WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Texas Lady killed by feral hogs.....

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Those who think it's cruel to kill as many wild hogs as possible and even think they're good to have around, here's what can happen when their numbers grow far out of control. Anahuac is a small coastal community in bays and wetlands. This area hold the largest alligator population ion the state and a huge feral hog population. It is just off I10 east of Houston headed towards Beaumont, just NE of Galveston Bay...….

Feral hogs attacked and killed a woman outside a southeast Texas home where she worked as a caretaker, according to authorities.

4 WISCONSIN HUNTERS SHOT IN SEPERATE INCIDENTS ON OPENING DAY FOR DEER SEASON

Christine Rollins, 59, cared for an elderly couple at their home in the small town of Anahuac.

"Unbelievably tragic. This is a very rare incident, just what little research we have found less than six of these have been reported in the nation," Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne said.

hogs-on-bait.jpg

Hawthorne says Rollins had a severe head wound and several other injuries consistent with an animal bite

FERAL HOGS HEADED FOR US FROM CANADA; WILDLIFE OFFICIALS WARN OF WIDESPREAD DAMAGE

Hawthorne said Monday the 84-year-old woman she cared for was waiting for Rollins to arrive on Sunday. The woman went outside and found the woman in the front yard between her car and the front door.

Hawthorne said Rollins had a severe head wound and several other injuries consistent with an animal bite. The coroner in neighboring Jefferson County ruled Monday that she bled to death after an attack by feral hogs. Texas’ KATU2 reported that the medical examiner said the cause of death was “exsanguination due to feral hog assault."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-wo...-outside-home-in-unbelievably-tragic-incident

Old Texan

Reaction score
@copterzach ...needs to attach belt feds and go on "patrol".

I've heard stories those hogs get both big, and aggressive. Not a good combination for people living in the area.
We often travel a small country road heading to Houston which is about 40 miles north. Often we will encounter herds of 40-60 hogs crossing that road, many over 250 lbs. These herds will turn several acres into what looks like tilled ground virtually overnight. Juvenile livestock are targeted by them.

Those tusks will rake huge gouges of flesh in a single pass.:eek:

rrrr

Reaction score
I saw one that had been hit by a car about ¼ mile from my lake house a couple of weeks ago. It was freekin' huge, probably close to 300 lbs. I had no idea they were in that area.

Old Texan

Reaction score
There is two types of landowners in Texas, those that have hogs and those that will have hogs. You actually don't even need a hunting licence to hunt hogs in any more.
I don't know if there are that many "will have" left....;)

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Resized_20191126_123316_1846.jpeg
Big deal out here in my area , feral and cross breds from Black Russian ancestors , big as steers , they litterally "roto till fields" , I killed a 400 lb tusker a few years back at 100 yards on a side hill , 06' round hit him just back of his left shoulder a bit low and exited high, tracked him blood drops for 30 minutes , finish shot was my 44 mag (meat was awful, smelled like piss ) . Used to know a guy claimed He hunted them with Pit bulls and a Bowie knife ;) I'll dig out a picture ...

Last edited:

Old Texan

Reaction score
I saw one that had been hit by a car about ¼ mile from my lake house a couple of weeks ago. It was freekin' huge, probably close to 300 lbs. I had no idea they were in that area.
There was a restaurant in Matagorda that hauled scraps and grain across the river to an island formed by the Gulf, Colorado River, and ICW. The shoreline island is overrun with 100's+ hogs. The restaurant deck was a viewing area to watch them come out to eat. Herd has many boars over 250lbs and up. 6-8" tusks and mean as hell. Folks that have gone to the island during the day often never see any live animals, just the signs they are there.

