WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Texas Power Outages

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Thankfully nothing up here. Would seriously suck to lose power. The freezing rain and sleet has been constant since Sunday night.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Texas is on their own. They're grid isnt connected to the rest of the U.S. power grid. It would probably help if they would connect but they don't want to so they will continue to have issues until they correct what is wrong in their system.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Power has been going out all throughout Austin and area all day. Ours has been on but I know many people that didn't have power today and they are from different areas all over. Working from home for two days has been a nice change but I'll be back in the lab tomorrow morning.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Speaking of Texas, what’s with T-DOT? They never heard of ice melt for roads? Most of the Rocky Mountain states are good at putting a solution down to stop ice and keep it from forming. Watching the news and holy balls, the roads look like skating rinks. How is that allowed to happen?

4Waters

Reaction score
Speaking of Texas, what’s with T-DOT? They never heard of ice melt for roads? Most of the Rocky Mountain states are good at putting a solution down to stop ice and keep it from forming. Watching the news and holy balls, the roads look like skating rinks. How is that allowed to happen?
They might have to invest in that with all this global warming

USMC2010

Reaction score
Texas, metro population areas specifically, are too busy focusing on woke. This is the 3rd year in a row for Austin having winter problems, that's as far as I have tracked. Problem is, people here drive 30 mph under the speed limit with hazard lights on when it is raining, or 85 mph in vehicles not safe to do so. The roads and road plan here sucks and it probably isn't budget wise to have what equipment would be needed on hand for the area for only 2-3 days a year.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Traditionally Texas doesn’t get weather like they’ve been having. They don’t have the infrastructure set up in the southern part of the state For plow sand and salt storage. The roads are also not designed to be plowed there… Reflectors are not recessed etc.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Traditionally Texas doesn’t get weather like they’ve been having. They don’t have the infrastructure set up in the southern part of the state For plow sand and salt storage. The roads are also not designed to be plowed there… Reflectors are not recessed etc.

Yeah, but, but...

Global warming is making it colder!

😱😁

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
This time where I am at, ice is dropping trees on a lot of lines, elsewhere I can't speak of.
Ok got it. This seems to happen yearly there. I imagine putting all the power lines subterranean would be expensive.

USMC2010

Reaction score
Ok got it. This seems to happen yearly there. I imagine putting all the power lines subterranean would be expensive.
I know some areas have very old, very big oak trees. Might be why my area is ok. It is a new neighborhood with underground power.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
You’d think that. We’ve got people ice skating in my neighborhood. Only ones out are those in UTVs towing their kids on sleds.

baja-chris

Reaction score
I drove through the ice storm Monday and TDOT had saline tankers and sanding trucks on the interstate but I think the resources were overwhelmed. It was getting bad and got worse after we went across. Windshield 50% iced over, wipers iced, mirrors completely iced over, etc. Tens of Thousands of miles of highways impacted

Orange Juice

Reaction score
497D4B93-AA85-4CF0-A92A-368CA3CF357C.jpeg

Dallas

rrrr

Reaction score
The outages have nothing to do with generation capacity. ERCOT announced yesterday there is plenty of reserve in the system. When ice storms occur, the precipitation collects on power lines. The weight breaks the conductors or cause them to touch grounded items like trees and poles. The ice causes trees to fall on conductors, also creating outages.

farmo83

Reaction score
It's not generation related, ercot has reserves ready to roll. Ice build up on lines locally is the issue.

When a hurricane rolls through there is power outages to 😉

TCHB

Reaction score
The outages have nothing to do with generation capacity. ERCOT announced yesterday there is plenty of reserve in the system. When ice storms occur, the precipitation collects on power lines. The weight breaks the conductors or cause them to touch grounded items like trees and poles. The ice causes trees to fall on conductors, also creating outages.
Go underground.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
The point i was trying to say is texas is all on their own. They may have the capacity but if lines go down from their generation plants they dont have any ties to the outside states. Im sure they have built in some redundancy where they can switch transmission to feed abnormally until conditions or issues are fixed. Wasnt trying to make a dig in any kind of way.

