WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Texas bound

Done-it-again

Reaction score

XX14

Reaction score
That's a nice lake and the countryside is beautiful around there.

We like it here. We’re in a neighborhood a little over an acre and a 40’ deep garage. I can hook up the boat and be at a ramp in 20 minutes. I wouldn’t want to live real close to the lake unless I had a good amount of property. Some similar problems with drug users like Havasu and Ozark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

81Sprint

Reaction score
My Family is all in La Grange where i grew up, between Austin and Houston. Great area, if you drive through there on hwy 71 they have the big white house on the bluff overlooking the town, you cant miss it. We were going to spend thanksgiving there but thanks to COVID our plans got cancelled. Can't wait to get back, my daughter loves driving grandpa's old tractors!

La Grange.jpg
Farmall H.jpg
JD.jpg

copterzach

Reaction score
@copterzach do you have anything listed? Not sure where are you located.

I posted a couple that we have. Most everything we mess with is off the market. Keep it quiet and not plaster a lot pictures all over the internet. Not the normal, but we get more and more listings with this method. Pm me if you want me to call you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I posted a couple that we have. Most everything we mess with is off the market. Keep it quiet and not plaster a lot pictures all over the internet. Not the normal, but we get more and more listings with this method. Pm me if you want me to call you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

look at the website. Those are some big pieces of Property that are listed.

We saw the Chula Vista Ranch on the internet. Do you have any info on it that you can send on what is available? We are visiting vintage oaks on Wednesday in New Braunfels. I’ll PM you my email. Thx

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

We saw the Chula Vista Ranch on the internet. Do you have any info on it that you can send on what is available? We are visiting vintage oaks on Wednesday in New Braunfels. I’ll PM you my email. Thx

My oldest daughter does her riding lessons roughly a half mile from there. Nice area, 46 is getting to be traffic heavy but you are close to HEB and NB town. If you guys get hungry afterwards; Dos Rios (straight into town on 46) has great food, Macadoos, and Muck and Fuss are good stops as well and will let you get a feel for the downtown area. We live close to Gruene, worth looking at that as well if you like music etc..live bands most every night in the area. New Braunfels is a country music town for sure...lots of venues, ice houses etc.

hawgty55

Reaction score
We hope to close on 800+ south of Breckenridge TX in a couple weeks.
What are yall going to do with it? Im always looking for new places to hunt. Breckenridge is a couple hours from me. I been looking for property around Graham.

pkbullet

Reaction score
What are yall going to do with it? Im always looking for new places to hunt. Breckenridge is a couple hours from me. I been looking for property around Graham.
It currently has about 120 whitetail on it, nothing crazy 150-190 class. We plan on doing some hunting, but will have to sell or give away some tags. Biologist dictates what has to be cultivated. It is only 40 minutes from our lake place so hope to use it a lot.

hawgty55

Reaction score
It currently has about 120 whitetail on it, nothing crazy 150-190 class. We plan on doing some hunting, but will have to sell or give away some tags. Biologist dictates what has to be cultivated. It is only 40 minutes from our lake place so hope to use it a lot.
Well i would love to be on the short list for such opportunity especially for my kids. I know yall are out of PK and i am out of springtown north of Weatherford. DM me if said opportunity could come about. 150-190 are monsters in my opinion i doubt ill ever get something of that size.

parker guy

Reaction score
Make sure you stop at buc-ces On the way up 35 in New Braunfels. You will see the signs. A gas station you’ll never forget.
We looked south of Austin before deciding on Georgetown. About 30 miles north of Austin.

We looked at both of these areas, my issue was Austin feels like down town LA. We ended up out of Fort Worth.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We looked at both of these areas, my issue was Austin feels like down town LA. We ended up out of Fort Worth.

what part of Fort Worth? Definitely not picking Austin. It’s just a base camp while we look.

Cdog

Reaction score
I just returned from Frisco TX. Had a great trip. Saw many friends. Drove from Waxyourhoochee area to pick up painted body panels to McKinney area to drop off my car for set up.

