WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thank you Mike aka Fishing Fool and others / ate some humble pie tonight

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Weird the Lake showed over full. Just a shift in the bottom? Could you mark on a map where it was? Thank you for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Full pool is the minimum they let the lake get to, the average level is probably between 447' and 448'. Also I don't think the level was really 446.77, I found another source stating 446.06 @ 7: 00 am on the 27th and probably dropped though out the day, I'd bet the lake was in the 445' range when One a Day grounded. The only good source is really the Bureau of Reclamation and their website has been down for about a week.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
The half mile of dredged buoy-marked channel on the California side is unfortunately gone. When the LH Marine Association did that project back in December 2011 it was a monumental task of red-tape, permitting and fund raising (all the dredge work was funded with private donations). It was projected that the channel would need a dredging tune-up about every three years to keep it open. Only once has it been dredged since then and no governmental agency (city, county, state or Federal) has stepped up to keep it in usable condition. If things continue as they are, at some time in the not too distant future navigating from lake to gorge may only be a PWC activity.

I've never understood why they couldn't get their act together and take care of the dangerous areas of that lake. Even something as simple as the south end of the channel because it gets sketchy below 448', as drunk people put their chairs in the water right next to where boats are supposed to have enough room for two-way traffic.

I usually won't try my route upriver below 446', as it gets narrow and someone is going to eventually have an accident on plane.

Dredging is not that expensive...almost all waterways keep a maintenance schedule...silt is going to happen.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Was considering going up today but will probably not now. Glad all is well. Think I saw your boat at the detail shop this AM. Looks good!

Yeah, annual trip to Jessie was planned for today.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Did the same thing back in February. I know exactly where you hit.

So, to be safe on the way back down I stayed further east of the reed island and got stuck again. Luckily we were able to push a few feet and got her floating again.

We took the jet skis up to the gorge Sunday morning to take a look and there are several low spots that popped up. My wife saw lots of boats stuck Saturday and Sunday from the house.

FishSniper

Reaction score
The half mile of dredged buoy-marked channel on the California side is unfortunately gone. When the LH Marine Association did that project back in December 2011 it was a monumental task of red-tape, permitting and fund raising (all the dredge work was funded with private donations). It was projected that the channel would need a dredging tune-up about every three years to keep it open. Only once has it been dredged since then and no governmental agency (city, county, state or Federal) has stepped up to keep it in usable condition. If things continue as they are, at some time in the not too distant future navigating from lake to gorge may only be a PWC activity.
Good info I haven’t gone upriver yet this year and didn’t realize that area had been removed. It was getting pretty sketchy through their at the end of last season.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Good info I haven’t gone upriver yet this year and didn’t realize that area had been removed. It was getting pretty sketchy through their at the end of last season.

I saw several boats attempt the bypass last night while we were getting my boat off the mud, it wasnt a good option, they all hit and got stuck in there.

FishSniper

Reaction score
I saw several boats attempt the bypass last night while we were getting my boat off the mud, it wasnt a good option, they all hit and got stuck in there.
Yea our last trip up river last year was it was getting bad. You pretty much had to hug the buoys on the east side of the channel to get through.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I wonder that pathway on the right is a viable option. I’ve done it before but a long time ago.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I’m usually the guy people follow, something changed big time with the line and the no water part didn’t help. After we got off we ran to the springs and back and came through the channel back to Windsor. The water Level in the channel is way low, it’s basically one boat at a time through the narrow section at the south end.

I use the same line you do and was leading the pack on Sunday. Jeremy was behind me and our friend John was behind him. John slowed down and got stuck so Jeremy turned around to help him out and said that it was like 2 feet deep against the reeds and the line was crap.

I used the same line all weekend and was fine, but was probably only drafting like 6 inches....lol

Reactions: DWC

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I always aim for the no wake channel and then scoot in front of reed island and around the point and up. Accelerate the whole way and trim up!

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I always aim for the no wake channel and then scoot in front of reed island and around the point and up. Accelerate the whole way and trim up!

