WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Texas Sux

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
A Gatesville position would be ideal.

That can happen. We'll see. We just opened our options up. Figured your way was far enough away from Austin but the two big things is that housing was cheaper in Abilene and you didn't have to spot pick for the right schools. The entire Wylie school district up there is either 9's or 10's.

I'll call you when I get a chance.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That can happen. We'll see. We just opened our options up. Figured your way was far enough away from Austin but the two big things is that housing was cheaper in Abilene and you didn't have to spot pick for the right schools. The entire Wylie school district up there is either 9's or 10's.

I'll call you when I get a chance.

Can u pm me some info in that prep school [emoji4] price and how to get in

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Can u pm me some info in that prep school [emoji4] price and how to get in

It's a charter school so it's publicly funded. It's a lottery. To get in. We got inaugural year. Actually was on wait list initially but then some people backed out and I got a call one day for my oldest to go to kindergarten. Computer is being dumb here at work but I can send you some info tonight. Remind me of you don't hear anything.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
It's a charter school so it's publicly funded. It's a lottery. To get in. We got inaugural year. Actually was on wait list initially but then some people backed out and I got a call one day for my oldest to go to kindergarten. Computer is being dumb here at work but I can send you some info tonight. Remind me of you don't hear anything.

Maybe your oldest got our oldest's spot. :) We backed out when we got the fund raising info before school even started, plus other things.
But, I have heard good things about the school. Hoped it worked out well and you find a good place in Texas. :thumbup:

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
When should I get on the list Eli will b 2 in sept. I'm on c and Barbara do literally a 3 minute walk I want him to go there [emoji2]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Maybe your oldest got our oldest's spot. :) We backed out when we got the fund raising info before school even started, plus other things.
But, I have heard good things about the school. Hoped it worked out well and you find a good place in Texas. :thumbup:

Yikes. Shoulda stayed. Fundraising is not required at all. They have a meeting every year about it but I do t think it's mandatory anymore. The first couple years it was but I'd sign in and leave. I do give 50 a month but because I want to. Nobody hounds you or makes you feel bad if you can't participate in anything financially. Things just obviously go better with funding. Like the class events and parties and holidays. We get info for it and asked if we wouldn't mind a small donation of 2 or 3 bucks to help with food or supplies. The kids benefit huge. And they aren't forced to stand outside Staters selling candy bars.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
When should I get on the list Eli will b 2 in sept. I'm on c and Barbara do literally a 3 minute walk I want him to go there [emoji2]

You'll have to wait until the year he will be starting Kindergarten. Then towards the beginning of the year their will be a pre enrollment meeting. You'll have to attend that as its mandatory and you'll get all the info on the required documents and when signup will be. Then at some point their will be a lottery. Hope you get picked. Once all the spots are filled they keep drawing until done and the order is the waiting list. If you are low on the list you have a good chance as some people back out. We were bummed we didn't get in but my son was 12 I think. Well we got in. Probably tougher now that it's proven and everyone knows what it's about.

If you are open to home schooling the. Take Independent Study as a backup. They have different levels. One is totally at home and just turn in work but can go for extra curricular and field trips and non core stuff like music and computers etc. the other is part time where you go two or three days a week and the rest is at home. Can still go for all the extras. I'd definitely try for that. Reason is most teachers will just let you come everyday anyway and it's actually nice if your schedule allows to go on 3 or 4 day weekend trips as your kid doesn't have to be in school.

Soooo the other thing about IS is those students have priority over the wait list. So if you are 200 on the wait list but get into IS then take it and ask to be put on the list for full time. You automatically get bumped up to the top unless someone else in IS did the same thing and had a better number than you. I know folks that started off this way. It's how they got in. Once one kid is in then siblings get in first before new enrollees. Get your first kid in even if through IS for a year or two and when you make him a little brother/sister or two then they'll get in too.

You'll be all set.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Glad to help.

And if you are on C I know where that's at. You are real close. Some people come from Eastvale or further. Got in as founding members so that outdoes residency requirement. Won't say where I live in an open forum but maybe I'll need to drop by your pad for a beer sometime.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
U should swing by sometime for sure. A shot of the school from the corner of my street ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429668737.708105.jpg [emoji2]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Hey Vic PM me your email. I'll forward you an email I just got from the school about this years lottery. Will let you start to plan. Unfortunately though you better hope the Good Lord shines down on you to get you in.

