WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Texas bound

clarence

Reaction score
Played golf and had dinner in Boerne, TX last week.

Great place.

If I ever bail from downtown Austin, I might look there.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I think the reason CA didn't come in higher is the prop 13 property tax. That report is based on percentages, so with CA at 1% property tax then it gets a lower percentage overall. I believe if you look at it in dollars, due to the high real estate cost in CA that they would be higher than what is shown on the study. JMO
You can bank on the Communists in Sacramento repealing Prop 13 in the next 2-6 years. Then there will be zero reason for anyone to stay in California! I really wish Arizona wasn’t turning Blue. That’s where I planned to go. Texas is a long drive to Havasu!

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Yep...I am really worried about Prop 13 being repealed.

My issue is that I have a sophomore in HS and another in 7th grade. I am kind of stuck in that "no man's land" for about 5 years otherwise I have to pull one or the other out in the middle of HS. I should have pulled the trigger 5 years ago. Other issue is that we live on a kickass street with awesome neighbors. Ideal situation would be picking up my entire street and moving all of us!

Tough to leave this situation we have with our community and friends which are as close as family.

Effing CA!!!!!

Sherpa

Reaction score
We go to the Buccees between Dallas and Tyler on i20... huge place. Wife loves it so do I.

—wife totally loves eastern Tx now.. 2nd home near Tyler/canton would be awesome.
I already lived in Austin in 1990-1992. Fun then,
Wouldn’t do it now.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
So what is the best area of Texas now? Conservative with all of "amenities".

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Yep...I am really worried about Prop 13 being repealed.

My issue is that I have a sophomore in HS and another in 7th grade. I am kind of stuck in that "no man's land" for about 5 years otherwise I have to pull one or the other out in the middle of HS. I should have pulled the trigger 5 years ago. Other issue is that we live on a kickass street with awesome neighbors. Ideal situation would be picking up my entire street and moving all of us!

Tough to leave this situation we have with our community and friends which are as close as family.

Effing CA!!!!!

That was the biggest and hardest part about us leaving. Kind of weird that after we left out little neighborhood has fractured a little. One bought in Wyoming and another looking there. One is going to come to TN next summer to check it out. That will leave 3 and from what I hear they do not get together much anymore. When we were there every Sunday we would throw shoes, have a pot luck, smoke cigars in the Jacuzzi and watch some sport on tv at the bar.

We have made awesome friends here in Sarasota, TN is a little slower making friends, but we are so spread out that it will just take more time.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Little bit of a snow day.

34254801-AD2A-4EB5-9C8C-2548AB1471D0.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
You can bank on the Communists in Sacramento repealing Prop 13 in the next 2-6 years. Then there will be zero reason for anyone to stay in California! I really wish Arizona wasn’t turning Blue. That’s where I planned to go. Texas is a long drive to Havasu!
Don’t abandon Arizona we need all the conservatives we can get. Tucson and Phoenix are killing us

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Only flurries here in Prosper. Bummer. I love the weather here. The variation is nice compared to Fresno.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
My wife wants 4 seasons...if she sees this she won't care if it is Texas, Tennesee or the Carolina's?

It's tough to figure which place nowadays has the most pros and the less amount of cons?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
It Hailed, then sleeted, then snow/sleet mix, then big flakes at my house all this morning. stopped about noon. Grounds too warm here for it to stick.

Texas is a long drive to Havasu!

17 Hours from my driveway in New Braunfels, to the house in Havasu..with 2 kids, 2 dogs, and the fuckin hamster (ive posted about this before lol). We do it 6 times a year or so. I probably fly another 4-6 times via Vegas. Boat stays in Havasu. With the covid shit this last year we clocked around 4 months in Havasu total.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
So what is the best area of Texas now? Conservative with all of "amenities".

New Braunfels is a Red city sandwiched between blue SA, and AUS.... I don't know if it will stay that way, the California exodus is heavily present here. We like it though.

My wife wants 4 seasons...if she sees this she won't care if it is Texas, Tennesee or the Carolina's?

It's tough to figure which place nowadays has the most pros and the less amount of cons?