You will rarely see them in the wild near homes, but will know they are there from all the rooting and damage they do. Suckers hide well during the day. The lady that got maimed arrived before daylight and got caught in the retreat into the woods.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Big deal out here in my area , feral and cross breds from Black Russian ancestors , big as steers , they litterally "roto till fields" , I killed a 400 lb tusker a few years back at 100 yards on a side hill , 06' round hit him just back of his left shoulder a bit low and exited high, tracked him blood drops for 30 minutes , finish shot was my 44 mag (meat was awful, smelled like piss ) . Used to know a guy claimed He hunted them with Pit bulls and a Bowie knife ;) I'll dig out a picture ...
Hope it's more "glamorous than the video debacle......:rolleyes::D

I'd never attempt that kinda deal. The diseases those bastards carry like brucellosis are serious "bad shit". Dressing one out without long, quality rubber gloves is foolish. The virus can enter your blood stream through open wounds/sore and is debilitating.

The spread of these diseases to domestic swine herds is a huge problem and has bankrupt more than a few farmers/ranchers if their stock is found to be infected. It can be passed from domestic sows getting bred by wild boars and appear in the litter. They have to destroy all their stock if it's found.

rrrr

Reaction score
They're big and mean.

By the way, the photo Old Texan posted above shows an elevated automatic corn feeder. They're filled with corn kernels and spin out a measured amount on a time schedule. Deer hunters use them to attract deer.

I grew up hunting in New Mexico with my dad from the age of five. We hunted in mountainous national forests, and finding big bucks required a lot of work. By the time I was twelve, I knew how to identify deer movements and track them silently. I had been given a scoped 30.06 for my birthday that year, and in that season and following years, I killed four large muley bucks with just five shots. Some of those were taken at distances around 200 yards. My dad taught me well.

I moved to Texas when I was nineteen. I found out deer hunting was completely different here. The deer population would overwhelm crops and create millions in damages if it wasn't held in check by hunting. The hunting process is completly different.

Hunters are allowed to bait the deer, which explains the corn dispenser. A great number of the annual deer harvest is taken by hunters in tree stands. Some of them hold up to four hunters, are enclosed, have propane heaters and bottles of Jack Daniels. They overlook clearings with timed corn dispensers.

Killing a deer simply requires one to bait an area for a few days and climbing into the tree stand to shoot it from 50 yards or less. Not only that, Texas whitetail bucks are rarely larger than 125 lbs.

When I found out how deer hunting worked in Texas, it all seemed really unsporting to me. I was used to a battle of wits and skill in stalking a 200 lb buck mule deer over steep mountainous terrain, sometimes miles from where I had started hunting. This meant packing out the kill.

While there are excellent reasons behind the management of the deer population in Texas and I understand why that is, I just couldn't bring myself to hunt here. Almost all hunting is on private leased property, and a 500 acre lease is considered large. Killing a baited animal from a tree held no attraction whatsoever to me. I've never bothered to try it.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Hope it's more "glamorous than the video debacle......:rolleyes::D

I'd never attempt that kinda deal. The diseases those bastards carry like brucellosis are serious "bad shit". Dressing one out without long, quality rubber gloves is foolish. The virus can enter your blood stream through open wounds/sore and is debilitating.

The spread of these diseases to domestic swine herds is a huge problem and has bankrupt more than a few farmers/ranchers if their stock is found to be infected. It can be passed from domestic sows getting bred by wild boars and appear in the litter. They have to destroy all their stock if it's found.

Have to wonder if those dogs chewing on that hog wouldn't make them susceptible to the diseases they carry?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
How does a .223 or 5.56 round do with these hogs? Curios what they are using to cull the heard of these fuckers.

farmo83

Reaction score
How does a .223 or 5.56 round do with these hogs? Curios what they are using to cull the heard of these fuckers.

Great for a small one. Also great for just pissing off a big one. I'd want more lead to hint anything with size.

spectras only

Reaction score
When I was in the army back in 1966, often we had our military exercise in forested areas. We had these huge bastards all around us. We had our Kalashnikovs ready to empty full rounds if they'd get any closer. :D
Fast forward to 6:00 in the video to see one being taken out.It doesn't even seem as large as I've seen some in person, myself

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
The grandfather of a guy who once worked for me suffered a heart attack while slopping their domestic hogs. The hogs then ate him.

