WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

That cross country move.

bocco

Reaction score
I know we have a few that have done it. I think NapaNut might be right in the middle of it.

What did it cost for movers? Who did you use?

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I know we have a few that have done it. I think NapaNut might be right in the middle of it.

We sold most of our large furniture, so we were able to use a couple of Pods for the rest of our stuff. It was the least expensive option for us.

fat rat

Member #163
Reaction score
it’s cheaper to ship your stuff than it is to replace assuming you have good quality goods. We did a move 4 years ago from Maryland to Arizona. We filled an entire moving truck. All of our stuff made it safely, that including 4 motorcycles. As far as cost we paid around $13k. Consider the cost of a new bedroom set along with living room, you are damn near $13k. My moving company as out of Va.😎

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
I drove from LA to vegas to rent the largest diesel penske CUZ IT WAS THAT MUCH CHEAPER. MIL drove it towing the classic..we drove the truck and boat. The cost was 1k plus gas

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I drove from LA to vegas to rent the largest diesel penske CUZ IT WAS THAT MUCH CHEAPER. MIL drove it towing the classic..we drove the truck and boat. The cost was 1k plus gas
I picked up a truck in Fort Mohave and drove back to OC for our move almost 7 years ago. The cost to pick up in OC was 4 to 5 times more. I think I paid about $1500 plus fuel.

Smitty7

Reaction score
Brave man. Hope the mother in law likes you.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

3-Upack Containers $5,870
Shipping 1 car from CA to TX-$1,500 "Open transport"
Movers to unload U pack Containers-$300 "I can't remember the exact amount"
Gas from CA to TX-?

If the semi trailers were available in the lane from CA to TX, I would have used Upack's 27' trailer and paid by the foot. It's cheaper than the pods, and you aren't stressing about weight and space. I'd also get movers on both ends because packing and moving sucks. I'm also hoping I have a larger truck next time so I can trailer the additional car in my own enclosed unit vs. having someone else do it.

Edit: I forgot about the hotels in AZ and NM. Probably ~$600-$800

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Sell it all, buy new stuff when you get there. Done this twice, next time the house gets sold furnished.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Hopefully it's gotten better as of late.

Moving seemed to double/triple in cost over the past 2 years.

We ended up doing several runs with a open car trailer and then a final move with a car trailer and the biggest truck uhaul offered. It was about $500 cheaper for a round trip rental out of utah vs a 1 way from california.

We sold most everything big . (couches , dining tablesetc...)

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
If you have a wife that likes to spend money....be careful with the "sell everything" advice. We sold almost everything, and I am WAY WAY WAY behind on this furniture nonsense. I could have purchased a nice car with the delta. 😭 Moving the old stuff would have been far cheaper.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

I spent around $3300 for a 16' long pod from Texas to AZ. I also did a load with a 24+4 enclosed trailer at around $1500 in fuel/hotel costs round trip.

I loaded and unloaded it essentially myself, except @Shlbyntro came and helped me pack the POD, and take home what didn't fit lol.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

We have two 7 X 6.5 X 8 tall U-pack pods reserved CA to NH quoted 6,600. Already shipped one vehicle for 1,800. Another vehicle scheduled for PU March 3rd, around the same price.
No big furniture just boxes of clothes, nick-nacks, a couple of tables maybe if they fit.
Driving motorhome so I’m figuring 300-400 gallons of diesel. 😳

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
3-Upack Containers $5,870
Shipping 1 car from CA to TX-$1,500 "Open transport"
Movers to unload U pack Containers-$300 "I can't remember the exact amount"
Gas from CA to TX-?

If the semi trailers were available in the lane from CA to TX, I would have used Upack's 27' trailer and paid by the foot. It's cheaper than the pods, and you aren't stressing about weight and space. I'd also get movers on both ends because packing and moving sucks. I'm also hoping I have a larger truck next time so I can trailer the additional car in my own enclosed unit vs. having someone else do it.
Is there a weight limit on Upack pods?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score

The best way to advise is for you to answer this question……. How much stuff are you planning on moving?

How many sofa’s, mattresses, armoires, motorcyclyles, boxes, cars, etc.. How much space? Could all your stuff fit in the largest moving truck and your personal vehicles?

You’d be amazed how much fits in a car, that is on a trailer.

My first wife and I moved by ourselves from Palm Desert to Phoenix. Uhaul towing car on trailer. Our tow vehicle pulling our boat.