I like Texas for the most part... With the exception of what's called the "shitty trifecta" aka the liberal shitholes. Austin, Dallas, Ft-Worth.. Stay out of them and you will be fine. Theres a pretty funny video online about the shitty trifecta I'll try to find.

South Central Texas has a lot of +'s, the -'s are pricing mostly, and the sheer influx of people moving here daily. I avoid leaving New Braunfels unless I absolutely have to...maybe once a week meeting in SA, and Austin...other than that I don't leave the area..

If your wife is active she'll never be bored here. I think my wife's favorite 5 things about where we live would be

1. Live music (we saw Cody Johnson Friday night in SA, and see live music at least once a week since we live a mile from Gruene Hall).
2. Outdoor options: from hiking, to tubing, to parks etc..there's a lot to do.
3. Pricing of things..She LOVES H.E.B. its nothing like where we've lived before...everything is cheap, and the house brand is better than the name for a lot of things..
4. Ease of travel..we take a lot of trips.
5. Farmer's Markets are plentiful..

Last edited:

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight...2021 is going to be interesting figuring out our next steps.

Having grown up in CA...I have always been fine with it like back when I was younger and there was some "common sense" on both sides of the political fence. With it being so frickin' left wing and crazy...I don't think I can do it much longer? I am not blind to liberal opinions/thoughts and I respect an educated opinion...even from a liberal. But the costs, the crap and the fact that we make excuses for every crime committed and "rehabilitate" every person that commits a crime is insane to me? I remember when I was a teenager...my Dad gave me 2 dimes and said that was for the 1 phone call to come get me wherever I was before I got into any trouble. He would be there no questions asked but only once. He always warned me that if I ever got thrown in jail...do not call the house and I would be wise to stay there as I would be much safer there than with him. We would both be in jail because he would be sitting beside me on assault charges...and he meant it. He was 6' 6" and 300 lbs.

He is now gone...but to this day I live by those "rules"

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight...2021 is going to be interesting figuring out our next steps.

Having grown up in CA...I have always been fine with it like back when I was younger and there was some "common sense" on both sides of the political fence. With it being so frickin' left wing and crazy...I don't think I can do it much longer? I am not blind to liberal opinions/thoughts and I respect an educated opinion...even from a liberal. But the costs, the crap and the fact that we make excuses for every crime committed and "rehabilitate" every person that commits a crime is insane to me? I remember when I was a teenager...my Dad gave me 2 dimes and said that was for the 1 phone call to come get me wherever I was before I got into any trouble. He would be there no questions asked but only once. He always warned me that if I ever got thrown in jail...do not call the house and I would be wise to stay there as I would be much safer there than with him. We would both be in jail because he would be sitting beside me on assault charges...and he meant it. He was 6' 6" and 300 lbs.

He is now gone...but to this day I live by those "rules"
Come to North Dallas with me and my friends. We’ll take back the area.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
It Hailed, then sleeted, then snow/sleet mix, then big flakes at my house all this morning. stopped about noon. Grounds too warm here for it to stick.

17 Hours from my driveway in New Braunfels, to the house in Havasu..with 2 kids, 2 dogs, and the fuckin hamster (ive posted about this before lol). We do it 6 times a year or so. I probably fly another 4-6 times via Vegas. Boat stays in Havasu. With the covid shit this last year we clocked around 4 months in Havasu total.
The only way I could do that is getting my Private Pilots License. A 34 hour round trip road trip with 2 Kids, 2 Dogs, and a Hamster sure sounds awfully fun, lol 😝

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Well, It looks like Bulverde TX. We have the lot we like and it should be released within 2 weeks (master planned community). All infrastructure in our phase should be done mid end 2022. Seems far away but with all the logistics involved that we have it should be right on.

Then if something happens for whatever reason we can sell the lot. Shouldn’t lose money as everything is selling and only going up.

PS. You should see the Tesla giga plant that is being built in Austin, Damn. These hi tech people got to live somewhere. Even though Bulverde is little over an hour away.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well, It looks like Bulverde TX. We have the lot we like and it should be released within 2 weeks (master planned community). All infrastructure in our phase should be done mid end 2022. Seems far away but with all the logistics involved that we have it should be right on.