This year everyone in the drawing is going straight to the waiting list. All spots are filled already by returning students or other exemptions such as siblings or staff members kids.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
It's official. Got the job offer and hit the academy next week. I'm going to be a Correctional Officer for the State of Texas.

It's been a looooong six years since I decided I was done with my career path and wanted to make a difference in some sort of law enforcement. God has, in his time, blessed me and my family.

Funny thing is, I'm not scared about felons and all that. I'm scared about leaving my family here and going and starting a new life for us and sending back for them. Excited but nervous.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Excellent information and a huge congrats

It's official. Got the job offer and hit the academy next week. I'm going to be a Correctional Officer for the State of Texas.

It's been a looooong six years since I decided I was done with my career path and wanted to make a difference in some sort of law enforcement. God has, in his time, blessed me and my family.

Funny thing is, I'm not scared about felons and all that. I'm scared about leaving my family here and going and starting a new life for us and sending back for them. Excited but nervous.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

Congrats!! I hear ya on the nervous about leaving family that's really the only reason I'm still in Cali. Washington is actually perfect but I couldn't do that to my parents [emoji2]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Congrats!! I hear ya on the nervous about leaving family that's really the only reason I'm still in Cali. Washington is actually perfect but I couldn't do that to my parents [emoji2]

My parents are moving and my brother already moved. Albeit they'll be 3 hours away. Got another brother that's studying and I'll surely miss him but gotta do what's right for me, my wife and my kids. Taking a niece with us to help her start college and she'll help us with the kids.

In laws plan on moving at retirement in a couple years and stay half the year by us and the other half in Vail by my sister in law.

Hard part is the good friends we are leaving behind but visits and phone will have to do.

The nerve racking though is my wife and kids behind until we get things straight for them to join me. Going to be a looooong couple months or so. Thank God for FaceTime.

screaming pete

Reaction score
Congrats VOODOOMAN... ill be in Dallas the end of the month ..I guess the Thunderstorms have been Hell the last week. But the lakes are 100% full:thumbsup

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Congrats VOODOOMAN... ill be in Dallas the end of the month ..I guess the Thunderstorms have been Hell the last week. But the lakes are 100% full:thumbsup

Thanks. What are you doing in Dallas? Doing some BBQ events?

If so I might have to visit on the weekend.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the other crazy thing... I'm going to a special academy. It doesn't have any officer housing available. We've decided not to reschedule because it would put us a couple weeks later(want the kids to start new school year day 1 in Texas) and this academy is actually at my unit. Want to be close so I can go check out the area at night and look at houses on the weekend etc.

If anyone has some ideas for a place to stay for six plus weeks I'm all ears. I'm thinking I'm just going to get a roach motel for the first couple of nights and network with other recruits. Maybe others are from out of state and will want to split a place.

All meals are provided(yeah I know I know prison food) so I just need a bed and shower.

SR

Cajun Member
Reaction score
Texas is a kick in the ass! We've often thought of moving to the "Hill Country", beautiful land and great locals. Don't know if it has been mentioned already but the deer hunting should blow your mind, lots of deer with open land where you can stretch out a rifle. Hope things move along quickly for you and the family and it all lands like you want it to. Good luck Chief.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

Great news......:thumbsup

Time will fly and your family will be here before you know it. :D

screaming pete

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the other crazy thing... I'm going to a special academy. It doesn't have any officer housing available. We've decided not to reschedule because it would put us a couple weeks later(want the kids to start new school year day 1 in Texas) and this academy is actually at my unit. Want to be close so I can go check out the area at night and look at houses on the weekend etc.

If anyone has some ideas for a place to stay for six plus weeks I'm all ears. I'm thinking I'm just going to get a roach motel for the first couple of nights and network with other recruits. Maybe others are from out of state and will want to split a place.

All meals are provided(yeah I know I know prison food) so I just need a bed and shower.