But the circuit maps for transmission across the U.S. are quite funny. Everyone is happy in the sand box and theres texas just building thier own sand castle all by themselves.

rrrr

Reaction score
Hurricanes? Ice storms? No power?

Sounds fun!

Meanwhile in SoCal...

View attachment 1195300

Seriously though...Hope you guys make it through this ok. Scary shit! 😔
It's been a non-event for us. We went to MegaLowMart on Monday and picked up necessities. I bought 10 gallons of diesel for my torpedo heater to keep the shop warm, and already had 15 gallons of non-ethanol gasoline for my 4 kW and 7.5 kW generators. We haven't had any power interruptions.

I knew it would be above 32° F by midday Thursday, so those quantities were sufficient for anticipated power outages. Right now it's about 34° F, so the roads are slowly clearing.

This freezing rain/ice storm has been a little unusual because of the precipitation duration. Normally the precip lasts less than 24 hours, the next morning a high pressure system pushes out the clouds and moisture, then the sun comes out and the ice melts by afternoon.

This one had steady precip for about 60 hours, and the ambient temperature stayed below 32° F during that time. I didn't bother going anywhere. Many of my fellow Texans that own lifted 4X4 pickups believe that allows them to drive on all icy roads at speeds approaching 50 MPHand that hills and curves don't matter. It's comical driving along the multiple lane toll roads out in our part of the county during ice storms, because there are dozens of those lifted 4X4s waaay out in the weeds.

I know the limitations if I must go somewhere. My 4WD Excursion will get me there as long as someone doesn't hit me. But as I said, the boneheads think that little switch on the dash allows them to let 'er rip. You hafta stay away from them.

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We’re slowly melting.
We had at least an inch of solid ice on the ground yesterday, it was slick as snot.

Took this pic just a minute ago, still icy in South Dallas…North Dallas snow all melted yesterday.

My truck has mud tires, they’re useless in these conditions.
Michelin LTX on the suburban have a lot of sipes so it’s drivable if necessary…but the whole metroplex shuts down in these conditions so there’s nowhere to go.

0D477F42-A882-405E-9148-7E83C9B6517E.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
What happens to your pool and equipment during all this??
Keep the pumps running and it’s all good.

But my pumps were offline during the last freeze a month or so ago, so I drained pipes and pumps that I could, and wrapped everything else in moving blankets.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
We ended up with an ice dam which leaked water into a crawl space aside the media room. Then an ice pack just up from the ice dam and around a corner also leaked into the same crawl space, but further went down the wall into the garage. I got up on the roof today and cleared the problem frozen gutter with hot water and all the ice from the problem areas. No more leaks. Most the water went down inside of brick. But I need to decide whether to open up the garage drywall to look for wet insulation. Fabulous.

A bunch of neighbors also had ice dam issues. All but one have the same builder home as we do. Guess I need to figure out who to call to permanently solve this issue.

Generally, I don’t think Prosper got it near as bad as other areas south of us, looking at pictures. Kids may be home tomorrow for 4th day this week.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
North Dallas area didn’t get hit too hard, just lots of ice. Fortunately no building or property damage. Still haven’t plowed our road. Still melting. All deliveries pushed out to next week.

Attachments

• 3183E944-2073-46B6-8DF9-6917A233D3E2.jpeg
    3183E944-2073-46B6-8DF9-6917A233D3E2.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 8FDEE5E4-C590-4C98-A503-413ED3A1274B.jpeg
    8FDEE5E4-C590-4C98-A503-413ED3A1274B.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 17
  • B530E867-7D68-4565-BB1D-BE6C601BD771.jpeg
    B530E867-7D68-4565-BB1D-BE6C601BD771.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 17

rrrr

Reaction score
What happens to your pool and equipment during all this??
Pool? What pool? 😁

I'm not missing pool ownership. The new owner of our house in Plano is gonna be spending some substantial money on that hole in his backyard, he just doesn't know it yet. It's been 13 years since the last refresh.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Pool? What pool? 😁

I'm not missing pool ownership. The new owner of our house in Plano is gonna be spending some substantial money on that hole in his backyard, he just doesn't know it yet. It's been 13 years since the last refresh.

I was asking Robert about his pool. I just happen to know he has one. 😊