WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Testing Cuttin Edge props in Havasu

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I will be in Havasu 3/20 through 3/23 testing some props from Cutting Edge. One is one of their new 4 blade cleavers with a beautiful polish on it that they just started producing and also testing one of their 5 blades. Probably on the water Thursday if anyone is in town and wants to go float for a few hours.

racinjason65

Reaction score
I might be out there next weekend testing a Cutting Edge prop also. What pitch is that clever?

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Well its kind of funny but the way Greg explained it to me it is a 15" but with the progressing cupping it measures out equivalent to a 30". Greg can explain it in more detail. He has only had 2 boats try it out so far and he tried it on his personal V bottom with 900HP as well and said it worked well with a hard bite. I will probably be on the water sometime on Thursday if you want to get together and compare or try different props but I did have to leave $1000 dollar deposit so I am going to be extra careful with these things.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
love mine! i didnt need to test one, he nailed it the first time! He provides great customer service too!

racinjason65

Reaction score
That must be the prop I tried out in Elsinore back in December. It was one of 3 I tried, the 4 blade 29 worked perfect the first time out on my pump gas set up and he just added a little more cup to a 32 for my race gas set up that I need to test out in the next week or two. I haven't talked to Greg since he tried it on his boat, I'm curious how it will work on yours. How much power do you have and what prop do you usually run?

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
That must be the prop I tried out in Elsinore back in December. It was one of 3 I tried, the 4 blade 29 worked perfect the first time out on my pump gas set up and he just added a little more cup to a 32 for my race gas set up that I need to test out in the next week or two. I haven't talked to Greg since he tried it on his boat, I'm curious how it will work on yours. How much power do you have and what prop do you usually run?

I have a Teague 800 and am running a 29x15" Maximus with 5/8 off the diffuser. I run 92mph at 5850RPM with half tanks and all stuff on board. May hit 95 if I run very light load on cool day. I am curious to see what the cleaver will do but am skeptical of the steering torque handling on the high end from the big bite of the prop and low slip ratio. I think the 32 5 blade he gave me might be to big but will see. Greg is a great guy to deal with and very knowledgeable.

racinjason65

Reaction score
I was thinking about ditching work friday to go to Havasu to test my prop, if I do maybe we can meet up. I've got a HTM SR24 with a blown 565 that makes 940 on pump gas and 1050 on good fuel. With the Cutting Edge 29p 4 blade on pump gas my boat runs 116mph at 6050rpm and am still working with the race fuel set up and 32p 4 blade.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I will probably be leaving around noon Friday to go home. Will be on the water thursday testing props if you get there early. Your boat is screaming fast

racinjason65

Reaction score
If I can get out this week I will, but I've been really busy with work. Yeah, I'm anxious to see what my new top speed will be on the good fuel and the new prop. Either way let me know how the props work out.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
keep us posted, with cool water and air temps lower than what they are in the middle of summer you should be tapping the rev limiter right now :D

CuttingEdgePropellers

Reaction score
I will probably be leaving around noon Friday to go home. Will be on the water thursday testing props if you get there early. Your boat is screaming fast

Hey Guys,
If you can both get a test in on Thursday, Please do! Jason, the cleaver actually measures 5 degrees bigger than traditionally pitched propellers. The first one you tried was the equivalent of a 36P. 4 blade propeller. That's why it wouldnt pull on your boat. This one should be about a 30. Good luck and call me with all of the results. Remember guys this 4 blade cleaver is a PROPRIETARY DESIGN that is in prototype testing. I hope all will be spot on but we build to your boats and this is a gereric proto. Call me regarding the characteristics of this prop. Let's not get over crazy here with the results yet OK? Call me first!
My Best,
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
949-701-0900
www.CuttingEdgePropellers.com

racinjason65

Reaction score
I'm heading out first thing in the morning, should be on the water 1030 or 11ish. I hope to catch up with Lavey29

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I'm heading out first thing in the morning, should be on the water 1030 or 11ish. I hope to catch up with Lavey29

I will be on the water around 10am launching from the marina and heading south. will probably do an hour or two with each prop.

Greg I will record all the stats you asked for and report them back to you via phone or when we meet to give the props back. I won't post any results without your permission as I know you are still in the testing phase with the cleaver.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Spoke to Greg a couple days ago regarding this 4 blade cleaver,looking forward to your results.I borrrowed a wheel from you couple years ago to test, Lavey29 thanks:thumbsup