries). So If you need 200 bhp for an hour, then you need 2 Tesla type packs: 2200 lbs. If you need 400 for an hour, then you need 4 & 4400 lbs, or of course the same for 200 bhp for 2 hours. You guys all know how much power you have max, and propeller load curves are almost linear as well, so if you have a 400 bhp package rated at 5000 RPM and you cruise at 2500 RPM (I know low, but simple numbers) you're using roughly 200 bhp. These numbers are not perfect, but they're also not off by orders of magnitude. Good enough for RDP... :p

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Will there be charging stations at Fox’s?

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I can't find any pictures of what hull or test platform they're pushing in that video. Judging off the roost, it might be like a pontoon boat ??

2Driver

Reaction score
LOL ever notice most green solutions to save the planet need 2 motors.

Included with every sale.

64EA5C70-8D3E-439E-90AA-5C256E18BF60.jpeg

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I just don't know how it would work out for the pleasure boat community. How would the infrastructure for charging stations be setup? Maybe I'm not visionary enough to see it yet.

HitIt

Reaction score
A Honda 2k gen running at full tilt would take over 2 days to recharge a tesla battery!

Taboma

Reaction score

Awesome, thanks

So either a stripped pontoon or tri-toon. Appears to be the battery pack and controller secured to the deck. Looks like he's moving right along.
Wonder when they'll run a twin or triple at LOTO ? :eek:

EV outboard test mule-2.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
I think they're pretty cool. Like it or not, it's going to be an option in the future.

I've been checking out videos for years, not because I'll ever have on, I just like watching the progress. This first vid is 7 years ago and they ran around for an hour topping out a 50 mph.

Second one is impressive too, big boat. Looks like fun.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I do appreciate the "Captains" patio furniture chair ;)

Those chairs when enlarged appear to be proper pedestals, what appears as patio chairs is a railing behind the driver. I thought that initially as well. :D