Then if something happens for whatever reason we can sell the lot. Shouldn’t lose money as everything is selling and only going up.

PS. You should see the Tesla giga plant that is being built in Austin, Damn. These hi tech people got to live somewhere. Even though Bulverde is little over an hour away.
That’s awesome! Do you already know who you’re builder is going to be? Any luck with commercial?

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That’s awesome! Do you already know who you’re builder is going to be? Any luck with commercial?

We met with KC custom homes. Great family owned business and really get a lot for the price. You design the floor plan for scratch.

Also met with Grand Endeavor homes. For the price point and how there jobs look, I think it will be hard to beat. Really like their “Sweetleaf” layout with some adjustments.

Some others we had phone meetings but when they start throwing out numbers like $250 sq foot as the first number not including the lot. The feet get real cold.

Again it’s booming, it’s like havasu. Everyone is working, so it’s name your price.

I’m a bit more frugal, wife calls me cheap.

My commerical was cut short due to my fathers accident the other day. So I head out again Wednesday. Not expecting much, but will see.

XX14

Reaction score
We met with KC custom homes. Great family owned business and really get a lot for the price. You design the floor plan for scratch.

Also met with Grand Endeavor homes. For the price point and how there jobs look, I think it will be hard to beat. Really like their “Sweetleaf” layout with some adjustments.

Some others we had phone meetings but when they start throwing out numbers like $250 sq foot as the first number not including the lot. The feet get real cold.

Again it’s booming, it’s like havasu. Everyone is working, so it’s name your price.

My commerical was cut short due to my fathers accident the other day. So I head out again Wednesday. Not expecting much, but will see.

I’m definitely available if you need help. I live ten minutes from there. You’re correct land prices won’t be going down. I have experience building a custom home. Lots of pitfalls. Join the local Nextdoor and ask about builders. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Where and what to look at?

I’m tied to the Flower Mound, South Lake, Highland Village, Double Oak, or Copper Canyon area at first. Our friends are there, it’s close enough to jobs if I can’t transfer, it suits our current lifestyle, and I figure it gives us the best chance of staying out of California long-term.

Ideally, we try that out for a few years and then move a little further out where I could get some acreage and a custom home like Done-it-again. Northlake has some beautiful builds as do some of the cities on the outskirts of Forth Worth.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Chris at Carrol Construction is a pretty solid guy from what I've seen, he's local to bulverde/spring branch. https://www.carrollconstruction.build

Construction here isn't regulated like CA/AZ, very few trades require licensing and there is no GC licensing in texas..so keep that in mind. I'd shop around a bit because of that. Lumber is STUPID here right now, lot of projects on hold over that right now. I've done a lot of solar in that area, lots of ground mounts, etc. Are you going to be in CPS, or PEC for utilities? If CPS we should chat closer to build time, PEC I will recommend you NOT do it. One recommendation is metal or tile roofs out here..we get hail semi frequently.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I’m definitely available if you need help. I live ten minutes from there. You’re correct land prices won’t be going down. I have experience building a custom home. Lots of pitfalls. Join the local Nextdoor and ask about builders. Welcome!

Thank you for the offer. Didn’t think about the nextdoor app. Good call.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Chris at Carrol Construction is a pretty solid guy from what I've seen, he's local to bulverde/spring branch. https://www.carrollconstruction.build

Construction here isn't regulated like CA/AZ, very few trades require licensing and there is no GC licensing in texas..so keep that in mind. I'd shop around a bit because of that. Lumber is STUPID here right now, lot of projects on hold over that right now. I've done a lot of solar in that area, lots of ground mounts, etc. Are you going to be in CPS, or PEC for utilities? If CPS we should chat closer to build time, PEC I will recommend you NOT do it. One recommendation is metal or tile roofs out here..we get hail semi frequently.

I’m not sure. I know we fall under San Antonio, but will have to check out the power company.

The acc is requiring metal or tile roofs.
Didn’t really want that and wanted composite was fine with me. Thought the metal would dent in hail, guess not. Some of the metal roofs looks great, but have seen some look real bad to what looks like a bad install/forming.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I’m not sure. I know we fall under San Antonio, but will have to check out the power company.