Did you ever think the Special Academy is for recruits from California and they want to check you out first......:D

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Well you will probably all think I'm crazy but I'm not going to hide anything.

As Stickman07 warned me Abilene isn't all it was cracked up to be. But we were adamant because of the school districts.

I lasted a few days and packed up and came home. For now our place is here. There are some drawbacks to California obviously but we have built a great life here. We found that the biggest things bugging us (kids are in badass school so no issue) were wanting more some land, slowing down from the rat race and me chasing a dream job.

Of course cost of living but my wife makes damn good money and I'll figure out my end of the deal. More on that later.

Land because who wouldn't want to have a few acres to screw around on. But while we could afford it elsewhere then we'd be busting out ass for lower pay so might as well wait instead of forcing it. Maybe someday get a transfer like PROnstar is looking for and you get what you want instead of starting over. What good is all this land and fun stuff if you aren't home to enjoy it.

Slowing down from the rat race is the big thing. We have lots of fun but some of it is just killing us these days. We are seriously considering selling the boat. So much fun on the lake for those few hours but so much work packing and cleaning and 4 hour drives each way and then being exhausted for a week after. That money can put a pool in the backyard and we enjoy every weekend 30 seconds out the back door. No 5 acres but home oasis and I am always shooting and stuff anyway so I don't need my own land to do it especially since going to classes or trap ranges etc etc wouldn't be at home anyway. All the enormous cost of boating in another state. Would totally keep it if the lake was close but it's not. If we ever move I can buy another boat. We have friends with boats and know the drill and they know how we take care of stuff so the couple times a year instead of couple times a month we'd like to still go to the river we can rent or just put gas in our friends boats and help with everything.

We sold our trailer to buy an RV and the Havasu house sold a couple months ago so no house payment or boat storage we can get the RV we've wanted and go camping which is so much family fun and do lots of local stuff and occasional long trips like we've always done but we are never exhausted like just a day in Havasu.

Just time to change it up a bit is all.

Job. Yep I've been chasing law enforcement for years. May be time to hang it up. Texas prisons pays Waffle House wages. I was taking it to just get something as I'm tired of logistics and tired of being underpaid overworked middle management. I'd still like LEO but that may never happen. My buddy with LA Sheriff is lobbying hard for me to apply. They apparently need people and he didn't want me to leave for Texas anyway. When I came back the first thing he offered me after a welcome back was an application. I may apply but not chase it. Apply and let life go on and if it happens later then awesome.

I've got some opportunities that have been offered to me that will be flexible enough that my wife can still be primary bread winner and we both can still take care of the kids. Once my daughter starts kinder gate in a couple years then I can ramp up work or look for and 8-5er and my wife can go days in a surgery center or something and get off nights in the hospital.

The Texas job they weren't up front about. Found out after I got there that it was mandatory overtime. And digging made me find out it was that way for three years and will likely be for a good 4-5 more years of not beyond. They are only 40% staffed at the unit. 12 hour days for 6 straight snd only 2 days off in between. With turnout and security measures and relief you are talking a 13 hour day. Minimum hour commute each way from where we were looking at houses and that's 15 hours. But longer in winter with wrecks from the ice etc. I witnessed gnarly accidents everyday last week on interstate 20 and its May. Nasty weather combined with super high speed limits and knuckleheads that don't slow down when needed. Wednesday a big rig flipped and covered all lanes. If you didn't get off in time you were screwed for hours.

Safety issues with overworked officers on forced overtime and an understaffed facility. And you should see some of the people they let in. The PAT was a joke. At least the scoring. Exercises are similar to California but if you can breathe you can pass. If I'm in a fight with 5 convicts I need some good backup. And if I didn't die inside I'd probably fall asleep on the interstate going home.

Even if I did survive my family would NEVER see me. That's not what we were looking for. It's not a better life without me in the picture. Anyhow I could go on but this is a mini novel in itself.

Just knew there would be comments and questions about all this craziness when I was so gung ho to go. Honestly, I was but I was pushing it at the wrong time for not all the right reasons. I believe God showed my stubborn self what I wasn't seeing and it took a 2800 mile week for me to see it. My home is here with my friends and family for now and of its somewhere else at another time then those paths will be laid before me without so much darn effort in trying to force it to happen.