View attachment 871234 View attachment 871234

This is great... except for up river. You have to take that blind left turn as you pop out from behind the reed island. I feel like I'm just setting myself up to get t-boned by a cat doing 100.

HCP3

Reaction score
This is great... except for up river. You have to take that blind left turn as you pop out from behind the reed island. I feel like I'm just setting myself up to get t-boned by a cat doing 100.

Agreed. All is fine untill someone is holding that line coming south. I think @ONE-A-DAY posted about that once if memory serves me correctly.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I just look over the reeds as I approach. A big cat doing 100 will be throwing a roost that can be seen from pretty far back. Have been running that way forever and have never had an issue or any close calls.....[emoji2369][emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
I just look over the reeds as I approach. A big cat doing 100 will be throwing a roost that can be seen from pretty far back. Have been running that way forever and have never had an issue or any close calls.....[emoji2369][emoji2369]

The last time I was coming downriver, I committed to the line, but as I got closer, there was a rookie idling upriver that popped up around the corner. It was close, and I probably washed him down, but it's better than running into him.

That line is tight...especially with the corner, and rookies who don't know the danger of the blind spot don't help. Stay in your lane..

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You wont see my roost, its very risky to hold the line heading up river and my estimate is that its only 10-15 wide at the moment, if anyone else is there either going slow or stopped or fishing going north or coming south you will have to go wider and you will hit, i went wide at the end last night for these reasons and it just wont work.

707dog

Reaction score
sounds like threading the needle is what's needed...with a rookie behind the wheel is low n slow and correct line a good idea with a bigger heavier boat that sits deep in the water?? asking for a friend

FreeBird236

Reaction score
It is somewhat blind, but you can swing out to the right to see a couple hundred yards North, I also don't hit that turn much above 30 until I have full view.

hallett21

Reaction score
I wonder that pathway on the right is a viable option. I’ve done it before but a long time ago.

We did it earlier this month. Don’t lift lol

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I have found this time of year is always a bit sketchy! All the winter sediment causes weird shallows. Once traffic increases and people start using the good line, I think it gets churned up by close calls and ends up widening back up.

Glad you guys are safe Walt. [emoji106]

Sent from a van down by the river. [emoji3577][emoji41]

fishing fool

Reaction score
Where he was is just after the mouth of the lake along the reeds. I have turned up some sand there myself too. There are several shallow spots that MOST people don't know about right now.

No problem Walt, Just glad everything was ok. With the wife doing your hair I did not recognize you.........

Riverryder

Reaction score
where exactly is it? have only the boat in havasu 2 times. both times never had any issues. went this passed friday from pirates to havasu, sand bar back to havasu then back up to pirates. i was scanning the water and just avoided what i thought looked shallow. i saw a couple big cats and a couple center consoles rip right over what i thought was shallow.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
where exactly is it? have only the boat in havasu 2 times. both times never had any issues. went this passed friday from pirates to havasu, sand bar back to havasu then back up to pirates. i was scanning the water and just avoided what i thought looked shallow. i saw a couple big cats and a couple center consoles rip right over what i thought was shallow.

Friday and Monday were completely different, the water dropped a bunch over the weekend

fishing fool

Reaction score
Being beach on a sandbar can you still sell it as "never being beached"

Asking for a friend........................................

fishing fool

Reaction score
Two weeks ago when everyone was asking how the level was the lake dropped 3'-4' but lake level is at 446.95' right now with full pool at 445.00' figure that one out......

Friday and Monday were completely different, the water dropped a bunch over the weekend

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
Tried to go up today. On the CA side, one boat was stuck in the no wake buoy area and I could see them standing in shin deep water. I started dragging as soon as I passed the first buoy and was able to make a U-turn. I talked the to US Boat guy after he pulled them out. He said new sand bars on the AZ side have made that side crazy now too. He had pulled 3 boats off that side today. He said there is still a deep route, but it has shifted from what it usually is. I chickened out and went south. Good Luck and be safe.

CobraDave

Reaction score
We went upriver and it was really high. The mouth was no issue.