Two things always stand out when I spend time there.

1. The drivers are absolutely retarded. Nobody is in a hurry except for the one guy in the $50 pos car.

2. Everybody is real nice in person/face to face conversations. No bitching & moaning about everything like I hear in AZ & Ca. With one exception. Once they hear that I’m from AZ they will bitch about Californians ruining the state/nation.

I love the idea of Texas. If I had to choose D/FW it would have to be out towards Grapevine. Country feel. 5+ acres, hobby ranch & room around me. Problem is all my friends are in Frisco and they have a great group of friends. Sort of like 1950’s America where if someone is sick, the neighbors bring over dinner & help out etc... Bad side is tract home hoa, small garage hell.

I prefer the central hill country around New Braunfels. Canyon lake area. Problem is it’s 6 hours away from all my friends.

So if I were to move from AZ I guess I would have to say fuck it and move to N Florida gulf side where I’m on an inter coastal channel.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I just drove through New Braunfels yesterday, stopped in Gruene for lunch. Its amazing how much that area has changed just in the few years I've lived here. As I was getting close to SA I swear it felt like I was on the Garden Grove fwy. Its was actually kind of eerie

Cdog

Reaction score
I just drove through New Braunfels yesterday, stopped in Gruene for lunch. Its amazing how much that area has changed just in the few years I've lived here. As I was getting close to SA I swear it felt like I was on the Garden Grove fwy. Its was actually kind of eerie

Good ole garbage grove. Did it smell like stirfry Rottweiler or In and out?

I do miss the Loves BBQ right off the 22. That was good stuff when I was a kid.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We spent most of the day at Vintage oaks master planned community, a great place and people have built very nice homes. But the 3 ac lots are $310k with little under 1/2 that is usable due to the terrain and homes are running about 180-220 per foot. not including premiums with building up foundations on slopes.

Texas hill country is beautiful but busy people everywhere. Was told to look out toward Bastrop TX. It’s not hill country, but has the large trees forest like places and more country feel. Hopefully It has shopping for the wife 15-20 min away.

Taking tomorrow off so the kids can play, have new years dinner Then back at it Friday.

XX14

Reaction score
We spent most of the day at Vintage oaks master planned community, a great place and people have built very nice homes. But the 3 ac lots are $310k with little under 1/2 that is usable due to the terrain and homes are running about 180-220 per foot. not including premiums with building up foundations on slopes.

Texas hill country is beautiful but busy people everywhere. Was told to look out toward Bastrop TX. It’s not hill country, but has the large trees forest like places and more country feel. Hopefully It has shopping for the wife 15-20 min away.

Taking tomorrow off so the kids can play, have new years dinner Then back at it Friday.

We’re 5 minutes further down 46 in Mountain Springs Ranch Spring Branch/Canyon Lake area. VO is nice but it’s sprawling. Come take a look in the Spring Branch/Bulverde area.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We’re 5 minutes further down 46 in Mountain Springs Ranch Spring Branch/Canyon Lake area. VO is nice but it’s sprawling. Come take a look in the Spring Branch/Bulverde area.

Will make the trip that way, not knowing the area that we’ll do I type in Bulverde tx? Looks like that is not for from Boerne and I want to look there as well. Also want to look at canyon lake.

Going to make a trip out to the preserve at walnut springs in johnson city hopefully tomorrow.

Cdog

Reaction score
How are you doing with over night temps in the 30's? Are you able to keep the trailer warm for the whole family?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Any updates? How is the search going?

Heads spinning. Looking at commercial tomorrow.

Homes and lots are being sold crazy fast in the hill country. Form Georgetown/ Leander to Bulverde/ New Braunfels

Vintage oaks is a great community and like it in New Braunfels. It’s hill country and a lot of lots (what’s left) will have a lot of foundations work. Like 8-12’ in some places, but the views are Killer but that can be 60k+ in foundation work. Then add $180-200 sq ft plus land, Its pricey as hell.