Will figure out things here but it's nice to be joyful and content about things instead of being worry some anymore.

Texas is still a pretty darn cool place and I'd like to visit some more anday be one day live there but it won't be Abilene if I ever do.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
So, Texas really sux? :D
Sorry it didn't work out as you had hoped. There's always going to be pros and cons to everything, sacrifices to be made.
As long as your priorities are in the right order. :thumbsup
At least, you did your research instead of moving your family out there blindly.
Welcome Back.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Make the right decisions for your family. That's all that matters. :thumbup:

Dammit tho...was looking forward to seeing you guys out there.

rrrr

Reaction score
I wondered about your decision to take a job with TDC. I figured you had experience in the prison systems and had found an admin type position. It has to be one of the most thankless jobs there is.

My brother lives in Abilene, he and his family have made a life there and love it, but I wouldn't care for it.

Texas has lots going for it, including a strong economy and low taxes. It's not California, though. It gets damned hot, there aren't any mountains to speak of, and the Gulf has dirty green water.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but your decision was a good one.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I wondered about your decision to take a job with TDC. I figured you had experience in the prison systems and had found an admin type position. It has to be one of the most thankless jobs there is.

My brother lives in Abilene, he and his family have made a life there and love it, but I wouldn't care for it.

Texas has lots going for it, including a strong economy and low taxes. It's not California, though. It gets damned hot, there aren't any mountains to speak of, and the Gulf has dirty green water.

Sorry it didn't work for you, but your decision was a good one.

Yeah and for Waffle House wages. CDCR pays well and considers officers fully sworn peace officers.

Texas does have some good stuff and there was nice things about Abilene but the grass isn't always greener. Take time to do some research and find the right patch.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
Yeah and for Waffle House wages. CDCR pays well and considers officers fully sworn peace officers.

Texas does have some good stuff and there was nice things about Abilene but the grass isn't always greener. Take time to do some research and find the right patch.

Are the low wages a result of prison privatization? I know Texas was in the news a lot a few years ago for farming out corrections to big corps.

I am planning on heading out there to Hill County in the nearish future myself but not sure what to do for income. I do IT work and maybe I can swing a remote job working from home or something. Hopefully I can be pretty liquid by then and not need as much.

Ryph

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You gotta do what's right for you and your family and what u described didn't sound like it. Guess we are neighbors again [emoji4]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Are the low wages a result of prison privatization? I know Texas was in the news a lot a few years ago for farming out corrections to big corps.

I am planning on heading out there to Hill County in the nearish future myself but not sure what to do for income. I do IT work and maybe I can swing a remote job working from home or something. Hopefully I can be pretty liquid by then and not need as much.

Ryph

No. Texas has more prisons per capita than anywhere else. They do have a bunch of private ones but far more state controlled ones like probably 90% are state run. I think the low wages have to do with a few things. Most corrections departments pay low with the exception of California, New York and maybe one or two other states. NYC does well too. CO's are peed on. Thankless job but every bit as dangerous if not more than a street cop. Locked inside the wire next to felons without a gun on your hip. Feds pay okay but benefits are great and you get locality pay too etc etc.

Besides being peed on then Texas has no unions and is completely except for maybe like Dallas PD or something like that. Not that I'm for unions but in certain things it may actually be needed. I only say this because as a tax paying citizen I want good people staffing those prisons do violent felons don't get out. Gotta be some middle ground.

All in all if I was single I'd do the job. I don't know your status but of you were interested in the job and did a unit in or near hill country that wasn't forced overtime you could do 4 days on and 4 days off. Crap pay but extra money and good benefits and retirement. Just have to get authorization for outside work but freelance IT work shouldn't be a problem. TDCJ just has to be preference.

For me the money can't support my family and it's lifestyle and also the hours at the specific unit (need to be in great schools) did not afford me any time at all to raise my kids. Right person in the right place it could work.

I'll be clear here. If I had to clean toilets with my own toothbrush to support my family I would. I'm just blessed with a wife who's and RN and makes good coin. So I gotta swallow some humble pie and put away my pride and so what I gotta do so my kids have a mommy and daddy.