The acc is requiring metal or tile roofs.
Didn’t really want that and wanted composite was fine with me. Thought the metal would dent in hail, guess not. Some of the metal roofs looks great, but have seen some look real bad to what looks like a bad install/forming.

You should be under CPS in that case, their net metering agreement is actually pretty good.

When it gets closer to build time I can give you a list of companies/contractors for just about everything that we've worked with.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

I hope pops is feeling OK after the accident.

I really wish I had the stomach for a custom build right now, but it seems like a lot of work. I’d love a smaller house with at least a 5 car garage.

Yikes, $250?! That gets pricey real quick.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
In this part of the country hail storms occur like Ace stated above. Whether you are doing new construction or replacing a roof, spend the extra bux on IR shingles (impact resistant). Longer life and some insurance
companies will give discounts.
FYI

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I hope pops is feeling OK after the accident.

I really wish I had the stomach for a custom build right now, but it seems like a lot of work. I’d love a smaller house with at least a 5 car garage.

Yikes, $250?! That gets pricey real quick.

Yes everyone is good. Thx. Will see what happens to the truck. Just bought a trailer so he can still tow his golf cart to Florida when they leave this weekend from Texas.

Yes 250 sq ft adds up. Then add land at 150k. Yeek. Way more than what I was looking for. But also can’t touch the land and home price in CA in a nice area with a good school.

From the builders we talked too it’s 4-5 month design time, then the build.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You should be under CPS in that case, their net metering agreement is actually pretty good.

When it gets closer to build time I can give you a list of companies/contractors for just about everything that we've worked with.

I’m double checking with the land developer on the power company, will let you know.

For sure, I’ll reach out once we start the process. We might go ahead and do the leg work for what we want and get the full budget then hold off. Then when ready pull the trigger and pay any prices increases at that time.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I’m double checking with the land developer on the power company, will let you know.

For sure, I’ll reach out once we start the process. We might go ahead and do the leg work for what we want and get the full budget then hold off. Then when ready pull the trigger and pay any prices increases at that time.

Just keep me in the loop, yea it can run into a longer process on new builds. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell number. If you get back down here don't hesitate to reach out. Bulverde is a pretty cool area, they have community events, car shows etc pretty often. 281 Traffic sucks but once they are done with the widening project (since 2015) it will be fine.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Just received confirmation that the area is PEC for power.

Also checked that there is no MUD,PUD,PID too. Got to watch that stuff.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Just received confirmation that the area is PEC for power.

Also checked that there is no MUD,PUD,PID too. Got to watch that stuff.

Yea in that case I wouldn't even consider it...and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Let me know if you wind up needing info on any subs, I'd be happy to give you a list of who we've worked with.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yea in that case I wouldn't even consider it...and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Let me know if you wind up needing info on any subs, I'd be happy to give you a list of who we've worked with.

Thanks for the info. Do you own the solar company off the 35. Something about solar and wind. Didn’t catch the name, but passed it many times.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Well this is the lot. We should get the phone call once it’s released for sale and if we still want it’s ours. Hoping for no bs and we get the call, that’s our only obstacle.

Lots of nice oak trees. Will need to take a couple out for the house but should work out with some nice ones in front and in the back.

FC51367F-2E9D-4BB9-A56B-9E1555FEF2C6.jpeg
8D0CAFAA-6075-4A84-A2B0-43E2206D47AD.jpeg
390D60F4-E647-41FA-97A6-0AFF66A4084D.jpeg
4C715D92-9CC4-4DBA-AE0B-843C79A52A72.jpeg
51A628FD-3B3A-4BCB-B917-9BAE598E1806.jpeg
DD60AB03-1A33-4940-BB3D-56FB187DF60B.jpeg
35B842E4-B60B-4A70-82FB-AE48C40F99CD.jpeg
45E958AD-0182-4382-A1C2-69A5CB1699B8.jpeg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you own the solar company off the 35. Something about solar and wind. Didn’t catch the name, but passed it many times.