Looking a 5ac lots tomorrow at Centennial Ridge in Bulverde, only 8 lots left so not many. These you can buy and hold and not build. Could be a investment as not many 5ac lots available around and only being 30-40 min to San Antonio, and 15 min to other major shopping.

Have not stopped at all and already been here a week. F’ing tired.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
How are you doing with over night temps in the 30's? Are you able to keep the trailer warm for the whole family?

Been pretty warm, nice 75 today and lows have been mid/low 40’s. Going to be little cooler the next couple of days. So far just a space heater for the kids sleeping is all the is needed. Trailer stay around 65. We like it cold.

We did have some rain New Year’s Eve and was cold. 2 space heaters kept it warm and windows started to sweat pretty bad.

We added all the insulation on trailer we could during the build to help.

Supposed to drop the coming week for mid/low 30’s. So will see what happens.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
We flew into Dallas last night to check on our lot and discuss our building plans. Looks like there’s about 80% chance of snow predicted on Sunday here in Midlothian. Looking forward to living here in the near future!

Awesome. We looked that way a year ago and might go back that way before we pull the trigger down here.

What we like about down here is that it still is really green and the hills. But it comes at a cost that is pushing the cost limits that I would like to be.

Cdog

Reaction score
Been pretty warm, nice 75 today and lows have been mid/low 40’s. Going to be little cooler the next couple of days. So far just a space heater for the kids sleeping is all the is needed. Trailer stay around 65. We like it cold.

We did have some rain New Year’s Eve and was cold. 2 space heaters kept it warm and windows started to sweat pretty bad.

We added all the insulation on trailer we could during the build to help.

Supposed to drop the coming week for mid/low 30’s. So will see what happens.

My only complaint about my Genesis is if I make it comfortable for the kids in the bunk/main area, I’ll be roasting my ass off in the bedroom. I assume you’re on hook ups if you’re running space heaters.

HBCraig

Reaction score
For you texas boys

What's your take on Georgetown? Good area?

My buddy is moving his family and his business. He asked me about Round Rock too. I told him I have friends in Round Rock and it looks legit. Huge houses and pretty affluent

Just looking for your opinions

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Heads spinning. Looking at commercial tomorrow.

Homes and lots are being sold crazy fast in the hill country. Form Georgetown/ Leander to Bulverde/ New Braunfels

Vintage oaks is a great community and like it in New Braunfels. It’s hill country and a lot of lots (what’s left) will have a lot of foundations work. Like 8-12’ in some places, but the views are Killer but that can be 60k+ in foundation work. Then add $180-200 sq ft plus land, Its pricey as hell.

Looking a 5ac lots tomorrow at Centennial Ridge in Bulverde, only 8 lots left so not many. These you can buy and hold and not build. Could be a investment as not many 5ac lots available around and only being 30-40 min to San Antonio, and 15 min to other major shopping.

Have not stopped at all and already been here a week. F’ing tired.
It's got to be hard trying to find both commercial and residential at the same time. We're pretty much tied to Flower Mound for now, but I do love the extra land you get as you move further away from the metroplex. I've seen some pretty nice land west of Fort Worth that I wouldn't mind purchasing as a future investment. Seems like a solid balance between country and convenience.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
For you texas boys

What's your take on Georgetown? Good area?

My buddy is moving his family and his business. He asked me about Round Rock too. I told him I have friends in Round Rock and it looks legit. Huge houses and pretty affluent

Just looking for your opinions

Georgetown has higher utility costs than the surrounding area is he is in Georgetowns electric service area...like 40% (still cheaper than CA though.

It's a neat town, with a solid downtown area. We did a bunch of solar there previously. Watch the property taxes, they can vary significantly between the different municipalities. If my house was around 5 miles down the road my tax would be a third of what it is.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My only complaint about my Genesis is if I make it comfortable for the kids in the bunk/main area, I’ll be roasting my ass off in the bedroom. I assume you’re on hook ups if you’re running space heaters.