Similar deal happened here locally. Older gentleman, fed pigs the everyday, they were "buddies". Guy fell (not known how, but they assume during the excitement they knocked him over), broke his hip, nobody around......... They ate him.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It can work, but i have a scar on my leg where a 30.06 failed to pentrate the skull of a charging bore twice!

I was running back up foe a pair of bow hunters. Took w arrows 3 30.06. Hit me thru me in the air and died 20' later.

I bought a guide gun in 45 70, not been out since.

buck35

Reaction score
Similar deal happened here locally. Older gentleman, fed pigs the everyday, they were "buddies". Guy fell (not known how, but they assume during the excitement they knocked him over), broke his hip, nobody around......... They ate him.
As a kid on my cousins farm it was drilled in to never get in the pen . And a similar story as to why to stay outside the fence at all times.
The little piglets I took to show and tell were a big hit however. 2nd grade , about 65 .:eek:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Under gunned IMO these critters have a thick layer of "armor" recommend a heavy round , I used 180 in the 06' and 44 mag .....

Sexually-mature male feral hogs (also called wild hogs; Sus scrofa) possess a thickened subcutaneous layer of tissue, commonly referred to as the “shield” or “shoulder plate,” which overlies the outermost muscles in the boar’s lateral shoulder region (Fig. 1). This unique anatomical structure, a secondary sexual characteristic found in this species, serves a reported protective function for boars fighting for breeding opportunities with estrous sows (Feral Hog Behavior).

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score

Now how many of you will be watching Snatch this weekend?

Last edited:

Old Texan

Reaction score
The below video is off the internet. But I have some friends north of Houston that hunt night varmints. They set up on a large ranch a couple times a year and hunt a feeder that has some big hogs with a 50BMG.....It's been a few years back and I haven't talked with them in a while but if I think of it I'll see if they got any videos.

The ones I have seen of the 50 cal are brutal. When they hit them with .308 or other rounds, the hogs drop or stagger and drop. With the 50, the hogs are knocked over hard and even lifted up in the air a bit and spun going down hard.....Saw a couple head shots where it took a big chunk of skull. These guys had access to all kinds of ammo so it wouldn't surprise if they had some armor piercing stuff.:eek::D

Old Texan

Reaction score
This one is really cool...

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

There are TONS of guys who hog hunt with 5.56...shot placement is a bit more important with it, as well as choice of ammo.

A lot of hog hunting around where I live in Texas / DFW-ish is setting up a stand about 50 yards from a feeder...most guys I know hunt them well-under 100 yards.

My current hog guns are 5.56, 6.5 CM (waaaay overkill at these distances) and 300 Blackout (16” barrel with supersonic hunting ammo).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Taboma

Reaction score
There are TONS of guys who hog hunt with 5.56...shot placement is a bit more important with it, as well as choice of ammo.

A lot of hog hunting around where I live in Texas / DFW-ish is setting up a stand about 50 yards from a feeder...most guys I know hunt them well-under 100 yards.

My current hog guns are 5.56, 6.5 CM (waaaay overkill at these distances) and 300 Blackout (16” barrel with supersonic hunting ammo).

Sounds like they're shit eating, so where's all these dead hogs ending up ?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I remember the old Bill Burrud True Adventure travel logs on ch 13 in the morning. One episode they'd hunt Feral Hogs in Texas with Thompsons "decksweepers".
Always wanted to do that too.

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score

Shot placment means nothing whem your being charged bt a 300# hog. I hit one right between the eyes twice both times cracked the skull and glanced off. The bullets then traveled under the skin leaving middle of the back. The 3rd shot broke its teeth and cam out basicly the ass. This was after it took 2 arrows, both almost perfect lung shots. This was 180 grains coreloks in 30.06 Like i said i bought marlin guide gun in 45 70 for all my future pig hunts.

pronstar

Reaction score
Shot placment means nothing whem your being charged bt a 300# hog. I hit one right between the eyes twice both times cracked the skull and glanced off. The bullets then traveled under the skin leaving middle of the back. The 3rd shot broke its teeth and cam out basicly the ass. This was after it took 2 arrows, both almost perfect lung shots. This was 180 grains coreloks in 30.06 Like i said i bought marlin guide gun in 45 70 for all my future pig hunts.