Nope, not sure who that one is? Where was it at? We're efficiency based, solar is only part of what we do. I can send you a link to our website over PM. We've just got a small office in San Antonio, and a warehouse on the outskirts of NB to house materials.

Thats a nice lot btw. if you can save those big trees I would.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Nope, not sure who that one is? Where was it at? We're efficiency based, solar is only part of what we do. I can send you a link to our website over PM. We've just got a small office in San Antonio, and a warehouse on the outskirts of NB to house materials.

Thats a nice lot btw. if you can save those big trees I would.

Its a metal building off the 35 south. Around San Marcos area. It’s the only solar company I’ve seen. Says something like solar-wind-water.

The plan would be to keep as many trees as possible. That’s what sold the lot for us.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Well this is the lot. We should get the phone call once it’s released for sale and if we still want it’s ours. Hoping for no bs and we get the call, that’s our only obstacle.

Lots of nice oak trees. Will need to take a couple out for the house but should work out with some nice ones in front and in the back.

View attachment 961549 View attachment 961550 View attachment 961551 View attachment 961552 View attachment 961554 View attachment 961555 View attachment 961556 View attachment 961557
That is awesome!

Do you have to build a road in? Bring in electricity? So cool.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That is awesome!

Do you have to build a road in? Bring in electricity? So cool.

No. All is there just not ready yet. It’s a master planned community still.

Have underground gas, water, internet. The only thing that is different is the sprinkler style septic system, it sprays the recycled water out since the ground to rocky for a leach field.

Not as rule as it shows, it will take on a different view once houses start going. For now the road is only cut and staked for plots. Should be around 1.3 ac.

XX14

Reaction score
What’s the name of the community?

PilotRyan

Reaction score
I’m tied to the Flower Mound, South Lake, Highland Village, Double Oak, or Copper Canyon area at first. Our friends are there, it’s close enough to jobs if I can’t transfer, it suits our current lifestyle, and I figure it gives us the best chance of staying out of California long-term.

Ideally, we try that out for a few years and then move a little further out where I could get some acreage and a custom home like Done-it-again. Northlake has some beautiful builds as do some of the cities on the outskirts of Forth Worth.

I spent my whole life growing up in Highland Village and Flower Mound. My parents are still there, but I live with my girlfriend in Aubrey now. The thing I love about it is that I’m 30 minutes from pretty much anywhere in the metroplex worth going. I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. The boat ramp to lake Lewisville is 3 minutes from my driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdog

Reaction score

View attachment 961549 View attachment 961550 View attachment 961551 View attachment 961552 View attachment 961554 View attachment 961555 View attachment 961556 View attachment 961557

I'm jealous. Seriously take these pics down asap. We need to keep this area on a need to know basis.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
No. All is there just not ready yet. It’s a master planned community still.

Have underground gas, water, internet. The only thing that is different is the sprinkler style septic system, it sprays the recycled water out since the ground to rocky for a leach field.

Not as rule as it shows, it will take on a different view once houses start going. For now the road is only cut and staked for plots. Should be around 1.3 ac.
Can’t wait to see what you do with it. Congrats!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm jealous. Seriously take these pics down asap. We need to keep this area on a need to know basis.

Ha ha ha. I know but the people we met have been welcoming. I feel obligated to share the area with like
Minded people.

Again the area, even Texas for that matter is popping off.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Ha ha ha. I know but the people we met have been welcoming. I feel obligated to share the area with like
Minded people.

Again the area, even Texas for that matter is popping off.

New Braunfels and the surrounding area has been one of the top 5 fastest growing areas in the US. We havent been here all that long and the growth is just insane... my 10 year old has been through 2 different sets of teachers this year so far...wouldnt be surprised if they shuffle again because of the growth. All the surrounding areas are growing stupid fast.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
New Braunfels and the surrounding area has been one of the top 5 fastest growing areas in the US. We havent been here all that long and the growth is just insane... my 10 year old has been through 2 different sets of teachers this year so far...wouldnt be surprised if they shuffle again because of the growth. All the surrounding areas are growing stupid fast.

We met a guy checking lots out in the same community as we were yesterday. He lives in New Braunfels and looking at moving to Bulverde to have more country feel.