100% on the heat in the bed area, no good. That’s why I don’t try and run the furnace. So the space heater works great while being hooked up.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Wife and I are considering Texas as a landing spot once 2 of our kids are out of the house. I Googled "Overall Tax Burden By State" and on Wallethub it shows Texas with a higher property tax burden than CA? Mentioned above are posts about a "few miles down the road property taxes would be lower" and I also hear that utilities are high in Texas. What are the ins and outs of the areas, Texas overall and so on? One of our kids will be with us until we pass and we are looking for an established "country" area not in the heart of the city where we have some room around us but not too far away from quality medical care which my daughter requires.

2 years ago we went on a cross-country road trip. We are doing that again this Summer but doing more "investigating" with Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas as focuses.

Funny...we are also from Fontana as is OP Done-it-again.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

XX14

Reaction score
Wife and I are considering Texas as a landing spot once 2 of our kids are out of the house. I Googled "Overall Tax Burden By State" and on Wallethub it shows Texas with a higher property tax burden than CA? Mentioned above are posts about a "few miles down the road property taxes would be lower" and I also hear that utilities are high in Texas. What are the ins and outs of the areas, Texas overall and so on? One of our kids will be with us until we pass and we are looking for an established "country" area not in the heart of the city where we have some room around us but not too far away from quality medical care which my daughter requires.

2 years ago we went on a cross-country road trip. We are doing that again this Summer but doing more "investigating" with Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas as focuses.

We do have a de facto state tax in Texas with high property taxes. Where we live we’re outside incorporated areas and our property tax bill is significantly lower.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
We do have a de facto state tax in Texas with high property taxes. Where we live we’re outside incorporated areas and our property tax bill is significantly lower.

This...in city limits, especially affluent areas you are going to get reamed with no vaseline (2-3x the surrounding area). We have no income tax but sales tax, property tax, and vehicle registration is high if you do it here (we do not, yay MT).

Power ranges from around $0.08-$0.16 (im in the solar industry so I see it directly).

Honestly Wimberly comes to mind instantly for your situation...my friend is in a similar boat with his son and they live outside of there on a few acres of land. It's a cool little town and right down the road from New Braunfels and San Marcos for medical care..and not much farther to Austin.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

I think the reason CA didn't come in higher is the prop 13 property tax. That report is based on percentages, so with CA at 1% property tax then it gets a lower percentage overall. I believe if you look at it in dollars, due to the high real estate cost in CA that they would be higher than what is shown on the study. JMO

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I think the reason CA didn't come in higher is the prop 13 property tax. That report is based on percentages, so with CA at 1% property tax then it gets a lower percentage overall. I believe if you look at it in dollars, due to the high real estate cost in CA that they would be higher than what is shown on the study. JMO

I’ve done quite a bit of analysis and would agree with this. You’ve got to look at the big picture.

-How much you are saving on state income tax “Bigger impact with the more you make”
-Are you still buying a million dollar house in Texas when that million dollar house in So Cal is probably $450/$500k in Texas
“Lower base price is better for prop tax”
-I’ve seen lower HOAs in Texas
-I haven’t seen much Mello Roos in Texas
-Etc.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score

You are in the california area of TX. Very liberal in austin san antonio. Just fyi

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You are in the california area of TX. Very liberal in austin san antonio. Just fyi

Austin, George town, Leander, Round Rock, Buda, San Marcos.

All can be some what called liberal. Austin for sure 100%. From the people we meet they have not been and from the 40:1 ration of Trump flags to Biden, I’m comfortable.

We meet an older couple Donny and Sweetie who are buying, they come form below San Antonio and are ranchers in the middle of no where. They are done so moving in to “town” they call it. So if they want to go out to eat it’s not 30 miles 1 way. Anyways, Donny takes out a pin and writes their names and phone number down and hands it us so if we buy we can meet up. Who does that when meeting someone for the first time for 30 min. Not in CA and not a LIB.

I also feel that buying in the hill country my home investment will have a better return.

Will see!

Yesterday was cut short as my father was in a car accident with our kids. So we had our 5ac site visit short and being 1.5 hrs away it was a tough ride back to camp.

All are good, little sore. The truck will be spending some extra time in TX getting fixed. Damn 2021.