And Hill Country is good stuff.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Glad to hear you saw the issues before going all in. I have been scratching my head about your interest in the TDC at entry level. It's not the type of job I'd ever want with what you've learned, low pay and crazy hours. I know folks that have higher positions that do well, but that takes time and politics to get to.

I also was concerned about your interest in Abilene as it's miles from anywhere and limited in jobs compared to so many other great places.

Do what you gotta do my friend and it'll all work out. TX has lots of job opportunities going, mostly energy sector related. Only LE that pays is DPS and that's going to require schooling and political connections these days, at least from what I've observed.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
I am probably a little too old at 47 to start up in corrections at this point. My kids are 18 and 15. Mrs. Ryph is a full time HS teacher but I don't know how much longer she has to work due to her health issues. In fact the only thing keeping her going at the moment is that she has less than 2 weeks left until Summer Break. None of them have any interest in going to TX. I just know I can't keep doing what I am where I am for much longer. I figure that once my kids get going with college they won't really be around that much anyway. My parents jammed with a couple months notice to the other side of the country on me when I was 19 and I turned out OK...

My plan was to buy a piece of land outright and do some subsistence farming and figure out something else for whatever other income I would need. Mrs. Ryph wants to spend her time on the beach and she would miss it being so far a way. I tell her you're 30 miles from the beach now and go a couple times a year. If we semi-retired, you could spend weeks at a time on a beach if you wanted, whenever you wanted.

Ryph

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
How Lake Travis?

Nice area. Lake was super low and docks on ground but I think that's changed with these nasty storms.

That area is nice, it's Hill Country with lots to do and close to Austin to go and do some big city stuff but it's not MetroPlex like DFW. Other lakes in the area too such as Belton and of course all the other Lower Colorado lakes.

Honestly we were looking hard at Central Texas but for us somewhat younger folks with kids it was the schools that led me to Abilene since I was doing the prison thing and they don't have availability in the DFW area.

Central some good lakes and plenty of outdoor type stuff to do and it's within a couple hours of all the metros if you need some concrete. Austin only an hour away or even less. Just couldn't find a place with great schools from K-12. Except for Dripping Springs and Lakeway but those areas are expensive.

No income tax but property tax is high to make up for it. Dripping Springs I could afford a great 1 acre lot and bichen pad but when the 3 percent property tax kicks in at a grand a month well you get the point. And that's without the shop I want and the pool mama wants.

stickman07

Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work out for ya. Didn't really think Abilene was gonna be your bag & I've only been there / through it a couple times. Everything in and around Austin is sky high $$$$ wise, thus the reason we live where we do. I commute an hour one way to work but pay half the property tax they do down there. Hit me up if y'all head back out here to visit, or if ya give a job another shot. Lot of local PD's always hiring & I really think you would dig the area where we live. Takes some gettin' used to, but worth it in the long run. Small town USA feel. Best of luck.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work out for ya. Didn't really think Abilene was gonna be your bag & I've only been there / through it a couple times. Everything in and around Austin is sky high $$$$ wise, thus the reason we live where we do. I commute an hour one way to work but pay half the property tax they do down there. Hit me up if y'all head back out here to visit, or if ya give a job another shot. Lot of local PD's always hiring & I really think you would dig the area where we live. Takes some gettin' used to, but worth it in the long run. Small town USA feel. Best of luck.

Thanks. You certainly did try and talk me out of it. Your area seems awesome and I'd love to check it out. When I go visit my brother I'll hit you up. I owe you some beers. If I can scrape up the money for Helo time then I want to shoot pigs sometime as well.

Abilene did have some positives. It was the job that wasn't good. Where you are is likely have the same commute and probably the same ridiculous overtime schedule at understaffed facilities and I can't guarantee good schools for K-12. I could pick one or two but not all three primary, jr high and high.

I'm in the running for my dream job here and if that happens we are definitely staying put for 20 years. Will know soon. If not then who knows but we'll make solid decisions and plans this time instead of rushing into it.

We'll see. God showed me some stuff on that trip and I'm the better for it. For now boat is for sale and a pool is going in once it sells. Gotta change it up a little and find a way to slow down here.