The hunting I’m referring to is in elevated stands. I honestly don’t know anyone who rifle-hunts hogs on foot.

The only logs hunters I know who hunt hogs on foot, use a bow-and-arrow...with a 10mm handgun for added protection.

Giant pigs are somewhat rare where we hunt, but they are around. Most are in the 100-150 lb range.

But that’s not to say that other folks don’t hunt differently. Certainly I’ve read about it, I just don’t know anyone who does.

pronstar

Reaction score
Sounds like they're shit eating, so where's all these dead hogs ending up ?

Smaller hogs are tasty.
Larger males are shit.

There are organizations who take them as donations to feed the needy.

I don’t know anyone who lets them go to waste.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
The hunting I’m referring to is in elevated stands. I honestly don’t know anyone who rifle-hunts hogs on foot.

The only logs hunters I know who hunt hogs on foot, use a bow-and-arrow...with a 10mm handgun for added protection.

Giant pigs are somewhat rare where we hunt, but they are around. Most are in the 100-150 lb range.

But that’s not to say that other folks don’t hunt differently. Certainly I’ve read about it, I just don’t know anyone who does.

I have never hunted from a stand, and only once from a blind.( not counting ducks, it was for elk, it was more like meat shopping, i did not care for it) every thing else has been spot and stalk. Which is what were were doing. 2 both hunters and me with 30.06 hanging back as back up. We had done this 20 or so times, it was only the 2nd time i had even pulled the rifle off my shoulder. I have a friend thats wants me to take him, he wants to use a 357 mag. I think he is nuts. I could see a 44 454 460 500 etc.

Its sobering to watch a pig take a 30.06 to the skull and not miss a step. I had a m1 with an adjustable gas plug. Heavy, but at that time it was the largest rifle i owned. I debated on a 12 ga with slugs, but i wanted something i could get an animal off of some one if needed. An ar10 woth an acog would also be an awesome choice. I just want to be sure so 4570 it is

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Dad grew up on a hog farm in Iowa. Where we get our work ethic. He used to send us back when we were kids to help the Grandparents. If anything died on the farm or needed to be disposed of they drug it to the hog pen and let them at it. He has stories from when he was a kid. Steer would die in winter and he would use a axe to chop into it so the hogs could get it. Nothing but bones left. My Uncle had a confine setup. A hog would get a cut and next thing you know it's a pile of bones. They would eat everything but the bones.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I've read they are good eating. At worst they could make good dog food.
Any recipes?

pronstar

Reaction score
My Dad grew up on a hog farm in Iowa. Where we get our work ethic. He used to send us back when we were kids to help the Grandparents. If anything died on the farm or needed to be disposed of they drug it to the hog pen and let them at it. He has stories from when he was a kid. Steer would die in winter and he would use a axe to chop into it so the hogs could get it. Nothing but bones left. My Uncle had a confine setup. A hog would get a cut and next thing you know it's a pile of bones. They would eat everything but the bones.

farmo83

Reaction score
I've read they are good eating. At worst they could make good dog food.
Any recipes?

When we hunted in leakey we would shoot a little piglet and slow roast it in a pan with bottle of goya sauce in the pan. Phenomenal. I highly reccomend it. The big ones are pretty gamey the only thing we would do is cut the back strap out and make porknchops.

kiethco

Reaction score
Yet another reason to love California! No Tornadoes, Floods or wild pigs eating my face off! Now let me go fill up on my $3.65 gallon of gas.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Yet another reason to love California! No Tornadoes, Floods or wild pigs eating my face off! Now let me go fill up on my $3.65 gallon of gas.
Calif got pigs , Coalinga and up I hunted them lots of hunting ranches, also earth quakes wetbacks :) a fag for governor lol