Now……. With my current wife, it was a full corporate move with no expenses spared, when we moved from Phoenix to Orlando. The movers even made custom crates for our art collection. It cost my wife’s law firm a fortune at the time. Btw, we used Mayflower for that move. Our cars were moved by enclosed high end car haulers. It was well north of 20k ten years ago.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
If you have a wife that likes to spend money....be careful with the "sell everything" advice. We sold almost everything, and I am WAY WAY WAY behind on this furniture nonsense. I could have purchased a nice car with the delta. 😭 Moving the old stuff would have been far cheaper.
Exactly why we didn't sell everything!

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
It’s funny you mention this…….

I am typing this response while sitting on a $9000 custom made leather sofa. We sold our last sofa for $500 when we moved here. The old sofa was fine and would have gave us a few more years of use.

My wife wouldn’t know what the inside of a discount store even looks like? Lol

MOUZER

Reaction score
we were quoted about 15k plus cali to upstate south carolina we did it for 7k 27 ft uhaul filled to the door and a car hauler stuffed all are clothes in trash bags and stuffed the suv we had a 2 story house we sold my truck and sold some furniture weeks before we left made it 4 days

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Yeah, they spend money anyway, just now you've spent 15k to move stuff before buying new stuff... Because nothing goes with the new house. 🙄😂

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
My move was just socal to havasu done multiple trips but my garage was harder than the house stuff, that is all I remember.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
It’s funny you mention this…….

I am typing this response while sitting on a $9000 custom made leather sofa. We sold our last sofa for $500 when we moved here. The old sofa was fine and would have gave us a few more years of use.

My wife wouldn’t know what the inside of a discount store even looks like? Lol
Have you met my wife? She wouldn't know what a coupon was if it bit her in the ass. :oops:😅😂😂

I've got a oversized leather sofa here in cave creek that we had made in texas (similar cost but slightly less than what you spent) that come hell or high water was being moved when we left texas lol.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
We moved everything from NorCal to LOTO ourselves in a 24' enclosed trailer, almost 2000 miles, several trips. My wife finally admits we should've sold or donated a LOT more of our "crap" that we didn't truly need.
I'd recommend some type of pod or box system that someone else moves & liquidate as much as possible.

rrrr

Reaction score
Sell it all, buy new stuff when you get there. Done this twice, next time the house gets sold furnished.
We did this last summer and we moved just thirty miles.

😁

The furniture we kept filled less than half of a 23' rental. I also rented a pod to transport my four Lista cabinets and other tools.

wzuber

Reaction score
I just moved my wife from cali to SLC Utah in late dec. 22. The 20' Uhaul truck rental was $1100.00 all in, used abt 80% of capacity for everything she wanted for a small apartment. We packed/unpacked boxes etc. and hired movers to load/unload @ ea. End. Move total w/ mover labor ($1000.00,) fuel for truck, her car, 2 night hotel and food was $3000.00
Moving co. Est. Were $4-5k. They were all base out of florida. Florida contract law prevails if there's a issue, claim etc. and then there's the timing of the move issue too. All in all it was easier and cheaper to just do it ourselves.
A friend just recently moved from cali. To N. Carolina. He self packed and used pods and shipped cars. He found that was his cheapest option.
Good luck, really research moving co. And contract laws if you go that route. It can get real messy and very expensive if shit goes sideways. Stand by time is big $$$ if you can't get into property when you arrive or planned to.

BabyRay

Reaction score
We sold a vacation home in 2020, and the buyers asked if we’d throw in the furnishings. I’m like “Hell YES!”, because we needed none of it and there was too much snow to get a moving company up there before closing (not impossible to drive, but they just didn’t want to risk it).

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, my wife and our realtor came up with the brilliant idea of verbally counter-offering it at $5k (as though that would make a difference in our financial future). As soon as she told me what they’d done, I knew it was bad news. Of course, at that point, the buyers decided they didn’t want any of it because they only wanted it for temporary use. I got involved and offered it to them for $0, but they no longer had any interest (probably just pissed off).

The buyers then offered to allow me to store the furnishings in their new garage, so I didn’t have to get a mover up there in the snow. I hired several young men to help me move everything from the house to the garage. Then, not having it in writing, they decided they wanted it out before closing (turns out they WERE assholes), so I again hired the young men, rented a truck, drove the truck in the snow (and it was a bitch), and stacked everything in my garage until I was able to get rid of it (gave everything to friends, family and charities).

So, the financial cost of the move was insignificant, but it was a major pain-in-the-ass and it mighta led to an argument or two. 😂